The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 28, 2020, 06:33:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 61515 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #950 on: March 31, 2020, 07:50:44 pm »

fatigue, and painful dry cough, thermometer is broken (hands are always colder than head anyway). Guess that settles that then. Heres hoping it a cold, or I'm one in the 80%.

Quarantine it is.

Hang in there Rovingjack. Speedy recovery. Keep us informed if we can be of any help.

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #951 on: April 02, 2020, 12:26:03 am »

thermometer is broke so I have no idea if I'm running a slight temperature, but I've not had that sweating like I ran a marathon and shivering like I fell through the ice going on. Even the cough is a couple of clusters a few times a day and not a constant. The part I hate though is the raw, scraped feeling in my lungs, but luckily even that goes away for a few hours a couple times a day.

I'd say it's a good bet I've got a bit of pneumonia but not a super bad case. Now just to see if this is early or late stages for me. Yesterday I would have said I was getting better, but this morning through the first half of the day Suuucked. lungs hurt pretty bad, and breathing was labored, but I've also not felt like I wasn't getting enough air or dizzy or anything.

so we'll see where it goes.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #952 on: April 02, 2020, 09:25:21 am »

Thinking of you.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #953 on: April 05, 2020, 05:45:15 am »

thermometer is broke so I have no idea if I'm running a slight temperature, but I've not had that sweating like I ran a marathon and shivering like I fell through the ice going on. Even the cough is a couple of clusters a few times a day and not a constant. The part I hate though is the raw, scraped feeling in my lungs, but luckily even that goes away for a few hours a couple times a day.

I'd say it's a good bet I've got a bit of pneumonia but not a super bad case. Now just to see if this is early or late stages for me. Yesterday I would have said I was getting better, but this morning through the first half of the day Suuucked. lungs hurt pretty bad, and breathing was labored, but I've also not felt like I wasn't getting enough air or dizzy or anything.

so we'll see where it goes.

Those symptoms sound VERY like what I had back in December / January - I have no proof, but I also suspect that I had C-19 or at least some variant of it. If your lungs literally feel like they have gotten smaller and you can only take shallow breaths, get yourself to a doctor ASAP! This happened to me, and I was actually in a much worse condition than I thought at the time (I really should have been on oxygen as I was somewhat suffering from Hypoxia). About this time my legs also swelled up (Pitting Oedema), which indicates my heart was having a pretty rough time too. After a few days of severe coughing, I ended up producing blood streaked foam / mucus though it was mostly a dry cough and a slightly metallic taste...

I can't say I noticed an actual fever or elevated temperature, however I was taking a lot of Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) and Codeine for general aches and to help control the coughing (Codeine is an antitussive). So this would have masked the temperature symptom.

Be aware that the cough will last a LONG time - I still have mine, though it is greatly reduced from what it was. My lungs however still don't feel quite right, so I think there may have been some lasting damage there. My lung capacity is definitely less than before.  Undecided

Take care and good luck!

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #954 on: April 05, 2020, 10:08:48 am »

Sometimes it would have been wise to think before showing something on the forums....the trolls are out there.

Showed my 5" gauge CoCo diesel (1.65m long) on a "proper" Railway forum.
There is always this one troll.
Not he found my posting.

"Aaaah, it is such a shame that the front is waaaaaay different from what in should be"
(Yes, there are some minor differences in dimensions, visible only for the experts)

"I feel so sorry for, after all that effort put into it it just does not look right"
(Even folks who have worked on and driven the prototype loco found the model a good representation)

I got this loco half-finished from a friend who, in his eighties, said he would not finish it.
There were some construction errors that I ironed out and now I am still working on the details.

Spoiler: for those who want to see it:

Best part is:
During their active time these locos were modified countless times. The big chrome handrail ar the front has been removed quite early, the position of the numberplates changed frequently, some had one brake cylinder on the bogies, others had two, roof layout was also modified often.....
That guy has NEVER built anything in 5" gauge, not even a simple four-wheeled wagon!
He always writes about "his" steam loco (in a museum somewhere) that he is going to build in 5" gauge.

It was hard to resist, I would love to answer "Why don't you show some pics of the locos you have built? I like to learn from experts."
But I will not do that. This would be unfair, even to him.

Do not feed the trolls.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 10:11:53 am by The Bullet » Logged

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #955 on: April 06, 2020, 01:12:01 am »

I clicked on your link and thought is was a picture of a full sized train until I got to the 3rd photo. 
Very cool.
As for your troll, I will quote Lady Catherine de Burgh "As to music, I would have been a great prodigy had I ever learned."
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #956 on: April 10, 2020, 01:29:27 am »

@The Bullet: My, that's a gorgeous locomotive Smiley

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #957 on: April 16, 2020, 01:56:27 am »

I'm disabled, and get benefits. Those benefits can be taken away from me if I earn what's considered substantial gainful employment, aka $1200 in a month. Before I got quarantined I'd earned only a little money for a shift or two. Now I have to go back to work for the rest of the month... and supposedly will get a direct deposit check that is the governments stimulus "check" for 1200$

Did they just literally figure out a way to cut most of the disabled people in this country off of the benefits they need to survive? By sending them enough to disqualify them from the programs?
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #958 on: April 16, 2020, 02:09:05 am »

I'm disabled, and get benefits. Those benefits can be taken away from me if I earn what's considered substantial gainful employment, aka $1200 in a month. Before I got quarantined I'd earned only a little money for a shift or two. Now I have to go back to work for the rest of the month... and supposedly will get a direct deposit check that is the governments stimulus "check" for 1200$

Did they just literally figure out a way to cut most of the disabled people in this country off of the benefits they need to survive? By sending them enough to disqualify them from the programs?

As an outsider looking in to America, and without meaning any offence to the general run of Americans, it doesn't appear that any thought is being given to the disabled/disadvantaged/or lower "socio-economic" groups at all - how much does it cost for a Covid-19 test at a hospital?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:04:08 am by Banfili » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #959 on: April 16, 2020, 03:23:16 am »

As an outsider looking in to America, and without meaning any offence to the general run of Americans, it doesn't appear that any thought is being given to the disabled/disadvantaged/or lower soccer-economic groups at all - how much does it cost for a Covid-19 test at a hospital?
"Soccer-economic?" Are they the ones who get kicked around the most?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #960 on: April 16, 2020, 03:54:03 am »

SNIP...
As an outsider looking in to America, and without meaning any offence to the general run of Americans, it doesn't appear that any thought is being given to the disabled/disadvantaged/or lower soccer-economic groups at all - how much does it cost for a Covid-19 test at a hospital?

You can't just walk into a hospital or even a doctor's office and get the test. Only if you have the really distressing symptoms, like not being able to breathe or on the verge of collapsing will they give you the test. Or if you are over 65 or have one of the specified underlying conditions, i.e., being obese/diabetic/heart condition/hypertension/compromised immune system (for any reason)...all those conditions being grouped, along with being 65+, as high risk.

Let's say I was 64 (and not 65, which I am), and I was coughing and running a fever and felt horrible with aches and pains and knew my symptoms were 'way worse than any flu I ever had, and I went to a  doctor or [Urgent Care] clinic, they wouldn't give me the test because I'm not "high risk". They would just tell me to go home, self-isolate, and take aspirin/tylenol/whatever, rest, stay hydrated. Only if my condition progressed to breathing/semi-conscious state would I be admitted for testing.

Now, because I'm 65, and even without having any underlying health problems, I'm considered "high risk', so I  could get the test, if I displayed the  really bad "flu" symptoms.  
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:01:22 am by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #961 on: April 16, 2020, 07:09:16 am »

heard back from somebody who does the volunteer tax prep stuff, and they said it 'Shouldn't' count as income and thus it would be considered in the same way as a tax return would. That's not an assurance that I won't get into a paperwork fight about it in a year, but as it doesn't count as earned pay it's not something that should disqualify those of us on disability. So just  me having a panic attack I guess.

Well that's a question of if they deem you worthy of using the rationed supplies of tests they don'tt have enough of. and after that triage...
It’s supposed to be free. The new law mandates that Medicare, Medicaid, other government plans, and most private plans cover COVID-19 testing — and all testing-related services — entirely. That means no co-pays, no deductibles, no co-insurance charges. Free.

But beware. Our health care system is a mess and the law does not explicitly prohibit charging you if you go to an out-of-network provider. It also doesn’t address other “surprise billing” problems.

The law requires insurers to cover testing and doctor’s office, urgent care, telehealth or emergency room visits as long as the services “relate to the furnishing or administration” of a COVID-19 test or “to the evaluation of such individual for purposes of determining the need” of a test. That means that if your visit does not result in a COVID-19 test, if you get tested somewhere that is not in your insurance plan’s network, or if you’re treated in anyway besides just getting a test, you could end up with a bill.

but one woman bewteen jobs while the household was moving to a new state, had symptoms, was sent home from the doctor and went to the emergency room a couple times for wrosening symptoms, and on the third time they tested her and sent her home to wait three days to find out she tested positive. Total cost to her $34,927.43.

and that resistance to testing people means that anybody who is sick and might have it cannot get paid sick leave without a diagnosis of it, and we cannot get a diagnosis without a test, and they will refuse most people tests, or charge them like that above if their insurance isn't unusually permissive.

And that goes for most employers even allowing you to claim time off to quarantine. No proof you have it, it's unpaid sick days, too many of which in a row (usually a limit of 3 days a month) can be counted as grounds for termination... or just held in records when the time comes to trim costs by cutting hours or employees.

and there are a whole bunch of games getting played behind the scenes to pull any protections and deny people the things they need right now. The spread of the illness is going to be horrific here because too many can't afford to not have a job and can't get a diagnosis that would let them stay home. But small businesses are going to collapse and unemployment is worse than any time in living memory, and that'll persist for some time.

This next year is going to be absolutely brutal.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #962 on: April 16, 2020, 08:10:03 am »

heard back from somebody who does the volunteer tax prep stuff, and they said it 'Shouldn't' count as income and thus it would be considered in the same way as a tax return would. That's not an assurance that I won't get into a paperwork fight about it in a year, but as it doesn't count as earned pay it's not something that should disqualify those of us on disability. So just  me having a panic attack I guess.

As an outsider looking in to America, and without meaning any offence to the general run of Americans, it doesn't appear that any thought is being given to the disabled/disadvantaged/or lower socio-economic groups at all - how much does it cost for a Covid-19 test at a hospital?

Well that's a question of if they deem you worthy of using the rationed supplies of tests they don'tt have enough of. and after that triage...
It’s supposed to be free. The new law mandates that Medicare, Medicaid, other government plans, and most private plans cover COVID-19 testing — and all testing-related services — entirely. That means no co-pays, no deductibles, no co-insurance charges. Free.

But beware. Our health care system is a mess and the law does not explicitly prohibit charging you if you go to an out-of-network provider. It also doesn’t address other “surprise billing” problems.

The law requires insurers to cover testing and doctor’s office, urgent care, telehealth or emergency room visits as long as the services “relate to the furnishing or administration” of a COVID-19 test or “to the evaluation of such individual for purposes of determining the need” of a test. That means that if your visit does not result in a COVID-19 test, if you get tested somewhere that is not in your insurance plan’s network, or if you’re treated in anyway besides just getting a test, you could end up with a bill.

but one woman bewteen jobs while the household was moving to a new state, had symptoms, was sent home from the doctor and went to the emergency room a couple times for wrosening symptoms, and on the third time they tested her and sent her home to wait three days to find out she tested positive. Total cost to her $34,927.43.

and that resistance to testing people means that anybody who is sick and might have it cannot get paid sick leave without a diagnosis of it, and we cannot get a diagnosis without a test, and they will refuse most people tests, or charge them like that above if their insurance isn't unusually permissive.

And that goes for most employers even allowing you to claim time off to quarantine. No proof you have it, it's unpaid sick days, too many of which in a row (usually a limit of 3 days a month) can be counted as grounds for termination... or just held in records when the time comes to trim costs by cutting hours or employees.

and there are a whole bunch of games getting played behind the scenes to pull any protections and deny people the things they need right now. The spread of the illness is going to be horrific here because too many can't afford to not have a job and can't get a diagnosis that would let them stay home. But small businesses are going to collapse and unemployment is worse than any time in living memory, and that'll persist for some time.

I don't think you can even call that a system!
I have a 6th monthly GP Management Plan checkup booked for next Tuesday. It is possible that I may be offered a Covid-19 because of my bloody hay fever sniffles! Also a flu vaccine injection, which I'm um-ing-&-ah-ing about. I've never had the flu, & am reluctant to have a flu vaccine injection. I'll also be booked in for a blood test. None of which will cost me anything, not even the Covid-19 test.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:12:46 am by Banfili » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #963 on: April 16, 2020, 08:30:13 am »

Not as bad as South of the Border. It's going to be absolute carnage. The government is already hiding the official death rates, and attacking anyone willing to denounce it. On top of that, their economy is largely dependent upon ours (as is Canada's) to the tune of ¼ of all the US global trade with the world. Gross mistake to choose to keep such dependence in the 2010s when they were growing stratospherically. You know what they say, the higher you rise the harder you fall. They'd fare better if they had diversified their portfolio.

and there are a whole bunch of games getting played behind the scenes to pull any protections and deny people the things they need right now.

My roommates were self employed. They thought they'd be allowed to apply for unemployment as it was advertised; the program would be extended to self employed people, plus the added $600 that supposedly you'll get as bonus every week (that bonus alone already is more than many low wage workers make full time!), Guess what? Unemployment is handled by the State, even if the money is Federal. The Texas Workforce Commission denied both their requests, which implies they don't get the $600 of Federal bonus either! I knew it sounded too good to be true!

Under the CARES Act(?) unemployed people get more than their normal pay (sometimes double depending on the state), because workers get the COVID 19 bonus to the regular unemployment payout (say 50% of regular wages in Texas), for doing nothing just twiddling their thumbs at home. If the gamble pays and you are a part time seasonal worker, then its a phenomenal payout (phenomenally unfair for people who kept the low paying jobs, and have to go out there as essential workers and get infected with COVID).

All things being equal, getting a new job is difficult and the easy jobs are deadly (supermarket clerks, as you well know and bus drivers are getting sick) I'm sure a lot of people fell in the honey trap of free money and asked to be furloughed as well... Only to find out that they can't be rehired later in the year.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:58:06 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #964 on: April 16, 2020, 08:46:46 am »

SNIP

SNIP

I have a 6th monthly GP Management Plan checkup booked for next Tuesday. It is possible that I may be offered a Covid-19 because of my bloody hay fever sniffles! Also a flu vaccine injection, which I'm um-ing-&-ah-ing about. I've never had the flu, & am reluctant to have a flu vaccine injection. I'll also be booked in for a blood test. None of which will cost me anything, not even the Covid-19 test.

The United States health care system is not a system. It never was. It's all private insurance with zero government hospitals and the "system" is just regulatory legislation for the industry. There never was a system. Their last chance to actually raise a real system was 90 years ago during the Depression when Franklin Delano Roosevelt pushed socialist ideas in, and created what we call the Social Security System, mostly tuned toward the elderly and retirement (pensioners).

In Mexico their "Social Security" system also covers family health care with a separate government hospital system. Not that it's any good now. They are grossly underfunded and neglected by the executive, and right now it's carnage in the hospitals. To be fair, their system was geared towards providing low level support for developing - world type poor families with young children, things like tending day to day illness and injury and prevention like vaccinations. The system is not rigged or funded to take care of catastrophic emergencies like this one. They need to involve the military now.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:00:54 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #965 on: April 16, 2020, 09:46:18 am »

SNIP

SNIP

The United States health care system is not a system. It never was. It's all private insurance with zero government hospitals and the "system" is just regulatory legislation for the industry. There never was a system. Their last chance to actually raise a real system was 90 years ago during the Depression when Franklin Delano Roosevelt pushed socialist ideas in, and created what we call the Social Security System, mostly tuned toward the elderly and retirement (pensioners).

In Mexico their "Social Security" system also covers family health care with a separate government hospital system. Not that it's any good now. They are grossly underfunded and neglected by the executive, and right now it's carnage in the hospitals. To be fair, their system was geared towards providing low level support for developing - world type poor families with young children, things like tending day to day illness and injury and prevention like vaccinations. The system is not rigged or funded to take care of catastrophic emergencies like this one. They need to involve the military now.

So, if you can afford health care, you can get it, but if you can't afford it, you get nothing?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #966 on: April 21, 2020, 04:38:36 pm »

It should be Whitby Goth Weekend this next weekend.  Obviously it's cancelled and we are staying at home which is minor compared to what is happening in the world, but my gahhh is: usually it's pretty chilly for the April goth weekend (don't know why, it just is); this year the weather forecast is for nice, sunny, not very cold weather - gahhhh indeed!
I am seriously considering wearing full steampunk gear for my daily walk ...
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #967 on: April 22, 2020, 12:54:22 am »

It should be Whitby Goth Weekend this next weekend.  Obviously it's cancelled and we are staying at home which is minor compared to what is happening in the world, but my gahhh is: usually it's pretty chilly for the April goth weekend (don't know why, it just is); this year the weather forecast is for nice, sunny, not very cold weather - gahhhh indeed!
I am seriously considering wearing full steampunk gear for my daily walk ...

Do it! Do it! (and post some pictures...) (Please.)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #968 on: April 22, 2020, 05:46:38 am »

Besides the obvious issue that working right now outside of home is inherently dangerous, I also have to deal with difficult customers who choose to flaunt the safety rules and not wear a mask. I'm only allowed to have 1 customer inside the shop at a time, and per county and city rules all customers must wear a face cover or mask of some sort to enter the business.

The malfeasant in question is an Evangelical pastor, who is defying all COVID related ordinances. He's been doing that for the last 3 weeks coming twice per week - naturally on the days when I'm working.

Simple you say, just tell the customer he can't come in. But if you've read the news, you know how retrograde some people can be on this side of the pond. I could get firm and simply deny entrance to the customer. Difficult to do because you'd have to be on the lookout at the door all the time, andoprevent him from entering, which is not practical. The shop front is a service desk that forces the employee to be separated from the entrance, so you have to go around the desk, to get in front of his uncovered face.

I could call 311, the non-emergency hotline, and call for the police. According to the rules set by the Governor of Texas and the Mayor of Austin the rule is enforceable with a penalty and up to arrest with misdemeanor charges.

But I fear that confronting this pastor directly is a set-up for some sort of religious political statement he's trying to make. If I call the police, we can expect his congregation to bring protesters the next day, like they did at the Capitol a few days ago. Every time he comes to the shop he has some sort of political statement to make as if he's trying to convince me to agree with his conspiracy theories... (which I didn't ask for, as I don't discuss politics with customers). He's trying to pick a fight. This is going to create problems for me and my boss, as if the situation is not bad enough already, and I'm barely making any money.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:09:43 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #969 on: April 22, 2020, 06:53:33 am »

In the UK masks are not required atm, but there does seem to be differing opinions

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51205344  Undecided

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #970 on: April 22, 2020, 09:45:47 am »

In the UK masks are not required atm, but there does seem to be differing opinions

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51205344  Undecided

The global data does suggest masks work. The excuse for not wearing them at the start of it all was that viral particles are too small to be captured by anything, almost. The truth is that they wanted to preserve the world supply of N95 and virus capable masks for health workers, seeing how the global supply of hand sanitizer and toilet paper was exhausted in a matter of weeks.

It was not a lie, but an omission. The omission being that some masks do work, and there are reasons why the fibers can be spaced much further away from each other compared to the size of the virus. The particles show an erratic motion, and it becomes a statistical fact that most viral particles will be filtered by an unwoven material like felt or a coffee filter. But in my case the respirator I made also uses an A/C filter with electrically charged fibers. The fibers are "electrets" - permanently charged substances, typically plastics which are the equivalent to magnets holding a permanent magnetic field.

In addition, the droplet particles flying off people's mouths are bigger than the aerosol particles floating in the air which you've heard about , and while these droplets still haven't evaporated they're still big enough to be captured by most types of cloth. This means tha regular masks are more effective for sick people than healthy people (that was the excuse for telling you to not to wear one). Since we don't know who is sick, it makes sense to make everyone wear the mask as if they were. Collectively the transmission is slowed down - but everybody has to wear it.

Unfortunately I think that omission, and also the omission of not telling people right away that soap and water could break apart the viral shell, created a situation where no one was really stopping the virus, and the only way to clean it was with hand sanitizer, which was a disaster, because we ran out of it. It took several weeks for people to figure out that most house cleaners could kill the virus as outwardly its the same as many cold viruses. At some point someone said "oh yeah, soap can kill the virus too. And, oops, I forgot to tell you, but it's actually the most effective method of killing the virus. Sorry! " By then, you could not find any house cleaners either, and if I remember correctly Europe was seeing cases already.

The end result was probably tens if not hundreds of thousands of lives lost because we just delayed any action for weeks, and any response by one or two months after 2019.

Now masks "magically work" and it's the law to wear one.

Vox: How Soap Kills the Coronavirus

Matthew McConaughey Shows How To Make A Face Mask Using A Coffee Filter | NBC News

[Public Service Announcement] Wear a mask! Any mask! And wash everything that is practical to get wet with plain soap and water! [/Public Service Announcement]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:10:38 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #971 on: April 23, 2020, 10:10:14 am »

The global data does suggest masks work.
At the start of all this I asked in various places about standard dust masks and their effectiveness. Every single response was "they're useless!" until someone added the numbers: "They're useless! They are only 30-40% effective for keeping the virus out. Even though they're 90+% effective at keeping it in they're useless."

I couldn't see the logic then and can't see it now: surely if we all wear masks it will stop 90+% of transmission. And stop us touching our faces as much. So I've been wearing a mask out ever since. In fact Lady Henry has been making them for friends, family and local care workers - mine matches my favourite waistcoat.  Grin

And then there's the slight problem that face masks make facial recognition even less effective than its current 7%. OK, not a 'problem' as such...  Wink

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #972 on: April 23, 2020, 10:29:57 am »

Everyone is banging on about masks, what about eye protection? Tear ducts lead to the nose and therefore the throat, therefore the respiratory tract. Just saying.......What do I know?, I hit stuff with hammers for a living Undecided
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:37:37 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #973 on: April 23, 2020, 10:43:10 am »

I suppose anything that reduces the risk is a good idea, but there is no easy solution alas.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #974 on: April 23, 2020, 10:49:14 am »

Full hazmat suit, gas mask or a deep sea diving helmet, the latter being my favourite of course  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: