The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2019, 10:04:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 46072 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #800 on: April 05, 2019, 03:54:48 am »

Ha! Wombats don't move that quickly, alas!

Hitting a full size bull wombat can write your average car off, will do some major damage to your average 4wheel drive, and even make an impression (wombat body size!) in the front of a prime mover! I was a  bit lucky in that I hit him right in the middle of the car, not with a tyre - the suspension is still ok, tyres still ok - just the radiator and attached bits & pieces damaged. The repairers won't even be looking at the car until Monday, so I won't know the full extent of the damage until late Monday or Tuesday.

My insurance covers 14 days of car hire, but as I don't need it right now I am saving that until a bit later in the repair process!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #801 on: April 05, 2019, 07:31:24 am »

I live in the Newer England on the east coast and I can tell you that summer through Fall of 2018 was a shocking year of tree rats squirrels. any stretch of road more than a mile long would have at least six of the dead creatures on it. It was like a horror movie on the highway. a simple hour drive would get you counts around 60. It was so bad that you just had to get used to driving over the bodies because they were everywhere.

It inspired a story idea for a horror story I started outlining.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #802 on: April 05, 2019, 09:48:13 am »

We have squirrels too, but not that bad. What we have totally out of control is deer. We suffer from Urban Deer. The city is one of the greenest in the country, and we have a large greenbelt (natural wooded areas, and several tributaries to the Colorado River, which is dammed to make 5 "lakes." All along one of those tributaries, a small canyon close to a state park in  the west of the city, we have an absolute gigantic number of deer who climb out of the canyon at night to seek food along the Western suburbs of the city. These are entire families of deer roaming the wooded suburbs. Some of them make it about 2—3 miles to a major highway that splits one third of the city.in other words covering entire neighborhoods. They have no natural predators other than a few sad looking coyotes. Now try and survive a crash into one of those animals at night. They'll also block pedestrians. I've gone toe to hoof with one large aggressive male late at night when I was walking home, about 2 ½ miles.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #803 on: April 05, 2019, 01:54:11 pm »

No squirrels, but there are dogs, cats, possums, koalas, echidna, kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, deer, cattle, horses, camels, water buffalo, pigs (feral and domesticated), sheep, alpaca, goats, and surprisingly, lamas - not to mention the many varieties of native and introduced flying and flightless (ostriches, emus and bush turkeys, particularly) birds - all with a tendency to either break through, undermine or even go over fences and wander the roads. Some of the fences are a bit ordinary, so they don't have a problem going through them. Nothing quite like a couple of eviscerated goats, collected by an early morning fully loaded B double timber jinker, lying on the road, to put you off your breakfast! Undecided

I think the only ones I haven't seen around here are cassowaries, camels, alpaca, lamas, water buffalo and, god forbid, crocodiles! Those last two, and cassowaries, confine themselves to the tropical north, thankfully.

Oh, I forgot - rabbits and foxes, and wild dogs (other than dingos). And the odd tortoise!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:01:03 am by Banfili » Logged
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #804 on: April 06, 2019, 07:33:04 am »

I live in the Newer England on the east coast and I can tell you that summer through Fall of 2018 was a shocking year of tree rats squirrels. any stretch of road more than a mile long would have at least six of the dead creatures on it. It was like a horror movie on the highway. a simple hour drive would get you counts around 60. It was so bad that you just had to get used to driving over the bodies because they were everywhere.

It inspired a story idea for a horror story I started outlining.

Squirrel stew!

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #805 on: April 08, 2019, 02:13:27 am »

No squirrels, but there are dogs, cats, possums, koalas, echidna, kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, deer, cattle, horses, camels, water buffalo, pigs (feral and domesticated), sheep, alpaca, goats, and surprisingly, lamas - not to mention the many varieties of native and introduced flying and flightless (ostriches, emus and bush turkeys, particularly) birds - all with a tendency to either break through, undermine or even go over fences and wander the roads. Some of the fences are a bit ordinary, so they don't hav a problem going through them. Nothing quite like a couple of eviscerated goats, collected by an early morning fully loaded B double timber jinker, lying on the road, to put you off your breakfast! Undecided

I think the only ones I haven't seen around here are cassowaries, camels, alpaca, lamas, water buffalo and, god forbid, crocodiles! Those last two, and cassowaries, confine themselves to the tropical north, thankfully.

Oh, I forgot - rabbits and foxes, and wild dogs (other than dingos). And the odd tortoise!

You missed cane toads... a small creature with a disproportionate dead-pong to size ratio.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #806 on: April 08, 2019, 10:40:34 am »

No squirrels, but there are dogs, cats, possums, koalas, echidna, kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, deer, cattle, horses, camels, water buffalo, pigs (feral and domesticated), sheep, alpaca, goats, and surprisingly, lamas - not to mention the many varieties of native and introduced flying and flightless (ostriches, emus and bush turkeys, particularly) birds - all with a tendency to either break through, undermine or even go over fences and wander the roads. Some of the fences are a bit ordinary, so they don't hav a problem going through them. Nothing quite like a couple of eviscerated goats, collected by an early morning fully loaded B double timber jinker, lying on the road, to put you off your breakfast! Undecided

You missed cane toads... a small creature with a disproportionate dead-pong to size ratio.

No cane toads in NE Victoria! It's too cold for them up here in the mountains, thankfully - there is enough other wildlife without them, although I did leave out snakes and lizards. The "daytime" snakes are the venomous ones, so they are the ones usually made into very flat belts!

There is nothing quite like the pong of dead snake in the summertime - give cane toads a run for their money!
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #807 on: April 08, 2019, 01:50:44 pm »

No cane toads in NE Victoria! It's too cold for them up here in the mountains, thankfully - there is enough other wildlife without them, although I did leave out snakes and lizards. The "daytime" snakes are the venomous ones, so they are the ones usually made into very flat belts!

There is nothing quite like the pong of dead snake in the summertime - give cane toads a run for their money!
Ladies, allow me to introduce to you
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'll take your dead snake over that any day.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #808 on: April 08, 2019, 02:17:09 pm »

Ladies, allow me to introduce to you
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So bad, they named it twice.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #809 on: April 08, 2019, 03:57:58 pm »

So bad, they named it twice.
[/quote]

I genuinely laughed out loud at this comment.  Grin

My gah is rather annoying: dizziness. So. Much. Dizziness. Haven't left the flat in 2 weeks because of it.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #810 on: April 20, 2019, 05:44:08 am »

My GAAAAH.

EDIT: I was reminded of a thing I didn't want to be reminded of, I'd forgot it existed, I was content in my ignorance, dear GODS who thought that particular flash animation was a good idea? Holy all things sacred and some that aren't, WHY? Just WHY? Oh my giddy aunt, it's horrible. I'm freaking out from the memory of it, and just NO.

Trust me, you don't want to know. They shouldn't have told me, and now I'm telling you, YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW.

Adjusting to new glasses. I didn't realize just how bad I needed new ones until I put them on. Good gracious me! What a difference! Granted, since I went with Windsor frames, there's a bit less "visible" area for the lenses, so my FOV is somewhat truncated (not that it's great to start with, no peripheral on the left side). Also, bit of a headache. Obnoxious, yet worth it? I guess?

Oh, and recovering from that blasted "silent myocardial infarction." That's got me a bit miffed.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 07:24:19 am by Xenos » Logged

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #811 on: April 20, 2019, 04:37:23 pm »

Oh, Xenos, we can't let you out of our sights for a minute! Grin
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #812 on: April 21, 2019, 03:52:33 am »

Oi mate, I'm not THAT ba--looks a medical records...  Yeah, you're right...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #813 on: April 21, 2019, 07:15:40 am »

Oi mate, I'm not THAT ba--looks a medical records...  Yeah, you're right...

Indeed!
Anyway, glad to see you're still around, brightening up the world!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #814 on: May 19, 2019, 03:01:44 am »

helped a friend do some yardwork today, tending the burn pile (and melting some trash beer cans found along the road) I was adjusting my hair, and found a tick latched onto my neck. I pulled it off.

Now I'm going to spend the next few weeks flinching at every hair or trickle of sweat that makes me think something is crawling on me, and likely the next year worrying that I've some tick borne illness. The healthcare in this region is notorious for not deeming testing to be nessecary and that nobody has it (I can name 6 people in the last 5 years who turned out to have tick borne illness and it took over a year to get tested to find that out, and it usually costs a fortune) so my anxiety is unlikely to believe that I don't have anything. and the treatments are likely to set my other chronic health conditions back into full storm.

why did I leave the house I was staying at today? So either I have a new health set back that will wreck years of my life, or I'll have anxiety and panic attacks for the remainder of the nexts several months and mid grade hypochodria for a year or two.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #815 on: June 01, 2019, 12:26:20 am »

Voluntary fireman.

We are there to help people in danger.

Just had an alarm.
Alarm message said: "Peacock in tree"
Why do people have a peacock as pet?
Where is the danger?
Why is control calling out two village fire brigades for a *beeeeeeeeep* bird?

You feel silly racing to the fire-station, thinking it is something pretty urgent only to be told via radio that someones bird has escaped.
The dispatcher told us several times that this is a real alarm.

We had quite some "cat in tree" missions but these were announced by phone, without alarm.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #816 on: June 01, 2019, 12:44:11 am »

Voluntary fireman.

Just had an alarm.
Why do people have a peacock as pet?
Where is the danger?
Why is control calling out two village fire brigades for a *beeeeeeeeep* bird?

You feel silly racing to the fire-station, thinking it is something pretty urgent only to be told via radio that someones bird has escaped.
The dispatcher told us several times that this is a real alarm.

We had quite some "cat in tree" missions but these were announced by phone, without alarm.

If you shot the peacock out of the tree I'm sure you wouldn't get any more call-outs for such things  Wink
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #817 on: June 04, 2019, 10:04:20 pm »

Voluntary fireman.

Just had an alarm.

And, (unless the owner has clipped its wings) they can actually fly quite well you know! 
But the neighbours would probably have been quite happy for you to shoot it down as peacocks are so very, very noisy.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #818 on: June 05, 2019, 02:43:03 am »

...And there are always those 'peacock meringues' left lying about to tread in...
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #819 on: June 05, 2019, 09:41:53 am »

helped a friend do some yardwork today, tending the burn pile (and melting some trash beer cans found along the road) I was adjusting my hair, and found a tick latched onto my neck. I pulled it off.

Now I'm going to spend the next few weeks flinching at every hair or trickle of sweat that makes me think something is crawling on me, and likely the next year worrying that I've some tick borne illness. The healthcare in this region is notorious for not deeming testing to be nessecary and that nobody has it (I can name 6 people in the last 5 years who turned out to have tick borne illness and it took over a year to get tested to find that out, and it usually costs a fortune) so my anxiety is unlikely to believe that I don't have anything. and the treatments are likely to set my other chronic health conditions back into full storm.

why did I leave the house I was staying at today? So either I have a new health set back that will wreck years of my life, or I'll have anxiety and panic attacks for the remainder of the nexts several months and mid grade hypochodria for a year or two.
Brother, I'm with you. Tick grabbed me by the hip. Now I observe the shape of the stain. And I can also go to the doctor, so he gave me a delicious antibiotic.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #820 on: June 25, 2019, 02:09:31 am »

Had the gardener here to mow, trim etc. Knock on door - "Sorry to  disturb you, but ... have a bit of a problem.."

Fella had put his foot on the top of the septic tank, and broken one of the cement slabs on top - half the slab had disappeared into the murk, half left hanging! Retrieved hanging half - had good mind to chuck him in to get the rest!! Yes it was old, but hanging on ok - good for a few more months when I could afford to replace the top.

60 yr old septic, works brilliantly, but will now have to fork out for 4 to 6 new slabs to replace the top.

Gaaaah! Just didn't need the extra expense right now! Undecided Undecided Undecided

Could have been worse, I suppose - he could have fallen all the way in! Very short Welshman in a very deep septic tank - would have been fun trying to get him out!!

Temporarily covered for now - might wrap bright pink surveyors tape on steel droppers (star pickets) to deter further escapades!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:11:32 am by Banfili » Logged
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #821 on: June 30, 2019, 06:01:45 am »

Falling into a septic tank is no laughing matter...

My gah: My sister deciding to bring her entire family over to my place. Without asking me if I'm okay with it first. -.-;
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #822 on: June 30, 2019, 10:41:21 am »

Falling into a septic tank is no laughing matter...

My gah: My sister deciding to bring her entire family over to my place. Without asking me if I'm okay with it first. -.-;

Don't think my very short Welsh garden man would have enjoyed the experience! Being in my office at the front of the house, and the septic tank being down the back yard behind the shed, he could have yelled for an hour or so & I might not have heard him! He wouldn't have drowned in it or anything, unless he hit his head on the way down - there's less than 30cm (1 foot) in the bottom!
Anyway, his employer is going to replace the half-slab that broke, & I will replace the rest to make the whole thing safe again!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #823 on: July 08, 2019, 11:56:04 pm »

in about 36 hours I get on a bus, to get to my plane to fly to california to attend vidcon, which will be fun but also leave me pinching pennies for the next month... I having an anxiety attack already... then my airbnb room was canceled on me and I'm left scrambling to try figure out what I'm going to do.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #824 on: July 09, 2019, 06:02:10 am »

I am trapped at the Ft Lauderdale airport because my first flight from Cancun was delayed due to weather, and this one was also delayed for the same reason but now we are waiting on a flight crew! On the bright side, I had a great time with my mom and sister on Isla Mujeres... I just want to get home!

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: