The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 22, 2019, 09:59:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 34935 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #725 on: September 17, 2018, 09:39:18 pm »

whenever i post a picture of my goats people think it's funny to tell me goat are good food/tasty/to eat…

Just tell them they're not for eating! Get those poeple off your case by telling them you will raise them for milk!

ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #726 on: September 18, 2018, 02:16:09 am »

I had to call in to work tonight because of a " stealth" migraine - no indication of issues until bam! migraine that leaves me incapacitated....

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #727 on: September 18, 2018, 04:10:43 am »

I had to call in to work tonight because of a " stealth" migraine - no indication of issues until bam! migraine that leaves me incapacitated....

Hopefully not an Ocular Migraine?, as I get them and can be laid up for few hours afterwards.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #728 on: September 18, 2018, 04:02:25 pm »

No, not an ocular migraine, those don't lay me out. This is sudden, with no warning and includes dizziness, nausea and disorientation.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #729 on: September 24, 2018, 02:43:22 pm »

Out in the cow paddock behind my house this afternoon, stood on a nail embedded in a piece of wood - through to the bone! and it was one of those long nails with the corrugations on it, so ripped a hole in my foot on the way out! AGONY!

Quick self-drive (right foot, of course!) trip to nearest doctor (44 kms away), clean-up, anti-tetanus injection, 2 seperate lots of antibiotics, including one for anaerobic bacteria, and home again. Bled like stink, so have already had to change the dressing once. Problem is, its the same foot and same area of foot with a lot of traumatic damage, so just hoping that nothing disastrous crops up in the near future!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #730 on: September 24, 2018, 05:50:38 pm »

Out in the cow paddock behind my house this afternoon, stood on a nail embedded in a piece of wood - through to the bone! and it was one of those long nails with the corrugations on it, so ripped a hole in my foot on the way out! AGONY!

Quick self-drive (right foot, of course!) trip to nearest doctor (44 kms away), clean-up, anti-tetanus injection, 2 seperate lots of antibiotics, including one for anaerobic bacteria, and home again. Bled like stink, so have already had to change the dressing once. Problem is, its the same foot and same area of foot with a lot of traumatic damage, so just hoping that nothing disastrous crops up in the near future!

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. Been there. Definitely a must to get the tetanus shot - an absolute must given the environment! Need to keep cool and not walk on it if you can.

I stepped on a nail once, and drove myself to the hospital. Thankfully it was not too deep and didn't get infected. My grandfather once had a heavy floor tile fall on his foot and burst open the pinky toe. Even while wearing a shoe that was not breached on impact, and taking plenty of antibiotics/daily cleanup with hospital grade disinfectant, he nearly lost the toe because the weather was warm and he needed to work. It was more than a month, probably 2 months, because the wound wouldn't heal.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #731 on: September 24, 2018, 06:23:55 pm »

That is very bad luck - I do hope it heals quickly with no complications.

Yours,
Miranda.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #732 on: September 25, 2018, 12:23:32 am »

Alas, wound care is something with which I am all too familiar! Foot up for a few days, & taking it easy, as per Dr's instructions, & will be back to normal by the end of the week.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #733 on: September 25, 2018, 07:44:01 pm »

Hope you're up and about again soon - and wearing a pair of steel soled boots  Wink

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #734 on: November 08, 2018, 12:53:23 am »

When will my boss learn one operator cant run two lines /and/ not make any mistakes?

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #735 on: November 08, 2018, 03:24:49 am »

Probably never, Caledonian!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #736 on: November 10, 2018, 06:52:09 pm »

Fourteen years I've worked in my present job and never once worked Christmas and New Year, in fact usually told not to and have to make up the hours later in the week, so we've planned a lovely Christmas to relax after a traumatic year with cancer scares, actual cancer (my husband), and various other stresses. Now I have been told by the support workers that the manager has told them that of course I will be working at Christmas as it's my normal rota day. Yes, I know my contract allows them to do this but when was she going to tell me the custom had changed this year? And how unprofessional to tell others before me and my fellow activity coordinator, who likewise has made plans for Boxing Day and New Years Day when she is rota'd to work. So I now have to go, cap in hand, and ask to have the day off; if she refuses then I either work (leaving my husband alone for 8 hours), refuse to work(a formal disciplinary matter), go sick (without a doctors sick note at Christmas this is also a formal disciplinary matter), or resign .... and believe me, if I didn't need the money ....... Right now I am SO very, very annoyed.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #737 on: November 26, 2018, 04:33:30 am »

Nothing specific, just a general "Gah" that is my life at the moment.

As you may or probably not have noticed, I have not been around here (or anywhere else for that matter) lately, and the reason is that I have been so busy dealing with new regulations for landlords, GDPR issues, and other such joyful distractions that I have simply not had any enthusiasm for life in general. My non work related online activities have consisted of watching long YouTube videos while eating Pot Noodles and allowing the brain to enter "screensaver mode". I couldn't even muster up much enthusiasm for this either as it was just something to numb the mind before I go bat-shit crazy. I just sit there, staring blankly at the screen while drooling slightly, and breathing just enough to keep my basic metabolic functions working.

Can't say I'm depressed, but I just have no motivation to do anything at the moment.  Sad

Oh, and Doctor Who is crap too, so I don't even have that. Don't care there is a female Doctor (it has always been on the cards since the original series), I don't even mind the choice of actress, though she has yet to give a performance that even remotely says "Doctor!". However I do care that the scripts are crap, and the political correctness is being spread so thick that they may as well have somebody on screen just screaming "MESSSSSSAAAGE!!!!!" every time they want to make a point and drive it home. Roll Eyes

*SIGHRoll Eyes

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #738 on: November 26, 2018, 07:59:49 am »

Origins of my GAH go back to early October, when I had a sub-acute infarct (small blood clot) in the right occipital region of the brain - only symptom, disruption of the visual signals from the brain back to the eye in the lower left quadrant of my left eye. Annoying more than anything, and scans indicating whole situation resolving itself nicely.

The GAH? - having the 'event' in the first place, and now having to take clot forming preventatives, and pills to lower my already normal blood pressure, etc., never having to endure prescription medications for anything other than the odd antibiotic, now have morning and evening pills for a while. The good news, or non-GAH is that eventually I will be off all of them, but in the meantime - pills! Drs have decided the 'event' is highly probably related to the couple of 'mild' traumatic head injuries I had some time ago in two MVAs. 'Mild' in the sense that not much blood was spilled, no skull fractures, and my brains weren't leaking out my ears!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #739 on: November 26, 2018, 10:31:10 am »

Model railway....relaxing hobby.....NOT!

Late yesterday evening I welded another 3m length of 5" gauge track.
Huge old welding set that may have been used on the ark.
Worked nicely since I got it.
Enough wire on the spool, gas bottle still half full, what could go wrong?
After some time it always switches off due to overheating. Normal procedure.
This only happens when you just have one final weld left...
I thought to myself, this time it will not switch off when there is just one weld left.
I was right. It switched off when there were two left.
gah
After 10 minuted it had cooled down and I wanted to do the final two welds.
Switched on....*BANG*...electrical smell....dead.
GAH!
After the usual curses I grabbed the old electrode welding set and finished the work.
Inspection of the set showed one relay having lost one contact and also one pin that should have been in the PCB.
The soldering point in the PCB has vanished and there are scorch marks around it.
I hope that replacing the relay will solve the problem as I expect the soldering joint to have deteriorated and caused arcing.
If Murphy is still in my workshop the relay might have died due to overload caused by another defect somewhere else.....

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #740 on: November 27, 2018, 11:36:06 am »

Finally out of hospital! Grin
A week ago last Thursday, after 3 weeks of last-minute cancellations by friends for a quiet evening in the pub I invoked the SodIt clause and went on my own. 10 minutes after sitting down, massive backache and tight chest. So much so that I had to come home which got harder with every step as I was having trouble breathing. It kept getting worse till I had to call 111 and they called an ambulance, thinking it was a heart attack. Ambulance arrived and took me to A&E where it was decided that it was my gallbladder, inflamed and trying to kill me. And that's how it felt - it was the worst pain I have ever felt, far worse than a slipped disk or broken bone.
I haven't taken any painkillers since the traumatic event where I discovered I am allergic to codeine, nearly 50 years ago, but this was a game-changer -  can't breathe, can't sit still, can't see properly, delirious... So they finally admitted me to hospital and gave me a morphine drip, which worked after half an hour or so. 5 hours after it started.
Apparently after 3 days a swollen gallbladder becomes much riskier to remove so I am booked for surgery 3 days later on the Sunday. Sunday afternoon comes round and I'm bumped off the list by an emergency patient. And sent home for a fortnight while the swelling increases and then decreases again, enough to operate.
Two days later another episode happens and I'm admitted to hospital again, given antibiotics and, after hours of agony, oral morphine. Which turns my stomach into an agonising brick but means they can't give me anything else on top. So much pain!!!
I'm kept in on massive doses of antibiotics till Monday to be readmitted for day surgery on Wednesday. Only about a week of waiting, dreading another attack. One day at a time...
Two days later they decide to send me home with the rest of the antibiotic treatment. A friend came to take me home. While waiting for the paperwork another episode happens. This time they treat it with Tramadol - same effect as the Oramorph. 7 hours of agony. Then the Tramadol finally kicks in and I spend the morning tripping my **** off in a gastro ward with repeated bowel flushing to the left of me and a motormouth Methadone addict to the right. That was an experience...
Two days later they decide to send me home.  A friend comes to take me and I'm all ready to go when the microbiologist points out that the antibiotics I need to take don't come in oral form so I have to stay!
Next day is Saturday so different consultant: "You can go home today."  Grin "Really?" "Um..., no." Angry
Next day is Sunday so different consultant: "You can go home today."  It turns out that consultants don't like it when you laugh explosively in their face.
Next day is Monday so back to original consultant: "You can't go home today."   Angry "Why?" "Oh, your course of antibiotics finishes today so yes, you can go home."  Grin Grin Grin
Lunchtime comes and with it my last dose of antibiotics. Afterwards I pack and head off. Just as I leave the ward the Staff Nurse stops me and says: "You know your operation on Wednesday?" "Yes." "It's not on Wednesday any more." "Then when is it?" "No idea, you'll get a letter. Bye."

GAAAAAHHHHHH

e.t.a. On my first admission I am put in a day ward so they have to find somewhere to put us all come evening. By this point I am getting worse reactions from the antibiotics with each dose - by the third one it feels like my arm is in an ant's nest. But there is no visible reaction so they don't believe me.
Anyway, they relocate me to a single room with ensuite bathroom.  Grin The very same room in Oncology where I was told I had incurable cancer 4 years ago  Shocked I crack and can't stop crying for half an hour.
When the nurse comes to give me my next dose of the antibiotics she looks at me and asks "What's happened to your face? Your eyes are all swollen! Is it a reaction to the antibiotics?" "um... yes, I suppose it could be." I reply. "Well we'd better get them changed for something else and I'll get that allergy added to your notes."
Silver linings...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:46:27 am by Sir Henry » Logged

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #741 on: November 27, 2018, 03:08:26 pm »

Oh, Sir Henry!
What a shocking experience - and you still have your dodgy gallbladder?
My two trips to A&E seems like heaven in comparison!
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #742 on: December 11, 2018, 03:45:45 am »

Something of a cross between a 'Gah' and 'WTF', only more expletive filled....

A very, VERY, VERY large tax bill. "Large" as-in "you can buy a decent house for this much". That kind of large. Roll Eyes

Now, If you'll excuse me, it's late at night - time to go sell my arse down at the docks to bed.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #743 on: December 11, 2018, 09:30:35 am »

Customers complaining and threatening because they did not receive certain items/documents.......which they never ordered.

Quotation states OPTIONAL SERVICE, they did not order it

Even showing them quotation and their order won´t make them listen.

"We have a deadline, we need the certificates, we need........"

IGOR! Release the Kraken!
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #744 on: December 12, 2018, 03:03:57 am »

Customers complaining and threatening because they did not receive certain items/documents.......which they never ordered.

Quotation states OPTIONAL SERVICE, they did not order it

Even showing them quotation and their order won´t make them listen.

"We have a deadline, we need the certificates, we need........"

IGOR! Release the Kraken!

If only we never had to deal with customers, running a small business would be a joy. Thankfully I am (sort-of) retired, so don't have to deal with the public any more.  Smiley
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #745 on: December 12, 2018, 09:40:54 am »

In Australia our banks have been found to be ignoring the wishes of the public a lot. Their huge profits showed that it worked well for them as a business, but was not really what people expect of a bank. Some people believe that the first rule is that the priority should always be the customer/client. The problem sometimes is when the shareholder is regarded as more important than the customer.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #746 on: December 12, 2018, 01:40:31 pm »

In Australia our banks have been found to be ignoring the wishes of the public a lot. Their huge profits showed that it worked well for them as a business, but was not really what people expect of a bank. Some people believe that the first rule is that the priority should always be the customer/client. The problem sometimes is when the shareholder is regarded as more important than the customer.
We have a public transport system like that. And public utilities. And infrastructure development...

Presumably it started in the Steam Era and drove the Industrial Revolution. It has become almost ubiquitous, so it obviously works really well.

For someone.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #747 on: December 12, 2018, 10:49:39 pm »

We have a public transport system like that. And public utilities. And infrastructure development...

Presumably it started in the Steam Era and drove the Industrial Revolution. It has become almost ubiquitous, so it obviously works really well.

For someone.
Likewise in the United States...

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #748 on: December 13, 2018, 12:12:30 am »

For someone.

Likewise in the United States...
In America we regularly sue banks for such behaviour. In particular for overcharge fees. Any punishment afforded by the courts will not teach them a lesson, and they just find a new loophole in the law. Almost everyone I know has at one time received a cheque in the mail for a few dollars (less than $3) as part of some "Class action lawsuit" involving misbehaviour from one bank or another toward thousands of customers.

Assuming you don't throw the cheque in the garbage bin by mistake, the bank will correct their behaviour for one or two years, then proceeed to do it all over again, with the belssing from the new government administration. About every 4 years, I'd say.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #749 on: December 13, 2018, 04:12:17 am »

The banking enquiry just winding up here is crucifying the four major banks - the fines for fiscal impropriety and illegal practices, and compensation to customers is going to be astronomical!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: