The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 11, 2019, 09:40:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 45712 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #350 on: February 05, 2017, 01:37:12 pm »

Not happy with the federal govt department that handles pensions. Did the right thing, declared income, spent income, notified change in income to said department. Received letter 9 days ago saying 'tell us what you spent the money on by the end of Feb, or your could lose your pension'!

Not happy, not happy at all!
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #351 on: February 05, 2017, 03:23:14 pm »

Not happy with the federal govt department that handles pensions. Did the right thing, declared income, spent income, notified change in income to said department. Received letter 9 days ago saying 'tell us what you spent the money on by the end of Feb, or your could lose your pension'!

Not happy, not happy at all!
blood would be up and in one phone call would in no polite terms tell them to mind thier own business and go f.......... well, you can imagine the rest. What the hell have they got the right to ask what you spend your entitled money on? Tell 'em whores, drugs and rent boys. Reciepts may be a problem on that.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 03:26:36 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #352 on: February 05, 2017, 09:25:30 pm »

Being of the straight female persuasion, no whores, no drugs, but ... would they consider my forty-plus years younger a nephew a rent boy - No!? Grin
Took him to Ireland with me on my trip last year - money well spent, I think. Think the main problem was I didn't update in between big expenditures, so it looked as if it came out of the bank in one whack - still, it's no business of theirs what the bloody hell I spend my money on - next thing they will be wanting to know what I spend my disability pension on too!
I will comply, but only in general terms, and indicate my general unhappiness with the situation. Blood is definitely up!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #353 on: February 07, 2017, 07:57:17 am »

Banfili I worry about having a similar problem in the near future as I have to file paperwork for a part time job I had in november and december and also have to go through redeterminations for another set of things and it took me until about a month ago to get the paperwork from the employer and since the redetermination filing would happen this month and require refiling anyway I decided to try and do all the paperwork just the once. I hope I didn't create more problems for myself.

In other Gah! news my car wouldn't start last week before my appointment for counciling to manage my panic attacks. It took me a few hours to settle down and take my voltmeter out and test my battery, which was throwin a 12.04 and under 11.5 when trying to start. which suggested to me it was the battery not the starter. Got a jump the next day, drove it to the garage who took the battery out and replaced it... because the battery was original to the car, which is a 2009 that I purchased on halloween night 2016. So the dealership sold it to me with an 8 year old battery and when I brought it in to them under warrentee to check why it was making grinding noises on cold starts they said the start was working fine.

New battery cost me $160. Parked in the driveway, and have been home trying to manage health symptoms. Took the trash out and figured I should start the car after 4 days of winter weather so that I know if it will start tomorrow. It started with a loud grinding noise. sigh, I'll keep an eye on it, but I think this is the starter beginning to go. they cost about $500 to rebuild and $600-700 to replace.

Meanwhile in other Gah! news... Either the nervous system symptom I've been having are also accompanied by damage to memory centers, or one of my housemates is eating my food on the sly. I planned it all out, I had just enough to make it through today, and tomorrow I'm doing an errand day. So today I had breakfast, after breakfast snack, I have plenty of meals materials, but I had on portioned snack left for after lunch and then after dinner I have plenty of snack that I can prepare. But I know I had two prepared portioned snack as of this afternoon. and yet when I went and looked during lunch, it was gone. The bag, the snack, etc. The bag wasn't in the trash, it's not in my bedroom, it's not at my work station where I've been all day since getting up. It's just gone.

I suspect foul play. And in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal to lose a snack. But the possibility that I ate it and don't remember, or that somebody is eating my food, both do not appeal to me. Though I'll take food swiping over neurodegenerative dementia.

oh and my only classes I'm failing because the system refuses to acknowledge the submitting of the work. which pissed me off to no end last night until I worked around to the fact that I'm not paying for these classes, and I took them to learn not to get grades. I can learn just fine even if the assignments don't register.

all around a crappy series of BS events for the Gahing about. Having done so it is now time to move on and get on with life as it is.

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #354 on: February 07, 2017, 08:33:32 am »

Meanwhile in other Gah! news... Either the nervous system symptom I've been having are also accompanied by damage to memory centers, or one of my housemates is eating my food on the sly. I planned it all out, I had just enough to make it through today, and tomorrow I'm doing an errand day. So today I had breakfast, after breakfast snack, I have plenty of meals materials, but I had on portioned snack left for after lunch and then after dinner I have plenty of snack that I can prepare. But I know I had two prepared portioned snack as of this afternoon. and yet when I went and looked during lunch, it was gone. The bag, the snack, etc. The bag wasn't in the trash, it's not in my bedroom, it's not at my work station where I've been all day since getting up. It's just gone.
Solution: remake snack with added naga chilli.  Shocked Kiss

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #355 on: February 07, 2017, 10:36:06 am »

R.i.p. my trusty hat and goggles. I hope tge bastard that stole you from the bus treats you well..

I forgott my hat and goggles in the bus, but i noticed as soon as the bus drove off so i called the busline to please keep an eye out. They would call if they found it...but i haven't heard anything. Whi the hell steals a red bowler hat?

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #356 on: February 07, 2017, 10:47:42 am »

Solution: remake snack with added naga chilli.  Shocked Kiss

I suppose that would also tell me if I've gone crazy and had a blackout episode of eating snack and then not remembered afterwards. I would not need to remember to know where the snack is. lol.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #357 on: February 08, 2017, 01:04:51 pm »

Had an annoying exchange with my sister who literally said I looked like a homeless person and that she was ashamed to be seen with me just because I didn't show up in a waistcoat and a tie to pick up a bag of potatoes. -.-; I was decently dressed, and my clothes were tidy and clean. But apparently that's not good enough. -.-;

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #358 on: February 08, 2017, 01:17:02 pm »

Had an annoying exchange with my sister who literally said I looked like a homeless person and that she was ashamed to be seen with me just because I didn't show up in a waistcoat and a tie to pick up a bag of potatoes. -.-; I was decently dressed, and my clothes were tidy and clean. But apparently that's not good enough. -.-;

The older sister? Probably all older sisters are the same.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #359 on: February 08, 2017, 07:36:04 pm »

R.i.p. my trusty hat and goggles. I hope tge bastard that stole you from the bus treats you well..

I forgott my hat and goggles in the bus, but i noticed as soon as the bus drove off so i called the busline to please keep an eye out. They would call if they found it...but i haven't heard anything. Whi the hell steals a red bowler hat?

Called the lost and found on the station. They do not have my hat either
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #360 on: February 10, 2017, 03:16:00 am »

It's always disappointing when people don't respect others' property. Then again, think of all the times the opposite was true. I've lost a laptop and a wallet, and got them back in two separate situations decades apart. Smaller things like a calculator and my knife a couple of weeks ago tend to not be recovered.

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #361 on: February 10, 2017, 11:59:34 am »

Sometimes people are also discouraged from handing things in.
During my time as a student I found a Nokia mobile phone at the station.
It was the latest model and quite expensive at that time. Took it to the lost& found, disturbed the staff who were having their coffee.
I also left my contact details just in case the owner turns up.
Nothing happened.
Some time later I passed that station again.
I went to lost&found and was told that the phone had been claimed by the owner about a day or two later.
Nothing.
I did not expect much of a reward but this expensive phone was not even worth a phone call or SMS sying thank you.....

Some people spoil things for all the others.

Being the stubborn kind I still hand in stuff I find.

My wife lost her purse a few years ago. A pupil had found it on the bus and handed it in to lost&found.
The staff there was not too helpful and quite reluctant to disclose the finders identity.
We finally managed to give him 50€ as a reward.

What was in the purse (cards, cash, other stuff) would have been way more expensive to replace.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #362 on: February 11, 2017, 02:12:46 am »

I always hand in stuff I come across at either Lost & Found or the local police station. I'll never understand people who don't.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #363 on: February 16, 2017, 08:21:01 am »

GAH! Molar split right down in half. Almost a repeat of the last time, except this was one of the first molars. I will smile with a gap between my teeth, as soon as I have this molar removed (which will probably be very soon). Molar or not I will still ask my Fraulein out for a date. BAH! What timing!!  Angry
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #364 on: February 18, 2017, 05:45:52 pm »

I like to make my goggles from Sun Covers Fits Over sunglasses, because they, well, fit over my eyeglasses. I had a pair done up that way (leather eyecup shrouds, bits of brass to attach things to, a homemade strap with clips and rings, etc.) a few years ago that I took off and laid on a (nonworking) radiator in the hall where I was jamming with several others at a music festival. Went back an hour later realizing I'd left them there, and they were gone. Never recovered them, never heard of anybody else wearing them. Checked the lost and found, all that; Nada.

We ourselves might not think that what we've made is all that spectacular, but to people who encounter them at random, sitting untended in an easily-grabbed state, especially by those individuals with "sticky fingers," shall we say, even the most amateurish goggles or other paraphernalia apparently seem like crown-jewel baubles...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:49:48 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #365 on: February 20, 2017, 07:45:43 am »

Gah! Two Tornado Warnings (likely inminent events) on the edge of Austin at the moment. Thankfully likely to touch down north and east of the city... And thankfully no touch down of tornadoes yet and rotation cells moving out of the county quick. Rotating cells moving very fast with circulation centre moving away at 50-70 miles per hour! Meteorologists are stunned at speed of winds. Mesocyclone (circulation on atmosphere as high as 35000 ft.  : o severe thunderstorms following and large hail!
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #366 on: February 24, 2017, 07:33:12 am »

My "employment search" (Ubuntu) computer blew its hard drive on Sunday. After I've fscked* with it for three days, it's looking unrecoverable, and I have no backup. (I should bloody-well know better, too!)

*fsck = "file system check." What did you think it meant?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #367 on: February 24, 2017, 07:47:01 am »

My "employment search" (Ubuntu) computer blew its hard drive on Sunday. After I've fscked* with it for three days, it's looking unrecoverable, and I have no backup. (I should bloody-well know better, too!)

Well man,  nowadays nothing surprises me.  Roll Eyes

Besides Ubu is always better as a fresh install. It's so easy to just use a different partition for data and just do an install from scratch. The packages are always evolving and apps come and go. I've decided not to upgrade 14 LTS and just install 16 LTS plus packages to match from my memory, and simply restore backup from an uncompressed copy of my data on an NTFS partition  Grin
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #368 on: February 24, 2017, 09:19:21 am »

Well man,  nowadays nothing surprises me.  Roll Eyes

Besides Ubu is always better as a fresh install. It's so easy to just use a different partition for data and just do an install from scratch. The packages are always evolving and apps come and go. I've decided not to upgrade 14 LTS and just install 16 LTS plus packages to match from my memory, and simply restore backup from an uncompressed copy of my data on an NTFS partition  Grin

I did have the HD sliced up, but this is smelling like a hardware failure - I've booted from DVD but can't mount any of the HD partitions. I am trying something different right now (unplug HD, boot from DVD, reconnect HD) but I'm not hopeful.

Most of what's gone is clutter, but I have lost two resumes, several cover letters, a small PHP project and a boatload of web bookmarks.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #369 on: February 24, 2017, 10:26:23 am »

Does getting turned down by the object of your affection and getting scolded for working overtime when you're covering for a missing employee - in the same day - count as a GAH?

YES. YES IT DOES.

MOTHER F&^%$*G GAAAAH!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #370 on: February 24, 2017, 11:07:55 am »

Oh no!
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #371 on: February 24, 2017, 02:21:32 pm »

Never underestimate the value of obstinacy.

I just spent the entire night fscking with my failed HD (a Seagate USB external.) I've now successfully fscked every partition twice, After a reboot the fscked drive mounted itself and everything seems to be where I left it.

Next steps: attempt to boot from the external, shop for a replacement spindle, read up on Bacula, get some sleep, and commiserate  with JW (not necessarily in that order.)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #372 on: February 25, 2017, 12:57:50 am »

von Corax, backing it up now that you have it back might be a plan, too!
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #373 on: February 25, 2017, 02:56:04 am »

von Corax, backing it up now that you have it back might be a plan, too!

That's what Bacula is for. (I swear it was next on my todo list. Really!)
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #374 on: February 25, 2017, 04:59:19 pm »

So my Nieces have decided to buy my 80 year old Mum an Ipad.

Guess who has the task of teaching her how to use the thing? Yup, Lil' ol' me.

She hasn't even seen a keyboard, let alone a touchpad, and this Apple shyte is a whole new experience for me. Interesting times ahead.

Gaaahhhh!...........

Copy and paste, editing text?Huh?  Why do they make it so awkward!!!!! JESUS!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:04:03 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: