The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 26, 2019, 11:18:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds: Second-hand  (Read 23389 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2019, 07:32:38 pm »

an old soldering iron
to be repurposed for steampunk

That would make a great sonic screwdriver.

Another cool book:

20,000 Leagues, Charles Scribner's Sons edition.

This is a 1950's edition, but the illustrations by William James Aylward are copyrighted 1925. It has only four illustrations, but they are color plates from paintings:

That is a very handsome book; would you say the paintings influenced the Disney film?

Yours,
Miranda.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2019, 08:14:57 pm »

Another cool book:

20,000 Leagues, Charles Scribner's Sons edition.

This is a 1950's edition, but the illustrations by William James Aylward are copyrighted 1925. It has only four illustrations, but they are color plates from paintings:

That is a very handsome book; would you say the paintings influenced the Disney film?

Only if the painter was a time traveler. They were painted in the 1920's. The edition was still in print into the 1950's, and it isn't impossible that Disney's people were influenced by the paintings.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2019, 05:41:39 pm »

There is an old building in my town with a sign advertising a flea market, but it has been closed for at least the last two years. Over the weekend, they opened it for a clearance auction. It turned out that the "flea market" was really just one guy, and for some reason he stopped running it a few years ago. This piece was in a box of junk I bought:

It is not an original signed piece; the "embossed" seal is printed. I think that this is an advertising sheet given our by the Remington company at the exposition.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2019, 12:33:50 am »

I took part in the auction, wanted to help the sellers, and raise the stakes. I only made one bet.  But I got into the hands of a small "archive", a box of old papers.

It turned out to be the paper associated with a corresponding member of the USSR Academy of Sciences, Professor of the history of architecture by Bessonov and his daughter.

From Professor there are textbooks on the history of architecture 40 years (edition of 200 copies, a manuscript) . A volume with a draft of some monograph or dissertation. And pre-revolutionary notes.

From her daughter, notebooks notes when she was at University on something electric, in the 30's. One of the notebooks - a wonderful subject of history. On the back cover - tips for students in the Soviet Union of the 30's. for Example - "Never spit on the floor, it's bad and dirty."

And after the war (1948), she was a Deputy of the district Council of one of the districts of Moscow. And there is her Deputy notebook. With a record of the Affairs of the district and requests of people. When you take notes, you go back to that time.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2019, 03:17:31 am »

morozow, that's a treasure of an archive - what are you going to do with it?
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2019, 10:33:00 am »

Well, treasure is an exaggeration. But a certain historical value is. Especially the Deputy's notebook. There is one "epic", "battle" with the Manager of the house that he would rearrange the floors in one of the rooms.

I'll take it apart, put it in daddies and boxes, and I'll keep it. Enjoying the thought of having such an interesting thing. 

I will get acquainted with the history of architecture in the textbook. Smiley

And we need to "decode" all of the entries in notebook.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2019, 05:10:21 pm »

a small book haul

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2019, 09:18:00 pm »

a small book haul

Top row, third book. Is that some kind of fensin?
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2019, 10:46:39 pm »

Not my photo, but I just picked up one of these from a guy selling antiques off a table in a vacant lot.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2019, 11:50:21 pm »

I bought on the Internet flea market radio "Integral".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm in radio do not understand (sorry). And by and large I don't need it.  However, I accidentally read about it in the Internet and realized that I want it. It can be bought "new" with storage. But it costs 9,000 rubles (~ 140 $). To pay so much for a useless thing, I was tormented by greed.

So I've been tracking this receiver on the Internet-flea markets.  And caught. 3000 rubles and not far from my dacha, where he had to go.  

Bought. Feelings are contradictory.

Generally twist the handle and listen to the pleasant sound of the receiver I like.

The lack of a front protective cover, carrying strap, and a couple of buttons didn't bother me.

Now in VHF range, we have half a station, I knew. Already ordered an adapter that would listen to the radio in FM mode.

But I found interference with the receiver's power circuit. Probably burned down the power unit, it was replaced and begged the whole scheme. This is a concern, and does not affect the quality of reception.

In General, if it cost 2000 would be satisfied. And three, there is some annoyance.

But once I win the lottery a lot of money, and then buy the same receiver, but "new".

Well, in instagram, you can see how it looks - https://www.instagram.com/p/B0Mem57gIYR/
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 11:51:55 pm by morozow » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2019, 02:31:51 am »

I bought on the Internet flea market radio "Integral".
[...]
In General, if it cost 2000 would be satisfied. And three, there is some annoyance.

But once I win the lottery a lot of money, and then buy the same receiver, but "new".

Well, in instagram, you can see how it looks - https://www.instagram.com/p/B0Mem57gIYR/
For 3000 rubles (~CAD$60) I'd be tempted.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2019, 07:34:04 am »

For 3000 rubles (~CAD$60) I'd be tempted.
I was tempted Smiley. And I would be completely satisfied. If not replacing the power supply.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2019, 07:13:36 pm »

a small book haul

I think your translation is a bit broken, i have no idea what a fensin is.
 the book is a collection of lovecraft inspired stories
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2019, 10:10:01 pm »

a small book haul

I think your translation is a bit broken, i have no idea what a fensin is.
 the book is a collection of lovecraft inspired stories

Exactly. Error. I mean, Fanzine .  Here it is - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanzine
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: