The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 24, 2020, 06:44:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Design Your Own Tartan  (Read 2848 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon Machinery (they/them)

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2020, 01:00:16 am »

Okay so after moving to Scotland and having a relationship a tartan obsessed scot for almost a year...

The scots don't gender the kilts as strictly as outsiders tend to think. There is some basic differences in cut when someone gets a kilt tailored, which seems to be mostly to allow for the hips. The general garment is the same however.
The school uniform of the school my partner went to actually included kilts. For both guys and girls.

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2020, 05:27:29 am »

Okay so after moving to Scotland and having a relationship a tartan obsessed scot for almost a year...

The scots don't gender the kilts as strictly as outsiders tend to think. There is some basic differences in cut when someone gets a kilt tailored, which seems to be mostly to allow for the hips. The general garment is the same however.
The school uniform of the school my partner went to actually included kilts. For both guys and girls.

Yes, that's right, and I think 2 years ago I learned a bit about the difference between a full kilt, a kilted skirt and a Billie kilt when I stumbled upon the "dance competition tartans" for the Erskine clan, who are supposed to be related (somehow) to my father's family. I found it odd at first, but according to the Scottish tartan registry you can design and register anything as long as you don't infringe on another design.

I got a full kilt, but not in wool; it's acrylic wool and with that commercial tartan. The only real wool item I have is an old Erskine scarf which I bought when I was in Edinburgh almost 40 years ago. That may soon change though...  Roll Eyes There might be a Billie kilt in my hands *very* soon  Roll Eyes (but let's just leave that subject for the Queer Geer)  Grin

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 05:59:13 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2020, 10:10:28 am »

Yes, that's right, and I think 2 years ago I learned a bit about the difference between a full kilt, a kilted skirt and a Billie kilt when I stumbled upon the "dance competition tartans" for the Erskine clan, who are supposed to be related (somehow) to my father's family. I found it odd at first, but according to the Scottish tartan registry you can design and register anything as long as you don't infringe on another design.

I got a full kilt, but not in wool; it's acrylic wool and with that commercial tartan. The only real wool item I have is an old Erskine scarf which I bought when I was in Edinburgh almost 40 years ago. That may soon change though...  Roll Eyes There might be a Billie kilt in my hands *very* soon  Roll Eyes (but let's just leave that subject for the Queer Geer)  Grin

Oooo, gotta love a good wool kilt
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2020, 05:19:00 am »

Personally, these modern skirts are nothing. A kilt should be long enough to sleep in. My great kilt is 7 metres long. No stitching involved - I fold the creases manually.

It is "interesting" to wear when driving. Think of it being like having a bustle behind you.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2020, 12:06:14 am »

Personally, these modern skirts are nothing. A kilt should be long enough to sleep in. My great kilt is 7 metres long. No stitching involved - I fold the creases manually.

It is "interesting" to wear when driving. Think of it being like having a bustle behind you.

Sorontar

Folding and creasing it must be an art.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 06:03:36 am »

Takes a while. I don't actually use a hot iron; I just make sure the belt is underneath, fold, then lie down on top, buckle the belt then stand up.

This is a pretty good demonstration - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEmES4-7kvc
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2020, 06:28:45 am »

Takes a while. I don't actually use a hot iron; I just make sure the belt is underneath, fold, then lie down on top, buckle the belt then stand up.

This is a pretty good demonstration - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEmES4-7kvc

I see! It's very interesting. And above the belt it's like a "Swiss Army knife" of clothes  Wink. Now for the Steampunk version...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2020, 01:06:16 pm »

If I were to have one, it would be primarily green, with touches of red and white, which are the colours on my coat of arms - both the original grant, and the de-Anglicised one I am going to use for myself.
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2020, 11:42:10 pm »

Unfortunately, our family tartan is Blackwatch, which I don't really care for. Too much green.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2020, 12:01:00 am »

Unfortunately, our family tartan is Blackwatch, which I don't really care for. Too much green.

Look for variations of Blackwatch in the Scottish Tartan Registry (see links in this thread).
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2020, 01:53:35 am »

Since I am dating a scot for almost a year now, she keeps insisting I should wear her tartan when I get anything. That is the MacArthur tartan and because it's hers, I'm all good with that.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2020, 09:36:42 am »

Black Watch variations. You really can't get away from the green unless you use a "ground colour" variation which is black and white (ref. Scottish Tartan Registry). However the older examples of Black Watch have a large red component, as you get closer to the time when clan tartans began to be differentiated. Apparently Black Watch is the basis for many other tartans.

Black Watch Band Plaid,, 42nd Regiment 1819.

Black Watch from an illustration of a piper in the Black Watch Museum, Perth, Scotland.

Black Watch Dress, as found in a John Lewis store, 1930

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:45:42 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2020, 09:40:58 am »

Since I am dating a scot for almost a year now, she keeps insisting I should wear her tartan when I get anything. That is the MacArthur tartan and because it's hers, I'm all good with that.

You also have variations. Look at this A-Z list.
https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tartanDetails?ref=2278

But there is no great variation in colours.

MacArthur from 1860 portrait and sample in the Highland Society of London Collection (1815).
A single yellow line version is found in Vestiarium Scoticum.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:13:21 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2020, 09:57:48 am »

These are the two basic ones for me. There are several more including 3 "dance competition" tartans, with the same sett, in red with white, white with purple and blue with white. There's a "hunting" version which is green and white, also the same sett

Erskine, Vestiarium Scoticum, 1842.

Erskine, as woven by D.C. Dalgliesh of Selkirk.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:16:41 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2020, 11:57:37 am »

Deleted
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:23:01 pm by Caledonian » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: