The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 25, 2019, 12:44:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 38998 times)
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #750 on: December 13, 2018, 12:30:40 pm »

The banking enquiry just winding up here is crucifying the four major banks - the fines for fiscal impropriety and illegal practices, and compensation to customers is going to be astronomical!

The main issue that has been identified is that the responsible authorities haven't been adequately policing and penalising the financial companies for what crimes they are known to have committed. Hence, it required a royal comission (a super-powered federal investigation) to find out what was happening. My point is that sometimes the customers are the anoyance and you might wish them to be gone, but sometimes it is morally and technically illegal to do so (as has been shown in this enquiry).

Getting the royal comission happening in the first place is a modern political matter so it need not be discussed here.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #751 on: December 13, 2018, 09:25:43 pm »

The banking enquiry just winding up here is crucifying the four major banks - the fines for fiscal impropriety and illegal practices, and compensation to customers is going to be astronomical!
Well yes, compensation should be high. The problem for us is that while the settlement (out of court) or judgement (by way of trial) may be very high, it will never match the actual damage. A class action lawsuit means that the restitution must be equally distributed to ALL the affected customers. most of which are completely unaware of the violation (in spite of obligatopry notification by media, newspapers, etc.), and whose numbers can go into the hundreds of thousands of people. At the end of the day, the settlement may reduce to a few dollars per person! The fines and damages shoould be 10-100 times larger than the typical settlements! Basically the federal court slaps them in the back of the hand and tells them "bad boy! Don't do it again!" So they do it again...

Which brings me to the next point: how the courts force publication of legal notices. The method is achaic and belongs in the 20th. C if not the 19th. I don't know too many people who bother to read the legal notices on the back page of their local newspapaer, to see if they could claim participation in a lawsuit involving one of their banks (same for government actions against property, forfeitures, abandoned property, tax returns, inheritance estates, etc, etc.). This is 19th. C. mentality. I'm sure there are legal websites that carry the information by state, but most people wuill never read such notices, so banks can get away with relatively low fines and penalties (even in the millions it won't match the actual damage).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:40:32 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #752 on: December 15, 2018, 12:22:24 pm »

Oh, yes, some people won't know that they were being ripped off simply because they were dead. One of the discoveries was that one life insurance service was still charging dead people for life insurance after they had died. Its claim was that the death hadn't been confirmed and the insurance payout hadn't occured, regardless of the length of time it took to make such a confirmation and payout.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-17/amp-charges-dead-customers-for-life-insurance/10255978
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #753 on: December 22, 2018, 02:01:55 am »

[sarcasm]Yay! We have YET another scooter outfit moving to Austin [/sarcasm]  Angry Even more scooters to block the bus stops and walkways and accidentally knock over and run over with cars and buses. Not to mention the scooter related traffic injuries... So far 3 companies I've seen around me and more coming.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/hundreds-more-scooters-hit-austin-streets-as-ford-enters-market/1670218224

The City of Austin allows each rideshare company to have up to 500 scooters in the downtown area but they do not have a limit on how many companies can operate in the city. As a result, there are about 9,000 scooters licensed to operate in downtown Austin and are operated by about seven major companies including Uber and Lyft.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 02:04:04 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #754 on: December 24, 2018, 02:19:31 pm »

We have a bike share thing (a Chinese company) in several UK cities, including the one I live in. As a result there are a LOT of randomly dumped bikes everywhere, and quite a few sitting at the bottom of the river Tyne. Roll Eyes

Well, I just found one dumped over my back yard wall (thankfully my car was not parked there at the time...), and naturally it had been somewhat vandalised. So I took the opportunity this presented to explore the security and tracking hardware. As the alloy case surrounding the tracking module and security wheel lock had already been smashed, I felt it was "fair game" to strip it down and examine the contents.

Results were 'interesting', and I think I see a potential hack to unlock these bikes. Tracking is accomplished via a GPS module connected to an STM32 microcontroller and a combined cellular (GSM) and Bluetooth module. There is a SIM card slot to allow the device to connect to the cellular network, however this SIM was missing from my unit, so unknown what network is used. There is a 5800mAh rechargeable lithium battery pack, which is charged via the bikes built-in hub dynamo whenever the bike is in motion. So this device should have a significant standby time.

Just finished writing my findings up and adding disassembly pictures, which I may pass on to one of the hardware hacking websites for informational purposes. Though I may not, have not decided yet...  Undecided

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #755 on: December 26, 2018, 12:59:05 pm »

Is the battery pack composed of 18650 cells with a protection circuit ? If not, it's not worth a dead dingo's donger.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #756 on: January 05, 2019, 01:33:37 am »

Is the battery pack composed of 18650 cells with a protection circuit ? If not, it's not worth a dead dingo's donger.

Oops... didn't see this reply.  Embarrassed

However, my [late] response is : Yes, the pack is protected, however it is not 18650 cells, seems to be a pair of flat 'smart' phone type batteries in parallel and heatshrinked.  A search on the part number produces this image:

Overall it is quite a nice quality battery pack, no doubt it will come in handy for something - possibly even in it current usage, assuming I can reprogram the custom STM32 board. Small (approx size of a pack of playing cards), long run time, easily recharged, bluetooth and GPRS / cellular capable communications and a built in GPS module......sounds like the makings of a good hidden tracking device to me!  Wink

Annnnnyway....On to todays Gah:

Just after getting over the shock of the recent tax bill (I didn't really need my second kidney anyway...), joy of joys one of my tenants' central heating boiler decides to crap the bed.  Roll Eyes  The life expectancy of the new range of combined heating and hot water gas fired boilers is around 10 years, and true to it's word my boiler is exactly 10 years old. I've looked closely but still have not found the hidden "planned obsolescence" chip yet...

Well a little over £1K later, and I now have a happy tenant with a shiny new boiler. Well at least they will be warm - not sure *I* can afford to put the heating on anymore though...  Undecided
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #757 on: January 05, 2019, 06:10:52 am »

Well a little over £1K later, and I now have a happy tenant with a shiny new boiler. Well at least they will be warm - not sure *I* can afford to put the heating on anymore though...  Undecided

Feel your pain, Siliconous! However, when I had my Hot Water Service (HWS) (aka boiler, in northern climes) installed, it didn't cost me anything thanks to a state government programme for persons with low income being able to replace two movable and two static electrical appliances in ten years for nought! New stove, new HWS!

My old "monster in the roof' had to be replace when the hamlet in which I live had a 'proper' reticulated water system installed to replace the old local water scheme fed from the creek that ran dry! Wouldn't stand up to town pressure. The scheme is no longer operating, which is a shame.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #758 on: January 05, 2019, 08:15:43 pm »

My one year and a month old new laptop I got to replace the last one that failed due to cooling system issues... just had the screen break off of the hinges. I need this to do, well just about everything.

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #759 on: January 05, 2019, 10:38:04 pm »

My one year and a month old new laptop I got to replace the last one that failed due to cooling system issues... just had the screen break off of the hinges. I need this to do, well just about everything.
Could you get help repairing it from your nearest hackspace? The work you're doing for the hackspace movement should warrant some payback, hopefully.

I know the folks at ours would, but we're in the UK.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #760 on: January 06, 2019, 05:54:11 am »

I'm starting to really dislike search engines. Especially when I'm looking a single item, but they decide to chuck a load of pictures/links which have no sodding connection with what I was looking for in the 1st place. Angry

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #761 on: January 09, 2019, 09:36:03 am »

Could you get help repairing it from your nearest hackspace? The work you're doing for the hackspace movement should warrant some payback, hopefully.

as it's just the hinge I'm likely to go down to the makerspace, and see about making a scrappy looking case for the while thing and remove the hinges. It's really just the aggrivation at having to bodge a laptop together after having bought it a year ago.

todays new Gah, is a kind of silly one. I was trying some new food, and figure in for penny in for a pound, got a jar of ghost pepper salsa. I opened it and there was a skin on the surface. the way hot cocoa can get, only salsa colored. I ate some at the time. But how does one tell if they've been poisoned when the food when good makes you feel like you've been poisoned. I guess we will find out.

It was potent but not the horror I was expecting it to be. Maybe it's a weak batch, maybe the salsa isn't as bad as the pepper is on it's own... or maybe everybody who does this and freaks out is a whimp. lol.

right I've got a busy day ahead of me so I should get some rest.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #762 on: January 11, 2019, 08:40:26 am »

as it's just the hinge I'm likely to go down to the makerspace, and see about making a scrappy looking case for the while thing and remove the hinges. It's really just the aggrivation at having to bodge a laptop together after having bought it a year ago.

todays new Gah, is a kind of silly one. I was trying some new food, and figure in for penny in for a pound, got a jar of ghost pepper salsa. I opened it and there was a skin on the surface. the way hot cocoa can get, only salsa colored. I ate some at the time. But how does one tell if they've been poisoned when the food when good makes you feel like you've been poisoned. I guess we will find out.

It was potent but not the horror I was expecting it to be. Maybe it's a weak batch, maybe the salsa isn't as bad as the pepper is on it's own... or maybe everybody who does this and freaks out is a whimp. lol.

right I've got a busy day ahead of me so I should get some rest.

So did you survive the salsa? I've never seen a salsa with skin. Usually the acid environment makes that impossible.

~ ~
Did you figure out how to hinge the laptop?

As much as I have done with computers, save for the Mercury laptop for Sony, I usually shy away of working with traditional laptops. They're a mess, hardware-wise. Everything is special, everything is flimsy and you have about three thousand tiny screws to take on/off or you need to snap/unsnap one or more plastic bezels which surely will crack before you put the whole thing back together again.. plus you have to be careful with the ribbon cable and disconnecting/reconnecting it without breaking the sockets (supposed to be easy, but I always have a hard time). I'm much happier with tablets, because there is no physical connection between the keyboard and the screen/cpu board.

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #763 on: January 12, 2019, 06:24:23 am »

the salsa didn't kill me that day or any day since when I add a teaspoon to my lentils and beef to give it some actual flavor.  I actually like this ghost pepper salsa. it's not just hot but has a bit of flavor to it

I've not fixed the laptop yet. I just leave it propped open on the table right now. I'm unlikely to dis assemble the whole thing and more likely to just remove the  frame around the screen (breaking plastic if needed) build something like a picture frame to hold the important bits. and epoxy some hinges from the hardware store  between the screen frame and the base.

yeah the last laptop had a fan dy and the software refused to start without the fan, so I had to unscrew it, and that was a pain, and the clips for the keyboard and the battery retention both broke. I can cludge a solution to both but I needed a working laptop in a week because that was when I started to travel the country. the replacement fan I needed wouldn't arrive in time, let along fix the thing perfectly first time doing such a thing. but now i've two laptops to fix, and i'm staying in this area for at least another month. worst case, pull the hard drives and connect them as externals to the next laptop.

I need laptops, for their mobility, and the ability to used softwares and typing as much as I do.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #764 on: January 17, 2019, 01:25:30 pm »

An ATM ate my card because, due to fever, I forgot my PIN and entered the wrong number three times in a row. I'm sick enough that walking 200 yards to the ATM was a struggle enough, and now I have to go to my central bank which is half an hour away by bus. No bueno.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #765 on: January 17, 2019, 09:10:12 pm »

No bueno.

Ay! Caramba!  Grin  Sorry to hear that. It sucks being sick.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #766 on: January 18, 2019, 01:57:03 am »

I have a throat infection preventing me from getting any sleep

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #767 on: January 19, 2019, 10:45:08 pm »

Hope that you get well soon & can get some sleep...

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #768 on: February 04, 2019, 06:47:59 am »

I've booked my flight to visit the Makerspace in Hawaii, the cheapest flight I could get was for a month from today. Then found out that despite my address of residence on record and Hawaii both being in the united states of america, I might not be allowed to fly using my current drivers ID because certain parties in our state government refused to become part of the 'real-ID' program and thus my drivers ID is not considered valid proof of my citizenship which is needed for airline safety procedures. Getting a new drivers ID takes six weeks.

I could instead use a passport (which I will need for going to canada and driving to alaska this summer anyway) which I don't currently have but I can get one, but it usually takes as long as a drivers ID unless you pay for expedieted processing, which I guess I will have to do. and so now I've got to find a birthcertificate, and go to an office to get things started because even expedited takes about 3 weeks.

my tickets to fly are non-refundable and if I don't have a passport they may well refuse to let me on any of the four planes to and from Hawaii.

oh and also tried the first of a series of 7 recorded videos on my other channel using a feature of youtube tonight and it was a flop. literally somebody came into it and got in a snit and down voted it, at which point it dropped off the search page for the video type, so it will officially torpedo that video and it will now rest in peace at the bottom of my video archive ... and now I have 5 more just like it scheduled to upload this week. so that's disheartening.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #769 on: February 04, 2019, 10:53:04 pm »

I've booked my flight to visit the Makerspace in Hawaii, the cheapest flight I could get was for a month from today. Then found out that despite my address of residence on record and Hawaii both being in the united states of america, I might not be allowed to fly using my current drivers ID because certain parties in our state government refused to become part of the 'real-ID' program and thus my drivers ID is not considered valid proof of my citizenship which is needed for airline safety procedures. Getting a new drivers ID takes six weeks.

I could instead use a passport (which I will need for going to canada and driving to alaska this summer anyway) which I don't currently have but I can get one, but it usually takes as long as a drivers ID unless you pay for expedieted processing, which I guess I will have to do. and so now I've got to find a birthcertificate, and go to an office to get things started because even expedited takes about 3 weeks.

my tickets to fly are non-refundable and if I don't have a passport they may well refuse to let me on any of the four planes to and from Hawaii.
(smip)

Passport card is faster than a real passport, and much cheaper at $40? at the Post Office -  is that not good??
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #770 on: February 10, 2019, 11:14:08 pm »

Passport card is faster than a real passport, and much cheaper at $40? at the Post Office -  is that not good??

I might do that if they can get it done in a couple weeks. I called the airport and they say it should be fine with my regular ID, the implementation is optional until 2020. I possibly don't need anything, but I'll try anyway. But I will also need a passport by june of 2020 anyway for a bigger trip. so it seems unnesecary to do both within a year of each other.

in todays Gaaahhh! I grabbed a bit of freezer food bite sized poultry foods and put them in the oven for 12 minutes. The outsides were golden and sizzling and so I sat down and ate the first four, they were good and I distractedly munched a really chewy one, and then looked at it to find in raw in the middle. I spit it out and rinsed my mounth only to find half the remaining pieces were also very undercooked or raw. Pitching it all at that point.

Now I wait and see if I gave myself food poisoning with my sensative digestive system, about two weeks before I have to fly across country for a week.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #771 on: February 12, 2019, 06:02:23 am »

update on the passport ID situation. waited an hour in line today to find out that my birth certificate is not acceptable for getting a passport. It's the only one we have and its a document signed by a government official on the date of my adoption with the official embossed seal and everything. But for whatever reason they won't allow it to be used to prove my citizenship. I'm calling all the airports I'll fly through on this trip and checking with them if I'll need it, if not screw this I'll figure it out when I get back from this trip and months of time to mess around before I need it for canada, and a year and a few onths before I travel outside the Americas. watse my  Lips sealed time, piece of  Lips sealed mother  Lips sealed (that made me chuckle at least).
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #772 on: February 12, 2019, 12:26:20 pm »

I have a passport story for you! When we were getting our passports together for our trip to Guatemala, the boys and I had no problem. My husband however, a whole different situation. He was born in Canada, on a commune, and he didn't have a good copy of his birth certificate. So we got the certificate, not enough. We got the paperwork showing his adoption by his stepfather, not enough. We hunted down his parents' marriage license, not enough. Finally, we had to get his deceased, estranged, biological father's birth certificate. That was enough. The passport showed up a week before the trip.
  I hope you don't have quite as complicated an ordeal....

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #773 on: February 13, 2019, 10:29:17 pm »

update on the passport ID situation. waited an hour in line today to find out that my birth certificate is not acceptable for getting a passport. It's the only one we have and its a document signed by a government official on the date of my adoption with the official embossed seal and everything. But for whatever reason they won't allow it to be used to prove my citizenship. I'm calling all the airports I'll fly through on this trip and checking with them if I'll need it, if not screw this I'll figure it out when I get back from this trip and months of time to mess around before I need it for canada, and a year and a few onths before I travel outside the Americas. watse my  Lips sealed time, piece of  Lips sealed mother  Lips sealed (that made me chuckle at least).

That is bizarre! It sounds like a new State Department requirement (there is some very weird and worrying new s*it going on lately under this administration - won't discuss on this forum, PM me for details). So what do they want? Besides a birth certificate, I don't know which other ducument you could *possibly* give that would be more valid!! So your state's birth certificate is not valid, and your state did not participate in the Real ID thing -whaterever that is, meaning your state's regular ID's are not valid at all in the eyes of the State Depratment!! Did I get that right? Are you sure your state has not declared independence from the US? Cheesy Time go get a new citizenship!  Cheesy

Seriously, when you get back, get an ID or driver's license from another state.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:53:43 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #774 on: February 13, 2019, 10:44:53 pm »

I have a passport story for you! When we were getting our passports together for our trip to Guatemala, the boys and I had no problem. My husband however, a whole different situation. He was born in Canada, on a commune, and he didn't have a good copy of his birth certificate. So we got the certificate, not enough. We got the paperwork showing his adoption by his stepfather, not enough. We hunted down his parents' marriage license, not enough. Finally, we had to get his deceased, estranged, biological father's birth certificate. That was enough. The passport showed up a week before the trip.
  I hope you don't have quite as complicated an ordeal....

Don't scare me! I'm not adopted, I was born in a US hospital, and I wasn't born on a commune, but I will need a copy of my birth certificate soon because mine was printed on a type of blue-print paper that is all black now - from before the days of Xerox copies (yes, I'm a Neanderthal-American).

One alternative is to simply go to the embassy of the country you want to visist and ask for asylum!  Grin
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:54:47 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: