The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 19, 2019, 09:09:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Goose: Vodka Ad With A Atomicpunk Flair  (Read 1185 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: June 27, 2016, 08:33:30 pm »

That Some Atomic Swag Going On Here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpxE0MGJRSM

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:59:03 pm »

Has sort of a 21st Century Art Deco vibe to it.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Cmdr. Storm
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 05:52:40 am »

Very Cool Ad. had a Mix of James Bond,Sky Captain,and Old Time Movie Serial feel to it.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 07:06:30 am »

Ahh, that's the dream.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 07:38:42 am »

The society for cloud-projected film noir (SCPFN).  Grin

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 10:28:36 am »

Seriously cool.  Noted the multi sponsor advertising there. 

I have an inexplicable  craving for vodka and soda now
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 11:12:45 pm »

Love the airship, especially the interior.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 06:05:15 pm »

There is more to this advertising message than the exclusivity of the vodka brand. It also promotes airship travel as viable transport and travel. Military  contractors have been  developing modern airship  transportation . The appearance  of these craft on social media in videos and articles is an indication they are about to be launched for military and  commercial use.

A new age is upon us . Watch this airspace !
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 08:27:16 am »

There are two ways of looking at this ad. Superficially, the image of a group of young people taking part in an airship adventure is being used to market a brand of vodka - and yet the vodka is almost incidental. We only catch the merest glimpse of the vodka bottle, right at the end, and there is no actual mention of vodka. The drinks being poured could just as easily be gin or schnapps.

But perhaps what is really happening here is a brand of vodka being used, with entirely subversive intent, to evoke in the audience a longing for a fantasy world of airships, cloud-projected movies, and exotic adventure in which past and future are inextricably mixed - and a feeling of "what the hell am I doing here, working in a claustrophobic cubicle for a bureaucratic megacorporation that scarcely knows I exist, when I could be ...... ah, the hell with it, forget the vodka, I'm going to start saving up for an airship ..... or a 50ft. schooner .... or a 1928 3-litre Invicta ..... "

Athanor.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 08:29:05 am »

There are two ways of looking at this ad. Superficially, the image of a group of young people taking part in an airship adventure is being used to market a brand of vodka - and yet the vodka is almost incidental. We only catch the merest glimpse of the vodka bottle, right at the end, and there is no actual mention of vodka. The drinks being poured could just as easily be gin or schnapps.

But perhaps what is really happening here is a brand of vodka being used, with entirely subversive intent, to evoke in the audience a longing for a fantasy world of airships, cloud-projected movies, and exotic adventure in which past and future are inextricably mixed - and a feeling of "what the hell am I doing here, working in a claustrophobic cubicle for a bureaucratic megacorporation that scarcely knows I exist, when I could be ...... ah, the hell with it, forget the vodka, I'm going to start saving up for an airship ..... or a 50ft. schooner .... or a 1928 3-litre Invicta ..... "

Athanor.

The subliminal message  within the main context.  Is it promoting  a global change , ushering in a new technology  and engineering era ; a new form of  fuel or energy perhaps .
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 10:36:16 pm »

No, I'm afraid it just says that if you want to be considered one of these cool and beautiful people you can achieve it simply by buying this product - and you will never be one of them unless you buy said product!
And don't even get me started on the fact that not one of them is even an ounce over weight, wearing glasses (sunglasses don't count, I'm talking prescription glasses that you need even when the sun goes in), has any skin blemish ...

Buy this vodka and you will automatically be transformed too ......

Sorry - I will now go and drown my mean, cynical, warped and jealous personality in gin!!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 03:50:44 am »

Ms. Courcelle, you're right, of course; the ad is supposed to work on a subliminal level: "Drink our vodka and be transformed into a beautiful person having exotic adventures....." But as soon as you become aware of this, then the subtext becomes clear; "Take this job and shove it - I'm going on an adventure."

There was a similar ad going around the movie theatres in Britain, some time in the last century; two handsome young guys and two bikini-clad girls sailing a 60ft. schooner, somewhere (we suppose) in the South Pacific. It was, as I recall, advertising after-shave lotion. As an advertisement for its product it failed, dismally; when the lotion bottle appeared, right at the end, everyone in the theatre laughed immoderately. I'm confident that almost everyone who saw the ad and later came across that product on the pharmacy shelves would remember, snort derisively, and go buy something else.

But perhaps a few maverick types thought to themselves "wouldn't it be great to junk the nine-to-five life and sign on for a voyage to distant waters....?" And perhaps a few did precisely that - another cubicle drone liberated..... all because of an after-shave ad.....

Athanor.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 08:51:02 pm »

There is more to this advertising message than the exclusivity of the vodka brand. It also promotes airship travel as viable transport and travel. Military  contractors have been  developing modern airship  transportation . The appearance  of these craft on social media in videos and articles is an indication they are about to be launched for military and  commercial use.

A new age is upon us . Watch this airspace !

Sadly not, as much as I wish otherwise there's the all too depressing matter of airships generally being pretty damn terrible at far to many real world applications. At least outside of extremely specific tasks during extremely specific circumstances.

Nice add, very much a 'consume our product and you to can be all genuine/authentic, wear fur in summer and go on fancy trips in fancy classic cars and flying yachts'

Some lovely design in there though, lots of lovely looking classic stuff and a very nicely realized whale airship. Don't feel any connection to the characters though.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 01:56:31 am »

Ms. Courcelle, you're right, of course; the ad is supposed to work on a subliminal level: "Drink our vodka and be transformed into a beautiful person having exotic adventures....." But as soon as you become aware of this, then the subtext becomes clear; "Take this job and shove it - I'm going on an adventure."

There was a similar ad going around the movie theatres in Britain, some time in the last century; two handsome young guys and two bikini-clad girls sailing a 60ft. schooner, somewhere (we suppose) in the South Pacific. It was, as I recall, advertising after-shave lotion. As an advertisement for its product it failed, dismally; when the lotion bottle appeared, right at the end, everyone in the theatre laughed immoderately. I'm confident that almost everyone who saw the ad and later came across that product on the pharmacy shelves would remember, snort derisively, and go buy something else.

But perhaps a few maverick types thought to themselves "wouldn't it be great to junk the nine-to-five life and sign on for a voyage to distant waters....?" And perhaps a few did precisely that - another cubicle drone liberated..... all because of an after-shave ad.....

Athanor.

I recall an ad   played pre movie in the last century  of a similar nature. Lithe young folk of  glamorous  bohemian nature  casting ashore and visiting a tropical island , collecting  tropical fruit and swing ing in hammocks.  It was a rum ad , maybe Bicardi. 
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 09:45:34 am »

That's the basic principle of 80% or so of ads. False equivalency.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 12:20:25 pm »

I watched it again and made a depressing realisation...

The advert isn't glamorous, it's tragic.

A story of a beautiful but disaffected youth, rich but unconstrained constraints of a more down to earth upbringing. Yes, they can afford well kept classic cars and stylish clothes, but the lump around listlessly with distant, uninterested faces.

The one thing that makes them feel alive is taking part in ever more extreme lifestyle choices without feeling or regard for its effect on others. In this video we seem them driving to the middle of nowhere to furtively board a luxurious airship, no doubt avoiding port authorities. From here they drink with wild abandon before setting their vicious and selfish schemes in progress.

First they take the projector from a cinema without any regard for the impact it will have on the business, they fly off leaving the business broken and the main source of the towns communal film going population gone.

Next stop, a lighthouse where they take the lamp, leaving a very real and terrible danger to shipping behind. Do they care about the livelihoods they've destroyed or the very lives of sailors and fishermen who rely on the beacon?

No, no they don't. These callow and selfish youth of the elite classes care little for anything but themselves their their own entertainment. So they smile, laugh and drink, enjoying their film projected onto the clouds heedless of the cost.

Or something like that Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: