The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2019, 11:11:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 44947 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #850 on: September 13, 2019, 06:20:48 am »

Note the registration "number"/ID of the plane a little left of center of the image.  Taken at London's Science Museum.  Seemed appropriate for this thread.

Very apropos!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 06:24:13 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #851 on: September 13, 2019, 06:38:21 am »

I recently celebrated my 60th.
In order to look forward to it rather than dread its arrival I made myself 6 bottles of blueberry mead to be opened on the day.
There is an artisan brewery in the unit next to the Hackspace I'm a member of and I've done a fair bit of work to help get them set up. By way of thanks they promised to recreate the beer I used to drink as a teenager but that hasn't been made for a couple of decades or more. And they'd host my birthday party. Lovely people.  Smiley
So I invited a couple of dozen good friends to share an evening of beer and games.
In the week before the event every single person cancelled, saying that they were going to be elsewhere. I gave away the six bottles of mead to my closest friends so that they could celebrate anyway - I didn't need them as I had a barrel of beer to share with the brewers  Grin
Then two days beforehand the brewers told me that the beer wouldn't be ready and as there were no other people coming there was no point opening up on a weekend...

I've been trying (and failing) not to think about what it says about me and my friendships

other than it has finally been proven that I can't organise a pissup in a brewery  Grin Embarrassed :'(

But at least I got cake (http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47768.msg999365.html#msg999365)

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #852 on: September 13, 2019, 08:37:33 am »

happy birthday, glad you're still with us despite close calls.

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #853 on: September 13, 2019, 12:08:14 pm »

Note the registration "number"/ID of the plane a little left of center of the image.  Taken at London's Science Museum.  Seemed appropriate for this thread.
Gave me a chuckle

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #854 on: September 13, 2019, 02:13:19 pm »

I recently celebrated my 60th.
In order to look forward to it rather than dread its arrival I made myself 6 bottles of blueberry mead to be opened on the day.
There is an artisan brewery in the unit next to the Hackspace I'm a member of and I've done a fair bit of work to help get them set up. By way of thanks they promised to recreate the beer I used to drink as a teenager but that hasn't been made for a couple of decades or more. And they'd host my birthday party. Lovely people.  Smiley
So I invited a couple of dozen good friends to share an evening of beer and games.
In the week before the event every single person cancelled, saying that they were going to be elsewhere. I gave away the six bottles of mead to my closest friends so that they could celebrate anyway - I didn't need them as I had a barrel of beer to share with the brewers  Grin
Then two days beforehand the brewers told me that the beer wouldn't be ready and as there were no other people coming there was no point opening up on a weekend...
I've been trying (and failing) not to think about what it says about me and my friendships
other than it has finally been proven that I can't organise a pissup in a brewery  Grin Embarrassed :'(
But at least I got cake (http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47768.msg999365.html#msg999365)

Sir Henry, heartfelt commiserations - similar thing happened to me on my 60th, without the consolation of kids to make a birthday cake! Grin
Difficult time of the year to have a birthday (Christmas Eve!), but despite promises of "yes, I/we/whoever will definitely be there, their presences were marked by their absences, without even the courtesy in some cases, of an apology. Put me off having any kind of 'do' ever again.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #855 on: September 13, 2019, 05:11:20 pm »

Don´t let that put you off, just invite different people.
Similar experience, now I only invite very few members of the family but more friends.
Works for me.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #856 on: September 13, 2019, 10:26:21 pm »

hmmmm
downside of being here.... i'm lonely….
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #857 on: September 13, 2019, 10:56:52 pm »

hmmmm

Downside of moving to an area where you don't know anyone!
You have only been there a couple of weeks, and when you get into the swing of classes, that will change.
In the meantime, take yourself off to the student union or whatever social organisations are involved in your university, investigate some of the student clubs, and, if they don't already have one, start up a Steampunk Club!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #858 on: September 14, 2019, 01:59:01 am »

Came here, like many another, to vent and rant and rave - but after reading others trials and tribulations, have decided that my life ain't so bad after all.

Dad went through his hernia surgery (finally, after nearly eight years of complaining about it, saying he can live with it, etc., and getting progressively worse until he HAD to get it done or look Death in the face). At 80-something, he's not nearly so strong as he was and is taking forever to heal up and get back to some semblance of strength and normality. I've taken over all of the physical work around the house and property that he used to do, and finding areas where, unbeknownsst to myself and Mom, he has been cutting corners in order to hurt himself less. Nothing really bad, and I don't begrudge him, but inconvenient because I have to fix the problems caused by neglect and/or a decision to let a broken this or that go unrepaired.

Plus I do all the driving of people all over the place now, though Dad is slowly getting back to taking care of short trips when my plate is overflowing. I don't like that, since it's how he hurt himself right after the last hernia operation, but it's one of those things where you have to let people do things so they can be normal and get their strength back.

Mom's having heart symptoms, and going through the usual battery of scary connections to scary machines and doctors making dire and vague pronouncements, plus taking care of Dad's rebandaging, helping with bathroom issues and suchlike (Dad and she won't let me do that stuff. makes me kind of wonder why they don't trust me, etc., but that's all maudlin and stuff, so I  just shove it under the rug and move on).

My own Doc's making noises about controlling my sugar better and protecting my kidneys. The most recent appointment was kind of a "Come-to-Jesus meeting," if you know what I mean. Sciatica still is raging like always. My strabismus (that whole divergent eyes and patch therapy thing) could be said to be holding steady, though these days I find it easier to type or read if I take off my glasses and use just one eye. Found out from my new eye doc that the tendency to close one eye is a brain-based reaction mainly to bright light, though sometimes overuse of the eyes can also be a factor (not sure how I'm supposed to read or drive without using my eyes, but OK). Also suggested driving with the eyepatch on, which I have done many times in the past and am perfectly able to do - but I don't like it. Funny thing, I can drive perfectly well with it on, but try walking through a doorway... Suffice to say that our doorjambs are getting a workout. LOL
--------------------------------------------------------
BUT... At least I still have both parents, and while neither I nor the family collectively cannot be said to be entirely healthy or anything even similar to comfortably off, we do manage to keep ourselves out of bankruptcy (barely) and are not too bad off heathwise; I can see that my lot is not as bad as many another, so that's all the venting I'll allow myself - this evening (lol).

Taking care of adults at that stage is *very* hard. You have my admiration. I did that with my grandfather in his mid-late 80s. It became far too much for me to handle at some point, and I think I was in denial about his dementia. I remember at one point starting to lose consciousness while driving and becoming extremely disoriented, so I managed to park at my local supermarket only because the few neurons still working recognized the supermarket logo. I collapsed at the deli section according to the employees and paramedics. Make sure that you take care of yourself!

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #859 on: September 14, 2019, 07:15:17 pm »

hmmmm

You are also brave, intelligent, talented and fun. It may take a little time for others to discover this but when they do ....
In the meantime follow Banfili's excellent advice. Why not use one of your talents and bake a few cakes to share (food is such a good way of connecting  Cheesy)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #860 on: September 14, 2019, 07:42:37 pm »

hmmmm

You are also brave, intelligent, talented and fun. It may take a little time for others to discover this but when they do ....
In the meantime follow Banfili's excellent advice. Why not use one of your talents and bake a few cakes to share (food is such a good way of connecting  Cheesy)

And I can attest from my own experience at university, students never turn down free stuff, especially free food...

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #861 on: September 15, 2019, 01:42:31 am »

Came here, like many another, to vent and rant and rave - but after reading others trials and tribulations, have decided that my life ain't so bad after all.

Dad went through his hernia surgery (finally, after nearly eight years of complaining about it, saying he can live with it, etc., and getting progressively worse until he HAD to get it done or look Death in the face). At 80-something, he's not nearly so strong as he was and is taking forever to heal up and get back to some semblance of strength and normality. I've taken over all of the physical work around the house and property that he used to do, and finding areas where, unbeknownsst to myself and Mom, he has been cutting corners in order to hurt himself less. Nothing really bad, and I don't begrudge him, but inconvenient because I have to fix the problems caused by neglect and/or a decision to let a broken this or that go unrepaired.

Plus I do all the driving of people all over the place now, though Dad is slowly getting back to taking care of short trips when my plate is overflowing. I don't like that, since it's how he hurt himself right after the last hernia operation, but it's one of those things where you have to let people do things so they can be normal and get their strength back.

Mom's having heart symptoms, and going through the usual battery of scary connections to scary machines and doctors making dire and vague pronouncements, plus taking care of Dad's rebandaging, helping with bathroom issues and suchlike (Dad and she won't let me do that stuff. makes me kind of wonder why they don't trust me, etc., but that's all maudlin and stuff, so I  just shove it under the rug and move on).

My own Doc's making noises about controlling my sugar better and protecting my kidneys. The most recent appointment was kind of a "Come-to-Jesus meeting," if you know what I mean. Sciatica still is raging like always. My strabismus (that whole divergent eyes and patch therapy thing) could be said to be holding steady, though these days I find it easier to type or read if I take off my glasses and use just one eye. Found out from my new eye doc that the tendency to close one eye is a brain-based reaction mainly to bright light, though sometimes overuse of the eyes can also be a factor (not sure how I'm supposed to read or drive without using my eyes, but OK). Also suggested driving with the eyepatch on, which I have done many times in the past and am perfectly able to do - but I don't like it. Funny thing, I can drive perfectly well with it on, but try walking through a doorway... Suffice to say that our doorjambs are getting a workout. LOL
--------------------------------------------------------
BUT... At least I still have both parents, and while neither I nor the family collectively cannot be said to be entirely healthy or anything even similar to comfortably off, we do manage to keep ourselves out of bankruptcy (barely) and are not too bad off heathwise; I can see that my lot is not as bad as many another, so that's all the venting I'll allow myself - this evening (lol).

Taking care of adults at that stage is *very* hard. You have my admiration. I did that with my grandfather in his mid-late 80s. It became far too much for me to handle at some point, and I think I was in denial about his dementia. I remember at one point starting to lose consciousness while driving and becoming extremely disoriented, so I managed to park at my local supermarket only because the few neurons still working recognized the supermarket logo. I collapsed at the deli section according to the employees and paramedics. Make sure that you take care of yourself!

I'm trying to do so. It's getting better; we only have to get up with him three times a night now (for the first week or so it was every hour on the hour, and one of us had to hold the bottle that was catching the drainage from a picc line while he took care of *ahem* business. The bottle and picc line are long gone and he's getting stronger, but it's still a slow process. No dementia as of yet as far as we can tell; that's probably down to his continued caretaking of family business matters.

All told, I've got it pretty cushy compared to several others on here, but thanks for the advice and encouragement.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #862 on: September 17, 2019, 03:03:52 am »

whell, I'm out of money for the month again... and have not paid housing costs yet, so that's just great.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #863 on: October 05, 2019, 04:23:11 am »

new job, thrown onto the floor with zero training on the machines used, not even a tour of the building (it's two days in and I've only just learned where the bathrooms and break room are).

Part of the application is stating which days you are available, I said any 3 afternoons and evening shift except sundays and tuesdays each week. Then in the interview I explained that my sundays are spoken for and tuesdays are my days for all my medical managment and appointments. She said okay and that she would take care of that.

The new weeks schedule is up, care to guess two of the Five days they scheduled me for this coming week.

I'm considering it permission from the universe to be open to the interview at another store in about a week and a half. We shall see.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #864 on: October 05, 2019, 12:47:37 pm »

Maybe it would be worth a try to contact the person in charge of the schedule as the information of your "blocked" days may not have been forwarded.

Happens all the time.

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #865 on: October 09, 2019, 02:32:01 pm »

One of the lenses of my goggle spontaneously cracked
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #866 on: October 12, 2019, 11:26:22 am »

Politics
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #867 on: October 12, 2019, 01:52:50 pm »

Politics

Everyone's GAAAAAHHHHH!
Lizzie Cogsworthy
Swab

« Reply #868 on: October 12, 2019, 06:55:34 pm »

Try being American. 'Gaaah' scarcely seems to cut it.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #869 on: October 12, 2019, 10:08:58 pm »

To be honest I feel like it's being a gaaaaaah all around the world at the moment
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #870 on: October 13, 2019, 12:17:35 am »

To be honest I feel like it's being a gaaaaaah all around the world at the moment

Pretty much!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #871 on: October 17, 2019, 07:10:04 pm »

working a new job, got 0 training, they keep scrambling my hours, the inside of the store is colder than the outside because we don't have access to the ac and the head office says there's nothing wrong, they had us open until 10 pm but again the automated store turned lights out an hour early every night for two weeks and they kept telling us it wasn't... and then several weeks in they tell us we will only be open to 9pm like the store next door... which is open until 10, and my 1st pay check came in paying $1/hr less than the pay I was told when I was hired.

I'm not happy and I'm using my off time to go to interviews with other companies who aren't going to be such a fluster cluck.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #872 on: October 18, 2019, 03:03:23 am »

I have a huge GAH I would love to post, however there are reasons I cannot do so.  Roll Eyes

But trust me, GAHHHHHH is not strong enough of a term to adequately describe it...

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #873 on: October 18, 2019, 12:47:15 pm »

Ear infection. 'Nuff said.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #874 on: October 18, 2019, 05:28:51 pm »

Ear infection. 'Nuff said.

OOOHH Nasty!  Trust me, I know what you are dealing with. A few years back I somehow swapped daily chronic headaches for semi-regular ear infections instead...  Huh

Not complaining, it was a good swap!  Still 'orrible to deal with though. Undecided

Anyhow, I have a new GAHH to add - My heating boiler has just broken down. Done a few tests and looks like the gas solenoid has gone open circuit, which *should* be an easy fix.......problem is this boiler is nearly as old as I am, and I have a feeling spare parts may be something of an issue... Roll Eyes

No heating or hot water for me until Monday at the earliest.

**sigh**
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: