The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2019, 06:14:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 46438 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #275 on: November 28, 2016, 08:10:14 am »

I have an index-linked government social security pension (which will change to an aged pension when I hit 65 & 6 months - same amount, so no change except for the name), & it goes up a bit with cost-of-living and inflation compensation, and, fortunately, never goes down! But what you can buy with it changes drastically with the economic ups and downs that seem to plague the world these days.

I am fortunate in that I own my own house (blessings on compulsory superannuation!) and car so don't have the added expense of rent or car payments. Over the course of a year owning my house saves me thousands - of course there are maintenance and upkeep to keep abreast of, but such things are only undertaken as finances allow. As a pensioner I don't pay for doctors visits, or for hospital treatment (which is free for everyone, for the most part), and have subsidised pharmaceutical assistance, if needed. It's the cost of living that is the killer, added to which I live in a tiny hamlet up in the mountains, which means lots of petrol costs etc. The quality of life is worth the extra, as I don't think I could ever live in a city again.

Perhaps, J. Wilhelm, sacrificing for a very good pair of boots will work out as a more economical an outlay than multiple pairs of cheap shoes, allowing that the sacrifice for good boots is possible. Maybe Santa? Undecided

The primary reason shoes fail is because the hollow cell technology used in modern shoes leads to early failure during heavy duty wear. I remember in the 1990s, I used to have a pair of hiking shoes which lasted 10 years!! I have not seen shoes which perform like that since the early 2000s. Boots not made with hollow soles are now hard to find, and generally they should not be Chinese made if possible. The good ones are almost non existent due to recent trends in sport shoes say in the last 10 years (because apparently, Millennial hipster hiker/runner/spelunking types believe that when off-roading or climbing mountains you are supposed to "feel the ground under your feet" and prefer lighter "high tech" gear which is not-even impermeable to rain or water and simply wouldn’t last, in my opinion. The few available options are very expensive for my budget. I've even considered German Trachten ("Lederhosen") folkloric shoes made in Germany, because they’re the only shoes I know which still use leather and or solid rubber for the heels and soles of the shoes. Angry

For example, I'm about to pay the rent for December this Thursday. My own budget this month is $163 left over after paying rent/utilities/storage etc. Described at the Queer Geer, I was debating buying a $36 wool overcoat on a Chinese website because I feel uncomfortable only having $120 or so left for the week until Tuesday 6th December. And I'd have to spend $100's just to get a real pair of hiking shoes. I never have that kind of cash lying around  Undecided Maybe by March/April I can save that amount of money  Undecided

Poverty sucks. It's a trap designed to keep you down.

I'm currently looking for another job or a 2nd job, and I already work 6 days a week...

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 08:15:11 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #276 on: November 28, 2016, 02:33:58 pm »

Feel your pain, J. Wilhelm, feel your pain! Poverty does indeed suck. Angry The days when it's a toss-up between coffee or toilet paper are still close by, and the toss always comes down on the side of toilet paper!! Thank goodness for the little sachets of coffee from motels that I have stashed away in the cupboard for a rainy day! Grin
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:37:55 pm by Banfili » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #277 on: November 28, 2016, 03:43:40 pm »

New GAH:

Next year the bus route I took to work will be eliminated completely. There will be no practical routes to take me back and forth from my home to my job. I will walk 5 miles to my job in 42C weather, rain, thunderstorms or 0C weather, regardless. And that's on top of everything else we know will be coming next year. The only good thing about it is that I'll save about $70 worth of money I spent per month in bus fares. The bad news is that I'll spend about $15-$20 in a pair of cheap shoes every month (because that's how long cheap shoes last when you're walking 5 miles a day).

Progress. Yeah.

I'm really fed up with this Bull$^&*  Angry

Definitely bad news for you.
Have you considered other forms of transport i.e. a bicycle?  I can't ride a bike as I have a very poor sense of balance, but I got an second-hand adult tricycle and used to have great fun zipping around on that, although I am now in the fortunate position of being able to run a car;  it held its value very well and I actually sold it for the same price I'd paid for it three years earlier.  And it had enough basket storage space that I could fit a weeks shop in too!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #278 on: November 29, 2016, 03:13:36 am »

Feel your pain, J. Wilhelm, feel your pain! Poverty does indeed suck. Angry The days when it's a toss-up between coffee or toilet paper are still close by, and the toss always comes down on the side of toilet paper!! Thank goodness for the little sachets of coffee from motels that I have stashed away in the cupboard for a rainy day! Grin

Ah yes, I have faced the 'wipe arse or replenish caffeine levels' conundrum many times. Sometimes you can be grateful of all the junk mail on the doormat...  Cheesy

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #279 on: November 29, 2016, 06:27:13 am »

New GAH:

Next year the bus route I took to work will be eliminated completely. There will be no practical routes to take me back and forth from my home to my job. I will walk 5 miles to my job in 42C weather, rain, thunderstorms or 0C weather, regardless. And that's on top of everything else we know will be coming next year. The only good thing about it is that I'll save about $70 worth of money I spent per month in bus fares. The bad news is that I'll spend about $15-$20 in a pair of cheap shoes every month (because that's how long cheap shoes last when you're walking 5 miles a day).

Progress. Yeah.

I'm really fed up with this Bull$^&*  Angry

Have you considered other forms of transport i.e. a bicycle?  I can't ride a bike as I have a very poor sense of balance, but I got an second-hand adult tricycle and used to have great fun zipping around on that, although I am now in the fortunate position of being able to run a car;  it held its value very well and I actually sold it for the same price I'd paid for it three years earlier.  And it had enough basket storage space that I could fit a weeks shop in too!

I guess a 2nd hand bicycle could be cheaper than a $300 pair of good hiking boots...

Ah yes, I have faced the 'wipe arse or replenish caffeine levels' conundrum many times. Sometimes you can be grateful of all the junk mail on the doormat...  Cheesy

I just hate the idea of having the neighbours see me in the morning dragging my behind on the lawn like a dog....  Grin
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #280 on: November 29, 2016, 06:53:36 am »

I reside in poverty, fairly deeply if I do say so myself. And I'm held hostage here. No means of employ in this area that I am able to qualify for would pay costs of living, let alone the medical cost I rack up. But more than half the work I can find would 'earn too much' and disqualify me from the assistance that enables me to meet those needs now. And none come with benefits and empoyment in those positions is almost alway one of those situations where they never keep employees for more than a year.

I've learned a few tricks to get me by. but there are times it's a desperate struggle. There are also times when I risk doing too well, and I have scramble to make it come out right. At times like that I invest in non-consumables that enable me to cut cost or generate income in times of need.

It strikes me that nobody should have to struggle this hard to remain poor.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #281 on: November 29, 2016, 07:30:15 am »

I am honestly considering moving back to a place in the neighbourhood where my job is. That would allow me to catch other bus lines which could take me to another job further away. The thing is I don't qualify financially to live there as I would need to earn at least $3000 , and I have a bad credit history, on account of a broken lease contract with an apartment complex, back in my bankruptcy days. So no apartment complex in the area will lease an apartment to me. Roomates don't help, because each tenant, whether the flat is shared or not, has to qualify fully in case the other tenant abandons the property.  Angry

So basically I don't have the RIGHT to live where I want, because I'm too poor, regardless of whether I can pay rent or not.  Angry

So my only options are to rent a room in a private house or a private condominium. And I'm deadly afraid of leaving the relative stability I have now only to end up in a place less stable, time wise. But if I want to work outside of my menial job, I need at least a bus stop which is less than 2.5 miles where I live.  Angry

Now I have to move closer to where the "privileged castes" live, because clearly, the powers that be, have decided to cut service to the "lesser" people in the city. This means that these neighbourhoods have been abandoned, and their property values will be artificially pushed down, so that wealthier people can buy the downtrodden properties and reclaim the land which is "overrun by criminals."

The trap? We call this process "gentrification," and Austin is a cesspool of greedy millennial types (ALL of them coming from sundry places OUTSIDE of Texas in the last 2 decades), who would have no problem kicking poor families out of a building in order to replace it with an ultra expensive condominium high tower -naturally with panoramic views of downtown Austin, fully equipped with a Spanish Tapas bar downstairs, a Chai-tea house, and an organic food market in the next building famous for baking Quinoa muffins and selling Kopi Luwak coffee (basically coffee beans pooped by Indonesian cats). BMW cars coming in and out of the parking garage, and everyone in the area is so fashionable...  Angry  Angry  Angry

http://66.media.tumblr.com/5b9485a13d66e302fe6c4d99a85c1aa7/tumblr_n11v2zHYHx1r2ad2vo1_500.gif

I never though that with two masters degrees I'd ever end up in a situation like this.  :'(

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 07:51:15 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #282 on: November 29, 2016, 11:49:29 am »

J. Wilhelm, I too have two Masters degrees, plus a few others - they haven't helped much in the least! Grin
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #283 on: November 29, 2016, 04:38:19 pm »

I have an index-linked government social security pension (which will change to an aged pension when I hit 65 & 6 months - same amount, so no change except for the name), & it goes up a bit with cost-of-living and inflation compensation, and, fortunately, never goes down! But what you can buy with it changes drastically with the economic ups and downs that seem to plague the world these days.

I am fortunate in that I own my own house (blessings on compulsory superannuation!) and car so don't have the added expense of rent or car payments. Over the course of a year owning my house saves me thousands - of course there are maintenance and upkeep to keep abreast of, but such things are only undertaken as finances allow. As a pensioner I don't pay for doctors visits, or for hospital treatment (which is free for everyone, for the most part), and have subsidised pharmaceutical assistance, if needed. It's the cost of living that is the killer, added to which I live in a tiny hamlet up in the mountains, which means lots of petrol costs etc. The quality of life is worth the extra, as I don't think I could ever live in a city again.

Perhaps, J. Wilhelm, sacrificing for a very good pair of boots will work out as a more economical an outlay than multiple pairs of cheap shoes, allowing that the sacrifice for good boots is possible. Maybe Santa? Undecided

The primary reason shoes fail is because the hollow cell technology used in modern shoes leads to early failure during heavy duty wear. I remember in the 1990s, I used to have a pair of hiking shoes which lasted 10 years!! I have not seen shoes which perform like that since the early 2000s. Boots not made with hollow soles are now hard to find, and generally they should not be Chinese made if possible. The good ones are almost non existent due to recent trends in sport shoes say in the last 10 years (because apparently, Millennial hipster hiker/runner/spelunking types believe that when off-roading or climbing mountains you are supposed to "feel the ground under your feet" and prefer lighter "high tech" gear which is not-even impermeable to rain or water and simply wouldn’t last, in my opinion. The few available options are very expensive for my budget. I've even considered German Trachten ("Lederhosen") folkloric shoes made in Germany, because they’re the only shoes I know which still use leather and or solid rubber for the heels and soles of the shoes. Angry

But have You considered the option of working Shoe. They should be durable.

Here is durable shoes. https://www.rufflander.co.uk But the truth is some models (old style) road.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #284 on: November 29, 2016, 05:52:53 pm »

I have combat shoes that I was issued in the army and was allowed to keep after the end of my service as they were replacing all of their gear and kit with newer stuff. These shoes were originally made in 1976 and aside from some light wear are still almost as good as new.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #285 on: November 29, 2016, 09:23:10 pm »

Sinus infection. Pressure on my face. Left eye painful sticky and swollen. So much snot I'm going through box after box of tissues. Can't taste food. Feeling nauseous and exhausted. On antibiotics and rest but I keep having to sit up for a while so I stop drowning.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #286 on: November 30, 2016, 12:46:37 am »

Not sure if this link of any use UK made Clogs.?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #287 on: November 30, 2016, 05:34:47 am »

Most recent gah- finding out that my uncle has stage 4 kidney cancer....  This is much too soon after losing my brother.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #288 on: November 30, 2016, 06:22:21 am »

But have You considered the option of working Shoe. They should be durable.

Here is durable shoes. https://www.rufflander.co.uk But the truth is some models (old style) road.

Actually, yes, I did consider working shoes. I have looked at several sources for that already. That may be what I have to do...

Have you considered other forms of transport i.e. a bicycle?  I can't ride a bike as I have a very poor sense of balance, but I got an second-hand adult tricycle and used to have great fun zipping around on that, although I am now in the fortunate position of being able to run a car;  it held its value very well and I actually sold it for the same price I'd paid for it three years earlier.  And it had enough basket storage space that I could fit a weeks shop in too!

That's another thing that may come to pass. Austin is relatively friendly to bicycles. The only dangerous part is crossing the 6-lane highway intersection and rail road tracks - there is a bridge overpass). Right at the intersection, it's actually safer to become a pedestrian, because one is obligated to share the bridge with 4 lanes of car traffic (there is no bicycle lane there). I've even though about one of those electric skateboards just to travel on the straight segments, and carry the skateboard across the intersection. Unfortunately most of the 2.5 mile way to my job is uphill as the commercial area sits on a plateau overlooking the city - hence the great views - it's not a trivial climb.

Anyhow, I'm not giving up yet. I have written a complaint letter to the contractor company for the transportation authorities (which I know will be dutifully discarded right and quick by an employee), but I have taken the task of writing and forwarding my complaint letter to a local TV news station and one of the local newspapers.  Grin Nothing like bad publicity. The argument is that they have neglected a densely populated area, and in doing so they have discarded two elderly/pensioner communities, a high school community, several churches, a small vital commercial area with supermarkets and at least 7 restaurants, pharmacies, sundry businesses, etc. Quite a large area to chop off from service, actually, in my opinion.

To add insult to injury, I realized yesterday that these so-called "planners" intend to replace the busiest segment of the old route (the one serving student apartment complexes) with an extension from another route coming from the city, in such a way that buses will be forced to cross said 6-lane highway, climb an incredibly steep hill - one of the steepest I have ever seen in Austin, right in front of apartment complexes.

For starters, I didn't know that buses could climb hills that steep. That seems unreasonable to me. And even if they can, on their way down, it will be nearly impossible to stop a bus, should an absent minded apartment dweller pull into the road from the parking lot. If this new route comes to pass, there will be more than a few deaths from collisions between buses and cars as well as pedestrians.  Shocked

If the council members are really planning to have public transportation climb trough steep hills, they should at least show some style, and use something more appropriate, such as in the famed system of "Cable Cars" in San Francisco  Grin

Eddie Izzard - Alcatraz

The idea is to have buses turn into the 6 lane highway instead of using the city streets *facepalm* Anyone who has driven through Austin in the last 15 years will know that highway is a virtual parking lot during peak hours. It is in fact much easier to take to the city streets when the highways are congested!! I wonder if the planners ever realized the stupidity of their plans  Roll Eyes  It's almost as if the planners don't live in Austin  Roll Eyes

There will be a hearing early this December where the proposed plan will be voted on by the city council, and I know at least one local apartment dweller from the area (an older lady I see regularly at the supermarket) who has requested an audience (all 3 minutes of it  Roll Eyes ). I have told her about my efforts to spread the word via news networks.

But anyway, I should plan to either get me some sort of wheels or move out of this area. Maybe I just need to get out of my comfort zone.  Undecided

Sinus infection. Pressure on my face. Left eye painful sticky and swollen. So much snot I'm going through box after box of tissues. Can't taste food. Feeling nauseous and exhausted. On antibiotics and rest but I keep having to sit up for a while so I stop drowning.

If it doesn't clash with your antibiotics, you might want ta get a prescription from your doctor for a high dose of Naproxen Sodium (commercial name Aleve in the US). At low doses (220 mg) it is an analgesic. At higher doses (550 mg - prescription grade) it is a powerful anti-inflammatory which works on any part of the body - ask your doctor.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:27:35 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #289 on: November 30, 2016, 07:07:04 am »

Most recent gah- finding out that my uncle has stage 4 kidney cancer....  This is much too soon after losing my brother.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I just buried my aunt last month because last year the doctors found that she was in stage 4, after being in remission for 10 years... That's the reason I will not have anyone for Christmas or New Year. I''' be alone. My aunt's children are taking my uncle to Florida, presumably to keep him out of the house (I suspect they will convince him to close his business and leave Austin).
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #290 on: November 30, 2016, 05:42:20 pm »

The idea is to have buses turn into the 6 lane highway instead of using the city streets *facepalm* Anyone who has driven through Austin in the last 15 years will know that highway is a virtual parking lot during peak hours. It is in fact much easier to take to the city streets when the highways are congested!! I wonder if the planners ever realized the stupidity of their plans  Roll Eyes  It's almost as if the planners don't live in Austin  Roll Eyes

One of my paternal cousins worked on (meaning was a junior "apprentice" type with an architect firm that helped design the bridge architecture of) the Mopac Freeway, and was enough in the loop to tell me several years ago that as far as he could tell, at least half of everybody connected with the infrastructure design in Austin and the surrounding area were TAMU graduates -as is he. So, Austin's transportation arteries really were at least partially "designed by aggies!" Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:44:30 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #291 on: November 30, 2016, 07:41:29 pm »

so somewhere in the last week of hauling heavy weights out of trucks I must have strained something. The back side of my right armpit feels like I slept on a rock. It's not a comfortable feeling for sure but it mostly hurts when I reach forward and up. So I'm going to try to baby the are for the rest of the week and see if we recoup. I've got a doctors appointment on the 14th. If it's still a problem by then, than it's really a problem and not just sore muscles.

Seems like every job I take comes with an injury lately. Just hope none of them are the kind that require surgery.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #292 on: December 01, 2016, 11:28:15 pm »

Just to let you all know, as from today...I'll be taking a "sabbatical" for some time to come. So don't please get worried if I don't post for the foreseeable future.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #293 on: December 01, 2016, 11:39:54 pm »

Just to let you all know, as from today...I'll be taking a "sabbatical" for some time to come. So don't please get worried if I don't post for the foreseeable future.
We'll keep your chair warm for you, old chap.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #294 on: December 02, 2016, 07:35:35 am »

The death of PÁDRAIG DUGGAN of Clannad.... August 9th 2016

We are very sad to inform you of the loss of Pádraig Duggan, musician, songwriter and founding member of Clannad.

He passed away on 09 August in Dublin, Ireland. He was 67 .

Pádraig along with twin brother, Noel, were the youngest of six children of Aodh (Hugh) and Máire Duggan and grew up in the Gaoth Dobhair Gaeltacht in Northwest Donegal.

Following a recurring illness, Pádraig passed away in Blanchardstown Hospital, Dublin and is survived by his wife Jan.

Things will never be the same ......We will miss him dearly

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a Ánam

Cry
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #295 on: December 02, 2016, 08:40:42 am »

The idea is to have buses turn into the 6 lane highway instead of using the city streets *facepalm* Anyone who has driven through Austin in the last 15 years will know that highway is a virtual parking lot during peak hours. It is in fact much easier to take to the city streets when the highways are congested!! I wonder if the planners ever realized the stupidity of their plans  Roll Eyes  It's almost as if the planners don't live in Austin  Roll Eyes

One of my paternal cousins worked on (meaning was a junior "apprentice" type with an architect firm that helped design the bridge architecture of) the Mopac Freeway, and was enough in the loop to tell me several years ago that as far as he could tell, at least half of everybody connected with the infrastructure design in Austin and the surrounding area were TAMU graduates -as is he. So, Austin's transportation arteries really were at least partially "designed by aggies!" Cheesy

Well, that explains a lot!  Cheesy That's why we have UT graduate transportation engineering students scratching their heads as to why Austin's roads can never catch up with demand!  They were designed by Aggies!  Grin

I for one, don't have a problem being called a "Tea-sip." I'm in the appropriate forum for that! Aggies think we are snobs, while at the UT school of engineering, we like to use this mathematical joke:

lim (UT) = Texas A&M
I.Q. → 0

Not meat as a serious insult of course*, I am a Longhorn and I have Texas A&M family members. Taking stabs at each other is most natural for Aggies and Longhorns.Grin

JW

*For those of you not understanding the inside joke, The University of Texas at Austin is the nemesis (in football and other sport games, as well in many other things) of the Texas Agricultural and Mechanic (Texas A&M) university, in College Station, a small community somewhere between the cities of Austin and Houston. The Texas A&M students or "Aggies" are known for their military cadet training programme and conservative traditions (at one time a male-only school), and the UT students or "Longhorns" have a reputation for being a mixed bag of wealthy snobs and lefties, sort of like the University of California, Berkeley.

Since at least the 1930s, the Texas A&M Aggies have called students of the University of Texas at Austin “tea-sippers” ( or “teasippers"), later “tea-sips” (or “teasips"). No one knows why.
Some have speculated that “tea-sipper” is an Aggie tea-drinking interpretation of the famous “Hook ‘em, Horns” hand gesture, but that hand gesture was invented by cheerleader Harley Clark in 1955—well after “tea-sipper” was first cited.
Wikipedia: Glossary of Texas Aggie Terms
Tea-sip
A student of Texas A&M’s archrival, the University of Texas at Austin.
Urban Dictionary
tea sipper
word used by Texas A&M aggies to describe a Texas Longhorn. meant to be demeaning
Why does that there tea sipper make more money than me?
by Lindlof May 28, 2004
Urban Dictionary
1. tea-sip
One who attends or attended the University of Texas (t.u.) in Austin, Texas.
The term tea-sip (also spelled teasip, t-sip, or t sip) was started by students of Texas A&M University (aka. Aggies) in the early 1900’s to belittle the well-to-do students of t.u. The University of Texas was traditionally the “rich” school which pumped out doctors, lawyers and the like. A&M was the blue collar school which traditionally taught Agriculture and Mechanics (engineering).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 08:56:38 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #296 on: December 05, 2016, 01:11:05 pm »

The Department of Social Services turned down my welfare application. On the grounds that I've been living off my savings for the past year or so. As opposed to, y'know, starving to death and being kicked out of my flat. Now I literally have six euros to my name and I'm SOL and JWF. (Won't be elaborating those two abbreviations, as it would be inappropriate for this forum to do so)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #297 on: December 05, 2016, 11:10:05 pm »

One can guess, given the preceding lines!
Commiserations, Luke - not good to be penniless at any time, let alone this time of year. Departments of Social Security/Services are not know for their rational behaviour. If you help yourself, you're not eligible, if you don't help yourself, you're not eligible!
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #298 on: December 06, 2016, 02:36:04 pm »

To add insult to injury, I woke up this morning with the nastiest cold I've had in the recent years. Ugh.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #299 on: December 07, 2016, 01:23:03 pm »

Two GAAAAAHHHHHHHs today! Cry

First, on my way home from the next town down the road this afternoon (just), the left front passenger window of my car imploded into a thousand little pieces of glass! No idea why. The front passenger side of my car is now covered in little glass pieces and glass dust!! Relatively new car too - bought in March.

Second, the new mobile phone I bought this morning (as a pre paid emergency) failed to work as expected. After SIM card was activated, battery charged etc., it failed to recognise that there was a card there at all! The new card worked in my other mobile, but neither card would work at all in the new phone! The help desk lady, who was very helpful, by the way, suggested I take it to the nearest Telstra shop and have a tech look at it.

As, at the moment, I don't have a vehicle to do that (140-150km round trip) it's not going to happen soon. I can't even take it back to the place from whence it came (90km round trip, brand new, it is, too) until I get the window replaced!

Grrrrr! Cry Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: