The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 20, 2019, 11:12:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beetle wings as dress decoration  (Read 2203 times)
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« on: January 11, 2018, 03:26:02 am »

There's probably some modern synthetic bits that could simulate this effect

"Wings of so called jewel beetle were collected and dried and then the whole process allowed to get a material that reminded of a shell structure. This shell like material seemed very suitable to create an applique embroidery. However, the embroiderer had to work very carefully while forming a few holes in the sides of the each wing and then to sew them to the surface of fabric. If one of the wings broke, then it was no longer valid...
Time consuming process of work and the exotic material turned the dresses, which were adorned with beetle wings, into real and high value masterpieces."

https://www.fashionologiahistoriana.com/costume-history-legends-essays-in-english/category/victorian-fashion

https://www.fashionologiahistoriana.com/costume-history-legends-essays-in-english/marvelous-beetle-wings-dress-of-lady-macbeth

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 04:48:03 am »

In a late 1970's news report on the Fiorucci's boutique in New York featured a jacked made from dead beetles among the punk-inspired garments featured. I don't recall it being as ornate or beautiful as this dress.
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:52:44 pm »

It's very beautiful, but I don't know how you would wash it. Very carefully, I suppose. I have seen shell used in a similar way, but not nearly as colourful as the jewel beetle. And it is the shell of the beetle, not the wings, that has been used. The wings are folded up under the shell and are the usual brown/papery type things.
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 03:54:29 am »

You know, those look an awful lot like artificial nails! I wonder if those could be used that way.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 04:42:52 am »

^A little sanding for different shapes and each can also be custom colored, nice.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 04:43:57 am »

It's very beautiful, but I don't know how you would wash it. Very carefully, I suppose. I have seen shell used in a similar way, but not nearly as colourful as the jewel beetle. And it is the shell of the beetle, not the wings, that has been used. The wings are folded up under the shell and are the usual brown/papery type things.

I don't think that it was ever intended to be washed. That thin gauze looks like it was only meant to be worn a few times.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 03:34:59 pm »

I presume (although an entomologist may put me right on this) that the iridescence of the wing cases are from the same origin as that in a butterfly's wings, in that they are not actually pigmented but have a set of closely spaced ridges (actually nanoscale) causing interference of light (like that which occurs in a layer of oil on water). I'd imagine at some point this will be reproduced artificially in a more robust (and convenient to obtain) form.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 04:54:43 pm »

I presume (although an entomologist may put me right on this) that the iridescence of the wing cases are from the same origin as that in a butterfly's wings, in that they are not actually pigmented but have a set of closely spaced ridges (actually nanoscale) causing interference of light (like that which occurs in a layer of oil on water). I'd imagine at some point this will be reproduced artificially in a more robust (and convenient to obtain) form.

Yours,
Miranda.

It can probably be done now. The marvel is how it was done back then,as sequins for all practical purposes. Even in modern times though sequined garments are a nightmare to process even in dry cleaning.

Nexxo
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 11:34:59 am »

Seriously, who wouldn't want a garment made of beetle shells? Très Neil Gaimanesque.

Nowadays they could probably be made by laser-etching some kind of plastic resin.
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 07:31:09 pm »

You know, those look an awful lot like artificial nails! I wonder if those could be used that way.

seems good way to do with modern materials. My suggestion was going to be painted pistachio shells
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 12:01:19 pm »

I don't think that it was ever intended to be washed. That thin gauze looks like it was only meant to be worn a few times.

Of course, the original Victorian owner would have been wearing a lot of layers beneath it so it wouldn't have got 'dirty' from skin contact and as it is obviously a very high-end expensive number I don't suppose that the lady wearing it would have done much more than just sit - looking highly decorative of course, while handsome young men vied for her attention and servants did the actual work.
Ah, if only .....

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 09:02:29 pm »

An article about the phenomena:
https://www.livescience.com/7812-jeweled-beetles-shine.html
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 03:38:37 am »

An article about the phenomena:
https://www.livescience.com/7812-jeweled-beetles-shine.html
Cool - jewelled beetle shells are liquid crystal displays!

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 01:45:37 am »

You can buy the beetle wing cases via Ebay these days.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: