The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 24, 2019, 04:46:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds: Second-hand  (Read 16123 times)
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2018, 03:51:34 pm »

More cool books

Excellent book. And the prices are also nice.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Not mad, just a little odd...

« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2018, 11:30:05 pm »

Tom Swift was a boy inventor, created circa 1910. His books were of his fantastic globetrotting adventures, in which he was aided by his fantastic (for the time) inventions.

I just picked up the first volume of the Tom Swift Jr. adventures, "Tom Swift and His Flying Lab", written pseudonymously by Victor Appleton II.  This is from the second series, published starting in 1954 and featuring the son of the original. This genius inventor was a lot more ambitious, creating nuclear-powered spaceships, radar security systems, and long-range radiation detectors (and that's just the first book!). 
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2018, 11:37:40 pm »

Carboot Sale Finds

The folding ruler is stamped LNER!

Late responding, but...

I came across an article in one of my woodworking magazines I Thought I should mention...

Check your folding rule against a modern known-accurate yardstick.... some of the older folding rules used an archaic inch that is not the same as the modern inch!

Yhs
Prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2018, 11:51:55 pm »

More cool books, this time from a small antiques mall in a suburb of Toledo:

I'm always happy to find these at a good price:

I picked them up for $5 each.
Tom Swift was a boy inventor, created circa 1910. His books were of his fantastic globetrotting adventures, in which he was aided by his fantastic (for the time) inventions.

But if a boy was not content to read about Tom Swift, and aspired to actually be Tom Swift, this book would be the for that boy:

I picked this book up for $20. It is a bit worn, and the spine is failing, but I consider it a good buy at the price I paid.
The book is packed with things to build, taken from articles in early Popular Mechanics and Boy's Popular Mechanics magazines. The projects include farm equipment, numerous electrical apparatus (transmitters, hand-made meters, motors, etc.), steam engines and turbines, boats, skis, magic tricks, and even a very primitive one-man glider. There are usually one or more projects per page. Instructions are basic and brief.

Here's a sample page:

As a sprout....
I had the entire collection of Tom Swift Junior series... I had always wondered about “Senior”....

Regarding the boy mechanics...
One of those things had many tube-based electronics projects, I was enamoured with and aspired to build the super-regenerative shortwave radio set... until I bought the modernisch tube based Lafayette Radio superheterodyne multiband shortwave receiver KIT, WITH the required BFO so one could actually hear single side and transmissions. ... but I digress ....

One of the projects involved overdriving common triodes or pentodes to make your very own X-ray machine! I hesitate to think how many youngsters overexposed themselves....

Yhs
Prof Marvel
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2018, 05:21:21 pm »

Regarding the boy mechanics...
One of those things had many tube-based electronics projects, I was enamoured with and aspired to build the super-regenerative shortwave radio set... until I bought the modernisch tube based Lafayette Radio superheterodyne multiband shortwave receiver KIT, WITH the required BFO so one could actually hear single side and transmissions. ... but I digress ....

One of the projects involved overdriving common triodes or pentodes to make your very own X-ray machine! I hesitate to think how many youngsters overexposed themselves....

Yhs
Prof Marvel

The book is full of chemistry projects that use corrosive and volatile chemicals, and electric projects that use high voltage. One of the build-it-yourself projects is a one man glider (this was published in 1913). The litigation culture of today did not exist back then, nor did helicopter parenting.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2018, 10:12:13 am »

I bought here is a panel of Soviet times. The panel consists of brass engravings.

Years of the 80s. was it then 48 Soviet rubles. That was good money. Perhaps it was not for apartments, and for decorations offices.

Is the bridges of Leningrad. Although the ' 80s were almost like yesterday. Only now there is no such city. Leningrad is now St Petersburg again.  So, perhaps this fragment of that era can be considered Antiques.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2018, 07:35:58 pm »

I bought here is a panel of Soviet times. The panel consists of brass engravings.

Years of the 80s. was it then 48 Soviet rubles. That was good money. Perhaps it was not for apartments, and for decorations offices.

Is the bridges of Leningrad. Although the ' 80s were almost like yesterday. Only now there is no such city. Leningrad is now St Petersburg again.  So, perhaps this fragment of that era can be considered Antiques.

It's wonderful.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2018, 11:46:14 pm »

Elegant, and as such a worthy reflection of the city it draws from.

Yours,
Miranda.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2018, 04:50:22 pm »

Not flee market per say but
I got this from my local thrift store

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2018, 05:49:48 pm »

Ооооооо!
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2018, 08:41:30 pm »

Seriously Jealous of you now. That is a very nice piece...

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2018, 10:18:07 pm »

Thank you! I'm very happy with it too! Its very low tho so it may need modification before i can use it...like, fit my knees underneath
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2018, 04:08:46 am »

Ooooh, nice one!
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2018, 11:08:26 am »

Now, that is rather a fine looking desk.

Good find!!

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2018, 08:22:37 pm »

Very fine desk.

If you are raising the desk by putting platforms under the desk at each side you could include a secret drawer and/or a small safe in one or both platforms.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2018, 10:39:17 pm »

Brought back by a friend from a Christmas trip to Illinois:

Both 1920's era or earlier. Original cartoonist's inks. The framed cartoon is signed by A.J. Housinger, who does not seem to have achieved much fame as a cartoonist, but online I found one example of a strip he did called "Married Life"

The second strip makes a reference to something called a "traction company", which I had to look up. It's a streetcar company.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2019, 03:18:11 pm »

My flea market find consists of a few items:
I've recently bought a second hand moped.
A retro looking Chinese junk-machine, but it works.
To go in style, I've added a suitcase I found at a local flea market.
At a second hand store, I purchased a jerrycan.
Now, the suitcase is bolted on the seat and the jerrycan is strapped on the suitcase with an old belt.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Deimos
Gunner

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2019, 09:17:58 pm »

Not flee market per say but
I got this from my local thrift store

I am so envious... our flea markets never have stuff like that...all you ever see out here is, well....fleas, and crickets, lots of crickets :-p

People will almost always forgive you when you are wrong.
They will never forgive you for being right.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: