The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 01, 2020, 03:21:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 52857 times)
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #900 on: December 10, 2019, 01:23:23 am »

We moved home in Australia a few months ago and are within 1 km of hillside bushland. We are now concerned about possible future bushfires that we have made up a permanent emergency kit of clothes and important documents in case we ever need an immediate (voluntary) evacuation (authorities can't force us to evacuate in case of fire).

But I do worry about those in other states like NSW that have the current fires. On FB, fire crews put up a video of what they are dealing with. Its speed and ferocity is astounding, and scary is an understatement.   

I put my fire plan together every year - documents, extra special treasures, cat carriers, cat food, water & kitty litter etc., & have it all close enough to hand to grab and get out in a hurry. One problem here is that there is only one two lane road through town, the place is stretched out along a 1.5 to 2 km stretch of highway - still, no point borrowing trouble before it comes!

Yes, the cat carrier is there too. Actually needed it on the weekend to take an injured wild possum to the vet after informing the neighbours they had a bee swarm taking over their backyard. I didn't think of the food issue for the pets (the dog will eat anything, mind you). Thanks for the hint. We are lucky that there are three ways into our area, one of which is into an industrial area on a major road, one is semi-rural but away from the hills and the other is into the bushland up windy roads.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #901 on: December 10, 2019, 08:03:04 am »

I'm not sure. If I had to guess I think a cog may have gotten damaged and jammed. In that case replacing it would solve the problem
My stepfather used to buy cheap pocket watches that didn't work from charity shops for next to nothing. He would then keep them in his trouser pocket for a week or two to keep them moving and about half of them would start working again with no more being needed to be done. This is because the most common cause of them stopping was overwinding and the constant movement allowed the spring to repeatedly move a little until it was free enough to work again.
It's always worth a try...

Best of luck

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon Machinery (they/them)

« Reply #902 on: December 11, 2019, 12:16:24 am »

I'm not sure. If I had to guess I think a cog may have gotten damaged and jammed. In that case replacing it would solve the problem
My stepfather used to buy cheap pocket watches that didn't work from charity shops for next to nothing. He would then keep them in his trouser pocket for a week or two to keep them moving and about half of them would start working again with no more being needed to be done. This is because the most common cause of them stopping was overwinding and the constant movement allowed the spring to repeatedly move a little until it was free enough to work again.

Best of luck

I will try this, thank you!

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #903 on: December 11, 2019, 12:28:40 am »

Best of luck

Just wondering if you need to put the watch in a sonic water bath.?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #904 on: December 11, 2019, 03:37:22 am »

Best of luck

Just remember that butter won't suit the works - even the very best butter...

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #905 on: December 11, 2019, 04:01:12 am »

Best of luck

Just remember that butter won't suit the works - even the very best butter...

Apparently margarine doesn't work either.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #906 on: December 11, 2019, 08:34:46 am »

So you are saying there is no Margarine for error?

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #907 on: December 11, 2019, 09:39:40 am »

rovingjack, you should be ashamed!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon Machinery (they/them)

« Reply #908 on: December 11, 2019, 12:29:08 pm »

Best of luck

Never the whole thing. There are special sonic baths for watches, but they do require the watch to be disassembled
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #909 on: December 12, 2019, 07:01:36 am »

I’d pay that one!
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #910 on: January 03, 2020, 07:17:26 am »

As you are possibly aware but the fires in the North East of Victoria are running amok! Eskdale is sitting in a very vulnerable position right now, with fires on three sides - the nearest 2, while nominally under control are 11 km from the little hamlet where I live, the others are some further distance away, over the range to the east. There is a possibility that the Victorian fires in East Gippsland to the south, The Corryong fire and the Alpine fire to the north in NSW may unite into a gigantic mega-fire. It all depends on the weather coming through tonight. Winds in some places are expected to reach up to 100 kph, and temperatures will be in the mid-40°Cs.

Some families and elderly people have already moved to safer areas, and while we here are under no immediate threat at the moment, with the catastrophic heat and wind conditions expected later tonight and tomorrow there is a chance that I, along with the rest of the town’s population may have to evacuate. Right now I have my emergency evacuation kit ready to load into my car - there is a chance that I will have to toss my cats into the car and bug out to a safe place. The last things into the car, apart from me, will be the laptop and netbook.

If the weather does go belly-up and the fires do what is expected, Eskdale will have one water tanker for protection.

Wish me luck - if the weather changes badly, I & my neighbours may well need it!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #911 on: January 03, 2020, 07:32:22 am »

As you are possibly aware but the fires in the North East of Victoria are running amok! Eskdale is sitting in a very vulnerable position right now, with fires on three sides - the nearest 2, while nominally under control are 11 km from the little hamlet where I live, the others are some further distance away, over the range to the east. There is a possibility that the Victorian fires in East Gippsland to the south, The Corryong fire and the Alpine fire to the north in NSW may unite into a gigantic mega-fire. It all depends on the weather coming through tonight. Winds in some places are expected to reach up to 100 kph, and temperatures will be in the mid-40°Cs.

Some families and elderly people have already moved to safer areas, and while we here are under no immediate threat at the moment, with the catastrophic heat and wind conditions expected later tonight and tomorrow there is a chance that I, along with the rest of the town’s population may have to evacuate. Right now I have my emergency evacuation kit ready to load into my car - there is a chance that I will have to toss my cats into the car and bug out to a safe place. The last things into the car, apart from me, will be the laptop and netbook.

If the weather does go belly-up and the fires do what is expected, Eskdale will have one water tanker for protection.

Wish me luck - if the weather changes badly, I & my neighbours may well need it!

I'm sorry to hear that Banfili! Do be safe!

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #912 on: January 03, 2020, 08:19:14 am »

Very best of luck, Banfili. Keep us posted...

(This is the first time I've typed the name Banfili and in doing so discovered that it isn't Banfill  Roll Eyes )
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #913 on: January 03, 2020, 09:11:36 am »

Very best of luck, Banfili. Keep us posted...

(This is the first time I've typed the name Banfili and in doing so discovered that it isn't Banfill  Roll Eyes )

Well done, Sir Henry - it can be a little confusing, especially in a small font!

As for the fire situation, we mere mortals are helplessly dependent on the weather. If it goes well, all will be well and I won't need to bail myself and the cats out to my brother's place - if the weather goes badly, then off we go!

Visibility in the smoke is about 150 metres, because it is so still, with not a breath of wind.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #914 on: January 03, 2020, 11:10:33 am »

Same procedure as last year......

The new year was only 13 minutes old when I had my first trip to the fire-station.

Ingredients as usual:
-idiots
-alcohol
-big crackers
-a dry hedge directly next to a house

Why can´t people just use their brains? When I drove to the scene some people were even waving while standing in the middle of the road.
Would anyone wit a functioning brain stand in the way of an approaching 12 ton fire truck?

We have this stuff every year. Then you hear things like: I could not imagine that hedge would burn....

Being a voluntary fireman in not easy.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #915 on: January 03, 2020, 11:41:26 am »

... Being a voluntary fireman in not easy.

But what would we do without you!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #916 on: January 03, 2020, 05:15:42 pm »

Luck, thoughts and prayers for you and your neighbours and, indeed, for all who are in danger there.
Be safe.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #917 on: January 03, 2020, 11:46:11 pm »

Hi Banfili, Don't forget to include in your emergency evacuation kit any insurance paperwork you might have and bank statements etc. Details of any investments and/or loans and your cats' immunisation records. This is a just-in-case scenario, but it makes things a LOT easier later down the line if things go badly.

We are getting a lot of smoke down here in Melbourne, so it must be 10 times worse where you are. Please let us know that you are OK if you have to evacuate.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #918 on: January 04, 2020, 02:09:22 am »

Hi Banfili, Don't forget to include in your emergency evacuation kit any insurance paperwork you might have and bank statements etc. Details of any investments and/or loans and your cats' immunisation records. This is a just-in-case scenario, but it makes things a LOT easier later down the line if things go badly.

We are getting a lot of smoke down here in Melbourne, so it must be 10 times worse where you are. Please let us know that you are OK if you have to evacuate.

Thanks, Synistor! I have all my paperwork ready to go, cats immunisation stuff I will have to get - I hadn't thought of that, mainly because their vet is just down the road where they were both vaccinated in July, about 43 kms, at Tallangatta. Bank stuff is pretty much all electronic, but my bank branch in Albury is pretty good, my H&C insurance is through them, too. It's all ready to chuck in the car, along with the cats!
The southerly change has arrived at Bairnsdale, already with gusts to 47kph.

I will be evacuating, if necessary, to my brother's in Albury, and will use his Internet to let people know where I am, and that I am safe.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #919 on: January 05, 2020, 03:09:51 pm »

There are old Soviet cartoons. They're great.

It's new year's holidays and they're on TV.

But it is impossible to watch them and most importantly listen to them. They were re-sounded! There were voices of artists, there was music of Symphony orchestras. Now voices and sounds from cheap Chinese toys.

Why?!! This is unbearable.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #920 on: January 06, 2020, 01:17:45 am »

Happy to report that we appear to have dodged a bullet for now! Still ready to bail-out on 15 minutes notice, but it looks like my little corner of the world will be ok this time round.

Thank you all for your concern - it is greatly appreciated!
 Grin Grin Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #921 on: January 06, 2020, 05:20:32 am »

But it is impossible to watch them and most importantly listen to them. They were re-sounded! There were voices of artists, there was music of Symphony orchestras. Now voices and sounds from cheap Chinese toys.

A lot of cartoons from the 30s-60s in America disappeared because they contained content that today is "politically incorrect." I can understand that offensive material is not appropriate, but often characters which were totally innocent and not meant to be offensive ended up hidden...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #922 on: January 06, 2020, 05:21:48 am »

Happy to report that we appear to have dodged a bullet for now! Still ready to bail-out on 15 minutes notice, but it looks like my little corner of the world will be ok this time round.

Grin Grin Grin

Glad to hear you're OK. The images on TV, though point to a harrowing situation. Like in California, things are expected to worsen over the years...
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #923 on: January 06, 2020, 09:11:18 am »

Grin Grin Grin

Glad to hear you're OK. The images on TV, though point to a harrowing situation. Like in California, things are expected to worsen over the years...

Omitting the rest of Australia, which is a bloody big chunk, just in New South Wales and Victoria, six million+ (6,000,000!) hectares have been burnt out, 500,000-600,000+ native animals and birds killed, and in my little corner of NE Victoria - and in just one of the fires in my little corner of NE Victoria - 20,000+ head of stock, including cattle, sheep and horses will have to be destroyed because of their injuries and burns. And that's not including stock burnt to death.

Here we have the driest permanently-inhabited country, in drought, and now burnt to a crisp - It's catastrophic. Some places and people will never recover. The country itself overall will take many, many years to recover to something approaching normal.

We are having a couple of days respite before the thermometer climbs back into the mid-40s on Friday, Saturday & Sunday, and have had just 4mls of rain - just enough to make the tracks and trails slippery and unsafe, with one tanker already tipping over on the slick surfaces. The crew was unharmed.

So, there is a chance that it will be back to Be Aware, Watch and Wait, or Evacuate Now over the weekend. Visibility is 150-odd metres,, so even if it is necessary to evacuate, it will be at slow speed!!! Grin
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 09:16:47 am by Banfili » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #924 on: January 06, 2020, 09:05:23 pm »

A lot of cartoons from the 30s-60s in America disappeared because they contained content that today is "politically incorrect." I can understand that offensive material is not appropriate, but often characters which were totally innocent and not meant to be offensive ended up hidden...

No. Most likely there is a question of money and ownership.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: