The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2019, 06:27:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 44813 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #650 on: May 11, 2018, 11:36:06 pm »

People who post on other MBs, and for some reason they can't be bothered to make paragraphs. So all you see is a bloody wall of text.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #651 on: May 12, 2018, 08:21:49 am »

People who post on other MBs, and for some reason they can't be bothered to make paragraphs. So all you see is a bloody wall of text.

Ahh, the wall of text! I remember an English teacher who made us read a novel that had no punctuation at all. None. Totally pointless. Never had a clue what was going on.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #652 on: May 13, 2018, 12:31:47 am »

No capitalisation in a wall of text is also hard to read, made worse by random, sporadic capitalisation!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #653 on: May 13, 2018, 12:52:45 am »

What about people who capitalise every word in a sentence, and paragraph? Why is capitalisation so hard to understand for some people?

Here's a clue:

Only capitalise at the beginning of a sentence.

Dont' Capitalise Every Single Word You Are Writing In The Sentence.

Unless it's the title of a book, or the title of an essay or paragraph, like in the title "Of Mice and Men"

Then it's OK to capitalise, but even then you'll notice I didn't capitalise every single word. Very short, relatively unimportant words used to connect other words like for example the words "and," "by," and "of" are usually not capitalised, unless they are at the beginning of the title, like the word "Of" in "Of Mice and Men."

So the correct capitalisation for that book's title on the cover is as follows:

Of Mice and Men
by
John Steinbeck

And the title of a 1955 movie starring James Dean is capitalised as follows:

Rebel Without a Cause
Starring
James Dean

The capital letter is used to emphasize some words over others. But this is only done in titles, not in regular paragraphs, and the capital letters say nothing about how you read those words aloud (I think some people get confused by this). Capital letters indicate nothing about how you speak a word.

The capital letter is not meant to be used as an áccent to emphasize the pronunciation of a particular syllable in the word. For example you always say áccent, but never accént, because that would sound weird right? The accent mark is meant to indicate which syllable you want to emphasize when you speak. There's only one problem. The English language does not have that mark. An English speaker has to remember by memory or know beforehand which syllable is emphasized in a word. And capital letters were never meant to be a substitute for those accent marks.

Spanish has one accent mark and only one áccent mark written over a vowel to emphasize the pronunciation of the vowel or syllable where it is located, should the word require it (not all Spanish words are accented, though, there is an inconsistency that way), and French has 5 types of accents, but the written English language lacks any accent punctuations in general.

Lastly, all proper names should be capitalised. At all times, anywhere, in any situation. John Steinbeck is never written in all lowercase letters as in "john steinbeck," nor in mixed capital and lowercase letters such as "john Steinbeck."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 01:51:21 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #654 on: May 13, 2018, 11:45:36 am »

Maybe they're just Shouting the first part of every word and speaking the rest?

Although, if people's poor grammar upsets you, all I can do as a comfort is pat you tenderly on the shoulder and speak soothingly;
 " There, Their, They're...."    Wink

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #655 on: May 13, 2018, 05:09:32 pm »

Maybe they're just Shouting the first part of every word and speaking the rest?

Then I'd hate having to hear them speak. Imagine if we all talked like that!
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #656 on: May 16, 2018, 11:06:16 am »

Finished uni officially and whilst I'm largely over it, I now seem to have misplaced a large part of my identity. I knew it'd be weird finishing school (been at this further education thing for like 10 years) but at no point did I think it would be *this* weird!

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #657 on: May 16, 2018, 01:27:05 pm »

Lady Ava, I started in 1980, and am still at it - it gets addictive!

Congratulations on your success, and much more to come.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:56:53 am by Banfili » Logged
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #658 on: May 17, 2018, 01:28:50 pm »

Congratulations Lady Ava. I hope it opens doors for you and gives you confidence to step into new areas. Just remember, even the experts are always learning. It never stops.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #659 on: June 04, 2018, 09:10:17 pm »

So my Gah for today is that I was assaulted by a homeless person this last Friday. The idiot was high on something and he kept insisting I had taken his backpack. Having to fend off the vagrant, I discovered that an umbrella makes for a very poor weapon against someone capable of throwing flying kicks.

The umbrella basically lasted 6 seconds. I came very close to using my folding knife - as that was my last resort, but the problem is that I would have to do hand to hand combat with someone who is much taller than me. I opted for a quick getaway after shoving the umbrella on his face.

Having escaped with all my posessions intact save for the umbrella and with just a bump on the head, I'm now having to change my route to avoid the little gang of homeless people that have assembled in that particular area.

I *will* be getting an extra large size pepper spray gun and a larger weapon capable of killing someone - I won't comment on what other weapon I plan to purchase. You can PM me if you want to know*.

* It goes very well with my Steampunk uniform  Grin
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:16:15 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #660 on: June 05, 2018, 02:38:19 am »

It's an Octo-whatevertheirbloodynameissusposedtobe willy filled with lead shot?
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #661 on: June 05, 2018, 07:11:47 am »

Flying kick?
If you can grab his foot/leg, give a good kick to the side of the other knee.
He will not follow you after that......

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #662 on: June 05, 2018, 10:22:06 pm »

Flying kick?

Yeah. So many things I could have done better....

A lot simpler than that, actually  Grin
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #663 on: June 05, 2018, 10:28:47 pm »

Flying kick?

A lot simpler than that, actually  Grin

Not a single shot kinetic Kraken? Bloody 'ell, they were banned years ago.  Shocked
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #664 on: June 05, 2018, 10:34:54 pm »

Flying kick?

Not a single shot kinetic Kraken? Bloody 'ell, they were banned years ago.  Shocked
Well if these guard Kraken we're taking about you can always get a German Shepherd Kraken
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 10:36:44 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #665 on: June 06, 2018, 07:22:45 am »

Flying kick?

Not a single shot kinetic Kraken? Bloody 'ell, they were banned years ago.  Shocked
Well if these guard Kraken we're taking about you can always get a German Shepherd Kraken

How about a striped skunk? These critters are quite intelligent and a well-trained specimen with a good aim might solve some problems.....

Fun fact (taken from Wiki):
The Cree and Ojibwe word shee-gawk is the root word for Chicago, which means 'skunk-land'.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #666 on: June 06, 2018, 07:42:34 am »

Flying kick?

How about a striped skunk? These critters are quite intelligent and a well-trained specimen with a good aim might solve some problems.....

Fun fact (taken from Wiki):
The Cree and Ojibwe word shee-gawk is the root word for Chicago, which means 'skunk-land'.

Don't tell that to my roommate. He's from Chicago and a fanatic of everything Chicago.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #667 on: June 09, 2018, 03:59:14 pm »

And my spare time is pretty much knackered..........

I player is showing 146 episodes of Doctor Who available, S1-S10.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The only saving grace is I refuse to watch anything with Donna, my giddy gad, did that character/ actress grate on every molecule in my body.

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #668 on: June 12, 2018, 09:33:40 pm »

So my fully stocked fridge freezer decided to 'shit the bed' at some point in the last 72 hours.  Roll Eyes

I have had to throw a lot of food out today as it had gone off or defrosted / melted, and I've had to cook and eat most of the rest. A few larger items low down in the freezer were still frozen solid, so I was able to save those by storing them in the freezer at my mother's house.

On top of this, one of my tenants is leaving, so I will be short on income for at least two months while I clean and prepare the property to go back on the rental market, and I will also have to pay the bills in that time (mainly the Council tax that stings here). So yeah, a great time to be looking for a new large fridge freezer...

"Gah" does not cover it...  Sad

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #669 on: June 17, 2018, 11:17:04 am »

The only saving grace is I refuse to watch anything with Donna, my giddy gad, did that character/ actress grate on every molecule in my body.

Donna never bovvered me. You obviously haven't ever seen Perpugilliam Brown. She is an annoying companion.

Sorontar
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:22:30 am by Sorontar » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #670 on: June 17, 2018, 01:32:26 pm »

Donna never bovvered me. You obviously haven't ever seen Perpugilliam Brown. She is an annoying companion.

Sorontar

OOh you are going back some time there, yeah, I kinda agree on that. as for Peter Davison and  Colin Baker as Doctors, I refuse to comment, best leave it alone methinks. Wink
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #671 on: June 18, 2018, 02:04:52 am »

OOh you are going back some time there, yeah, I kinda agree on that. as for Peter Davison and  Colin Baker as Doctors, I refuse to comment, best leave it alone methinks. Wink

Time is relative Smiley

Colin Baker was better with his original role as the Commander Maxil on Gallifrey. His technicolour costume annoyed me, because it looked too made up rather than being standard mishmash anachronistic costume the Doctor tended to wear. Celery pinned on a plain white cricket jumper I can handle.
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #672 on: June 18, 2018, 10:02:56 pm »

Mortgages, work contracts, interviews, commission work, depression, weight loss/gain, having no money right now.

Pick one, it's probably making me GAH. (and also maybe swear a lot too)
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #673 on: July 09, 2018, 05:20:28 pm »

I got kicked out of a community that I helped build.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #674 on: July 09, 2018, 06:42:56 pm »

Got back from vacation yesterday, and found that my husband's PC is not working properly. Somehow I'm the IT person  because I have more patience than him....

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: