The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 21, 2021, 06:35:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 64505 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #875 on: October 23, 2019, 05:03:27 pm »

the property owner, where I rent, is lending the adjacent bedroom out to his ex-wife who has been here about a week.

she snores like a chain saw, is one of those people who needs the TV on to sleep and so is blasting the TV all night that I can hear the commercials through the walls, and despite not being allowed is chain smoking in the house. She's taken all the  Lips sealed forks from the kitchen to god knows where, left plates dirty for days in her room so that it take 10s of minutes with steel wool and soaking to get usable plates again (and where the  Lips sealed the bowls... best not be using those for ash trays) and today she left the fridge open when she left for work hours before I woke up from too little sleep, so now my food is all spoiled... and I have $3 in my account til saturday... and I have to spend some of that on toilet paper because she's used 4 rolls in a  Lips sealed week.

and while trying to deal with that I missed a call, which I think was a call back from a job interview.

Angry

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #876 on: October 25, 2019, 03:47:46 am »

new employers are looking like they wanna play a game of wage theft Chicken. Game on mother Lips sealed ers. If it was just me missing some pay, I call you out for it and refuse to work for you anymore, but you're not paying any of your floor workers what was promised when hiring them for the new store, and your promises to fix it turned out to be lies. You've not only earned my distrust, I'll take a monetary and time loss to make sure that comes back to bite you legally.

I don't like bullies and cheats.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« Reply #877 on: October 27, 2019, 02:28:02 pm »

have to do an online test but am so stressed i can't bring myself to

I struggle and arise
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #878 on: October 27, 2019, 03:21:32 pm »

Caledonian, online tests are often the easiest - you don't have the stress of a room full of people, and generally you get more time to think - you just have to remember to breathe! Tests can be daunting, but you have been through exams and such at college before, haven't you? I know you also have the added pressure of new country, new university and completely new fields of study, but  the fact that you have taken the big steps to go there and try means that you already have what it takes to succeed!

All you need this early in your new studies is to pass. The first year is the hardest, and of that year the first term is the hardest! I remember when I started my Bachelors degree (more years ago than I care to count!) there were 5 assignment/assessment tasks, plus 2 three hour exams over the course of the year. In the assessments, I completely failed the first one, just failed the second, just passed the third, better pass in the fourth and a credit in the fifth, and passed both exams. My primary lecturers were both very encouraging - perhaps if you spoke to your lecturer about your concerns before you sit down and work through the test you may feel better.

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #879 on: October 27, 2019, 05:12:40 pm »

With an online test you can usually do it in more than one go, so you can take it in small steps if you need to, it doesn't have to be in one big scary session. Also, if there is someone there who you trust or if you have a support person they could be with you while you do the first question(s) so you can talk it through with them. My wife is an autism support worker at a university and did exactly this last week. In the end, all she needed to do was talk through what was required from the test to reassure her student, who was then happy to do it by themselves.
Having a notebook to make notes so that you can look stuff up between sessions can help, and having your course notes that you have taken so far this term definitely should help.

You can do it!  Smiley I fully expect to see another post here next week letting us know how well you did on the test.  Wink

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #880 on: October 27, 2019, 07:20:56 pm »

thank you both, taking your advice, I messaged for my extra time benefits to be put into place, because while it was an online test, it did have a timer. this took some of the pressure of (also bless this man for working that out on a sunday) and I have now done my test. scored 20/22 so, yeah. shouldn't have been stressed to begin with
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #881 on: October 28, 2019, 01:11:05 am »

thank you both, taking your advice, I messaged for my extra time benefits to be put into place, because while it was an online test, it did have a timer. this took some of the pressure off (also bless this man for working that out on a sunday) and I have now done my test. scored 20/22 so, yeah. shouldn't have been stressed to begin with

Congratulations, Caledonian - you have done very well, haven't you! Grin, and knowing the work always helps! Hindsight always has 20/20 vision, but you are obviously working well and hard - keep up the good work!

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #882 on: October 28, 2019, 06:26:07 am »

thank you both, taking your advice, I messaged for my extra time benefits to be put into place, because while it was an online test, it did have a timer. this took some of the pressure of (also bless this man for working that out on a sunday) and I have now done my test. scored 20/22 so, yeah. shouldn't have been stressed to begin with
Smiley Smiley Smiley
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #883 on: November 03, 2019, 10:43:55 pm »

Not sure if this is in the right place?

M23 crash: Vintage car rally driver dies in lorry crash

A man has died while taking part in a classic car rally after his vintage vehicle crashed with a lorry on a motorway.

The 80-year-old, driving a 1903 Knox Runabout Old Porcupine, was killed at the scene of the crash on the M23 in Surrey at about 10:00 GMT.

His female passenger was seriously injured and taken to hospital.

The car had been entered into the Bonhams London to Brighton Veteran Car Run, organisers have confirmed.

They said the car had "left the route, which does not include the M23, when the crash took place".

More than 400 vehicles dating from before 1905 were registered to take part in this year's run.

The crash happened on the southbound carriageway, near Hooley.
(c) BBC 19

Thoughts to the driver's family & hopefully his passenger gets well soon.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #884 on: November 03, 2019, 11:11:46 pm »

Reminds me of the recent crashes involving WWIII era aircraft participating in air shows. Unfortunately you are taking your life into your own hands when you operate an older vehicle. Not necessarily due to malfunction (though most of the time it is), but sometimes trying to operate an antique the way we operate current vehicles (ie, power issues, taking fast turns, braking, visibility, etc.) can spell trouble

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #885 on: November 03, 2019, 11:58:42 pm »

Reminds me of the recent crashes involving WWIII era aircraft participating in air shows.

Those bloody Martians & Venusians interfering in our worldy affairs.  Wink
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #886 on: November 04, 2019, 12:31:47 am »

Reminds me of the recent crashes involving WWIII era aircraft participating in air shows.

Well, it is the right kind of forum for it! Turn it into an Orwellian affair.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #887 on: November 04, 2019, 03:39:51 am »

Bloody Martians...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #888 on: November 05, 2019, 12:58:17 am »

Don't you mean Wellsian?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #889 on: November 06, 2019, 12:31:25 am »

Don't you mean Wellsian?

Ah, you're quite right. Although I believe that Martians already are interfering in our affairs if you watch the news, and with quite Orwellian effects.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #890 on: November 06, 2019, 12:42:26 am »

Don't you mean Wellsian?

Ah, you're quite right. Although I believe that Martians already are interfering in our affairs if you watch the news, and with quite Orwellian effects.

Orwellsian as a compromise then?  Smiley
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #891 on: December 09, 2019, 12:20:36 am »

my pocketwatch stopped working Sad
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #892 on: December 09, 2019, 12:38:14 am »

Have bushfires in the area where I live - there are 16 fires within 40 kilometres of my hamlet. All of these are, fortunately, burning in the high country, and not threatening any towns, but the smoke is really horrible! I'm beginning to feel a bit like a kipper!

Compared to Queensland and New South Wales it's not so bad, but the frightening thing is that it's not even really "Fire Season" yet, and the worst of the hot weather is still to come. It is going to be mid-thirties C today and tomorrow - can imagine what it will be like when we are talking of temperatures in the mid-forties or even higher!

I think I'd really like to be somewhere else!!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #893 on: December 09, 2019, 01:48:26 am »

Have bushfires in the area where I live - there are 16 fires within 40 kilometres of my hamlet. All of these are, fortunately, burning in the high country, and not threatening any towns, but the smoke is really horrible! I'm beginning to feel a bit like a kipper!

Compared to Queensland and New South Wales it's not so bad, but the frightening thing is that it's not even really "Fire Season" yet, and the worst of the hot weather is still to come. It is going to be mid-thirties C today and tomorrow - can imagine what it will be like when we are talking of temperatures in the mid-forties or even higher!

I think I'd really like to be somewhere else!!

California can relate, though temperatures are not that high. Lately the power companies have been shutting down power due to the risk of downed power lines starting fires.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #894 on: December 09, 2019, 12:33:42 pm »

We moved home in Australia a few months ago and are within 1 km of hillside bushland. We are now concerned about possible future bushfires that we have made up a permanent emergency kit of clothes and important documents in case we ever need an immediate (voluntary) evacuation (authorities can't force us to evacuate in case of fire).

But I do worry about those in other states like NSW that have the current fires. On FB, fire crews put up a video of what they are dealing with. Its speed and ferocity is astounding, and scary is an understatement.   

See the video at https://www.facebook.com/Fire-and-Rescue-NSW-Station-90-Menai-686411934810836/?__tn__=kCH-R&eid=ARCq1GtyYDgmRszHBHHIBDwHgU0WM4XdpESEeqJ5z6ObJb2amfKwz7rArU4LOy7tAMwlY3tAfrpfq8Yd&hc_ref=ARTadhxhYjXCrtRqsMA1LQFh7tdUKxYF19mhgYz5vfSsGIfh7FYFOeHicqBmqvUFqPY&fref=nf&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBq0J6jItEoCLRvLHw6dCeJ-YOH8SfP746hh0MUgPQEA47OwGgQQJQDcxwgvTuy_US4D9BpE7wcl4moR-mEbHi1BoMwKZv93bcKIQBtT5iAJSqSbFkldjr3o-yI9UlJprPyqikuDN9n6ldx6pkdGXzR3JUefontQEsWHLjo1Yp3Dh71tYTAwkMM6IOpqH3zkYQyumGaY9sk7RyZn_XI5TFY1RvmkzpONUn_0N8R341drVaWSBGv3rgJgNaNRE-53O6-XFmPfx5zQdvHb8iUOWVjv7wLJviqjYJ93ClMDAtCtGcD4oH7t6vb2s3iBB-4Za6q8NOl6eRwFIdoe2fGnoBSiCN1-gnrbhQ.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #895 on: December 09, 2019, 02:54:37 pm »

You will have to practice your horological skills on it! Grin
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #896 on: December 09, 2019, 02:59:17 pm »

We moved home in Australia a few months ago and are within 1 km of hillside bushland. We are now concerned about possible future bushfires that we have made up a permanent emergency kit of clothes and important documents in case we ever need an immediate (voluntary) evacuation (authorities can't force us to evacuate in case of fire).

But I do worry about those in other states like NSW that have the current fires. On FB, fire crews put up a video of what they are dealing with. Its speed and ferocity is astounding, and scary is an understatement.   

I put my fire plan together every year - documents, extra special treasures, cat carriers, cat food, water & kitty litter etc., & have it all close enough to hand to grab and get out in a hurry. One problem here is that there is only one two lane road through town, the place is stretched out along a 1.5 to 2 km stretch of highway - still, no point borrowing trouble before it comes!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #897 on: December 09, 2019, 09:41:12 pm »

Sadly, I don't have the training to repair watches, I can only work with the larger clocks.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #898 on: December 09, 2019, 10:51:06 pm »

Sadly, I don't have the training to repair watches, I can only work with the larger clocks.

That's a problem! Do you think it can be repaired?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #899 on: December 10, 2019, 12:34:34 am »

That's a problem! Do you think it can be repaired?

I'm not sure. If I had to guess I think a cog may have gotten damaged and jammed. In that case replacing it would solve the problem
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: