The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2019, 06:23:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 46439 times)
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #250 on: November 22, 2016, 07:29:59 pm »

I feel with you.
Parents also phone quite often
"Why does my iphone, ipad, laptop, printer (whatever) not work?"
Sorry, my crystal ball is down for maintenance. Was there an error message?
"yes"
What did it say?
"don´t know. just clicked it"
GAAAAAAH!
Countless viruses, toolbars, adware and.....no learning.

Fathers laptop had a final harddisk crash.
ALL DATA LOST.
No backups made

New laptop.
Does he do backups like I tell him to?

NO!

I know how you feel.
I hate this

"Could you just come over and have a look?"

NO.
own life
own job
own projects

Just be unavailable. Next few phone calls you are not in town. Leave them sitting with a non-working computer for a few days.
No reason for a bad conscience. Use YOUR time for YOUR stuff.
After a week or so you can fix it if you like.
THEN they will get to know the value of what you do.
Or they have found someone else to fix it....

My best answer why his laptop cannot do this or that. His friend (whoever) made his computer do this or that.
I just told him to take the laptop to his friend so he could fix it.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #251 on: November 23, 2016, 12:18:14 am »

I just deny any systems skills!
"I'm ok with apps" I say, "and I can do a bit of a clean-up,but don't ask me to do any systems stuff."
Usually works!!  Grin
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #252 on: November 23, 2016, 08:39:24 am »

I just deny any systems skills!
"I'm ok with apps" I say, "and I can do a bit of a clean-up,but don't ask me to do any systems stuff."
Usually works!!  Grin

Just show up at their house with a mallot and say "OK. Where's the box? Usually I just pound it a couple of times with this mallot and it goes right back to work. If not, we'll just flush it down the toilet"   Grin  They won't call you again.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #253 on: November 23, 2016, 08:49:40 am »

And make sure you dress like and do your best impression of Mr. Gumby.  Grin
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:53:37 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #254 on: November 23, 2016, 10:38:47 am »

Except when I have been away I am using a Mac now - so not a lot to do!
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #255 on: November 23, 2016, 06:54:52 pm »

Tom Smith's take on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozbcR3ycjF8
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #256 on: November 23, 2016, 08:09:31 pm »

Get beta computah!

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #257 on: November 24, 2016, 03:50:58 pm »

i just got fired.

because I appearently was calling someone while at work
with my phone in my bag, out of reach

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #258 on: November 24, 2016, 07:15:26 pm »

i just got fired.

I'm fairly sure that you'll find that being sacked like that is illegal. No warnings and no proof means there is no reason. Therefore it's what is called here 'unfair dismissal'.
Was that the only reason they gave?

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #259 on: November 24, 2016, 08:15:46 pm »

BL##### CONTRACTORS!

Phoned them time after time.
Finally fixed a date
Today 5pm
Finished work early, got home at 4.55PM.
Guess who did not turn up.
Phoned them at 5:45.
Maybe tomorrow. BEen driving the whole day.
I cannot finish early again tomorrow.
They could have phoned if they knew already this morning that they would be away for the whole day.
NEXT PLEASE!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #260 on: November 25, 2016, 08:09:11 pm »

I was alone yesterday for Thanksgiving, and based on  what I've been told, I'll also be alone for Christmas, and quite possibly New Year's as well.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #261 on: November 25, 2016, 08:28:16 pm »

i just got fired.

I'm by no means any sort of lawyer or legal expert, nor do I portray one on TV - so take what I say and inspect it for bullshit very carefully !  Wink

However, I am somewhat aware of the rules regarding dutch laws on employment due to friends / family over the years who have run into issues while working in the Netherlands. Now then, here is the important bit - I am aware that Dutch employment law was changed or amended in 2015, but I am not fully clued up on what the changes are. You need to check this out for yourself and see what applies to your case.

There are several legal methods of contract termination provided under Dutch law;

Dismissal permit from the UWV WERKBedrijf (Dutch Labour Office).

Cancellation by the court.

Mutual consent.

Summary (instant) dismissal.

Summary or "instant dismissal" is what has been used by your employer in this case, however there are caveats to using this method, otherwise it may be ruled invalid or illegal !

Dutch law provides examples of 'urgent reasons', such as theft or fraud, for which termination can take place immediately and without compensation. Urgent reasons for the employer to dismiss an employee are those acts or circumstances that result in a situation in which the employer could not reasonably be expected to continue the employment contract any longer. Every reason justifying the dismissal must be communicated to the employee – preferably in writing – as soon as possible after they have become known to the employer. The employee must be given the opportunity to react and the employee’s explanations must be taken into account. The courts tend to be very reluctant to accept summary dismissals.

Unless your use of a mobile / cellular phone was to have caused a situation that was dangerous to life and limb of yourself or other workers, or that it specifically broke a legal requirement, such as no use of mobile devices in a highly secure area or in the presence of classified materials, then I don't see an effective reasoning for instant termination. Under these circumstances you should have been a warning or formal procedure where you have the chance to defend yourself FIRST. An exception to this would be if there was a clause in your employment contract that specifically states that use of a personal mobile phone or other electronic communication device would lead to instant dismissal.

At this point you should seriously consider (and I highly recommend) seeking proper legal advice and see where you stand. You may have a case for legal action against the company you worked for.

Chin up, and don't let the bas**rds grind you down!  Smiley

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2016, 06:40:33 am »

i just got fired.

"apparently," as in they couldn't really tell if you were or not?

Also, were you using the business's phone line, or your own phone? Asking because of the phrase "with my phone in my bag, out of reach."

If that means that you were calling on your own phone out of reach of the business's phone, then I'd say that yes, you do have a possible case for wrongful dimissal. Like Siliconous, I am no expert on Dutch employment (or any kind of) law, but according to what I've heard...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #263 on: November 26, 2016, 01:20:41 pm »

i just got fired.

All depends on your contract (did you sign a contract?) In the UK, zero hours means you have not a leg to stand on.......... sacked in a heartbeat.

Move on, do you really want to be the one that won over the boss in a legal case and be a constant pariah in the eyes of your fellow workers? Won't be pleasant me thinks.

Onwards and hopefully upwards........

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #264 on: November 26, 2016, 04:50:37 pm »

Move on, do you really want to be the one that won over the boss in a legal case and be a constant pariah in the eyes of your fellow workers?
Is this seriously the way you think of victims? That they should be outcast because they were proven to be in the right?

Sad world.  Sad
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #265 on: November 26, 2016, 05:49:00 pm »

i just got fired.

All depends on your contract (did you sign a contract?) In the UK, zero hours means you have not a leg to stand on.......... sacked in a heartbeat.

Move on, do you really want to be the one that won over the boss in a legal case and be a constant pariah in the eyes of your fellow workers? Won't be pleasant me thinks.

That's a term I haven't heard before:"zero hours. " What exactly does that term mean in UK parlance?
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #266 on: November 26, 2016, 06:00:09 pm »

i just got fired.

That's a term I haven't heard before:"zero hours. " What exactly does that term mean in UK parlance?

It's a term used to describe (increasingly commonplace) casual working contracts. The name comes from the fact that although you're employed by a particular company, you're contracted to work 'zero hours' per week and so they don't have to provide you with regular work.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #267 on: November 26, 2016, 06:26:45 pm »

Kids who make up idiotic explanations of history, and equally vapid definitions of words, and refuse to look up the truth because it's "obvious" that they're right  - because fifteen friends "liked it" on Facebook...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #268 on: November 27, 2016, 12:48:16 pm »

i just got fired.

Zero hours indeed... :/
I send out a bunch of other applications, and i can always return to factory work, i guess.

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #269 on: November 27, 2016, 01:04:55 pm »

Move on, do you really want to be the one that won over the boss in a legal case and be a constant pariah in the eyes of your fellow workers?
Is this seriously the way you think of victims? That they should be outcast because they were proven to be in the right?

Sad world.  Sad
The real world I'm afraid Sir Henry, people are valued less these days in the work place, if your face don't fit, there are a thousand others queing to take on your position in the line, victims yes I agree, but being bullied even more 'till you feel you have to quit is just daily misery........ I know form experience.

Zero hours indeed... :/
I send out a bunch of other applications, and i can always return to factory work, i guess.
Fingers crossed for you Caledonian, go get 'em girl!

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #270 on: November 27, 2016, 01:34:02 pm »

My Gas and Electric supplier, who WERE the cheapest in the U.K., has gone bust.
More hassle in 2016....

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #271 on: November 27, 2016, 11:01:51 pm »

Rockula, maybe there's the reason they went bust! Grin

Just paid my council rates instalment -not high, because it's a technological backwater, but paying out any money this time of year is always a 'GAH!'
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:03:40 pm by Banfili » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #272 on: November 28, 2016, 02:39:53 am »

Rockula, maybe there's the reason they went bust! Grin

Just paid my council rates instalment -not high, because it's a technological backwater, but paying out any money this time of year is always a 'GAH!'

In the United States, working part time means that you get no benefits at all.  During holidays, you don't get paid for the hours you don't work.  So combined with Christmas and New Year's and the corresponding "eves"  I lose about $200,which somehow I'm supposed to make up for. Instead of looking forward to the holidays, I dread the holidays in fear of having a very tough first quarter of the year.  Angry
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #273 on: November 28, 2016, 04:25:55 am »

New GAH:

Next year the bus route I took to work will be eliminated completely. There will be no practical routes to take me back and forth from my home to my job. I will walk 5 miles to my job in 42C weather, rain, thunderstorms or 0C weather, regardless. And that's on top of everything else we know will be coming next year. The only good thing about it is that I'll save about $70 worth of money I spent per month in bus fares. The bad news is that I'll spend about $15-$20 in a pair of cheap shoes every month (because that's how long cheap shoes last when you're walking 5 miles a day).

Progress. Yeah.

I'm really fed up with this Bull$^&*  Angry
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:31:45 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #274 on: November 28, 2016, 06:09:05 am »

I have an index-linked government social security pension (which will change to an aged pension when I hit 65 & 6 months - same amount, so no change except for the name), & it goes up a bit with cost-of-living and inflation compensation, and, fortunately, never goes down! But what you can buy with it changes drastically with the economic ups and downs that seem to plague the world these days.

I am fortunate in that I own my own house (blessings on compulsory superannuation!) and car so don't have the added expense of rent or car payments. Over the course of a year owning my house saves me thousands - of course there are maintenance and upkeep to keep abreast of, but such things are only undertaken as finances allow. As a pensioner I don't pay for doctors visits, or for hospital treatment (which is free for everyone, for the most part), and have subsidised pharmaceutical assistance, if needed. It's the cost of living that is the killer, added to which I live in a tiny hamlet up in the mountains, which means lots of petrol costs etc. The quality of life is worth the extra, as I don't think I could ever live in a city again.

Perhaps, J. Wilhelm, sacrificing for a very good pair of boots will work out as a more economical an outlay than multiple pairs of cheap shoes, allowing that the sacrifice for good boots is possible. Maybe Santa? Undecided
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: