The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 17, 2019, 06:32:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 46066 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #300 on: December 11, 2016, 04:03:23 am »

Sorry, Banfili

Somewhat similarly to your predicament, I found out Thursday that the "Whuck-whuck-whuck" sound my car was making was not in fact the wear bars on the old-ish right front tire, but rather  the rotor on the right rear wheel (the wheel that was impacted in the recent horrific crash). Seems the disc brake rotor was warped and had either not been replaced, or was replaced but damaged during installation. in either case, both rotor and caliper must be replaced. Hopefully, the repairs will be finished in time for the next holiday performance of a group that I habitually perform with (two days after the scheduled repair appointment). If not, I will most likely have to cancel. Pins and needles...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #301 on: December 11, 2016, 09:35:14 am »

Car was fixed up good as new yesterday, and phone was returned to the shop from whence it came - I am in "big" town again tomorrow morning and will come home via "little" town to sort out the phone mess. Working itself out, and so far no new problems other than the weather warming (which I hate) - forecast temp for Tuesday is 37oC, and another trip to "big" town in that is something to which I am not looking forward!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #302 on: December 20, 2016, 09:35:02 am »

It's my last week at this job, and so I decided to make some treats to share with coworkers this week.

I made some banana bread muffins with my secret recipe.

I made pumpkin spice crispy treats, and apple spice crispy treats (they taste very like an apple crisp). both having gotten rave reviews last time I brought them to a party.

and I made a small batch of cheese cake filled doughnut holes dusted with graham cracker crumbs.

I brought them to work... and ended up bringing them back home, less two muffins and a doughnut hole I gave to delivery drivers. One said the cheesecake bits were great, and the other said the muffin was the best he'd had in years.

Nobody even tried anything. I even offered to several people in the lunch/break room.

I literally can't give these things away. and the Gaaaah of it is that this isn't the only time something like this happened. It seems to be a perpetual situation. I come up with recipe ideas, make batches and try to share them with people and end up with a bunch of food going to waste because nobody eats it.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I enjoy making tasty things and freely sharing them, so naturally the universe has decided that I am to be surrounded by people who don't want tasty things and politely refuse anything freely given.

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #303 on: December 26, 2016, 12:37:32 pm »

Human greed.

Got enough presents yesterday to fill a skip?  Let's go out to the sales today and buy more tat we don't need with money we don't have and deny some poor buggar a decent Christmas break with their loved ones in the process. 

It makes me sick. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #304 on: December 28, 2016, 12:17:14 am »

It's the brainwashing - sorry, I mean advertising - that we all seem to be subjected to, almost from birth. I remember my stepson at age 12, many years ago, whinging piteously because his new T-shirt didn't have the "right" label..... and as for the after-Christmas sales, being urged to buy stuff we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like, "because it's a bargain"...... Ugh!

Athanor.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #305 on: December 28, 2016, 03:30:41 am »

We at our house give gifts on the Special day(s) of the year, but we also give wherewithal to be spent on other things things later in the year, when we are less susceptible to calendar-induced buyer's frenzy, and when it will be less likely that the salespeople will be denied a vacation or a good day because we happened to drop in. We each give things the others need (despite my complaints to the contrary on FB and elsewhere, I actually do need pants, underwear, shirts, socks, dishes, etc, more urgently than a new concertina, for which the money gifts over several years and and events can be saved up).

That saves us from the hubbub of returning items the week after, and me personally the somewhat dangerous job of being Mom and Dad's chauffeur/bodyguard during such holiday excursions; I fear I'm not nearly as formidable as is necessary in either capacity, even if I should decide to carry one of my nunchaku (which in itself would present a whole other can of troublesome worms should I use it to defend them; it's never as simple as in martial arts movies! Wink. A pistol even more so).
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #306 on: December 28, 2016, 11:17:06 am »

Another Gahhhh! from me. 

Nightmare journey from Hell yesterday evening after a very pleasant day out on the steam trains with my fellow West Midlands steampunks. 

Had to spend an hour and twenty minutes sat in Birmingham New Street waiting for my connection to get back home (it should have only been an hour but an idiot decided it would be a good idea to walk up the tracks so we spent twenty minutes on the train going nowhere whilst the police hunted him off).

At some point during that hour and twenty minutes, my vintage grey cotton gloves (which I spent, literally, years hunting up before finally finding a pair only a few months ago) fell out of my pocket without my noticing and seem now to be irretrievably lost. 

It's a small thing, but Gahhh! doesn't quite cover how I'm feeling about this. 
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #307 on: December 28, 2016, 11:38:24 am »

We at our house give gifts on the Special day(s) of the year, but we also give wherewithal to be spent on other things things later in the year, when we are less susceptible to calendar-induced buyer's frenzy, and when it will be less likely that the salespeople will be denied a vacation or a good day because we happened to drop in. We each give things the others need (despite my complaints to the contrary on FB and elsewhere, I actually do need pants, underwear, shirts, socks, dishes, etc, more urgently than a new concertina, for which the money gifts over several years and and events can be saved up).

That saves us from the hubbub of returning items the week after, and me personally the somewhat dangerous job of being Mom and Dad's chauffeur/bodyguard during such holiday excursions; I fear I'm not nearly as formidable as is necessary in either capacity, even if I should decide to carry one of my nunchaku (which in itself would present a whole other can of troublesome worms should I use it to defend them; it's never as simple as in martial arts movies! Wink. A pistol even more so).

Don't forget a fresh shirt tie and suit in the trunk (UK: boot of a car)... if you're going to play "The Transporter," then you need to have a clean extra suit, just in case you have to engage in a high speed chase, or combat ninja attackers.

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #308 on: December 28, 2016, 03:37:20 pm »

The day after Christmas Day in the UK is known as Boxing Day.
In case anyone was unsure.

As one of our very few allowances for the season I take Xa (my wife) and Toni (the Monster-In-law) out for Boxing Day lunch at a restaurant

This year's meal was appalling.

The carrots were not washed...and then they were boiled to mush.
The parsnips were raw, not 'Al dente', just not cooked at all.
The brussel sprouts were also raw to the extent of two of them still having ice inside.
The roast potatoes were only cooked on the outside.
The meats were cold AND chewy...and so was the gravy.
My 'pigs in blankets' were also not cooked properly. Raw pork wrapped in raw pork.

To top all that they put 'pigs in blankets' (sausages wrapped in bacon if you don't know)) on top of Xa's VEGETARIAN option.
She wanted a replacement dinner so I broke off the edge of the pastry on the feta tart so I could recognise it.
Sure enough the 'new' dinner came back with the same tart just with the offending meat scraped off.

None of us ate the dinners and certainly didn't feel like risking the puddings.
We complained VERY LOUDLY (how un-British of us).
The only upside was that we didn't pay so got three starters, two coffees and a Martini for nothing.
What a farce.

We ended up having cake and biscuits in a local mall.
Luckily there were also plenty of cheeses and crackers left in doors.

Letter of complaint and Trip Advisor sarcasm completed.

If anyone's wondering it was one of Whitbread's 'Table Table' pub restaurants.
We've eaten at others without complaint.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #309 on: December 28, 2016, 03:56:28 pm »

I really hate it when I'm called in for work out of nowhere

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #310 on: December 29, 2016, 05:19:04 am »

The day after Christmas Day in the UK is known as Boxing Day.
In case anyone was unsure.

As one of our very few allowances for the season I take Xa (my wife) and Toni (the Monster-In-law) out for Boxing Day lunch at a restaurant

This year's meal was appalling.

The carrots were not washed...and then they were boiled to mush.
The parsnips were raw, not 'Al dente', just not cooked at all.
The brussel sprouts were also raw to the extent of two of them still having ice inside.
The roast potatoes were only cooked on the outside.
The meats were cold AND chewy...and so was the gravy.
My 'pigs in blankets' were also not cooked properly. Raw pork wrapped in raw pork.

To top all that they put 'pigs in blankets' (sausages wrapped in bacon if you don't know)) on top of Xa's VEGETARIAN option.
She wanted a replacement dinner so I broke off the edge of the pastry on the feta tart so I could recognise it.
Sure enough the 'new' dinner came back with the same tart just with the offending meat scraped off.

None of us ate the dinners and certainly didn't feel like risking the puddings.
We complained VERY LOUDLY (how un-British of us).
The only upside was that we didn't pay so got three starters, two coffees and a Martini for nothing.
What a farce.

We ended up having cake and biscuits in a local mall.
Luckily there were also plenty of cheeses and crackers left in doors.

Letter of complaint and Trip Advisor sarcasm completed.

If anyone's wondering it was one of Whitbread's 'Table Table' pub restaurants.
We've eaten at others without complaint.

It sounds to me all the courses were frozen beforehand and somebody didn't bother to warn the skeleton crew that the meals were only partially cooked... Except for the carrots, which were cooked by young kids who have never cooked anything in their life  Grin

I had a similar experience at an Applebee's chain restaurant once. I could swear their "chicken fried steak" was closer to "chicken fried soy protein paste." I could see bubbles in the "meat."
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #311 on: December 30, 2016, 01:50:30 pm »

Another Gahhhh! from me. 

Nightmare journey from Hell yesterday evening after a very pleasant day out on the steam trains with my fellow West Midlands steampunks. 

Had to spend an hour and twenty minutes sat in Birmingham New Street waiting for my connection to get back home (it should have only been an hour but an idiot decided it would be a good idea to walk up the tracks so we spent twenty minutes on the train going nowhere whilst the police hunted him off).

At some point during that hour and twenty minutes, my vintage grey cotton gloves (which I spent, literally, years hunting up before finally finding a pair only a few months ago) fell out of my pocket without my noticing and seem now to be irretrievably lost. 

It's a small thing, but Gahhh! doesn't quite cover how I'm feeling about this. 

Sorry to hear that James they looked really good as well Sad

Any hope that they were handed in?

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #312 on: December 30, 2016, 02:21:09 pm »

I would have thought that if they had been handed in I would have heard by now.  So they're gone for good  Sad
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2017, 02:43:07 pm »

My cars broken down. Best of all, it happened less than a mile from home.  Angry

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #314 on: January 10, 2017, 02:11:46 am »

I just got a new mobile phone for my mother, her old one is failing badly (it is from 1999 and the ORIGINAL battery!), it was my old 'flip' phone that I gave her ten years ago when her even older Nokia bit the dust. The new phone is a very cheap and basic Android smart phone, it only cost £30, but has dual sims and can take her old standard size sim (doesn't want to change numbers). As she will never use the internet or any data usage her old sim with no data plan will be perfectly fine for her needs - calls and texts.

After a several hours of trying to train her how to use the new phone (actually, it was just how to answer a call, let alone how to MAKE a call or send a text), it was pretty obvious that this is not going to be easy.... Technology is just not her thing, it was several YEARS before she was able to use text messages properly.

Seriously, it was like I was trying to teach a chimp how to fly an advanced alien spacecraft that I produced after opening the Ark of the Covenant. Roll Eyes

Needless to say her old sim is back in her old flip phone. I have not given up yet, but I suspect this is a futile effort - this will be a long uphill battle all the way!  Undecided

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #315 on: January 11, 2017, 04:27:57 am »

So the Met Office have issued weather warnings for pretty much most of the UK, there is a cold snap approaching and snow is expected. Also something called "Thundersnow" - I have seen such an event in the past (heavy snow produces a lightning bolt), but I never knew it was a 'thing' to call it Thundersnow. Sounds kind of stupid...

More worrying is the "Yellow Snow Warning" that has been issued. That's just nasty...  Grin

Seriously, it's a real warning, but I don't think many have noticed the alternative meaning.  Cheesy

Currently there are really strong gale force winds blowing outside, and I've just head something heavy fall over and the sound of my wheelie bins scuttling around the yard. Also I've just heard a loud crashing sound - sounds bad / expensive / messy. Hopefully not my problem.  Roll Eyes

Final GAH is that I can't sleep as the wind is HOWLING and the noise of bins and the contents of everyone's yards being rearranged is really quite disturbing.

I'm soooooo tired.  Sad
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #316 on: January 11, 2017, 05:27:33 am »

So the Met Office have issued weather warnings for pretty much most of the UK, there is a cold snap approaching and snow is expected. Also something called "Thundersnow" - I have seen such an event in the past (heavy snow produces a lightning bolt), but I never knew it was a 'thing' to call it Thundersnow. Sounds kind of stupid...

More worrying is the "Yellow Snow Warning" that has been issued. That's just nasty...  Grin

Seriously, it's a real warning, but I don't think many have noticed the alternative meaning.  Cheesy

Currently there are really strong gale force winds blowing outside, and I've just head something heavy fall over and the sound of my wheelie bins scuttling around the yard. Also I've just heard a loud crashing sound - sounds bad / expensive / messy. Hopefully not my problem.  Roll Eyes

Final GAH is that I can't sleep as the wind is HOWLING and the noise of bins and the contents of everyone's yards being rearranged is really quite disturbing.

I'm soooooo tired.  Sad

Can you hear the thunder?  It's probably just a visit from the men from the land Down Under  Roll Eyes  Grin (If you're old enough you'll get this reference).
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #317 on: January 11, 2017, 05:35:00 am »

In the last 3 weeks our local temperature has swung from 1.7 C (35 F) around Christmas up to 27 C (80 F) down to -1.7 C (29 F) last week and back to 26 C (79F) this week. Often the changes would occur in less than 24 hours. I have to carry a ridiculous number of layers of clothing with me all the time. My backpack is so full, people think I'm homeless..
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #318 on: January 11, 2017, 11:07:04 am »

In the last 3 weeks our local temperature has swung from 1.7 C (35 F) around Christmas up to 27 C (80 F) down to -1.7 C (29 F) last week and back to 26 C (79F) this week. Often the changes would occur in less than 24 hours. I have to carry a ridiculous number of layers of clothing with me all the time. My backpack is so full, people think I'm homeless..

I'm a Geordie, and round here that entire temperature range is considered "Tee-shirt and jeans" weather for men, and it has to be well below -18 before any self respecting local lass is seen dead in anything more than a pair of high heels, short skirt (or wide belt depending on how you look at it...) and a thin 'boob tube' top.

We're famous for it. Grin 

(FYI the city of Newcastle is a well known drinking / party / stag & Hen night venue, so mostlikely the booze helps insulate our locals)  Wink
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #319 on: January 11, 2017, 11:17:02 am »

I'm a Geordie, and round here that entire temperature range is considered "Tee-shirt and jeans" weather for men, and it has to be well below -18 before any self respecting local lass is seen dead in anything more than a pair of high heels, short skirt (or wide belt depending on how you look at it...) and a thin 'boob tube' top.

We're famous for it. Grin 

(FYI the city of Newcastle is a well known drinking / party / stag & Hen night venue, so mostlikely the booze helps insulate our locals)  Wink

Famous for what? The boobs or the boob tops?  Grin  I can see why you'd have the ability to stand the cold if you already have "Captain Morgan Black" for antifreeze in your veins...  Roll Eyes
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #320 on: January 12, 2017, 08:13:33 am »

Went for a job interview the other day, then the next day company sends me a friggin' text message to tell me I wasn't picked for the job. Not even a call, they sent a text!! Rude and completely unprofessional!

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #321 on: January 12, 2017, 08:57:07 am »

Went for a job interview the other day, then the next day company sends me a friggin' text message to tell me I wasn't picked for the job. Not even a call, they sent a text!! Rude and completely unprofessional!

In this strange land where I live, you will seldom get even an email after you submit your application (engineering jobs). And when you do get that first interview, usually communication on your interview results will only be by email (assuming they simply didn't reject you at the end of the interview and just told you before you left). The global trend is that employers act like you are a piece of fruit or vegetable in the market. If they see a speck of something they don't like, then they just dump you and get someone else. You are worth nothing when you have 100 other people being considered for the same job, and have 1000s more like you looking for a similar job.

1. Get used to it. Understand your true value in an "employer's market" (nowadays near zero).

2. To hell with employment ethics. Don't even think that human resources experts' procedural advice or employment agencies' rules on interview etiquette count for anything - it's all lies they propagate. In reality, HR department people are making deals under the table left and right, just to save time when faced with an ocean of job applicants. Not even computers can help them make a choice, so they take shortcuts any way they can, preferably by making a little cash on the side, if you get what I mean. The HR industry is, I suspect, packed to the brim with corrupt personnel, and the HR industry is the biggest global scam of the 21st century. Lie, cheat, steal, bribe, wine and dine and if you have not too much dignity feel free to f%*^ as well. Do whatever you need to do to talk to a human being before the interview. By the time you're being interviewed that should only be a formality.

3. Money talks. Be prepared to make a deal "they can't refuse." Work for free? No, not quite, but if you can, working for peanuts is a viable strategy to get your foot in the door. For me, offering myself as an intern working for $15 /hr has been the only way in the last year to land actual interviews for jobs that should pay up to $7000 USD per month at my education level (dual MSc).

Sad sad world we live in.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #322 on: January 12, 2017, 11:13:20 am »

I would've been perfectly willing to work for no pay for the first month or so. It was a job I really wanted and one I was perfectly qualified for.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #323 on: January 18, 2017, 09:52:37 am »

At least they let you know. I have had at least 10 companies not react to my applications at all.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #324 on: January 18, 2017, 12:58:05 pm »

Not replying is nothing new. Last time I was unemployed 1987-1990 - I submitted 114 job applications - at best I had a 50% reply rate. At approx. $1.50 per application (not including my time) it was a lot of money to expend for very little tangible result. I wasn't happy, nor able to do anything at all about it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: