The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 15, 2019, 11:23:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying/Making really small Gauges  (Read 3927 times)
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« on: May 19, 2017, 09:18:38 am »

I am having trouble making a small gauge for my first Steampunked Nerf gun. (Not much of the Nerf is left.) This is just a prototype so I can get a feel for what works and what doesn't before I make up my 'real' Steampunk gun.
The big problem I am having at the moment is making small gauges. I haven't been able to find something I can convert, so have reverted to making one. Any hints would be gratefully received!
The face of the gauge I can conquer, but I need a 'glass' (plastic?) face and an edge to hold/hide the join where the clear face sits on the body of the gauge.
There is a 1 cm diameter circle where the gauge would sit, so the size is restricted, which limits possibilities. For the fake glass face, I have been considering cutting out a clear take-away food container lid, but this might look a bit tacky, which is not the look I am going for... A watch-face might do the trick, but where would I find one?

Hope I am not going over the same old ground.

Cheers
Rob
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 06:46:51 pm »

For the face, try 'watch glass' on the Bay of E.
Small ones probably come under ladies' watches.

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
selectedgrub
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 07:14:37 pm »

The guy that service our fire extinguishers gave me a hand full of the small ones.

Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 08:00:13 pm »

A few possibilitys

Glass cabochons

Mini Compasses

How about an explosion proof gauge using an RC car headlamp?

All available from Ebay

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 05:39:24 am »

Wow, thanks for that. I feel like a real Newbie for not being able to think of those things myself... but I am having so much fun making Steampunk stuff! I just need it to look real, not like a plastic thing poorly painted. I think I will change the copper paint to copper leaf and see how it looks. I'm a botanical artist/illustrator by trade, so I work through a magnifying glass to get the details of plants. Your eyes sort-of don't register that depth of detail, but if it is not there you notice. Well I notice! (Which I'm sure is the definition of OCD.) That's the kind of detail I want on my Steampunk gun.  Roll Eyes

Cheers
Rob
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 08:05:58 am »

If it's just a prototype, plastic googly eyes come in all sizes. Cut off the plastic cover and there you are.

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
Justin Time
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 08:20:53 am »

You may want to take a look at this page too: http://sparetimelabs.com/animato/animato/3003/3003bd.html

They mention getting them directly from a fire extinguisher service facility fairly cheap.  Also, maybe a scuba place?

JIT

Have you never wondered what it would be like to walk between the ticks and tocks of Time?
Harvey Midnight
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 10:46:38 pm »

I guess it also depends how realistic (read: expensive) you want them to be.

I've seen people use this type of party favor, "pirate compass" to make dials. A little paint and/or rub&buff can make the base look a little more like actual brass, etc.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Party-Baking/Themed-Party-Collections/Pirates/Pirate-Compasses/p/52384

Then just use your printer to print up a dial-face you like.

Edit to add:

Yeah, I think I also saw a youtube video, where a guy used these 'brass closet door pulls' to make dials. I think he just stuck his dial face in the bottom, and then filled the disc with clear-drying epoxy glue -- once it dried it looked like a glass cover.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Sliding-closet-door-pulls-Closet-door-hardware-Door-hardware-Hardware/4294711017
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:54:49 pm by Harvey Midnight » Logged
Steamworkshop
Zeppelin Captain

Accurate reproductions of items that never existed

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 03:27:28 pm »

There are a lot of ways to make the rim you're looking for but it depends on your skillset.
What sort of work are you able to do? Cut and shape metal, solder, grind etc...?
From that we can give you some ideas.
I make a lot of small glass windows with rims of different shapes.

Here's your glass lens
http://www.esslinger.com/watch-crystal-flat-round-mineral-glass-crystal-80-mm-thick/

Gregor
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 04:06:15 am »

Hi!

I got some at a paint-ball gun shop. I needed them to not-accurately work and their faces were smashed. right out of the bargain bin.
I used a watch crystal for the cover glass.

good luck! - gregor

Could somebody Pleeease explain to my mother that it is steam PUNK not steam PIMP!?!
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 07:17:54 am »

Because the place on the gun where the gauges had to fit was such a specific size, I ended up making them from a cardboard tube. The faces were cut from a fast food container lid which is very see-through. The faces were downloaded ones which I then had to shrink really quite small to fit and there was a lot of messing around on Photoshop to not lose image clarity. I painted them a brass colour which I got from mixing silver and antique gold paint. The top edge is my biggest concern, as it is just a little rough looking. Will have to come up with another idea for that bit. The gun does look pretty good though. Not for Cosplay, just for display.

You lot up there seem to have a much greater access to bit and pieces. I rely on chance finds and dedicated searching every day so I don't miss something. Now that I know what to look for I am sure I will find more genuine parts. I don't mind the making of parts provided I can get them to look perfect... I'm a bit picky like that.

I will have to see if we have a local paintball place. I think it is mainly Laser-tag down here now.

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions.

steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 06:30:26 pm »

For very small gauges or clock faces, I use a drop or two of clear nail polish.  It mounds up nicely and dries clear.  1" would be a bit big for that, though. 
captain Inspire
Swab

France France

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 11:34:16 am »

Be indulgent for my English
Here are three links that can help you. Sorry, it's in French.
http://french-steampunk.fr/tutoriel-bouchons-montres-autres-objets-a-cadrans/
http://www.ethiscrea.com/2014/02/comment-faire-un-manometre-steampunk.html
http://phil.bena.free.fr/dessinCadran.html
Small explanation of this dial generator:
To create a new item, click its name.
To remove it, click the less at the end of the line.
Indexes and digits can be deleted separately by double-clicking on them. A double click on the number that selects them in the cartridge restores the full display. Once the dial is dialed, the size of twenty centimeters can be reduced to fit the size of the print. By clicking on « sauvegarde », after a few seconds, a .png file will be generated and printed on a sheet of format a3 (21 x 29,7).
This application is programmed in AS3 and requires activation of the Flash plugin for this to work.
If the French version poses too many problems for its comprehension, I can create one in English.
Examples on this link:
http://www.steampunk-fr.com/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=12392
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 07:07:53 pm »

Thanks for the links, Captain!

These are both useful and nice to read - Google Translate renders them perfectly for those who do not have French as a language.

I personally can use some of the completed dials you have so kindly provided right now! Thanks again!

HP 
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 08:39:31 am »

Merci, Captain, as you can see je sui Francois really well, as I learned it at school 40 years ago...  Roll Eyes The links are great, and the pictures explain very well. I loved the really old industrial looking gauge - fantastic - the only problem I could see is that I don't own un chat. I will have to tie the dog down (to keep it still) so I can put the gauge on its head instead.  Wink

I also loved the completed dials - particularly the seductometre! I am going to have to make a gauge just for that - maybe attach it to my husband?

La carte de vins, merci. (I know French.)

Rob

Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 08:58:02 am »

I just had a lot of fun playing with the dial generator. It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it and a brilliant little bit of programming. A really great resource. Thanks again!

http://phil.bena.free.fr/dessinCadran.html (Make your own gauge faces)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:19:56 am by Synistor 303 » Logged
captain Inspire
Swab

France France

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 11:20:24 am »

It's a pleasure that you like it.
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 08:06:55 am »

Inspired by my dog, who lies under my chair when I am working and occasionally wafts unpleasant odors in my general direction...

Just a quick gauge face made to get the hang of the dial generator kindly linked by Captain Inspire. I will have to try the fancy ones next.

keithjones
Gunner

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 03:01:22 am »

Inspired by my dog, who lies under my chair when I am working and occasionally wafts unpleasant odors in my general direction...

Just a quick gauge face made to get the hang of the dial generator kindly linked by Captain Inspire. I will have to try the fancy ones next.

As a dog owner, I can only say one word - "Brilliant"!
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 03:35:36 am »

Thanks Keithjones - now I have to invent a detector to attach a Whiffometre gauge to... It will need some kind of funnel 'sniffer' receptor...  ...it would be good if they moved around a bit as if seeking out the odour  - probably need 2 of them. And lights - got to have lights... ...something that buzzed a bit to sound more 'scientific'... ...mounted on a nice bit of board or maybe on an old wooden box...  ...with an old fashioned toggle switch... ...or a wind-up mechanism...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:47:04 am by Synistor 303 » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 08:35:44 pm »

My one of my dogs wiffed, she used to jump up and look at her bum!

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 11:43:51 pm »

growing up with basset hounds they would sleep right on the hearth as close to the fire as they could, to the point that their hair oil would boil off and they would literally smoke. a side effect of all that heat was "fermentation"... if the dog got up and walked away before the fire was out, it was time to run before the stench hit you. you know it's bad if it wakes up the dog. there was a few times where we had to pull the dogs away from the fire a bit for fear that they might reach their flash point and burst into flames....and yes, their hair was so hot it hurt to touch them!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 05:13:44 am »

Perhaps you mean "emanation" ?

Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 06:55:45 am »

Yes, Otto, yes I did, and I have corrected the offending word on the new and improved Whiffometre gauge face. In my defence, my brain was deciphering French and mathematics while manipulating a program I had never used before. (And my brain cells have been in contact with red wine on more that a few occasions, so may not be in a pristine state.)

I spent all morning trying to print my gauge-face on paper I had painstakingly colour-washed (with coffee, gouache and acrylic paint) then stretched and flattened. The first go through the printer it worked perfectly... Of course I had put the paper up the wrong way, so it printed perfectly on the back.  Roll Eyes So I turned the paper over and it jammed in the printer. No problem - I had a back-up piece. That jammed too. So I carefully ironed both flat and pressed them in my press for an hour. Both pieces jammed again. GAAAAAAAGGGHHhhhhh!

Back to the drawing board to colour-wash some slightly thinner paper to see how that will cope with the (insert profanity here) printer.

But I do have to guts of my Whiffometre ready to put together. I need to work out how to rotate the detector-piece, but I'm getting there.
captain Inspire
Swab

France France

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 08:58:39 am »

So that the paper does not curl,try this technique.
youtube.com/watch?v=XsCJqJvls6E

Take fine paper and put some tea in the water.
Very important, final format A3.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: