The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 28, 2020, 12:11:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on jacket modification?  (Read 14574 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2020, 09:56:08 am »

Update on uniform.

The old blue jacket used as a fatigue blouse has seen better days. Having been worn out in the space of 3 years, I have purchased a pitch black denim jacket as a replacement. I will no be re-doing the buttons in copper as I did the last time, because it's more trouble than it's worth (the copper will stain upon contact with human skin natural oils - it turns a dark bronze shade very quickly after a few days of wear).  Instead, being a real denim jacket this one has rivet-style buttons, like jeans. I think I'll try to find replacement rivet buttons to replace these ones (or match them even), and apply the same "Double Row" treatment to make the jacket look like a period fatigue blouse with a dense button table.

As to abandoning the navy colour...well, I'm not a re-enactor. This is steampunk. The fabric is nice, being considerably thicker tha the last one. It's a bit of a stretch to use denim - although the transition from the Civil War to the Indian Wars period did see the canvas fatigue blouse replace the wool coat worn in the Civil War (lots of details on that in the previous pages on this thread). Canvas is very similar to denim, except for the number of threads in the weave (number of threads in warp and weft).

Sorry for the grainy picture. The twitter image server would not cooperate with my Twitter app
 on my old phone so I had to pair it down quite a bit. This phone is on its way out anyway (RAM too low).

I'll update the picture tomorrow using my new phone.

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2020, 12:12:17 pm »

Looking very neat, and military - well done!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2020, 07:23:34 pm »

Looking very neat, and military - well done!

Thank you! It's an odd animal of a uniform. Made up with some pieces I can wear as everyday wear. Truth is that the American Civil War uniforms were very simple, inspired by French, Italian and Austrian uniforms of that specific decade.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2020, 01:46:50 am »

Looks a bit like the (apocryphal, yet still blendable) shell jacket, albeit in blue rather than confederate gray,  worn by Patrick Wayne in the movie Rio Lobo (John Wayne Jingoistic wetsern movie). The collar's different, but not much else, so far as I remember.

Nice look!

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2020, 05:54:29 am »

Looks a bit like the (apocryphal, yet still blendable) shell jacket, albeit in blue rather than confederate gray,  worn by Patrick Wayne in the movie Rio Lobo (John Wayne Jingoistic wetsern movie). The collar's different, but not much else, so far as I remember.

Nice look!

Thank you! Yeah it just fits the bill. It's difficult to get clothing off the rack that works, but sometimes it does. The other blue jacket was really worn out (poor quality stretch fabric). This is real denim. I saw it last month for $20 and snatched it. It's daily wear for me too (without the insignia so people won't think I'm making any kind of statement).
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: