The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 18, 2019, 01:30:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Manchester terrorist attack  (Read 1482 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« on: May 23, 2017, 08:15:02 pm »

My thoughts are of those affected by this latest atrocity. 
Manchester is only thirty miles up the road from us but I'm of a different generation to those who attended the concert so I don't believe that I know anyone involved personally; my prayers are with them all.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 02:33:34 am »

Such a terrible event, and such a tragic waste of life.

The only good thing to have come from all the years of terrorist acts that the UK experienced with the IRA, was that we learned to cope and defy to be afraid. Thus terrorism loses much of it's power over us, and can never win.  In a way this makes the tragic loss of life all the more bitter - because it was all in aid of a futile and pointless act.

Never give up, and never let them win.

My thoughts are with the victims and the families left behind.

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:59:23 am »

It is with extreme sadness that I learned that the target were young people, many of them children. Our condolences to the families affected, and let it be known that across the Atlantic the people of Great Britain and the people of Manchester are in our thoughts and have our support.

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 05:10:55 am »

From one Manchester to another (across the pond, in New England) Thoughts only for the hurt and whatever support I might be able to offer.

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 12:07:38 pm »

Prayer And Thought And Tutti Quanti.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 12:53:28 pm »

"Je suis Manchester"

I have a cousin there, older than myself and unlikely to be at the concert, ... but! I have not had a reply to my email. Will have to email another cousin in Ireland to check.

Have just done so - now, waiting.

Terrorism hardens resolve, not weakens it. It's something terrorists never learn.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:56:36 pm by Banfili » Logged
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 02:11:47 pm »

I grieve for the lost and damaged lives.  I am in awe of the people who did, and are doing, all they can to help in the wake of this horror.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 02:13:32 pm »

Something that I had been wondering about:

One of the first news reports that I read on the incident said that the rail lines in and out of Manchester were blocked but it didn't give any details or explanation. It made it ambiguous as to whether someone had intentionally blocked the lines or it was just a technical problem. Can anyone tell me what this was about?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 10:52:35 pm »

Have just heard all is well with mine.

Heartsore for those for whom nothing will ever be well again.
Prof. Convict Archfiend
Officer
Australia Australia

Gravatar

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 11:50:43 pm »

Such a cowardly act  Sad
The affects are so far reaching. Even all the way down here in Tasmania, a friend on my father lost hes son in this.
Stay strong, the rest of the civilised world is think of you all

Just call me "Greenie"....
(much quicker to type)
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 12:03:56 am »

One of the first news reports that I read on the incident said that the rail lines in and out of Manchester were blocked but it didn't give any details or explanation. It made it ambiguous as to whether someone had intentionally blocked the lines or it was just a technical problem. Can anyone tell me what this was about?

As I understand it the arena is linked to a railway station and the attack happened between the two. As they are linked the police would not want thousands of people walking through a crime scene so the decision was to shut that station. Now if only the American press would stop leaking intelligence information that might be damaging to the case.......

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 12:40:38 am »

Je suis... well, unfortunately, just about the whole bloody world these days.

As a qualified bombmaker*, the intelligence leak in itself isn't surprising or remarkable - and it won't tell the maker of this one anything that he didn't know, or assume that the authorities wouldn't have found and know - e.g. as he used a rather large and distinctive battery type, he would assume that fragments would survive and that forensics will want to look for similar batteries in any suspect's garden shed, so he will have either ditched any spares that aren't already in other bags out there.
However, some of the early reporting seemed to fixated on a suitcase being used - that it was apparently a blue/black Karrimor backpack might keep security guards on the lookout if he has followed a pattern with his other devices. But again, helpful but not a guaranteed sign as the bags may all be different anyway, and we've all been twitchy about all sorts of luggage for years now.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 08:26:49 pm »

As I understand it the arena is linked to a railway station and the attack happened between the two. As they are linked the police would not want thousands of people walking through a crime scene so the decision was to shut that station. Now if only the American press would stop leaking intelligence information that might be damaging to the case.......

No press blackouts in America.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 08:43:36 pm »

Mr. Bowman:

With all due respect, this is not about American politics or "freedom of the press."  Angry it seems you don't have all the facts at hand. You don't want to announce to the bad guys what you're going to do next, and much less the way it was done.

I've sent you a message, Mr. Bowman.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 09:55:53 am »

I'm not hearing from one or two people whom I hold dear in that area. I can thus understand the desire to demand information. But, let's take a few moments to de-stress, shall we?

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 12:17:18 pm »

I am fortunate to have heard via my cousin's sister in Ireland that all was well. It is a stressful time for those who can't contact people they care about.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 01:58:18 pm »

Ok, while everybody checks their friend networks, let's not stress about 'big leaks' or whichever media came up with whatever.

Bombing scene photos and basic on-scene information is routinely spread worldwide for every bombing, from major incidents to just kids blowing up letterboxes with fireworks and co2 cartridges. Every nation, even in the 3rd-world, has a Bomb Data Centre as part of their national police hq and they are all linked together like Interpol. They distribute the information to every other bomb technician, bomb forensic investigator and even arson firemen around the world under a very low level of security - BombTech-in-confidence - so that it isn't locked away like TopSecret and any other tech can easily see what's currently in use or trending in case he gets something similar. So, this isn't a Presidential- or CIA/Aliens-level Wikileaks type leak. Most likely some random deputy sheriff in Hicktown has done a basic 1week course to be his town's local bomb guy, and thus gets the updates, and has shared it around to his friends, who passed it on to... etc etc.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 07:39:20 pm »

Mr. Bowman:

With all due respect, this is not about American politics or "freedom of the press."  Angry it seems you don't have all the facts at hand. You don't want to announce to the bad guys what you're going to do next, and much less the way it was done.

I've sent you a message, Mr. Bowman.

It wasn't about politics; it was a statement of fact; for better or worse, the United States government does not have the ability to order the press to not report things. No press blackouts to protect the identities of juveniles; no press blackouts to hide political scandals from the electorate.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 08:35:10 pm »

[mod hat] Read my message Mr. Bowman. I will not argue any further. This is not the place for such a discussion. [/mod hat]
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 04:08:09 am »

Cool your jets please gentlemen, lets not add any extra drama here. I think you are both reading each other wrong, either that or I'm reading BOTH of you wrong.... Undecided

If I may explain to clear the confusion...

The US government was given the details of the investigation as part of an established information sharing thing regarding security and terrorist related events such as this. This information is obviously highly secretive where an active investigation is taking place that involves a country's police force, secret services and foreign intelligence agencies sharing information on active suspects at large, and is thus not for public consumption at this present time.

Problem is somewhere along the line, the US government has passed these classified details (and crime scene pictures) on to certain media oulets who then reported on this information. That is quite a big boo-boo to drop.... Roll Eyes

It's not a media issue, it's poor handling of classified information by the US government that is the real issue that has people upset.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 04:17:59 am »

Cool your jets please gentlemen, lets not add any extra drama here. I think you are both reading each other wrong, either that or I'm reading BOTH of you wrong.... Undecided

If I may explain to clear the confusion...

The US government was given the details of the investigation as part of an established information sharing thing regarding security and terrorist related events such as this. This information is obviously highly secretive where an active investigation is taking place that involves a country's police force, secret services and foreign intelligence agencies sharing information on active suspects at large, and is thus not for public consumption at this present time.

Problem is somewhere along the line, the US government has passed these classified details (and crime scene pictures) on to certain media oulets who then reported on this information. That is quite a big boo-boo to drop.... Roll Eyes

It's not a media issue, it's poor handling of classified information by the US government that is the real issue that has people upset.

Thank you Mr. Skummins. Mr. Bowman and I are in the process of chatting the matter in private. It was because Mr. Bowman was focusing on the train schedule and I on the physical crime evidence. I found an article on the BBC which explains what happened. It was not the US Government, Mr. Skummins.

I'm afraid, Mr. Fairley B. Strange has hit it on the nose; it was a local government leak (local by two degrees - not Federal, not State, but County law enforcement - namely a local Sheriff blabbering in a Facebook account. The state from which said Sheriff comes from has incensed my mood. You can make a guess which state. Makes me want to drive a few hours south and personally kick his posterior.

PS. Reminds me of a certain entrance scene in the 1965 movie "For a Few Dollars More" with Clint Eastwood. I have the weekend off, anyone interested in re-enacting an Old/Wild West "Posse" is welcome to come down South with me. Do bring a strong rope. There will be a "chuck wagon" with refreshments for the jury and witnesses.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 05:39:41 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 05:55:20 am »

Gents, before anybody applies shoe-leather to sphincter, or starts throwing ropes over tree branches, I might suggest that the actual source of your angst is somewhere in northern England, and I'm quite sure there are more than enough armed lads eagerly seeking to kick his door down at the moment.

What else anybody can do about the global situation is a dilemma for philosophers and madmen.

Stay safe. Watch out for each other. Recheck your first-aid skills. Throw a torch and a few trauma dressings in the bottom of your daily bag. Try to know your neighbours. That's about it, I'm afraid to say.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 07:48:40 am »

I keep an extraordinarily well-equipped first aid kit and bag in the car. Where I go, it goes. Be alert, but go about your normal life. Paris was happening when I went overseas in 2015. Hopefully, next week, nothing.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 12:45:28 am »

And here we go again....

Mods, do we just start a global thread for all these totally unrelated events?
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 02:55:07 am »

I keep an extraordinarily well-equipped first aid kit and bag in the car. Where I go, it goes. Be alert, but go about your normal life. Paris was happening when I went overseas in 2015. Hopefully, next week, nothing.

As a longtime boyscout, I too follow the motto "Be Prepared".
I used to shop surplus stores for "battle dressings" until a first responder put me onto the following:

- ladies tampons and pads. They are essentially sterile. the pads make excellent "large cut" dressings and the tampon are actually useful
for gunshot wounds - honest to goodness, just plug the hole and make sure to tell the ambulance crew.

- quick clot - http://www.quikclot.com/  a fast acting (emergency only) clotting agent. especially useful for neck , abdominal , or limb slashes.
          now available to the public.

These items are clearly for emergnecy only and "stop the victim from bleeding out" until professionals arrive.

Add a 5 D cell 1000 Lumen Mag Light and so many situations are covered.

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: