The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 22, 2019, 12:49:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Departed Cultural Icons - 2018  (Read 10351 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 02:00:05 pm »

Ken Dodd.
British comedian and cultural icon for over 60 years died yesterday at the age of 90.
There were false rumours of his death only a month ago to which he'd replied that he was very much alive and planning his next tour.
Unfortunately, after a short illness he has succumbed.

''What a wonderful day for ramming a cucumber through the vicar's letterbox and shouting "the Martians have landed!"

R.I.P. Ken.

Renowned for the length of his shows, which usually lasted between 5 and 7 hours.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 05:37:20 am »

Professor Stephen Hawking aged 76. R.I.P.

The world just lost a big chunk of it's I.Q, we are all collectively stupider...

Cry

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 05:45:20 am »

Stephen William Hawking CH CBE FRS FRSA
English theoretical physicist, cosmologist, author and Director of Research at the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology within the University of Cambridge.
Born: 8 January 1942, Oxford, United Kingdom
Died: 14 March 2018, Cambridge, United Kingdom

Journeying from Oxford to Cambridge, and considering that in 1963 he was given 2 years to live - what a lifetime achievement.

What Siliconous said.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:47:52 am by Banfili » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 11:51:27 am »

Studio Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata dies at 82

Japanese anime director Isao Takahata, co-founder of the famed Studio Ghibli, has died at the age of 82.

Mr Takahata was nominated for an Oscar in 2015 for The Tale of the Princess Kaguya but is best known for his film Grave of the Fireflies.

He founded Studio Ghibli with iconic director Hayao Miyazaki in 1985.

It became a world-renowned animation studio, producing blockbusters such as Castle in the Sky, and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

Mr Takahata started his career in animation in 1959 at Japan's Toei studio, where he met Mr Miyazaki, who is usually seen as the face of Studio Ghibli.
(c) BBC '18

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 07:33:18 am »

R. Lee Ermey, 24/03/1944-16/04/2018.
The only actor known to have been allowed to improvise by Stanley Kubrick.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 07:53:09 am »

R. Lee Ermey, 24/03/1944-16/04/2018.
The only actor known to have been allowed to improvise by Stanley Kubrick.

No! Not Sgt. Gunny! You maggots!
Actor R Lee Ermey, known for his role as foul-mouthed Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Vietnam War film Full Metal Jacket, has died aged 74.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:13:43 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

brando
Swab

Germany Germany

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 09:01:40 am »

So sad. He was a great actor!

Those innovative sizzling hot online free games are what I think is grand. I'm also able to play there this year. All the fun is here.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 04:20:54 am »

I don't know if Rick Dickinson, the designer of Sinclair computers is a "D(eparted) C(ultural) I(con)"?

Sinclair Spectrum designer Rick Dickinson dies in US.

Rick Dickinson, the designer of Sinclair computers, has died in the US while receiving treatment for cancer.

The British designer, thought to be in his 60s, worked in-house for Sinclair Research and oversaw the creation of its home computers in the 1980s.

He was responsible for the boxy look of the ZX80 and ZX81 and the Bauhaus-inspired appearance of the Spectrum.

Mr Dickinson also helped to develop the technologies for the UK company's touch-sensitive and rubber keyboards.

He was recently linked to a crowd-funded project by Retro Computers to turn the Spectrum into a handheld computer. Some of the early reference designs for the machine were drawn up by him.

(c) BBC '18
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2018, 06:12:32 am »

Burning Man festival founder Larry Harvey has died aged 70 in San Francisco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Man
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2018, 05:14:06 pm »

Anthony Bourdain died, reported cause of death was suicide. Sad

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2018, 09:58:40 pm »

Anthony Bourdain died, reported cause of death was suicide. Sad

RIP Anthony Bourdain (1956-2018). Too young to die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Bourdain

Apparently he hung himself and was found by his friend and fellow Chef, Éric Ripert. How sad. They were both in Strasbourg, France filming an episode for CNN's "Parts Unknown." Was this a decision "on the spur of the moment"?

We've had a number of suicides in the last two days (eg the Argentinian Ines Zorreguieta, sister of Queen Maxima of Netherlands). I'm starting to wonder if these are "copycat" suicides.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:05:52 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2018, 10:52:11 pm »

I had a similar thought re:  " copy cat" or  contagious  suicides. Did these folk move in the same circles or face similar stressors?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2018, 11:28:04 pm »

I had a similar thought re:  " copy cat" or  contagious  suicides. Did these folk move in the same circles or face similar stressors?

The third one was Kate Spade. Famous American fashion designer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Spade

Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain were both middle aged people from New York and both were celebrities - but other than that I don't see the connection. Kate Spade did not have famous parents. Anthony Bourdain did not either, but his parents were well-to-do financially. Ines Zorreguieta was an Argentinean socialite. All three were thrown into the limelight and all three were sucessful in some way. Perhaps Zorreguieta was overshadowed by her royal sister.

But I don't get it. What is the point? Either you kill yourself because your life was a failure, or because your life was a success and you can't get any better?  Huh

I'm near 50 and I'm still trying to get a life. I went through my suicidal phase in my 30s. For some reason I don't feel the need to end my life. Maybe the need to do some crazy $%^&, but not end my life. Now I want to wrestle my life back from whichever demons took it away. If anything, I want revenge now.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:38:42 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2018, 01:13:12 am »

Mr J. Wilhelm. That's s healthy attitude and we're  g lad your still hear posting.

Some off my nearest and dearest have aspergers  type issues  or as the call it now - on the spectrum.   They have battles with  suicidal thoughts and inclinations.  It can be that they feel really  blah. Other times its that life feels like a  awful roller coaster and they want to get off.  They can feel like they just don't know how to get out of what ever is overwhelming them

With all the recreational and prescription drugs  available  to celebrities alongside the rolling fickle nature of fame  and fortune,  it would be like a tsunami  swamping them at times. The ups and gowns would be extreme
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2018, 03:29:30 am »

Hurricane, I have Aspergers/ASD, and can honestly say despite the trials and tribulations of having ASD undiagnosed until 2-3 years ago (I am now 15 days away from receiving my Aged Pension!) have never had a suicidal thought - or depressive illness that might lead to suicidal thoughts/doing the deed. It seems to me such a waste. I have always thought that there is always tomorrow, and yes, tomorrow may be just as shitty as today, but the day after might be better! With ASD a lot depends on just where you are on the Spectrum for each particular issue - it can get complicated! I still think Aspergers is a better diagnostic descriptive for high-functioning ASD (which I have) than for the low-functioning, sometimes violent, sometimes sweet and gentle places on the Spectrum my cousin's teenaged boy occupies.

Anthony Bourdain did have drug/addiction issues, supposedly rehabbed, but ...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:34:00 am by Banfili » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2018, 05:49:05 am »

Thanks for sharing Banfili.  I suspect there a few Steampunks and  celebrities on the spectrum.  It's truly a gift and sometimes I get jealous.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2018, 11:41:50 am »

Phil Emmanuel, 65, Australian guitarist, asthma attack. May 24
Cornelia Frances, 77, English-born Australian actress (The Young Doctors, Home and Away, The Lost Islands), bladder cancer. (May 28)
Tony Morphett, 80, Australian screenwriter (Blue Heelers, Water Rats), heart attack. June 2
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2018, 03:29:03 pm »

Three big losses for Australia in such a short space of time!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2018, 11:31:14 pm »

Phil Emmanuel, 65, Australian guitarist, asthma attack. May 24
Cornelia Frances, 77, English-born Australian actress (The Young Doctors, Home and Away, The Lost Islands), bladder cancer. (May 28)
Tony Morphett, 80, Australian screenwriter (Blue Heelers, Water Rats), heart attack. June 2

My late Dad  had a real thing for Sister Scot
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2018, 01:57:17 am »

So did a lot of dads, I think!
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2018, 04:11:55 am »

I had a similar thought re:  " copy cat" or  contagious  suicides. Did these folk move in the same circles or face similar stressors?

The third one was Kate Spade. Famous American fashion designer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Spade

Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain were both middle aged people from New York and both were celebrities - but other than that I don't see the connection. Kate Spade did not have famous parents. Anthony Bourdain did not either, but his parents were well-to-do financially. Ines Zorreguieta was an Argentinean socialite. All three were thrown into the limelight and all three were sucessful in some way. Perhaps Zorreguieta was overshadowed by her royal sister.

But I don't get it. What is the point? Either you kill yourself because your life was a failure, or because your life was a success and you can't get any better?  Huh

I'm near 50 and I'm still trying to get a life. I went through my suicidal phase in my 30s. For some reason I don't feel the need to end my life. Maybe the need to do some crazy $%^&, but not end my life. Now I want to wrestle my life back from whichever demons took it away. If anything, I want revenge now.

That's the thing about mental illness, depression in particular: It doesn't care how good (or not) your life is.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2018, 08:35:50 pm »

Mr J. Wilhelm. That's s healthy attitude and we're  g lad your still hear posting.

Some off my nearest and dearest have aspergers  type issues  or as the call it now - on the spectrum.   They have battles with  suicidal thoughts and inclinations.  It can be that they feel really  blah. Other times its that life feels like a  awful roller coaster and they want to get off.  They can feel like they just don't know how to get out of what ever is overwhelming them

With all the recreational and prescription drugs  available  to celebrities alongside the rolling fickle nature of fame  and fortune,  it would be like a tsunami  swamping them at times. The ups and gowns would be extreme

*snip*

That's the thing about mental illness, depression in particular: It doesn't care how good (or not) your life is.

Well the thing is that for me, I feel that the last 25 years have been wasted. Partly my own fault for not being aggresive enough and taking flight on my own (regardless of what family members expected of me), and partly because of my grandfather's reliance on me. But it's now serious enough for me to question whether I had to go through all of this at all.

I feel cheated, personally and even professionally, and now I can't recover that lost time. I find myself at age 50 in the the same position as if I was 20, but without a pot to piss on. I'm all alone, I'm not young any more, I have serious debt problems and the best part... nobody wants me - for anything - at any level.

In the end, my family used me and left me alone to die at the end. What the hell did I need the family for anyway? And why the hell do I need a career when everyone rejects my employment applications? I feel betrayed.

My desperation and sadness has turned into outright anger. I fear that is the only thing keeping me sane. I could feel sorry for myself, but I don't want to. I want change, and this time around I'm not going to care what I have to do or who I have to move out of the way to do it. I want my life back, and being nice about it will not get me anywhere. I already tried that. I just hope that my body can hold together.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:58:08 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2018, 10:22:19 pm »

June 14, 2018 died Soviet and Russian actor, film Director, screenwriter, producer, political and public figure Govorukhin, Stanislav Sergeevich.

Stanislav Sergeevich Govorukhin made a lot of artistic, artistic, publicistic and publicistic films. Among the most famous of his Director's works in feature film:

"Vertical" (1967),
"The meeting place cannot be changed" (1979),
"The adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn" (1981),
"Ten little Indians" (1987),
"Voroshilovsky shooter" (1999)

His documentaries such as "you can't live like this" (1990), "Russia we lost" (1992), the Great criminal revolution (1994) caused a great public response.

Talented Soviet Director. The era leaves.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2018, 01:57:35 am »

I doubt a real 'cultural icon' (unless you are a golfer!) but Australian golfing champion Peter Thompson passed away yesterday aged 88. One of Australia's 'breakthrough' international sportsmen.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2018, 10:40:41 pm »

Not a cultural icon either, and not even human!

But Koko the 46 year old female Gorilla who mastered American Sign Language has died.

The gorilla's behaviour and abilities were documented by animal psychologist Francine Patterson. Koko mastered sign language and used it to convey thoughts and feelings, opening a window to animal intelligence at the level of Great Apes, the same branch to which we belong. Koko also apparently understood some spoken English, and she adopted cats as pets and gave names to each one.

While controversial, by some estimates Koko's IQ was very high for a gorilla at 75, and some people claim it could have been as high as 95, which would already place Koko above the IQ of many human beings in the lower IQ range, as most humans between 85 and 115.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:42:51 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: