The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2019, 06:24:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 44812 times)
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #675 on: July 09, 2018, 09:17:31 pm »

I got kicked out of a community that I helped build.
Ouch! That hurts. Can you take the parts that you built and start a new community? One that treats its founding members with at least a bit of respect?

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #676 on: July 09, 2018, 11:21:30 pm »

Nope. And I wouldn't care to, either.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #677 on: July 12, 2018, 01:48:02 am »

Had to have my mother's cat "put to sleep" this morning. Thought she had been hit by a car, but vet says there was some sort of fluid filled growth inside her. Cat was in a really bad way, in pain and deep in shock. This was the last cat my mother had, and one which still had ties to my dad before he died 14 years ago (cat was 17). Was very sudden, cat was fine early this morning, then just found her in driveway lying on her side and meowing in pain. Within an hour of this we had to make a decision to run tests (and let the cat suffer longer) or to end her suffering quickly. The vet was careful not to lead us in either direction, but indicated just how bad the cat was. At least if an animal is old and ill, you are at least prepared for the worst, but this was out of the blue...

While the vet could not have been kinder or gentler, and the drug she used was super quick and painless with the cat simply drifting away silently, it was still not a pleasant thing to hold her while she died in my arms. I held her when she was born, and I held her when she died. Cry

Naturally my mother is upset, but now she is in an empty house alone. I live close but still several miles away. She doesn't want any more animals as she can't deal with their deaths anymore, so not sure how to solve this problem. Undecided

I buried the cat this evening in the garden, not far from her mother and two siblings. Placed an old victorian Belfast sink on top and planted some flowers in it. Might seem odd to some, but was very fitting for this particular cat.

'Gah' does not cover it...

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #678 on: July 12, 2018, 06:53:54 am »

I understand your feelings but this was the right thing to do.

Not letting the poor thing suffer and being with the cat until the last moment.
Anything else would have been cruel.

Had to do the same thing with a gerbil some years ago.
Same as your cat.
Fine in the morning, then suddenly...
The decision was quickly taken as the pain was obvious.

Take your time.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #679 on: July 12, 2018, 11:19:08 am »

Have been in this situation myself, Siliconous, heartfelt commiserations to yourself and your mum.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #680 on: July 12, 2018, 08:25:37 pm »

Manly hugs on offer.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #681 on: July 17, 2018, 02:35:12 am »

Woke up yesterday sick as a dog. Fever, coughing, runny nose, the whole nine yards. Today I finally managed to eat something. I still feel like a disaster today.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #682 on: July 22, 2018, 12:32:29 am »

Thanks to all RE: my last post. Have not had time to check back in here, been busy with landlord stuff.

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #683 on: August 01, 2018, 06:38:47 pm »

back "home" with 13$ in my bank account to last the 12 days until my next check deposit. Living in my car but not driving because I've gout 30 miles of gas left. My automatic toll pas charged me two days ago 30$ and five days later charges me 30$ again. so I have to straighten that out. Meanwhile my car sounds like a biplane in a steep dive at highway speeds. and my first day back my windsheild got a nice foot and a half long crack running horizontally right through the drivers side... and then the breaks start grinding.

Gaaahhhh!

Storage just called to tell me that I have 3 days to pay them or they are seizing all my stuff.

and now all the stores in the area are not carrying the food I know I can eat while traveling. It's hot, humid and raining.

I've got 38 and a half weeks worth of videos from around the country to edit and upload and the only place I currently have access to the internet has put a block on youtube.

edit: great great, had the car looked at. the brakes disintegrated on one side of the front and it's been grinding on the rotor. So I've got to put 500$ in to solve that now. and then likely 300$ to replace the windsheild and we still don't have any idea why it sounds like an outboard motor on dry land.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:57:47 pm by rovingjack » Logged

ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #684 on: August 20, 2018, 02:41:29 am »

This is something that made me go aaaaaaaaaahhh!!!!! My family and I had gone to Belize in the beginning of July, had a great trip and returned. Well a couple of weeks later I noticed a mosquito bite on my scalp. It didn't go away, and I had an allergic reaction that required a doctor's visit. I brought up the fact that we had been in Belize recently and my concerns about botfly infestation. They said no that couldn't be and I was sent home with antibiotics and steroids for the swelling. In my follow up visit, my primary care doctor diagnosed the now swollen area as a epithelial cyst. Now I had been doing some research on the topic of botfly larvae infestation and the symptoms. And tonight I managed to squeeze an eldritch horror from my scalp.... I screamed while I did it... Not the souvenir I wanted to bring back from the jungle.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #685 on: August 20, 2018, 09:09:47 am »

This is something that made me go aaaaaaaaaahhh!!!!! My family and I had gone to Belize in the beginning of July, had a great trip and returned. Well a couple of weeks later I noticed a mosquito bite on my scalp. It didn't go away, and I had an allergic reaction that required a doctor's visit. I brought up the fact that we had been in Belize recently and my concerns about botfly infestation. They said no that couldn't be and I was sent home with antibiotics and steroids for the swelling. In my follow up visit, my primary care doctor diagnosed the now swollen area as a epithelial cyst. Now I had been doing some research on the topic of botfly larvae infestation and the symptoms. And tonight I managed to squeeze an eldritch horror from my scalp.... I screamed while I did it... Not the souvenir I wanted to bring back from the jungle.

A Belizian Brain-sucking-worm.
Cool!
I hope you preserved it in a test-tube of formaldehyde as a holiday souvenir / neat accessory.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #686 on: August 20, 2018, 12:29:44 pm »

A Belizian Brain-sucking-worm.
Cool!
I hope you preserved it in a test-tube of formaldehyde as a holiday souvenir / neat accessory.

No I didn't keep it... I wanted to kill it with fire, but decided to flush it instead. I didn't want to look at it anymore.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #687 on: August 20, 2018, 12:47:25 pm »

Pity, it would have looked perfect in one of these....

https://pin.it/yzrhpb4gyrbosc
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #688 on: August 24, 2018, 06:56:43 am »

Pity, it would have looked perfect in one of these....

https://pin.it/yzrhpb4gyrbosc

I need something like that flask holster to hold my harmonicas on top of my flute scabbard! Thanks for the idea!

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #689 on: August 25, 2018, 09:34:55 am »

Couldnt go to the asylum...and couldn't go to DESC either
Now I'm sad
It turned out that while the dutch european steampunk convention is in the Netherlands, it was 6 hours by train (for the record, lincoln is 7 hours by train from here)

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #690 on: August 26, 2018, 01:20:52 pm »

for the record, lincoln is 7 hours by train from here

Unless there are leaves on the track, in which case you might never arrive!

(While immediately understood by all British Brass Gogglers, I imagine this comment may well be a little puzzling to everyone else - just let me say that British Rail, in any of its regional incarnations, has many ingenious reasons why your train is not running …)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #691 on: August 26, 2018, 01:31:26 pm »

for the record, lincoln is 7 hours by train from here

Unless there are leaves on the track, in which case you might never arrive!

(While immediately understood by all British Brass Gogglers, I imagine this comment may well be a little puzzling to everyone else - just let me say that British Rail, in any of its regional incarnations, has many ingenious reasons why your train is not running …)

no dutch trains don't go when there is leaves on the track either  Cheesy
or when it snows
or when it's very windy
or when it's very hot
or when....

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #692 on: August 26, 2018, 02:50:16 pm »

Aussie trains have been known to stop due to the buckling of the rails in the heat.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #693 on: August 26, 2018, 04:10:09 pm »

Aussie trains have been known to stop due to the buckling of the rails in the heat.

Or when the tracks are washed away by floods (including cyclones), or when torrential rain floods the Sydney network tracks to the tops of the platform, or when the rails are buckled by the occasional earthquake, or sleepers (when timber) are burning in a bushfire!

The 7.2 earthquake occurred in an area so sparsely populated no one realised it had happened until a train tried to run on tracks shifted nearly two metres sideways! The flooded platforms occurred in Sydney in 2015 - the cousin who met me at the airport to see me off took nearly five hours to get home because it wasn't safe to run the trains!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #694 on: August 27, 2018, 08:05:31 pm »

German Intercity express.

Stops in summer due to overheating air conditioning apparatus and in winter due to a few snowflakes in the machine.
Acronym for Intercity Express.....ICE!

Want the steamers back.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #695 on: August 27, 2018, 09:12:10 pm »

The last time my train was cancelled was because of 'overhead line issues'.  Now, my local railway line is, I will grant you, in the process of being electrified (in a geeky way, it is rather interesting to watch the wires going up).  But it doesn't bode well when the work isn't even finished and it is already causing problems!  For the record, the issue that day was that one of the 'bits they hang the wire off' had come loose from a gantry and was swinging in the wind, low enough to sideswipe trains as they (didn't) run past. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #696 on: August 27, 2018, 09:19:13 pm »

Or when the tracks are washed away by floods (including cyclones), or when torrential rain floods the Sydney network tracks to the tops of the platform, or when the rails are buckled by the occasional earthquake, or sleepers (when timber) are burning in a bushfire!

That reminds me of a joke repeated on the BBC programme 'Great Railway Journeys of the World' (made in the early 1980s but last time I checked available for viewing on the marvel that is Youtube).  The presenter was on one of the last runs of the narrow gauge Ghan Express to Alice Springs (the line was closed down and replaced with a modern route in the early 1980s), and he was explaining why the work was necessary.  (For those interested, basically the line was built quickly and cheaply more or less right on the ground.... so come the rainy season it kept getting washed away.) 

Anyway, yes, the joke.  You can imagine the line constantly getting wrecked meant that timetables had to be taken with a liberal (possibly fatal) dose of salt. 

Anyway, yes, the joke.  Heavily pregnant woman on the Ghan Express asks the conductor when the train will reach Alice Springs as she is in an obviously delicate condition.  Conductor says, "Madam, being in that condition you should have known better than to be travelling."  To which the lady replies, "Sir, when I boarded this train I wasn't in this condition!" 
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #697 on: August 27, 2018, 10:22:32 pm »

Today I had to fix a blocked drain. This was a MEGA-CLOG   Roll Eyes

Naturally I spent the entire day "fishing for brown trout" because the clog was located in an already heavily silted and part clogged drainage system. Everytime I got it to move, yet another section of drain would clog.  In the end I was rodding each drain section with over 60ft of rods while continuously dumping 200 litre bins full of water down each manhole in turn.

Six hours later...

I managed to send ALL of the buildup out of my section of property and well into the neighbouring drains. It's not as bad as it sounds, it's a block of 20 privately owned flats, and as such they will get the drains cleaned for free by the water company as they are on a shared sewage system.

Been washed four times, and spent 30 mins in the shower as I was covered in sh*t. And I can STILL smell raw sewage.  Lips sealed
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #698 on: August 28, 2018, 12:53:37 am »

Once they decided they needed a proper rail bed, not timber sleepers laid on sand - the timber sleepers, apart from being washed away or burnt, were also being eaten by termites (white ants) - said sleepers were replaced by concrete ones.

Siliconous, a little lavender oil dabbed under the nose will help alleviate the pong! What a fun day you had! Grin
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 12:55:59 am by Banfili » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #699 on: August 28, 2018, 05:19:39 pm »

Had another "fun" day at another of my properties, again a clogged drain, though in this case only a kitchen sink waste pipe. However it runs under the floor for it's entire length (9 meters), save for one access point two thirds of the way down, into which the utility room washing machine empties.

Started at 10Am and finished at 3PM.

While the clog in the drain was a pain to clear, the longest fix was due to the fact the tenant had completely disassembled the entire U bend / 'sink trap' and had even managed to remove the plughole and drain attachment from the sink basin. And ALL the rubber seals were damaged, so I couldn't just screw it back together again.  Why is it that people *KNOW* they don't understand how to do something, yet proceed to blindly rip apart anything they can anyway?...  Roll Eyes

Once the sink was reassembled, I used a DIY device of my own design to apply large volumes of water or air pressure / suction. Think "gigantic bicycle pump"...  Blockage was cleared quickly, but still took time to remove all of the fatty build-up from the interior of the waste pipe (to prevent further blockages).

Sink all fixed and blockage sorted. Have left a note to the tenant explaining that this particular sink will be slower that most due to the long run of near level waste pipe under the floor, and to try to avoid food waste going down as this will increase the likelihood of a blockage.

No more drains, PLEASE.... Sad
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: