The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 19, 2018, 10:22:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Makers Journey videos  (Read 1100 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: January 05, 2018, 10:00:40 am »

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmymg0DSKWjX3XetpEj_29YBFr5R3SqUU This is the playlist for my videos for my trip.

Does the video look okay to you? would you enjoy the content better at a higher resolution?

I'm using new editing software that I'm learning as I go. But along with learning, I'm also experimenting as I go. And I kind of need to know peoples thoughts about it.

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 07:19:02 pm »

They all looked ok as far as resolution but I'm afraid the Open Bench project  sound quality was too bad to listen to easily and the shaky camera work meant I gave up well before the end as it was giving me a headache. Hope your adventure continues well though as it's certainly an interesting project.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 01:56:37 am »

Resolution is fine.   Keep practicing. Everything is learn as you go.  And good luck   with it
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 09:57:34 am »

As the guy says in Part 2, it's the people rather than the space that makes a makerspace.
And as the guy says in Part 1, it's seeing the space, its tools and potential that actually brings members in.
So resolution isn't a problem as long as you can show all the sexy lasers, workshop and electronics tools and record the stories and dreams of the people there. And shaky camerawork while you do a walkaround isn't a problem for me. Of course you could talk to the folks at Open Bench about making a steadicam rig... Wink

One thing that is missing is an overview (as a video or in the description) of the journey - is it your personal journey of becoming a maker in Maine or are you travelling around the state(s) documenting makerspaces?

If it's the latter, I suspect that you will find that most makerspaces are quite similar, as are the members' stories, but if you can winkle out the unusual, amusing or fascinating in each then the series will be entertaining and popular. But just showing folks what makerspaces have to offer is a wonderful project in its own right even if they are all very similar because viewers will want to see their own local one, rather than (work)shop around for the one that suits them best.

Enjoy the journey.

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 04:55:05 am »

Of course you could talk to the folks at Open Bench about making a steadicam rig... Wink

lol, I actually have an idea of seeing if I can turn the ball portion of a roll on deodorant into a kind of gimbal for a made from junk improvised steady cam. It's not likely to be made in the next couple months but It will be tried in this year.

One thing that is missing is an overview (as a video or in the description) of the journey - is it your personal journey of becoming a maker in Maine or are you travelling around the state(s) documenting makerspaces?

If it's the latter, I suspect that you will find that most makerspaces are quite similar, as are the members' stories, but if you can winkle out the unusual, amusing or fascinating in each then the series will be entertaining and popular. But just showing folks what makerspaces have to offer is a wonderful project in its own right even if they are all very similar because viewers will want to see their own local one, rather than (work)shop around for the one that suits them best.

Enjoy the journey.

Context is key I guess. I was hoping to get an end of the week summary video that could help in this regard. Editing time and some crappy blizzard has caused some scheduling glitches though.

In any case, this is a journey to a makerspace in all 50 US states, and likely one in each province and territory of Canada, and possibly Mexico if each mexican state has one. The focus is to talk to makers and see what they are working on and what passions drove them to the maker community and what unexpected things they've discovered or learned by being a part of it. And the big ones I like to ask  are, what/who is a Maker? and if some young people are interested in becoming makers, what skills and ability do you think they will need?

after that it's getting a tour and then discussing what it takes to start, run and grow a makerspace in their area.

I'm trying for 3 personal interviews, 1 tour, and one 'how a makerspace is made', for each space. arranged in an Interview, tour, interview, 'making a space' interview. Giving each space a week of their own. I've 32 spaces lined up on a schedule. I've been to three so far (the editing and posting is the time consuming part, the splitting it up over a week should help with some of that).

I will also have a few detours. One coming up supposedly is a maker organised cardboard sled challenge that is attempting to become a tradition and multi-makerspace competition and gathering.

I'll likely check out some Makerfaires. as well as a few art and craft faires. I'm hoping for pretty much a video a day for two Years that will cover Mexico, US and Canada.

And if I get that all worked out, in 2020, I'm leaving from the Bay area Makerfaire in California and hopping on several planes, visiting Brazil, Japan, India, UAE, Germany, France, the UK, and Back to Toronto in time to get Down to New York City in time for the World Makerfaire.

I'd also like to start a similar project for digital content creators, like web comics, youtubers, digital artists and muscicians ect. But I need to try and only ride one horse at a time, lol.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 05:14:42 am »

They all looked ok as far as resolution but I'm afraid the Open Bench project  sound quality was too bad to listen to easily and the shaky camera work meant I gave up well before the end as it was giving me a headache. Hope your adventure continues well though as it's certainly an interesting project.
Hmm, all three (Soon to be 5 now that I have wi-fi again) are the Portland Maine Open Bench project. The sit down interviews are easier to use a recorder and the camera audio used as a scratch track and removed in favor of the better recorder. The difficulty of using the recorder on a tour is it's directional and the person is often talking in every direction BUT mine. I think I might be able to use a Lav mic on the recorder and have the person wear it as they give the tour.

The video of the of the tour is pretty rough, and I had to edit out several interruptions and rework some parts where somebody was being rather ambitious with an orbital sander on a hollow wooden box in the middle of a workshop with no sound dampening on the concrete and walls. lol. It's fairly choppy. I hope to get better at this. It's also in part to do with the guy showing the place off telling me things 'off the record' while on the record.

I'm aiming for a bit more one take tours. and think the ones I've done since then are better if not perfect. Unfortunately holding my camera while walking around is the only way I can currently do the tours, and while I hope to get better at framing and positioning shots, there will still be some sense of being held while walking to those videos. I did try some shake removal editing tricks and it made some truely abstract surrealism out of the video. lol.

But I will try and work on it, if you know any trick, I'll see if I can give them a try.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 06:42:12 pm »

I'm a little behind, since I had no net access for two days. But the last of Portland Maine should go up today, and the first of Portsmouth NH. The new videos are in 720p HD so it should resolve the black bars on the sides and have slightly better image quality. I have three interviews, a tour and a q&a about running a space. I'm thinking I should start each with the tour, then the interviews, and then the Q&A. I may also do a weekly 'learned to make videos' video where I look at what I tried what isn't quite right and what I'm doing to try and improve as I go. and then once a week a bonus footage, or project video.

If I can manage to get ahead of things in the next few days I should be able to schedule videos for the daily, more than a week ahead so it gives me some lead time and doesn't leave me in a pinch without internet while traveling.

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 07:05:49 pm »

I'm thinking I should start each with the tour, then the interviews, and then the Q&A.
Sounds like a very good idea.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 12:55:21 am »

video is a bit better, slightly annoyed that the guy was using the loudest thing in the whole building for so long in the background, it didn't seem nearly as overpowering in person but mics can be fickle like thatsome times. I did my best to minimise the noise in editing.

Makers Journey: Portsmouth NH
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 03:22:22 am »

got HD video, got noise cancellation mic close to the speaker. This should be the best one yet... frikkin florescent lights look fine to the human eye but act like strobe on a camera. I feel like the gremlins are trolling me at this point.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 07:51:10 pm »

Take a look at the vids on my youtube channel and you'll realize how bad they are, and how EXCELLENT yours are by comparison. Keep it up, you are already lightyears ahead of most of us.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:58:52 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 08:34:18 am »

Take a look at the vids on my youtube channel and you'll realize how bad they are, and how EXCELLENT yours are by comparison. Keep it up, you are already lightyears ahead of most of us.

Your comment helps more than I can explain. Not because I went and compared anybody elses work against mine and found them less than my own, I didn't and I wouldn't. But because it helps with the sense of self doubt to know that there are aspects of what I do that others aspire to.

I often say, and really do mean, that I'm happy with my older rougher around the edges videos because they are a sign of somebody who cared enough about something interesting to them that they just had to share it, and those works are about the passion, not the style with which one talks about them of the special effects used in them. And I have to periodically remind myself that the videos are a means of communication, not the purpose of communication themselves.

But it's so much easier to remember that, and continue to enjoy the process of making things when others express some interest in them as well.

My schedules a bit off while I organise more of the travel portion of things and deal with a shortage of power for the computer and net access to upload what I have edited, but I'm hoping to be able to post a solid week of videos starting on monday, and hopefully get far enough ahead (now that I have an inverter for my car for power so I can edit even when driving in the middle of nowhere.

Plus I've been really happy with how many of the interviews have become better as I've gone. There some genuinely fascinating things I've seen, talked about and learned along the way, and the ones up now barely touch the surface.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 09:18:27 am »

Indeed I concur with Mr. Bailey, the videos are looking good Rovingjack!

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 11:33:32 pm »

I wish I had enough bandwidth available to watch the videos - will have to wait until I can get in to the Uni or library in 'big' town to even contemplate a viewing session!

However, I think what you are doing is both brilliant and brave, rovingjack, and I sincerely hope that you get gain much from your big adventure.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 08:34:23 am »

I'm in Houston tonight. It's foggy and I have forge envy. That and I chatted with a fellow who enjoys a bit of molecular gastronomy. Going back for asecond round tomorrow, before I depart for the way to Santa Fe.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 09:11:16 am »

oh wow, that (last post) feels like forever ago.  I left Houston and visted a Graffiti spot that's called the Hope Outdoor gallery. Drove through the Dessert for waaaay to long and was so tired I had to crash somewhere for the night:

Santa Fe was pretty nice areawise, and I talked with somebody there that fed my creative spark with what felt like pure oxygen, in that sort of moment where I realise I've been seriously under valuing and under appreciating the things I create and do. Like legitimately my thought it was interesting, I could maybe make a couple like that for next to nothing... and then I found out what he's paid for them, and has been paid for them for 15 years. I was speachless, and then he told me that one of his clients told him his prices were way too low. I thought 'I have some really amazing ideas and my own mid has set some arbitray glass ceiling at $100 as being greedy to ask for more.

Then I went to Tucson and saw had some fun talking and touring the maker community there. and am now in california where I went weirdo touristy for a bit (pics or it didn't happen:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:14:38 am by rovingjack » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 01:20:22 pm »

sounds like you're having fun Rovingjack; so glad this journey is turning out well for you.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 07:26:15 am »

Good to see you are doing well, sir, and living up to your name!

Yhs
Prof mvl

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
dillon
Swab

Ecuador Ecuador

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 11:15:01 am »

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.

I have to buy it, I need nothing else right now. I'm a having a lot of fun with fire pit online research. Every man can read about it there. This is pretty awesome, huh?
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 05:52:26 am »

thanks for the support, it helps me get through self doubt moments.

and now for something completely different:

point the first- the statement is in fact true but fails to mention the posted speed limit is 80 miles per hour, most go faster than that.

point the second- it's the same for kansas, but at least texas has towns and beutiful terrain, kansas is dead flat the whole way... and smells like cows most of those 9 hours too.
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 12:51:16 am »

In 'Stralya you can drive drive for nine hours and not see signs of human habitation... Once, just for fun and because none of us had been to Western Australia, we drove to Tanami Well (from a mine near Tennant Creek) and did another 100 km until we figured we were in Western Australia, then went back. Didn't see a thing.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 02:11:55 am »

Kenny Baker, R2-D2 himself, used to come the the states to appear at comic and science fiction shows on weekends, and then would rent a car and drive around the country on the weekdays in between. I think that after having driven in London, he enjoyed driving for a few hours and actually getting somewhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: