The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 28, 2020, 06:05:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 61513 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #975 on: April 23, 2020, 12:43:04 pm »

Personally I favour a space suit.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #976 on: April 23, 2020, 02:08:21 pm »

Personally I favour a space suit.

Ditto.... I think a space suit would be appropriate....

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #977 on: April 23, 2020, 05:34:43 pm »

I've been contemplating making one of these

not sure they'd let me wear it at work, not that it would change the fact that everybody out there is wearing the same set of gloves that touch all the door handles and objects in the store, and their cell phones which they text with those gloves on, and then press to thier faces, and masks and then use the gloved hands to fiddle with the masks or even pull down their masksand talk directly into their phones with... meanwhile all the objects they purchase, they've touched, and the dump on the register belt, where we pick up each one, put it into a bag and give it back to them before taking their money from their hand, or having them use their card on a keypad that they touch like hundreds of other people or refuse to touch so that we have tor reach around and do it for them with the same hands that touched all the things you have purchased and touched with gloves you don't change.

everybody is all about how masks and gloves really do matter, nobody notices the ommission of the phrase, 'when used properly'.

The reason many people told folks they don't work, is in large part because people don't secure them well enough and there are huge gaps around the sides, I've seen enough people secure it under their noses, and they are always fiddling around with them by using a gloved hand to grab the front and adjusting it. Making somebody touch their face way more often than they otherwise would. and nobody is covering eyes. Nobody is using this stuff properly. Meanwhile the rest of the population can't get gloves or masks anywhere  because people are either stocking up enough to allow them to go out unnessecarily every morning and afternoon, or reselling them for a profit online.

don't walk through anyone elses breath, cough, or sneeze, don't touch your face, wash your hands, don't touch anything if you don't have to, and don't go out of the house if you don't have to... and eccept for expendable essential employees, you really shouldn't have to more than maybe once a week.

but other people won't abide by any of that so I stew in everybodies germ swarm daily.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #978 on: April 23, 2020, 08:40:16 pm »

Full hazmat suit, gas mask or a deep sea diving helmet, the latter being my favourite of course  Grin

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #979 on: April 23, 2020, 09:12:21 pm »

I've been contemplating making one of these

How about a more modern version of that?

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #980 on: April 23, 2020, 09:22:50 pm »

Ha, ha! I don't think we need to go that far, but perhaps we can bring back some of those late 60s Mod fashion hst/visors

Combined with one of these (I'm trying to find out the source) I saw on Twitter

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #981 on: April 23, 2020, 11:34:24 pm »

Nice, Sir Henry, very nice indeed!!
A plague mask with a modern twist - like the stitching, too!
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #982 on: April 26, 2020, 12:46:29 am »

Multi GAhs today:

1) Was a nice day so decide to go out on my bike for a bit of exercise. after just five minutes of pedalling along the FLAT, I was out of breath. NOT tired, or hot and sweaty - just completely out of breath.  Seems my lungs are far worse than I thought. That virus seems to have left permanent damage... Sad

2) Tried the latest "Medical Information" from the USA, injected bleach into my veins, rinsed my lungs with a washing up liquid, and shoved a UVC steriliser lamp tube up my a*se. I now look like Deadpool without the mask... THAT Donald, is being "sarcastic", learn the difference!  Roll Eyes

3) The people in the house directly behind mine have been having an all day party / BBQ. breaking all the lockdown rules (multiple guests, etc). It's nearly quater to one in the morning, and they are still playing music and whooping loudly as they are completely tanked up by now. Considering reporting it to the police.  Angry
And no, it's not the first time they have done this (every friday / saturday / sunday), but is first time they have had so many over.

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #983 on: April 27, 2020, 01:11:43 am »

1) Was a nice day so decide to go out on my bike for a bit of exercise. after just five minutes of pedalling along the FLAT, I was out of breath. NOT tired, or hot and sweaty - just completely out of breath.  Seems my lungs are far worse than I thought. That virus seems to have left permanent damage... Sad

Yeah I've a similar issue. If I push myself too hard doing my usual work, or if I don't eat enough through the day I feel like I'm getting a chest cold. I get a bit of a cough, and my lungs feel like they do after days of a cold. I suspect that I may now have some asthma, which I never had before.

My gah for today: I want to quarantine. I've been training for this my whole life. Let me not have to have an alarm in the morning. Get up and stay in my sleepwear all day. working on crafts and passion projects. not worry about staying up late when I'm enjoying something, eat food that may or may not disagree with me later, just so I can try something new.
But noooo, I'm expendable essential, once again in my life.

edit to say: I think it's just the frustration of my life is still chained to working for somebody else, while everybody else is experiencing this moment of history from a shared condition of staying home. It's like culture shock in a way. Knowing that life in the world stopped and changed for everybody... and forever after when people talk about 2020, they will talk about the year or being at home, watching social media and news and seeing as things happened that will cause changes going forward in their lives... and my life, had none of that. My 2020, has thus far been an indistinguishable time period of exactly the same as it was in november. I feel like I missed the arc and it's just another rainy day farming the fields.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:38:34 am by rovingjack » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #984 on: April 27, 2020, 12:53:20 pm »

1) Was a nice day so decide to go out on my bike for a bit of exercise. after just five minutes of pedalling along the FLAT, I was out of breath. NOT tired, or hot and sweaty - just completely out of breath.  Seems my lungs are far worse than I thought. That virus seems to have left permanent damage... Sad

Yeah I've a similar issue. If I push myself too hard doing my usual work, or if I don't eat enough through the day I feel like I'm getting a chest cold. I get a bit of a cough, and my lungs feel like they do after days of a cold. I suspect that I may now have some asthma, which I never had before.

My gah for today: I want to quarantine. I've been training for this my whole life. Let me not have to have an alarm in the morning. Get up and stay in my sleepwear all day. working on crafts and passion projects. not worry about staying up late when I'm enjoying something, eat food that may or may not disagree with me later, just so I can try something new.
But noooo, I'm expendable essential, once again in my life.

edit to say: I think it's just the frustration of my life is still chained to working for somebody else, while everybody else is experiencing this moment of history from a shared condition of staying home. It's like culture shock in a way. Knowing that life in the world stopped and changed for everybody... and forever after when people talk about 2020, they will talk about the year or being at home, watching social media and news and seeing as things happened that will cause changes going forward in their lives... and my life, had none of that. My 2020, has thus far been an indistinguishable time period of exactly the same as it was in november. I feel like I missed the arc and it's just another rainy day farming the fields.

If I had not retired when I did it is quite likely that I would still be working in one or the other of my two paid work fields. I am glad that I am retired.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #985 on: April 27, 2020, 05:31:34 pm »

I bought a hydrometer a month ago when I was making mead. It arrived today - two weeks late and in about 4000 pieces.  Angry
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #986 on: April 28, 2020, 04:02:26 am »

I bought a hydrometer a month ago when I was making mead. It arrived today - two weeks late and in about 4000 pieces.  Angry

Well, you have a lot of time right now and are probably bored to tears, so get some super glue..... and get to work! Grin
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #987 on: April 28, 2020, 09:31:28 am »

Rodents, again, Rats and Mice on my bedroom ceiling, an on going problem, I've tried most things I can think of, poison, sticky and snap traps, cementing holes but the buggers are still getting in and waking me with their hob nailed boots.

Next approach me thinks ............

Mouse Traps - Mousehunt (3/10) Movie CLIP (1997) HD
or not  Grin

Bloody things. Gaaaagh.  Undecided

Edit. Oooh, I'm grumpy today it seems, whilst in moan mode, cats crapping in my garden, sheeyite everywhere, so, rats and cats are driving me bats.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:19:02 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #988 on: April 28, 2020, 09:44:44 am »

Well, you have a lot of time right now and are probably bored to tears, so get some super glue..... and get to work! Grin
As I'm designing and building an eleven compartment puzzle box using a faux marquetry technique that I'm inventing and improving, using mechanisms that I'm designing and building from scratch and an Arduino that I am learning to program to control the servos, solenoids and LEDs needed, "bored to tears" won't come close for another month or two, I suspect.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #989 on: April 28, 2020, 02:17:05 pm »

Rodents, again, Rats and Mice on my bedroom ceiling, an on going problem, I've tried most things I can think of, poison, sticky and snap traps, cementing holes but the buggers are still getting in and waking me with their hob nailed boots.

Mouse Traps - Mousehunt (3/10) Movie CLIP (1997) HD or not  Grin

Edit. Oooh, I'm grumpy today it seems, whilst in moan mode, cats crapping in my garden, sheeyite everywhere, so, rats and cats are driving me bats.  Roll Eyes

We had a problem with them too, and possums. Nothing worked until we threw a whole bunch of moth-balls up there. Apparently they have sensitive little noses and can’t stand the smell.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #990 on: April 28, 2020, 02:49:54 pm »

Mouse Traps - Mousehunt (3/10) Movie CLIP (1997) HD or not  Grin

We had a problem with them too, and possums. Nothing worked until we threw a whole bunch of moth-balls up there. Apparently they have sensitive little noses and can’t stand the smell.
e-bay..... moth-balls here we come, willing to try anything, thanks, I was hoping for suggestions, short of a motion triggered flame thrower.............now, a  PIR sensor, bottle of MAP gas.......... no, definitely NO!Grin
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #991 on: April 28, 2020, 08:14:37 pm »

I've heard irish spring soap smell repells them. I've a friend who tried the mothballs, they gave me a headache and are not good for you, and rodents still chewed through the porch siding and into boxes to crap all over the clothes in storage.

but everything I've seen suggests the best method is drowning bucket traps.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #992 on: April 29, 2020, 06:57:06 am »

Thanks rovingjack, I'm looking into everything suggested.  Cool
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #993 on: April 29, 2020, 09:02:43 am »

RE masks:

I said it before, and I said it early.
MASKS WORK.
when made correctly, of correct materials, and worn correctly MASKS WORK.

T-shirt masks, not so much unless a proper filter material is inserted.

as previously stated by J, Our Fearless Leaders were more concerned about Stopping Threat Of Panic than about real safety.
And trying to "save limited resources for first responders".

In his defense, Fauci and real doctors who understand pandemics were repeating the truth as they knew it:
       "there are no valid case studies proving the effectiveness of masks in these instances".

this is basically true. There are a few studies, and none follow the "required" multiphase scientific method, with control groups & etc.
The problem is, no one but a Nazi Scientist could possibly do one! Knowlingly Withhold masks just for a study? condemn hundreds
of participants to an iuncertain doom?

Of course not.... yet that is what they have unknowingly done.... google Unintended Consequences for more examples.

Further, whilst Our Fearless Leader keeps parroting
"Who knew?"
"I didn't know"
"Nobody knew"

The body of evidence says otherwise... especially this tidbit: The Pandemic Playbook. A step-by-step flowchart with Yes and No answers
that anyone of average intelligence can read, follow, and implement, with procedures! and everything!

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/25/trump-coronavirus-national-security-council-149285

Why look, they had one since at least 2006
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/pdf/pandemic-influenza-implementation.pdf

and it's been updated regularly, and every incoming POTUS has been informed of the complete set of "playbooks" designed for all occasions...

Gee.

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

too depressed for words

« Reply #994 on: April 29, 2020, 09:19:54 am »

RE: rats and mice.

DO NOT try to use mothballs, the mice ignore them and they will make you sick!

I have been engaged in The Great Mouse wars since moving to this semi rural place in 2006. I have tried damn near everything,
including dryer sheets, different soaps, mint, elixers, ultrasonics, live traps, blkah blah blah.

Mice in the attic
Mice in the crawlspaces
mice (gawd help me) trapped in the walls

I have found several things that work:
1) snap traps. STRONG snap traps. baited with peanut butter. check them daily
2) locate the entry holes. cover with tin, or 1/4 inch hardware cloth and concrete/stucco.
3) predators. Cats, Owls, raptors, weasels...

Mice were getting into the cars, too. I tried to locate where they got in (thru the front fenders wells!) and stuffed the area with copper chore boys.
That worked.

So did building a tin wall 1 foot high to park the cars in ... a mouse corral ! :

https://ucnrs.org/mice-barrier-cars/

hope this helps
prof mumbles
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #995 on: April 29, 2020, 11:37:41 am »

Strong snap traps set, baited with peanut butter, 10 sticky traps set with a wheat crunchy, flame thrower a WIP, ordered a Panzerfäust as back up.  Wink
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

too depressed for words

« Reply #996 on: April 29, 2020, 05:06:48 pm »

Strong snap traps set, baited with peanut butter, 10 sticky traps set with a wheat crunchy, flame thrower a WIP, ordered a Panzerfäust as back up.  Wink

Strong Snap Traps Good! Huzzah! Quick , as merciful as one can get, easy to take the tiny corpus out to feed the Ravens.
I tried live traps with the "catch and release" method (far away).... unti l found them eating each other!
So went to strong snap traps.

Except for Pack Rats. They are a whole short story by themselves. They get caught in a Hav-a-hart Squirell Size Live trap,
and relocated at least 5 miles away.

I also relocated a baby rattlesnake. over where the Pack Rats were released.
Now let us sing "We Can All Get Along?" . Circle of life and all.

I could never bring myself to use sticky traps.
Checking on them, viewing the pathetic critters trapped & panicked, then trying to render a swift and theoretically merciful death...
NO WAY do I condone drowning them. Neither swift nor merciful.
call me a hypocryte but I can't do it.
I also gave up hunting.
Shooting, ok. Hunting, not so much anymore.
I am very good at poking holes in paper :-)

I advise against the flame deivces indoors, considering the Collateral Damage...

Please keep us posted on the Panzerfaust! i would be interested in one scaled to rat size!

yhs
prof ( trying to be buddhist) marvel
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 05:11:02 pm by Prof Marvel » Logged
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #997 on: April 29, 2020, 05:34:43 pm »

Strong Snap Traps Good! Huzzah! Quick , as merciful as one can get, easy to take the tiny corpus out to feed the Ravens.
I tried live traps with the "catch and release" method (far away).... unti l found them eating each other!
So went to strong snap traps.

Except for Pack Rats. They are a whole short story by themselves. They get caught in a Hav-a-hart Squirell Size Live trap,
and relocated at least 5 miles away.
I could never bring myself to use sticky traps.
Checking on them, viewing the pathetic critters trapped & panicked, then trying to render a swift and theoretically merciful death...
NO WAY do I condone drowning them. Neither swift nor merciful.
yhs
prof ( trying to be buddhist) marvel

Yeah...have to agree on the snap trap vs sticky traps. Mercifully quick. Suffering animals just makes me want to cry, literally, really cry.  Cry
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

too depressed for words

« Reply #998 on: April 30, 2020, 01:45:23 am »

Yeah...have to agree on the snap trap vs sticky traps. Mercifully quick. Suffering animals just makes me want to cry, literally, really cry.  Cry

Ohhhhh  yessssss .... I tear up over animal suffering.
Then I have to go settle down and work hard not to paint my face black and go out after the perp.
I have to remind myself that is not my job.... there are entire agencies for that, and all I need to do is report it.

Mrs Marvel and I are also the people that stop to collect "road kill" and go bury them.

I can manage to wrap my brain around the snap traps because

1) I TOLD THEM.
     I went out and specifically told all the local mice and The Mouse Nation that they were welcome on the property
     If And Only IF they stayed out of the house, sheds, garage. cars, attics, crawlspaces, walls, ceiling, pipes ....
     I was quite specific.
    And I told them if they followed the rules they   could share the birdseed.

I came out once and moved a stack of woof and found a mouse frozen in place staring at me, so I told it
"it's OK, you are outside and the woodpile is not forbidden"

2) Circle of Life and all -
I feed the dead mice to the Ravens.
I was trapping 3-5 mice daily and feeding the Ravens, Now they recognize me and talk to me.
After I started getting the holes plugged and not catching any  I usually greet them and tell them, sorry, no mousey's today!

Sooooo after a week a Raven came and put a dead lizard in a bowl on the porch for me. Awfully kind creatures!

yhs
pof mlv
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #999 on: April 30, 2020, 05:16:36 am »

I can manage to wrap my brain around the snap traps because

1) I TOLD THEM.
     I went out and specifically told all the local mice and The Mouse Nation that they were welcome on the property
     If And Only IF they stayed out of the house, sheds, garage. cars, attics, crawlspaces, walls, ceiling, pipes ....
     I was quite specific.
    And I told them if they followed the rules they   could share the birdseed.

I came out once and moved a stack of woof and found a mouse frozen in place staring at me, so I told it
"it's OK, you are outside and the woodpile is not forbidden"

2) Circle of Life and all -
I feed the dead mice to the Ravens.
I was trapping 3-5 mice daily and feeding the Ravens, Now they recognize me and talk to me.
After I started getting the holes plugged and not catching any  I usually greet them and tell them, sorry, no mousey's today!

Sooooo after a week a Raven came and put a dead lizard in a bowl on the porch for me. Awfully kind creatures!

yhs
pof mlv

Too funny, your spelling out the rules to the mouses.  Grin
And as for the raven and the lizard, I think it was offering to trade. You said  you hadn't had any dead mice for the ravens for a while . So I can see the Raven's actions as: "Here's a lizard for you, 'cause I sure do like mouse better than lizard (when I can get it)."  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: