The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 21, 2019, 10:39:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 43512 times)
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #825 on: July 09, 2019, 06:26:52 pm »

I am trapped at the Ft Lauderdale airport because my first flight from Cancun was delayed due to weather, and this one was also delayed for the same reason but now we are waiting on a flight crew! On the bright side, I had a great time with my mom and sister on Isla Mujeres... I just want to get home!
It could be worse - you could be stuck at Ft. Lauderdale airport during March break...

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #826 on: July 10, 2019, 02:01:33 am »

It was bad enough as it was. I'd rather have been stuck in the Atlanta airport, it's a nicer one at the very least... I didn't get home until after six this morning. I was originally supposed to be landing at midnight.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #827 on: July 10, 2019, 06:35:25 am »

I am trapped at the Ft Lauderdale airport because my first flight from Cancun was delayed due to weather, and this one was also delayed for the same reason but now we are waiting on a flight crew! On the bright side, I had a great time with my mom and sister on Isla Mujeres... I just want to get home!

You won't get any sympathy from me, I'm afraid. Being in your position, I'd get out of the airport, look for the nearest OXXO corner store who is looking for an employee and just never return back to Texas.

Right now my GAH! is that I'm having a hard time getting my papers done. Suffice it to say that it involves an unusually short period of time between my birth and my parent's marriage. So instead of being an easy slam dunk procedure, my mom will have to cross the border just to tell a Mexican judge that I am in fact her son, and she can give me a power of attorney for me to be able to use my own name on Mexican papers!! The US government never questioned the authenticity of my birth (I'm American by birth not a dual citizen)!! And I lived on a visa for 17 years in Mexico City! I'm so angry!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:39:36 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #828 on: July 10, 2019, 01:20:05 pm »

Paid out $600 on my car last week, and $582.00 on vet treatment for my two cats Monday, and another $290 on reading glasses (& that's even with health insurance!) Can never seem to get my nose in front financially! Govt Pensioners don't have much to start with, so it's really difficult to get enough of a cushion to breath easy, or put away reserves for the unexpected!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #829 on: July 10, 2019, 10:23:46 pm »

Paid out $600 on my car last week, and $582.00 on vet treatment for my two cats Monday, and another $290 on reading glasses (& that's even with health insurance!) Can never seem to get my nose in front financially! Govt Pensioners don't have much to start with, so it's really difficult to get enough of a cushion to breath easy, or put away reserves for the unexpected!

It's time to start printing  new money! Maybe our friend, Otto the Confused can help?  Grin
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #830 on: July 11, 2019, 05:20:56 am »

It's time to start printing  new money! Maybe our friend, Otto the Confused can help?  Grin

Don't fancy free room & board for the next 20 yrs for uttering counterfeit currency - what would happen to my boys if I ended up in clink!!
Can't really complain too much I suppose, but having a couple of cats and a car produces a sneered "Well, you don't really need ...!" or "Well, you chose to live there" - I live here because it was all I could afford at the time, and that situation hasn't improved any!
A car is NOT a luxury item up here, and, as I have Aspergers, the cats are as much therapy animals as "luxuries"!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 05:27:39 am by Banfili » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #831 on: August 21, 2019, 11:49:13 pm »

for the third month in a row my bank account ends the month with less than zero in it. and due to the costs of those negative balances it will cost me more money next month which will likely mean that it will happen again next month too.

I'm kind of angry about it because I foresaw this potential before june (when what little I had keeping me above the bottom was eaten up by car registration, inspection and a host of once yearly costs came due) when I applied for a loan to distribute the costs as monthly payments in a way that could benefit my already good credit score... I was denied because all my income is very low and seasonal or self earned thus doesn't count when calculating income against which to measure how much they would be able to loan on credit.

I'm literally too poor to get credit but have a near 800 credit score from handling my finances so well... so I have no choice to bounce my way through the end of each month all summer long into autumn.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #832 on: August 22, 2019, 02:03:48 am »

for the third month in a row my bank account ends the month with less than zero in it. and due to the costs of those negative balances it will cost me more money next month which will likely mean that it will happen again next month too.

I'm kind of angry about it because I foresaw this potential before june (when what little I had keeping me above the bottom was eaten up by car registration, inspection and a host of once yearly costs came due) when I applied for a loan to distribute the costs as monthly payments in a way that could benefit my already good credit score... I was denied because all my income is very low and seasonal or self earned thus doesn't count when calculating income against which to measure how much they would be able to loan on credit.

I'm literally too poor to get credit but have a near 800 credit score from handling my finances so well... so I have no choice to bounce my way through the end of each month all summer long into autumn.

1. Congratulations on your credit score. After bankruptcy mine tanked and in spite of all those years it never recovered (poverty ensued and bad credit scores were generated in the aftermath until 2014.

2. People with tight income should stay away from banks of at all possible. Automated payments create veritable carnage because banks make their money by charging unreasonable fees.

There are some online institutions that allow you to bank normally with prepaid cards (including direct deposit, wire transfers, ATM debit card and automated payments) WITHOUT overdraft fees ever... The catch is that facing an overdraft, the default  action is for the payment to be rejected, with the only overdraft ever possible being their own monthly fees - they will charge a flat monthly fee of $5 and your debit card will be frozen if it goes negative, but no overdraft fees over $5 ever happen, you just pay the owed monthly fee and your debit card is reactivated. No fuss no muss. You even get a routing number and online check deposit, plus free loading of account in supermarkets and convenience shops... You might want to look into that. DON'T use CapitalOne, avoid it like the plague. Send me a PM if you want me to suggest a bank. I only have that and a Credit Union account for long term storage and physical checks.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #833 on: August 22, 2019, 01:26:13 pm »

1. Congratulations on your credit score. After bankruptcy mine tanked and in spite of all those years it never recovered (poverty ensued and bad credit scores were generated in the aftermath until 2014.

2. People with tight income should stay away from banks of at all possible. Automated payments create veritable carnage because banks make their money by charging unreasonable fees.

There are some online institutions that allow you to bank normally with prepaid cards (including direct deposit, wire transfers, ATM debit card and automated payments) WITHOUT overdraft fees ever... The catch is that facing an overdraft, the default  action is for the payment to be rejected, with the only overdraft ever possible being their own monthly fees - they will charge a flat monthly fee of $5 and your debit card will be frozen if it goes negative, but no overdraft fees over $5 ever happen, you just pay the owed monthly fee and your debit card is reactivated. No fuss no muss. You even get a routing number and online check deposit, plus free loading of account in supermarkets and convenience shops... You might want to look into that. DON'T use CapitalOne, avoid it like the plague. Send me a PM if you want me to suggest a bank. I only have that and a Credit Union account for long term storage and physical checks.

Lot of banks here no longer allow overdrafts - the option is to bully you into credit cards, which make even more money for the banks
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #834 on: August 22, 2019, 07:21:31 pm »

*snip*

Lot of banks here no longer allow overdrafts - the option is to bully you into credit cards, which make even more money for the banks

The good news is that other financing operations noted how many people could not have regular federally insured accounts, mostly due to fees and abuse. Online banking institutions are now stealing all the conventional bank business. I think the driving force behind it (besides the complaints) was the presence of a very large migrant population and also the shrinking of the middle class. More people are either becoming richer or poorer, and for decades the middle class has been shrinking (peaked in 70s I think) . A lot of people don't even have $500 in monthly discretionary cash which in  bank account would stop most regular overdrafts from happening.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 07:23:42 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #835 on: August 23, 2019, 10:00:12 am »

My relatively unimportant gah for the day. After decades of missing my favourite Mexican mineral water brand in the US, the Keurig Dr. Pepper group which owns the Mexican brand has recalled all of the water present in the US due to high levels of arsenic in the water relative to American standards. This is a brand that I knew since the 1970s in Mexico and dates back to the 1940s when water from a famed spring was commercialized and sold in glass bottles.

Thing is, that countless generations have consumed their water, and never was there an issue or illness associated with the brand. The Mexican National University used to publish the chemical analysis of the water which was proudly featured on the label printed on the glass bottles since at least the 1970s..

It's not clear what is going to happen to the brand in the US. Keurig Dr. Pepper may just sell or divest themselves from the brand if they can't filter the arsenic out of the water. The brand is well known south of the border and one of the 2 most important sources of mineral water in Mexico, but in spite of being big in Mexico, it is very limited market wise in the US (but growing in popularity at "double digit rates" according to the conglomerate).

So it doesn't look like I'll see this water again, and perhaps the brand will be killed off by the American company in Mexico as well, leaving the main competitor in Mexico - owned by the Nestlé group, alone to gobble up the whole market both in Mexico and in the US. Unless of course some Mexican investors can be found to retake the brand.

Somebody needs to tell them that almonds (as well as many inedible pits /seeds of the prunus family) are known to have naturally elevated levels of arsenic too. And I don't see anyone barring peaches, plums / prunes or almonds from the market.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 10:03:16 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #836 on: September 02, 2019, 09:01:46 am »

trigger warning for eating disorder folks

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #837 on: September 09, 2019, 04:46:05 pm »

I've been taken off my f****** adhd meds and i just cannot focus and it's driving me insane. i can't even read anymore.
i hadn't taken them for a year because with my work i didn't really need them…..and i started to forget them

when i went in to ask for them again i was denied them because it was too long and they doubted if i "still needed them"
asked the lady if adhd can be cured.
she said no
i said I knew that, why am i not getting medication?
"because i am older now and maybe learnt to live with my symptoms"

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #838 on: September 10, 2019, 12:04:28 am »

I've been taken off my f****** adhd meds and i just cannot focus and it's driving me insane. i can't even read anymore.
i hadn't taken them for a year because with my work i didn't really need them…..and i started to forget them

when i went in to ask for them again i was denied them because it was too long and they doubted if i "still needed them"
she said no

Oh dear, that's not good - any of it! Which part of the ADHD is the more prominent, the attention deficit or the hyperactivity? If one predominates, perhaps trying to manage that one with meds & perhaps the other can be managed without meds? My younger nephew has the ADD part and has never had meds for it - it can be a struggle at times, but he is now 23, working, and studying part time.

And, find another doctor, one who is a little more understanding. Perhaps there is someone connected with your new university who can help - most universities have a support and/or health clinic for students who run into problems.

But, in the meantime, as the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy would say "DON'T PANIC!"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #839 on: September 10, 2019, 04:16:59 am »

trigger warning for eating disorder folks

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Man, I'm picturing you eating half a bag of pork rinds then eating a cheese omelette. Better yet, crush and sprinkle the pork rinds on top of the omelette Lips sealed  Tongue

When I went into a "caveman diet" in my mid 30s, I did so because I became overweight starting in graduate school, in my early 30s. Mine was the notion of eliminating carbs as much as I could outside of vegetables and fruit which I used as filler and snack/dessert as much as I could. Meat, vegetables, fruit, no grain, no processed sugar, avoid like the plague.

Made me lose 35 pounds in 2 months (my target loss) and I noticed that my body continued losing weight beyond what I wanted. There was no bottom, apparently, and my nails became very brittle after a year, so I reasoned that my body did need grains after all. I started bringing carbs back to my diet, to control the weight, and after 2 years I was stable enough that I abandoned the diet and never regained my weight again. That was 15 years ago.

I think that diets can be very misguided. My reasoning is that humans have already altered their own evolution. We have been scavenging even small pieces of meat (eg bone marrow) well before we could walk on two legs. Ever wonder why burned meat smells so good? Is that a learned behaviour? Or something more profound? Then we know that diverting evolutionary traits can be seen in as little as 10000 years ago, and we have a history of agriculture that approaches that order of magnitude in age. So we have a problem. We may actually need those things that some dieticians claim we should get rid of.

It may turn out that the healthiest diet is the old 1950s "food pyramid." As an aside, here's an interesting read I found on my smartphone :

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/fruits-and-vegetables-are-trying-to-kill-you?utm_source=pocket-newtab
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 05:07:03 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #840 on: September 10, 2019, 06:28:02 am »

nah, I know most 'diets' are quackery and use psuedo-science to justify weird ideologies. But the human body is moderately resilient enough to be able to try some new things for a month and find out how ones body reacts to different things without sustaining any real damage. I already learned I get ADHD as all hell on a carb dominant diet. I'm starting to suspect that high fat low carb makes me easier to anger. I literally have almost zero patience lately.

Case in point I'm working on an way to create a sort of interactive prerecorded audio game based on a 1980s interactive learning toy. I want to mod the concept to work as podcast or youtube videos. I need to construct stories around puzzles that have a binary choice for the listener to make at certain points in the 'game'. I have spent about 24 hours over two different days trying to figure out the name of the type of puzzles and riddles that have binary answer options are... a search for binary puzzles get's puzzles that are decoding strings of 1s and 0s. searching boolean gets convoluted puzzles that has the player asking boolean questions to solve a complex riddle. and so on. I thought I might ask some people in another online community and...

Holy  Lips sealed . I had to walk away for a bit. I have a huge sore spot for being made to feel like nobody understands what I'm talking about, and 20 minutes of people talking about their favorite logic puzzles and posting links to multiple choice questions they think I should use... I was practically yelling at my screen "I want to know the name of the TYPE of puzzle that is not a true or false puzzle and does not involve the user asking clarifying questions (because this is a pre-recorded puzzle) that has an A or B answer scheme that isn't a probability or ambiguous answer (ie 40% chance of being right, or is this a natural blonde?)."

It may well have no name, but as a species I feel like we have to have made many such puzzles, and we love to classify things. It seems crazy to imagine we haven't done so for this. I just don't know what the  Lips sealed it's called, so I can't look it up to learn more about it.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #841 on: September 10, 2019, 08:50:07 am »

she said no

Oh dear, that's not good - any of it! Which part of the ADHD is the more prominent, the attention deficit or the hyperactivity? If one predominates, perhaps trying to manage that one with meds & perhaps the other can be managed without meds? My younger nephew has the ADD part and has never had meds for it - it can be a struggle at times, but he is now 23, working, and studying part time.

And, find another doctor, one who is a little more understanding. Perhaps there is someone connected with your new university who can help - most universities have a support and/or health clinic for students who run into problems.

But, in the meantime, as the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy would say "DON'T PANIC!"

I was diagnosed with add as well, and I have no problem with hyperactivity at all. However, I have the attention span of a goldfish, which is a problem in university.
Thank you.
I will try to see another doctor.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #842 on: September 10, 2019, 02:55:58 pm »

she said no

I was diagnosed with add as well, and I have no problem with hyperactivity at all. However, I have the attention span of a goldfish, which is a problem in university.
Thank you.

Good girl!
My nephew's attention span is a bit longer than a goldfish - and once he really got into reading he improved no end, because he was able to get 'lost' in the story.

You do need to get concentration and focus back - with uni it is important. The student support services at your uni should be able to help you work out strategies for managing your time, and the best way to study, given the adhd. I was able to help my nephew a bit with that, having some experience with time management & stuff at work before I retired. I have Aspergers myself, so concentration and focus aren't an issue, but managing the social and communication aspects of Aspergers is the hard part for me - going to residential schools at uni was a nightmare for the first few years, as I was pretty non-verbal - I'm not now, but it took a lot of work! And history students need verbal skills! Grin
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #843 on: September 10, 2019, 08:47:48 pm »

Go back to the doctor, remember to bring a good strong stick.

Ask for medication.

If denied, use stick.
*whack!*

repeat until answer matches your expectations. (iterative process).

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #844 on: September 11, 2019, 02:11:43 pm »

Go back to the doctor, remember to bring a good strong stick.

Ask for medication.

If denied, use stick.
*whack!*

repeat until answer matches your expectations. (iterative process).

I like Your direct approach to the problem. Forgive me for the bluntness, Your ancestors are not from Prussia?

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #845 on: September 11, 2019, 04:39:03 pm »

she said no

Thank you.

Good girl!
My nephew's attention span is a bit longer than a goldfish - and once he really got into reading he improved no end, because he was able to get 'lost' in the story.

You do need to get concentration and focus back - with uni it is important. The student support services at your uni should be able to help you work out strategies for managing your time, and the best way to study, given the adhd. I was able to help my nephew a bit with that, having some experience with time management & stuff at work before I retired. I have Aspergers myself, so concentration and focus aren't an issue, but managing the social and communication aspects of Aspergers is the hard part for me - going to residential schools at uni was a nightmare for the first few years, as I was pretty non-verbal - I'm not now, but it took a lot of work! And history students need verbal skills! Grin

the "fun" thing is i have asperger's as well so the two combined is a bit of a struggle
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Not mad, just a little odd...

« Reply #846 on: September 11, 2019, 09:21:27 pm »

Note the registration "number"/ID of the plane a little left of center of the image.  Taken at London's Science Museum.  Seemed appropriate for this thread.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #847 on: September 12, 2019, 12:13:58 am »

she said no

Thank you.

Good girl!

You do need to get concentration and focus back - with uni it is important. The student support services at your uni should be able to help you work out strategies for managing your time, and the best way to study, given the adhd. I was able to help my nephew a bit with that, having some experience with time management & stuff at work before I retired.
I have Aspergers myself, so concentration and focus aren't an issue, but managing the social and communication aspects of Aspergers is the hard part for me - going to residential schools at uni was a nightmare for the first few years, as I was pretty non-verbal - I'm not now, but it took a lot of work! And history students need verbal skills! Grin

the "fun" thing is i have asperger's as well so the two combined is a bit of a struggle

Depending on where you on the Spectrum (the high functioning end), and if you were very lucky, the Aspergers and the ADD should almost cancel each other out!

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #848 on: September 12, 2019, 07:37:34 am »

I like Your direct approach to the problem. Forgive me for the bluntness, Your ancestors are not from Prussia?

Some are in fact.

But the other part of the family tree is more interesting.
Grown up in a small village (same I live in now).
The place was until 1941 as part of the Office Vechelde an exclave of the country of Brunswick, the former Duchy of Brunswick, and therefore from the Middle Ages to the early modern times often the subject of disputes between the Brunswick dukes and bishops of the diocese of Hildesheim.

So I guess you can imagine the kind of people living there.
Proudly wearing Brunswick colours while surrounded by ...others.
Having fought many battles since the middle ages.

Don´t mess with us.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #849 on: September 13, 2019, 06:05:04 am »

Came here, like many another, to vent and rant and rave - but after reading others trials and tribulations, have decided that my life ain't so bad after all.

Dad went through his hernia surgery (finally, after nearly eight years of complaining about it, saying he can live with it, etc., and getting progressively worse until he HAD to get it done or look Death in the face). At 80-something, he's not nearly so strong as he was and is taking forever to heal up and get back to some semblance of strength and normality. I've taken over all of the physical work around the house and property that he used to do, and finding areas where, unbeknownsst to myself and Mom, he has been cutting corners in order to hurt himself less. Nothing really bad, and I don't begrudge him, but inconvenient because I have to fix the problems caused by neglect and/or a decision to let a broken this or that go unrepaired.

Plus I do all the driving of people all over the place now, though Dad is slowly getting back to taking care of short trips when my plate is overflowing. I don't like that, since it's how he hurt himself right after the last hernia operation, but it's one of those things where you have to let people do things so they can be normal and get their strength back.

Mom's having heart symptoms, and going through the usual battery of scary connections to scary machines and doctors making dire and vague pronouncements, plus taking care of Dad's rebandaging, helping with bathroom issues and suchlike (Dad and she won't let me do that stuff. makes me kind of wonder why they don't trust me, etc., but that's all maudlin and stuff, so I  just shove it under the rug and move on).

My own Doc's making noises about controlling my sugar better and protecting my kidneys. The most recent appointment was kind of a "Come-to-Jesus meeting," if you know what I mean. Sciatica still is raging like always. My strabismus (that whole divergent eyes and patch therapy thing) could be said to be holding steady, though these days I find it easier to type or read if I take off my glasses and use just one eye. Found out from my new eye doc that the tendency to close one eye is a brain-based reaction mainly to bright light, though sometimes overuse of the eyes can also be a factor (not sure how I'm supposed to read or drive without using my eyes, but OK). Also suggested driving with the eyepatch on, which I have done many times in the past and am perfectly able to do - but I don't like it. Funny thing, I can drive perfectly well with it on, but try walking through a doorway... Suffice to say that our doorjambs are getting a workout. LOL
--------------------------------------------------------
BUT... At least I still have both parents, and while neither I nor the family collectively cannot be said to be entirely healthy or anything even similar to comfortably off, we do manage to keep ourselves out of bankruptcy (barely) and are not too bad off heathwise; I can see that my lot is not as bad as many another, so that's all the venting I'll allow myself - this evening (lol).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 06:17:05 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: