The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2019, 05:07:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Departed Cultural Icons - 2018  (Read 11175 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2018, 01:53:09 am »

Not a cultural icon either, and not even human!

But Koko the 46 year old female Gorilla who mastered American Sign Language has died.

The gorilla's behaviour and abilities were documented by animal psychologist Francine Patterson. Koko mastered sign language and used it to convey thoughts and feelings, opening a window to animal intelligence at the level of Great Apes, the same branch to which we belong. Koko also apparently understood some spoken English, and she adopted cats as pets and gave names to each one.

While controversial, by some estimates Koko's IQ was very high for a gorilla at 75, and some people claim it could have been as high as 95, which would already place Koko above the IQ of many human beings in the lower IQ range, as most humans between 85 and 115.

Koko was a fascinating woman
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2018, 12:17:04 pm »

While controversial, by some estimates Koko's IQ was very high for a gorilla at 75, and some people claim it could have been as high as 95, which would already place Koko above the IQ of many human beings in the lower IQ range, as most humans between 85 and 115.

She was certainly smarter than some people I know and some people I've had to deal with in the past 20 years of my life.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2018, 11:28:01 pm »

Harlan Ellison. You will be missed.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/29/624641722/goodbye-to-harlan-ellison-americas-weird-uncle

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2018, 02:42:32 am »

Liz Jackson - 28 Jun 2018,  Australian journalist, human rights activist and barrister noted for her work on the Four Corners and Media Watch television programs. She received nine Walkley Awards for excellence in journalism.

"When news spread that ABC reporter Liz Jackson had died in Greece this week, her friends and colleagues were stunned.
They had all watched with sadness the progress of a mysterious variant of Parkinson's disease.
However, many who knew her as a born journalist and storyteller half expected one more reporter's gift from the edge of mortality.

Friends and family recall a gathering at her house on the night her last Four Corners documentary went to air. "A Sense of Self" was the award-winning account of Jackson's confrontation with accelerating debility.
Reported by Jackson and produced by her husband, Martin Butler, the film was a clear-eyed, informative and moving account of her illness, told on behalf of herself but also the countless others who confront degenerative ailments.
Jackson did 19 live radio interviews on the day of broadcast, professional and lucid even under duress. After the broadcast was over she asked friends if they thought there was a sequel in it — one more piece of reporting.

That ambition was no surprise. Jackson was a reporter in a sense which has become unfashionable.
She was many things as a journalist — a talented documentary filmmaker, an incisive investigator — but Jackson was at her professional best when she was on the trail of a story, at the scene of events, seeking understanding and meaning.
Reporting for her was just that — being where things happened, talking to people, taking what she had learnt back to her audience. Telling others about the personal frontier of disease was more of the same.
One of the most important reporters of her generation.
Jackson's career found its expression at Four Corners where she worked for two decades.
She was one of a select group of reporters who have made that program their metier, conquered and extended its form. There she became one of the most important Australian reporters of her generation..."
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 02:48:43 am by Banfili » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2018, 07:03:49 pm »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44674652

Peter Firmin, the co-creator of Clangers, Bagpuss and Basil Brush, has died at the age of 89, it has been confirmed.

Mr Firmin also helped create other classic children's shows such as Ivor the Engine and Noggin the Nog.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2018, 12:01:38 am »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44674652

Peter Firmin, the co-creator of Clangers, Bagpuss and Basil Brush, has died at the age of 89, it has been confirmed.

Mr Firmin also helped create other classic children's shows such as Ivor the Engine and Noggin the Nog.

Really sad to hear of his passing - I loved those programmes as a child.

Yours,
Miranda.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2018, 02:45:52 am »

My dad and I used to watch Basil Brush together, on an old B&W telly, more years ago than I care to remember! 'Clangers' are relatively new to Australian television, but the ABC has them on occasionally - they are really, really different, and just a bit steampunk!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2018, 02:20:47 pm »

Basil  was very naughty
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2018, 06:28:55 pm »

My dad and I used to watch Basil Brush together, on an old B&W telly, more years ago than I care to remember! 'Clangers' are relatively new to Australian television, but the ABC has them on occasionally - they are really, really different, and just a bit steampunk!

Definitely - especially Major Clanger's rocket.

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2018, 10:26:53 pm »

Definitely - especially Major Clanger's rocket.

Yours,
Miranda.

And their language, which was actually written as a script before being recorded as whistles - particularly the episode where the Major can't get the door shut and says "sod it, the bloody thing's stuck again"; no really, just listen to it ….

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2018, 09:29:10 am »

Harry M Miller, theatrical agent & entrepreneur, 5th July.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2018, 05:39:31 pm »

Here's a major one:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/steve-ditko-dead-spider-man-creator-was-90-1125489

Steve Ditko, creator of Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, and numerous other classic characters in comics. The photo on the article is one of very few known photos of the artist.

He was reclusive in his later life, and best known for having created an alienated teenaged character, which makes him somehow similar to J.D. Salinger. I don't know that he was greater than Salinger, but I believe that his creation is better known and more beloved.

It's a shame that the Hollywood Reporter chose that comic cover to illustrate his obituary; the inside pages of that comic were all drawn by Ditko, but the cover was by his colleague, Jack Kirby.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2018, 09:45:46 am »

Eduard Nikolayevich Uspensky  22 December 1937 — 14 August 2018

Soviet children's writer. 

He wrote books for children, scripts for children's programs and cartoons, children's poems.

But he is known for his cartoons about his characters Cheburashka and Crocodile Gena and the Three of Prostokvashino.

The books themselves, in my opinion, are good children's books, funny, entertaining. But only just .. But the cartoons with his characters have become iconic.

Still remembered for his fierce struggle for copyright. A man of contradictions.

In General it is of course a pity.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2018, 03:57:24 am »

A couple of days late, but ...
Sir Vidiadhar Surajprasad Naipaul TC; 17 August 1932 – 11 August 2018), known as Vidia Naipaul or V. S. Naipaul, was a Trinidadian-British writer who won the 2001 Nobel Prize for Literature. He was born in Trinidad in a family with Indo-Nepalese roots, resided in England as an adult, and travelled across, and wrote about, India, Africa, the Islamic world, and South and North America in his novels and non-fiction works. He is known for his comic early novels set in Trinidad and Tobago, his bleaker later novels of the wider world, and his autobiographical chronicles of life and travels. He published more than thirty books, both of fiction and nonfiction, over some fifty years.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2018, 03:48:29 pm »

Aretha Louise Franklin (March 25, 1942 – August 16, 2018)
American singer and songwriter.
Legend.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2018, 10:49:12 pm »

Aretha Louise Franklin (March 25, 1942 – August 16, 2018)
American singer and songwriter.
Legend.

Ahh, no! One of my all time favourites, and one of the best ever in the whole, wide, world. Driven off in her Pink Cadillac, no doubt. Cry
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2018, 10:07:56 am »

Agreed.
Although as both a music-fan and pedant it grieved me both ways to hear some vox-popper on the radio pay his R-E-S-P-C-T to the departed Queen of Soul.
Surely she has taught a generation to at least spell the word, if not live it.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2018, 12:06:08 am »

Surely she has taught a generation to at least spell the word, if not live it.

Some listen, but they do not hear!
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2018, 06:34:48 pm »

A relentless fighter for a better world and (along with the UN) a co-recipient of the 2001 Nobel Peace Prize, Kofi Annan, has left us at 80.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2018, 12:41:55 am »

Another sadness for the world.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2018, 10:30:02 am »

Iosif (Joseph) Davydovich Kobzon was a Soviet and Russian singer, known for his crooner style, Russian political and public figure, music teacher.

In 1956 he graduated from Dnepropetrovsk mining College.   And I decided to become a real singer only after serving in the Army.

A wonderful singer of the Soviet era. And the symbol of that stage. In many ways, the official, but the real talent.

They say when he wore concert pants, he didn't sit in them. They'll be wrinkled, and crumpled trousers are disrespectful to the audience.

They say he didn't use phonograms and always sang live.

He's compared to Frank Sinatra. Including for connection to a crime.

When, in 2002, a gang of Chechen Nazi terrorists seized the theater center on Dubrovka, Kobzon personally went to negotiations with them and brought several people.

A monumental figure.

Иосиф Кобзон Куба - любовь моя

Иосиф Кобзон "Снег" (1964)

Иосиф Кобзон - День победы

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2018, 10:59:36 am »

Jacqueline Pearce.
Known to many as 'Servalan'.  Cry
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2018, 11:44:05 pm »

A convincing villain - another reason to watch "Blake's 7", and under-rated actress.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2018, 03:58:21 pm »

She was in a couple of Hammer Horrors too.

chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2018, 03:35:00 pm »

Burt Reynolds.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: