The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2019, 03:22:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Werewolf  (Read 963 times)
CrazyLee
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: July 18, 2017, 03:32:06 am »

There's a party game out there called Mafia or Werewolf. It was created back in the 80s by a Russian. The point of the game is there's a circle of people, and one or more of them is a bad guy, and the group has to figure out who the bad guy(s) is/are.

The werewolf version usually uses role cards that are kept hidden. Each player gets one. There's the werewolves, bad people who want to eat the village, and the villagers, who want to find the werewolves and kill them. There are also special roles on each side that do special things. The game progresses with two phases that alternate, day and night. At night, people close their eyes. Werewolves pick someone to eat, and special roles do their thing if they have to. During the day phase, the village debates and picks someone they suspect of being evil to lynch. The town then votes on whether to kill them. A moderator controls the game.

There are various versions of the game in print. Lupis in Tabula, a Italian version. Werewolves of Miller Hollow, Are you a Werewolf. The most famous version, Bezier's Ultimate Werewolf, and also the variants One Night Werewolf and One Night Vampire. There are also similar games to werewolf that borrow the same basic game idea, like Coup, Avalon, and Resistance.

So I'm trying to make a steampunk version of this game. The setting would be an airship (because why not?!), the HMS Lynchmoor. The story is that there's been murders on the airship and it's up to the passengers to catch the evildoers and bring them to justice! Instead of lynching possible bad guys, they will be put in the ship's brig. Currently I am wondering what roles I should include in the game. So below, I will list roles I have used in the past in werewolf and what they do. I'd like suggestions on what they could be called in the steampunk version.

Werewolf role - Steampunk Role - Description.
Moderator - Ship's Captain. Moderates the game, keeps track of things, does not participate directly in the game. Like a GM/DM.
Werewolf - Murderer?  The villains of the game. Each night kill one villager/passenger.
Villager - Passenger. Just a regular passenger on the airship.
Seer - __________ .  The seer is the most essential special role. Each night, they point at a player, and the moderator indicates silently if that person is a werewolf or not.
Bodyguard - __________. Each night this role picks someone to protect from being eaten or killed.

Medium - __________.  Each night the moderator is told silently (thumbs up or down) if the last person lynched (or in this case jailed) was a werewolf.
Mason - Cultist??? First night the masons identify each other. They're villagers. They at least can vouch for each other.
Hunter - __________. If killed or eaten, the hunter can kill someone else as well. They should be trying to take out who they think is a werewolf.

Here's some additional roles that are not essential.
Cupid - __________. Picks two people during first night phase, they get a tap on the shoulder or head. They are now lovers, if one dies in any way, the other one goes too.
Doppleganger - __________. Chooses someone during first night, if that person dies the doppleganger becomes their role.
Drunk - __________. On the third night, is provided a new role by the moderator. Usually the moderator lets him pick out of the deck of role cards.
Minion - __________. Villager who wants the werewolves to win. Looks like villager to seer.
Werehampster - __________. A role from Lupis in Tabula, he wins by himself if he's still alive at the end of the game. If the seer "sees" him at night, he dies.
Witch - __________. Can choose for someone to be resurrected immediately when they die, or can kill them at night, but only once per game.
Owl - __________. The owl is a villager, and in games where two people are nominated to be lynched each round, and then one is finally picked, the owl chooses someone at night, and that person replaces the person with the second most votes to be lynched.
Sorcerer - __________. Ally of Werewolves, anti-seer. Each night points at someone, gets thumbs up if that person is the seer. Appears to be a villager to the seer.
Cursed - __________. If you're eaten by werewolves, you become one of them.
Diseased - __________. If the werewolves eat you, you die, but they can't feed again the next night round.
Spellcaster - __________. Can choose someone during night round to silence during the day.
Tanner -__________. Wants to die. If lynched or eaten, wins the game.

There are many many other roles as well. These are just the ones I've seen used.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:29:58 am by CrazyLee » Logged

The gears on the airship go round and round, round and round, round and round....
CrazyLee
Deck Hand

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:34:29 am »

Okay, so I may have posted too soon. I was able to get in touch with someone who has made a steampunk version of Werewolf. She was willing to share it with two requirements. One, that I give credit to her, and she said I could link to her facebook page. Two, that I don't modify anything in the game that she has already created. Can't modify the cards she has drawn, can't modify the roles. This is because she spent time and effort on them. I can understand she doesn't want people just stealing her hard work and screwing around with it. She did give me permission to add new roles, and I said I'd send them back her way.

I am going to muse about this and figure out how to honor her requests and not step on her toes. Until then, the reason I brought up this game was I was considering playing it at another board. I would also wonder if people would want to play it here as well. I do not know if there is a board specifically for roleplay. If there is, we could start the actual game there once I am ready. If we do play, I ask all participants to check in at least once every two days.

I don't know how to tag people here, but I hope Caledonian notices this, she was the one interested in it.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 02:41:03 pm »

Okay, so I may have posted too soon. I was able to get in touch with someone who has made a steampunk version of Werewolf. She was willing to share it with two requirements. One, that I give credit to her, and she said I could link to her facebook page. Two, that I don't modify anything in the game that she has already created. Can't modify the cards she has drawn, can't modify the roles. This is because she spent time and effort on them. I can understand she doesn't want people just stealing her hard work and screwing around with it. She did give me permission to add new roles, and I said I'd send them back her way.

I am going to muse about this and figure out how to honor her requests and not step on her toes. Until then, the reason I brought up this game was I was considering playing it at another board. I would also wonder if people would want to play it here as well. I do not know if there is a board specifically for roleplay. If there is, we could start the actual game there once I am ready. If we do play, I ask all participants to check in at least once every two days.

I don't know how to tag people here, but I hope Caledonian notices this, she was the one interested in it.

There is a roleplay board called Portrayal, found here.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,15.0.html
There is no way to tag people, but you can send private messages....as you did.

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
CrazyLee
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 11:05:39 pm »

There is a roleplay board called Portrayal, found here.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,15.0.html
There is no way to tag people, but you can send private messages....as you did.

Well, if I decide to run a game, I'd likely start a new thread there. But there doesn't seem to be much interest here yet. If you want, you can think up suggestions for the roles I listed above, except for the ones crossed out, as those are the ones the other person thought up roles for. Particularly the first group of roles are the most important. Then again, if I didn't use her roles we'd have to think up roles for all of the ones above.

I may have stuck this in the wrong forum, instead of Aural-Ocular, considering I see this as a party game, which it is. It may have been better off in Textual, since it involves roleplay in a way.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: