Author Topic: Perfect Steampunk Car + Fabulous Land Vehicles  (Read 61342 times)

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
Re: Perfect Steampunk Car + Fabulous Land Vehicles
« Reply #200 on: November 10, 2021, 04:27:38 am »

Neon armadillo or new Mercedes

My first thought was, "Armadillos carry leprosy."
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 04:29:34 am by von Corax »
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

Hurricane Annie

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #201 on: November 10, 2021, 07:08:10 am »

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #202 on: November 15, 2021, 12:50:43 pm »
Cough. I think I might have to talk to my contact in Daimler Benz...
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Ascent

• Swab
« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2022, 05:30:31 pm »

The 1921 Megola. That's a five cylinder rotary engine in the front wheel. That's the old fasioned rotary, rather thean the modern Wankel type rotary, where the crankshaft is fixed and the cylinder spins.
There's one way to find out if a man is honest - ask him. If he says, 'Yes,' you know he is a crook. - Marx.

RJBowman

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2022, 05:52:50 pm »

The 1921 Megola. That's a five cylinder rotary engine in the front wheel. That's the old fasioned rotary, rather thean the modern Wankel type rotary, where the crankshaft is fixed and the cylinder spins.

Does that mean that the wheel spins constantly when the engine is running, or is there a clutch that burns up when you want to go forward?

Ascent

• Swab
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2022, 07:51:46 pm »

[/quote]

Does that mean that the wheel spins constantly when the engine is running, or is there a clutch that burns up when you want to go forward?
[/quote]

As far as I understand it there is no clutch, when the engine is turning the wheel is turning. Aparantley you had to start it with the front wheel on a stand.

Captain

• Zeppelin Captain
  • The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.
    • Imperial Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2022, 03:37:27 am »
I have been watching Green Shed Conversions progress on a Model-T:

They seem to offer pretty reasonably priced electric conversions. 
-Karl

Wires

• Swab
« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2022, 02:12:03 pm »
Registered on the site years ago when I started a motorcycle project, think my account got lost in a domain move?  Anyhow, here's the result of the project in use.  Is more post-apoc than steam, but heavy elements of both.  The front end is dual arms with a linkage steered fork, like the BMW k1600 or newer Goldwings.

The armor is made from 1" wide bandsaw blades from a steel mill, had to anneal them, use a pnuematic punch for the >4000 holes (and a hydraulic punch for the >1000 larger holes), then sanded, re-hardened and oil quenched.  Actually fits in pretty well at steam punk events, again with a heavy PA kick (as some steampunk stories have).

RJBowman

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2022, 10:17:51 pm »
Registered on the site years ago when I started a motorcycle project, think my account got lost in a domain move?  Anyhow, here's the result of the project in use.  Is more post-apoc than steam, but heavy elements of both.  The front end is dual arms with a linkage steered fork, like the BMW k1600 or newer Goldwings.

The armor is made from 1" wide bandsaw blades from a steel mill, had to anneal them, use a pnuematic punch for the >4000 holes (and a hydraulic punch for the >1000 larger holes), then sanded, re-hardened and oil quenched.  Actually fits in pretty well at steam punk events, again with a heavy PA kick (as some steampunk stories have).

It has a bit of what vintage car enthusiasts call "rat".

But I will cite the post-apocalyptic sequence in the H.G. Wells film "Things to Come" as proof that the modern post-apocalyptic film genre is related to steampunk.