The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 16, 2019, 10:38:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 46064 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #325 on: January 21, 2017, 10:54:44 am »

We at our house give gifts on the Special day(s) of the year, but we also give wherewithal to be spent on other things things later in the year, when we are less susceptible to calendar-induced buyer's frenzy, and when it will be less likely that the salespeople will be denied a vacation or a good day because we happened to drop in. We each give things the others need (despite my complaints to the contrary on FB and elsewhere, I actually do need pants, underwear, shirts, socks, dishes, etc, more urgently than a new concertina, for which the money gifts over several years and and events can be saved up).

That saves us from the hubbub of returning items the week after, and me personally the somewhat dangerous job of being Mom and Dad's chauffeur/bodyguard during such holiday excursions; I fear I'm not nearly as formidable as is necessary in either capacity, even if I should decide to carry one of my nunchaku (which in itself would present a whole other can of troublesome worms should I use it to defend them; it's never as simple as in martial arts movies! Wink. A pistol even more so).

Don't forget a fresh shirt tie and suit in the trunk (UK: boot of a car)... if you're going to play "The Transporter," then you need to have a clean extra suit, just in case you have to engage in a high speed chase, or combat ninja attackers.

Soprry, just now saw this. (been kind of hectic/medicated around here what with driving folks, and then being an oral surgery patient myself (had post for implant to replace # 31 in lower right jaw put in).

I'd put the fresh shirt, et al in the trunk, but I have to haul groceries in that space (and we consume a LOT of groceries, it's actually rather shocking how much). Thankfully, the ninjas tend to stay on the other side of town these days. I hope.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #326 on: January 21, 2017, 06:29:33 pm »

Broke a tooth.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #327 on: January 21, 2017, 08:46:13 pm »

Guinea pig my women.

A week ago the doctor had opened the abscess. 5 days wore on lavage and injections.

Then I went to a counselor, doctor on rodents. We thought That we were going to learn from what took abscess.
And he told us that Guinea pigs rotted Pacelli. And it should be put down because the necessary procedures and still most likely will not last long. It was a horror.

But then I thought, and sent him for a CT scan. The scan showed that's not so bad. Now we master the skills of nurses. Wash the abscess and given antibiotics.

Two weekends for Guinea pigs. Nerves, time, money. One CT scan, it was possible to buy a new pig.

But do not throw their Russian.

P.S. And broke my monito. Worked for 10 years. Yet, for a computer connected to the TV. And working with a laptop, from TV eyes unpleasant. The room is a mess because of all this movement.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:59:32 pm by morozow » Logged

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #328 on: January 23, 2017, 03:01:57 am »

Not new. Not really surprising. And not serious. But according to the BBC, Researchers have found that toast, chips (U.S. "fries"), crisps (U.S. "Chips), and Biscuits (U.S. "cookies"), are substatial sources of a chemical which greatly increases the risk of cancer in lab animals... Hence humans are at risk too.

We really can't have any indulgence, can we? I guess the American breakfast potato cakes "hash browns" are completely out of the menu, eh?

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #329 on: January 23, 2017, 09:40:13 am »

We really can't have any indulgence, can we? I guess the American breakfast potato cakes "hash browns" are completely out of the menu, eh?
As long as they are 'Hash Goldens' they should be OK. 'Hash Burnt To A Crisps' ('Hash Burnt To A Chips' in the US  Tongue ), however, are definitely off the menu.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #330 on: January 23, 2017, 03:19:21 pm »

Don't burn your toast, either - apparently a sunset golden brown is not too bad, it's only when heavily carbonised that the carcenogenic load increases - so we are told! Grin

We are also told that a little carbon is good for the digestion, so, meh!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #331 on: January 23, 2017, 04:32:18 pm »

Death Certificate.
Cause Of Death.
Burnt Toast and/or Breathing To Much.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #332 on: January 23, 2017, 06:58:11 pm »

Urgh. I hate these stories, pretty much EVERYTHING is carcinogenic/ capable of killing you in some way shape or form (even your own body).

IMHO the trick is to die of old age before anything else has the chance to kill you.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #333 on: January 23, 2017, 08:34:05 pm »

Urgh. I hate these stories, pretty much EVERYTHING is carcinogenic/ capable of killing you in some way shape or form (even your own body).

IMHO the trick is to die of old age before anything else has the chance to kill you.

A pound of truth in that last statement. We, humanity extended our lifespan slowly, but then had to deal with a whole new universe of ailments.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #334 on: January 23, 2017, 08:52:54 pm »

Gorram Gmail spam filter tossed an e-mail which was an invitation to a job interview into a spam folder. GRRRRR

I wrote a brief e-mail explaining the situation and asking if I could be given another chance. I really hope I am.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #335 on: January 23, 2017, 08:53:49 pm »

Considering how our beloved bacon is already being fingered as a suspected human carcinogen, I had better not mention to them just how crispy well done I like my bacon cooked then..... Roll Eyes

(answer = f***ed / part cremated)

Also, best bacon sandwich is one in toasted bread (or better fried bread!) - so yeah....  Undecided

However there is good news, humans have evolved over time to resist the damage caused by Acrylamide and Heterocyclic amines that are found mildly cooked or burnt food. Typically these only occur during high temperature cooking, and are caused by the chemical reactions of amino acids, sugars, and creatine (found in muscle tissues) at high temperatures. Humans have evolved with fire, and as a result we can handle far higher doses of these chemicals than other animals, including other primates.

Wana live healthy? - then it's a raw meat and bread (with crusts cut off) diet for you!   Cheesy

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #336 on: January 23, 2017, 10:30:31 pm »

Siliconous, I like crispy bacon - but before it get to the cremated stage - something about soft bacon that just isn't right!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #337 on: January 24, 2017, 06:58:14 am »

Wana live healthy? - then it's a raw meat and bread (with crusts cut off) diet for you!   Cheesy

Ah yes! The Tartar Diet.  Grin
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #338 on: January 24, 2017, 09:36:39 am »

Ah yes! The Tartar Diet.  Grin
Raw beef, onions and capers - The Tartare Diet

or

Raw prime steak and wholemeal focaccia, gently warmed on a Hadron Collider - The Cream of Tartar Diet Grin
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:04:49 pm by Sir Henry » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #339 on: January 24, 2017, 09:48:47 am »

Siliconous, I like crispy bacon - but before it get to the cremated stage - something about soft bacon that just isn't right!

I assure You, a well-salted soft fat, that's right.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:52:33 pm by morozow » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #340 on: January 24, 2017, 09:29:03 pm »

I like to live dangerously, so I like what my husband refers to as 'shrapnel bacon' - done so crisp that it explodes into shards when you touch it with a fork ...
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #341 on: January 24, 2017, 11:50:32 pm »

Had my flu jab yesterday.  Choking on mucus today.  So oversensitive I can't even brush my teeth without a coughing fit.  Exhausted but lying down is not restful when you cough  whatever your position.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #342 on: January 25, 2017, 04:40:44 pm »

The company whose e-mail Gmail decided to stick into Spam folder, declined a second chance.

Another company where I had been at an interview turned me down.

At this point I don't know whether to rage or cry.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #343 on: January 26, 2017, 12:10:53 am »

Luke, do both - you will feel better, if exhausted!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #344 on: January 27, 2017, 12:10:13 am »

it seems my health problems are flairing again.

My muscles are twitchy, where there is occasionally a random flinch like reaction in a single muscle somewhere on my body when sitting still and doing nothing.

I seem to be unable to tolerate certain food or supplements.

I cant seem to get more than 5 hours of sleep a day, I wake up with my heart racing and feeling almost feverish, and can't get back to sleep no matter how hard I try, which leaves me exhausted.

and of course the anxiety attacks are back.

I have no idea if sleep disruption has thrown off food tolerances and caused muscle fatigue which shows as twitchy muscles. Or if nutritional difficulty has thrown off sleep and cause imbalances that effect muscles and nerves. or if something else is at play.

EDIT: and I've not mention any of this elsewhere at anytime in the last 7 months, yet somehow somebody on facebook decided today was the day to connect me to somebody else who went on to tell me that I probably have Lyme disease. (I've tested negative twice in the past 3 years) those test are not at all reliable. (I've no real exposure vectors, no pets, and don't get out anywhere other than the canvassing twice in the last 3 years) you could have had it since you were a kid. (I had no symptoms of any health issue other than high blood pressure and cholesterol, and acid reflux until I was 30 when my digestive problem arose) it can lay dormant for years.

right so somebody is now telling me I have an indetectable infection that can go decades without symptoms after the time of infection and can have happened from walking on the lawn in your childhood without you knowing about it. and if you've had it that long it will be a chronic problem ever after and there may be no way to cure it, just long cycles of expensive treatments from special doctors who know about this, because the CDC and most doctors don't know about it... Intellectually i see the problems in this, but my anxiety was already wondering about the topic and waiting for someone to validate the paranoia. So now I'm going to have that eating at my brain for the forseeable future, no matter how much I tell myself that logic suggests it's not the case.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:11:47 am by rovingjack » Logged

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #345 on: January 31, 2017, 01:38:03 pm »

It's Official!
Hottest Australian January on record!!

As anyone living through it will tell you, not a surprise!!

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #346 on: February 03, 2017, 01:01:17 pm »

It's Official!
Hottest Australian January on record!!

As anyone living through it will tell you, not a surprise!!

Hottest North Pole temperatures on record, and for Winter, I think the hottest January in many states in the South. We had some periods of real cold in December, but we've also had periods of up to 27 C /80 F in December and January which is plain unheard of IMHO for this latitude at this altitude.

We are now blending Fall to Spring and just having a few days of Winter. Normally we should have at least a couple of weeks of freezing temperatures dipping into a minimum of -6 C / 15 F and an occasional flurry of snow between Christmas and the middle of January, and plenty of ice sheets for days - if not weeks - and wet weather during December. Our Winters and Falls are very dry now. The ice sheets are a thing of the past.

I fear the Summer that is coming - though I think we are now benefiting from Central American moisture in Summer. Literally the "monsoons" of Mexico are migrating northward - so there's a chance our hottest month, August, will be a very mild and wet one, like it was this year (normally we peak at a maximum of 43 C / 110 F in a typically very dry August.

And the stupid groundhog doesn't know anything (today was Groundhog Day in the USA). The silly creature predicted 6 more weeks of Winter!!  Cheesy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day
http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/4893361-155/washington-post-op-ed-groundhog-day-is

This year's Groundhog prediction:

Groundhog Day 2017: Watch Punxsutawney Phil's prediction

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:15:57 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #347 on: February 03, 2017, 07:11:40 pm »

Don't worry, JW; both Wiarton Willie and Shubenacadie Sam predict an early spring.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2017, 07:55:19 am »

Don't worry, JW; both Wiarton Willie and Shubenacadie Sam predict an early spring.

I don't necessarily want an early spring. I'd be satisfied if the weather stayed at a relatively constant temperature throughout the season. I'm hating the frequent swings between -6C and 27 C. We have never seen so many temperature swings in one season.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #349 on: February 05, 2017, 08:12:55 am »

My GAH today is that last Friday I lost my folding knife. I was called on emergency to another of our shops to cover for sick employees, and I have a deep suspicion that I left the knife at that location. Naturally, the employees there "never saw it"  Roll Eyes As that location is in a pretty rough neighbourhood, I'm quite sure they will keep it for self defence and never return it  Tongue

I already ordered another one from a well know Chinese website. As in the last time, very slowly. It'll take about a month and a half for the knife to get here, apparently being carried on a reindeer who will also have to board a trans Atlantic ship, disembark (better do it now while Federal court orders allow), and then ride a paddle boat on the mighty Mississippi to get here (it comes from Sweden on one of those drop-shipping deals). But for the last two times I was called to that location, I have done nothing but lose hours of work plus the value of the lost knife. This was a most unproductive week for me money-wise. I don't want to refuse helping the boss cover for the other location, but on top of this being a short month (28 days) all I'm doing is working harder and losing money that I could use for other things. I'm not happy at all Angry
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: