The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 27, 2019, 01:39:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Departed Cultural Icons - 2018  (Read 9407 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: January 07, 2018, 12:23:51 am »

Astronaut and aeronautical engineer John Young passed away at 87 years of age. He is alone in having participated in the Gemini, Apollo and Space Shuttle programmes. He flew in Gemini 3, Apollo 10 (non landing orbit around the moon) and Apollo 16, but he is remembered most for being the commander of the first Space Shuttle mission, STS-1 aboard the Space Shuttle Columbia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-1

First Space Shuttle Launch - STS-1 (1981)

MOD NOTE: Since John Young died on 5 January 2018, I've moved this post into the new thread.  -DPvonC
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:05:46 pm by von Corax » Logged

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 12:49:19 am »

Per Ardua Ad Astra John Young. You have earned that motto.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:51:32 am by Mercury Wells » Logged

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 01:16:12 am »

"Astronaut and aeronautical engineer John Young passed away at 87 years of age. He is alone in having participated in the Gemini, Apollo and Space Shuttle programmes. He flew in Gemini 3, Apollo 10 (non landing orbit around the moon) and Apollo 16, but he is remembered most for being the commander of the first Space Shuttle mission, STS-1 aboard the Space Shuttle Columbia."

"Per Ardua Ad Astra John Young"

Most fitting, Mercury Wells, - and now he knows!

morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 05:26:05 pm »

Another one died from Soviet popular actors of theatre and cinema.

June 15, 1936 — January 10, 2018

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 07:05:10 pm »

Another one died from Soviet popular actors of theatre and cinema.

June 15, 1936 — January 10, 2018

So tell us about him. Who was he? What did he do? What was he in?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 08:02:46 pm »

Never mind
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 08:47:16 pm »

Hard to tell about it.

He was one of the. One of the good actors. He didn't have the stellar roles.

Fame brought him the role of "Lead pan" in the Soviet TV program "Zucchini 13 chairs". It was a variety entertainment Comedy show. Permanent makeup artists played Reprise, it's alternated a music video. 15 years in the broadcast, 133 release, ~145 hours of airtime. (Derzhavin was not in all )

But that transmission ceased to exist before I was of conscious age.

I remember him in duet with pop artist Sirvintos. They acted as a compere at concerts, led TV shows were humorous numbers.

Here is the video where they are very young

They represent the experience of clairvoyance.

- For that I said Hello?
- hand?
- well done! And for what?
- the left?
- no! thinking, think!
- for what is right?
- well done

Shirvindt i Derzhavin. Izbrannoe / Ширвиндт и Державин...on Memocast.com

Still, I remember it on several movies of the 90s. Simple, somewhat silly Comedy. He played there a good, soft, old man. So - and- uncle.

Here's uncle died.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:50:26 pm by morozow » Logged
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 07:10:25 pm »

Hard to tell about it.

He was one of the. One of the good actors. He didn't have the stellar roles.

Fame brought him the role of "Lead pan" in the Soviet TV program "Zucchini 13 chairs". It was a variety entertainment Comedy show. Permanent makeup artists played Reprise, it's alternated a music video. 15 years in the broadcast, 133 release, ~145 hours of airtime. (Derzhavin was not in all )

But that transmission ceased to exist before I was of conscious age.

I remember him in duet with pop artist Sirvintos. They acted as a compere at concerts, led TV shows were humorous numbers.

Here is the video where they are very young

They represent the experience of clairvoyance.

- For that I said Hello?
- hand?
- well done! And for what?
- the left?
- no! thinking, think!
- for what is right?
- well done

Shirvindt i Derzhavin. Izbrannoe / Ширвиндт и Державин...on Memocast.com

Still, I remember it on several movies of the 90s. Simple, somewhat silly Comedy. He played there a good, soft, old man. So - and- uncle.

Here's uncle died.

Was this Mikhail Derzhavin? (You neglected to mention his name in your posts.)
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 07:37:37 pm »

Donnelly Rhodes (December 4, 1937 – January 8, 2018) was a Canadian film and television actor. Canadian audiences knew him from CBC dramas as Sgt Nick Raitt (Sidestreet, 1975-1978), Grant Roberts (Danger Bay, 1985-1990), lawyer R.J. Williams (Street Legal, 1991-1992), and Det. Leo Shannon (Da Vinci's Inquest, 1998-2005). U.S audiences saw him in films ranging from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid to Tron: Legacy and from television series including Laredo, Mission: Impossible, The Starlost, Murder, She Wrote, Golden Girls, Empty Nest, Cheers, The X-Files and Smallville; he also had recurring roles in The Young and the Restless (1974-1975), Soap (1978-1981) and Battlestar Galactica (2004-2009).
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 08:05:21 pm »

Was this Mikhail Derzhavin? (You neglected to mention his name in your posts.)
Oh! here's the thing! I did not understand. Yes, Mikhail Derzhavin.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 12:40:44 pm »

An icon to some.

'Fast' Eddie Clarke, guitarist in the classic line-up of the band ''Motörhead'' has died at the age of 67.

Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister,  Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor and ''Fast'' Eddie Clarke are all now gone to Rock 'n'Roll Valhalla.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 12:42:11 am »

The lead singer of the 1990s band, the Cranberries', Dolores O'Riordan dies at age 46

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42696376
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 12:47:03 pm »

I like The Cranberries music. A great loss, and still so young.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 09:28:07 am »

I know this one is 2017, but the 28th December 2017 is close enough, I feel, to be included.
Rose Marie, actress and singer, 94
(Aug. 15, 1923 — Dec. 28, 2017) Best known for her role as wisecracking, perennially single comedy writer Sally Rogers on the popular 1960s sitcom The Dick Van Dyke Show, Rose Marie brought us many laughs while portraying the character who earned her three Emmy nominations. She had one of the longest careers in showbiz, spanning nine decades. Baby Rose Marie, as she was called back in the 1920s, won her first talent show at just 3 years old. From there she went on to fame in radio, films, TV and Broadway. She delighted audiences for more than a decade as a participant on Hollywood Squares.

Jessica Falkholt was an Australian actress best known for being on Home and Away, died on January 17 aged 29. Her death came three weeks after the devastating Boxing Day crash which killed her family. The Home and Away actress died six days after her life support was withdrawn. The close-knit Falkholt family were thought to be driving home to Sydney along the Princes Highway after a short festive break when their car was involved in the devastating head-on collision. Jessica appeared as Hope Morrison in the Aussie soap Home and Away in 2016.The up and coming actress also starred in the upcoming supernatural thriller Harmony, set to be released in 2018.
She was killed in a horror smash on Boxing day which claimed the lives of her parents and her sister.

Liverpool legend Tommy Lawrence, aged 77, died on January 10 2018.
The Scotsman was Bill Shankley's first choice goalkeeper in the 1960s and made 390 appearances for the club over 14 years.

Legendary BBC radio presenter Ed Doolan died peacefully in his sleep in the early hours of January 16. The star had been battling vascular dementia since 2013.
Ed started his career in radio at BRMB (now Free Radio Birmingham) in 1974 before moving to BBC West Midlands in 1982. He was awarded the MBE for services to broadcasting and charity and was also the recipient of a Sony Gold Award

West Brom and Coventry legend Cyrille Regis died on January 14 aged 59 after suffering a heart attack. The former striker was a pioneer for black footballers in the late 1970s. Regis won five caps for England and was awarded an MBE in 2008.

Hugh Wilson died on January 14 at the age of 74. The director was well known for making films such as Police Academy and The First Wives Club.
He also created the acclaimed sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati and won awards for his work, including an Emmy in 1988 for Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series.

Blunderwoman comedy star Bella Emberg died on January 12 at the age of 80.
She found fame in the 1980s, most notably alongside Russ Abbot, with whom she shared a comedy partnership.
Emberg also starred in TV shows as diverse as The Lily Savage Show and Doctor Who.

Doreen Tracey, one of the original Disney Mouseketeers, died on January 10 at the age of 74.The performer had battled cancer for two years, but sadly developed pneumonia as a complication. At the age of 12, Doreen became one of the child stars of The Mickey Mouse Club, the popular TV show which aired between 1955 and 1959.

Comedian Jerry Van Dyke died on January 5 at the age of 86. Jerry made his television debut on The Dick Van Dyke show, later appearing on The Judy Garland Show and Coach, with his final TV role being for The Middle in 2015. He is survived by his wife Shirley, three children, and older brother Dick Van Dyke.

Star Trek actor Jon Paul Steuer died on January 1 aged 33. With an acting career that began at the age of 3, Steur eventually landed the role of Alexander Rozhenko, son of Lieutenant Worf, on Star Trek: The Next Generation in 1990. Later on, he starred in TV series Grace Under Fire as Quentin Kelly Steur went on to become a musician and restaurateur under the name Jonny P Jewels.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:35:56 am by Banfili » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 04:13:45 pm »

Department S Actor Peter Wyngarde dies aged 90

The actor Peter Wyngarde has died aged 90, his agent has confirmed.

Wyngarde played dandy detective Jason King in the 1970s TV show of the same name - which was a partial inspiration for the Austin Powers films.

He had numerous stage roles, as well as playing the gold-masked Klytus in Flash Gordon and Timanov in Doctor Who.

His agent and manger, Thomas Bowington, described him as "one of the most unique, original and creative actors" he had seen.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:16:54 pm by Mercury Wells » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 01:18:39 pm »

Ursula K Le Guin, creator of Earthsea and so much more.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 04:12:08 pm »

Yeah. It's a cultural icon on a global scale. It's very sad.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 01:48:40 pm »

Ingvar Kamprad (30 March 1926 – 27 January 2018), founder of IKEA.

Do you suppose his casket required assembly? (Okay, that was completely tasteless...)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 02:48:13 pm »

Tasteless, maybe - appropriate, yes!
Everybody's coffin requires assembly at some point! He would probably appreciate the joke!
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 09:34:27 pm »

Trevor Baylis: Wind-up radio inventor dies aged 80

The inventor of the wind-up radio, Trevor Baylis, has died aged 80, the manager of his company has confirmed.

David Bunting said Mr Baylis from Twickenham, south-west London, died on Monday of natural causes after a long illness.

Mr Baylis invented the Baygen clockwork radio in 1991.

He was appointed CBE in 2015 after campaigning to make theft of intellectual property a white-collar crime.

(c) BBC MMXVIII
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 04:11:35 am »

Billy Graham (November 7, 1918 – February 21, 2018), American Christian Evangelist, televangelist and Southern Baptist minister.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2018, 07:27:29 am »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Bannister
His race is now run.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 08:01:01 pm »

Oleg Pavlovich Tabakov (Russian: Олег Павлович Табаков; 17 August 1935 – 12 March 2018) was a Soviet and Russian actor and the artistic director of the Moscow Art Theatre.

Began acting in the mid-50s depicting chubby cheeks Teens entering into the life. Played Nazi bosses Schellenberg. Plump and smiling Koshchey immortal (contrary to all the canons).

And his voice said many Soviet cartoons. The most famous - cat Matroskin.

Sadly. Very sad. The departure of Soviet actors.

We in Cyrillic LJ, has already started a small mess. According to some, once supported Putin, then unworthy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 08:28:22 pm »

French fashion icon Hubert de Givenchy died today at age 91

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43375454

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 01:55:44 pm »

Ken Dodd.
British comedian and cultural icon for over 60 years died yesterday at the age of 90.
There were false rumours of his death only a month ago to which he'd replied that he was very much alive and planning his next tour.
Unfortunately, after a short illness he has succumbed.

''What a wonderful day for ramming a cucumber through the vicar's letterbox and shouting "the Martians have landed!"

R.I.P. Ken.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: