The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2019, 06:14:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 46437 times)
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #225 on: November 10, 2016, 07:13:05 pm »

*Mod Hat on*

OK folks that's enough of that. This is the second thread we've had to lock and purge in as many days because of things getting political and heated. Let's leave it there shall we?

Preferably before we have to start pulling out the hammers and sending people to cool off.

*Mod Hat off*

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #226 on: November 10, 2016, 08:28:21 pm »

My post was completely non-partisan, and not advocating any course or wish for a different course, simply with regards to the behaviour of people and the disrespect being show to one another.

I will not apologise for that sentiment, because if it offends you it's not because the post is offensive.

The fact that expressing that sentiment here was deemed in need of deletion suggests to me that too many people here and elsewhere are on hair triggers and I'll have to voluntarily withdraw from here until calmer heads prevail.

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #227 on: November 11, 2016, 12:33:33 am »

Post in question is reinstated.

*MOD HAT ON*

Now then, this is to ALL - This discussion is now ended, there is to be no further mention of any recent political event or news story (etc, etc.), nor will there be any more comments about the deletion of posts regarding such.  Political  topics will no longer be tolerated AT ALL by the moderators - if you can't play nice, the toys get taken away. Everyone clear about this now? Good.

*Sudo Mod-hat off*
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 03:50:15 am by Siliconous Skumins » Logged

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #228 on: November 12, 2016, 01:19:32 am »

To get this thread back on track, my 'GAH' for today.

While replacing the electrical wall sockets in my mother's house with new ones, I found that the circuit breaker and RCD kept tripping immediately after turning power back on on the fuse box. Then it seemed to last a minute or two before randomly blowing. However this gave me enough time to get into the room where I had replaced the sockets, and I was just in time to hear a loud 'POP' from one of the sockets. On closer inspection I could find no problems with how I wired the socket, and assumed the new socket must have a fault.

Then I spotted something - a small burn mark on the metal back-box fro the socket, right where the mains cable entered. On closer inspection I found that the twin core cable had been exposed as the insulation had been scraped off down to the copper cores. THIS is why it was tripping the breaker!

The problem is,  I didn't do this.  Nope, this cable had been damaged for a long time as the copper was tarnished and dull, and the plastic insulation had aged on both sides where it had been peeled back. So this problem had been there since the cables where installed some 25 years ago. As I pulled the cable further out of the wall, I found another section a little over two inches long where the three copper cores (Live, Neutral and Earth) had all been fully exposed and it was obvious this was done with a sharp knife blade.   Angry

TWENTY FIVE YEARS this had sat behind the skirting board, on a large heavily loaded ring main circuit!  I knew back then that electrician was a f****ing moron, but we didn't have a choice about who did the electrical work (work was part of a heritage grant to restore the property - much bigger GAH and WTF topics in it's self...), I swear, If I'd known about the quality of his work, I would have kicked the crap out of him.  Angry

I dread to think what other electrical horrors I am unaware of lurk elsewhere in the house....  Shocked
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #229 on: November 12, 2016, 05:37:08 am »

Bit of detective work for you then, Siliconous - keep you out of mischief for a bit! It's probably a bit late but perhaps the heritage people should be informed that work by this electrician was/is substandard - wonder how many fires due to 'electrical faults' have happened in homes the electrician (for want of a better word) worked on?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 05:38:53 am by Banfili » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #230 on: November 12, 2016, 06:17:32 am »

Bit of detective work for you then, Siliconous - keep you out of mischief for a bit! It's probably a bit late but perhaps the heritage people should be informed that work by this electrician was/is substandard - wonder how many fires due to 'electrical faults' have happened in homes the electrician (for want of a better word) worked on?

Judging by his standard of work, I'm reasonably confident that Darwin's Law will have prevented him from further risking human lives, fairly soon after.  Seems to be the sort of person who would look for a gas leak with a match... Roll Eyes

They probably found his smoking corpse with his penis still in a lamp socket as he attempted to "screw in a lightbulb".  Grin
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #231 on: November 12, 2016, 07:25:30 am »

I found a few elecrical horrors in my place when I first moved in, lighting cable used for plug sockets (the flash and bang alerted me to that one), kitchen sockets one big spur not ring, so I totally rewired the place then payed a sparks to check everything and install a new consumer unit.

The plumbing and heating were also a shocker, so total rip out and replaced the lot.

If I end up burning in my bed at least I have myself to blame and not some DIY lash up.

(I should point out I was a registered Corgi installer at the time, so did know what I was doing)

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #232 on: November 12, 2016, 08:52:47 am »

At my last house the plumber who was working on the bathroom downed tools until I got in an electrician to add an earth to the bathroom power supply. On arrival the electrician discovered that there was no earth in the entire house. Also that there was no ring main. Everything in the house, from the lighting to the oven was on one spur! How had the house survived for the last 40 years?
Answer: it had been lived in for the entire time by an old couple whose most power-hungry device was a bedside lamp. I kid you not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnAvTTaJjM

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #233 on: November 12, 2016, 04:47:10 pm »

Man, yesterday was a heavy day for me.

- 2 years to the day when my late mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer
- Armistice day (I have lost relatives to both WW1 and WW2)

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #234 on: November 13, 2016, 10:58:45 pm »

I just found out that my younger brother has passed away. He was a kidney transplant survivor....

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2016, 08:13:56 am »

ForestB So sorry for your loss.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #236 on: November 15, 2016, 02:01:25 pm »

I just found out that my younger brother has passed away. He was a kidney transplant survivor....

my condoleances

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #237 on: November 15, 2016, 05:39:44 pm »

ForestB please accept my condolences, so sorry to hear about your loss.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #238 on: November 15, 2016, 07:00:25 pm »

My condolences as well, ForestB; I'm sorry for your loss.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #239 on: November 15, 2016, 09:45:58 pm »

Thank you for the kind words. We are going down Thursday for his memorial service on Saturday...
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #240 on: November 15, 2016, 10:37:50 pm »

Thank you for the kind words. We are going down Thursday for his memorial service on Saturday...

My thoughts are with you.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #241 on: November 17, 2016, 05:49:10 am »

Just now home from hospital after an overnight post-op stay. Had a couple of screws removed and some other remedial work. Nice to be home!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #242 on: November 17, 2016, 08:57:30 am »

We live in the top levels of an old victorian house, with the landlord residing in the downstairs apartment. His name is Jim. Jim has a habit of catching us just as we are leaving or in a hurry, to talk to us or ask a question. He does it so frequently that we have a term for it. Jim-bushing.

Today was my first day of training as a seasonal mail handler for the postal service during the holiday season. It's good pay that could see me through the winter, at least, and get me on the books for repeats in coming years, as well as greater access to other jobs that may be longer term.

So as I head out today there is another car blocking my path out and I have to call down the housemate to move out of his side of the driveway to get around the obstructing vehicle. As he's doing so the Landlords brother comes out of the downstairs apartment and talks to me.

This past sunday, the landlord was hiking up a small local mountain with a group of friends, and they all took a picture at the top and had a good meal. After which he felt ill and shortly after died of a heart attack on the top of the mountain. as last days go that sounds like one well spent.

And the sneaky guy got one last Jim-bush in even when he's gone. (edit: to be clear, I couldn't have asked for a more appropriate way of learning it happened. So it's not so much a gah, for that but more for the fact that it had to happen at all and the lives effected by this going forward.)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 08:20:47 pm by rovingjack » Logged
AstorKaine
Officer

Officer Commanding, Martian Expeditionary Force

« Reply #243 on: November 17, 2016, 08:22:34 pm »

Lost a not-inexpensive pair of vintage spectacles that I use with my Steampunk attire. I *know* that I came home with them after an event this past weekend.

Have torn the house apart, but can't find them anywhere. Absolutely gutted. There's been a lot of cursing as a result.

*Edit* Nevermind, I found them. In a really stupid place. But it was still a 'GAAAH' moment...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:19:22 pm by AstorKaine » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #244 on: November 18, 2016, 05:46:47 pm »

*Edit* Nevermind, I found them. In a really stupid place. But it was still a 'GAAAH' moment...

Proof that evil kleptomaniac pixies really do exist, without a doubt, even if they're not as good at hiding their ill-gotten gains as we humans are at finding them again (usually).
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #245 on: November 19, 2016, 01:53:16 am »

Am I the only man in the world who hates it when his co-worker tells him about not getting a lot of sleep last night because he got a surprise visit by two out of town female friends out to be after work, then telling me they went to 6th St (the pub district) late on a thursday, at which point he found out - after many years of knowing them- that both of them were actually sisters, and on top of all that, after telling me all of it saying "Oh! I'm not complaining, but I still haven't got rid of the scratches on my back!"  Roll Eyes

Gah!

I will never understand the fundamental unfairness of life.

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #246 on: November 19, 2016, 11:53:16 am »

Driving to the dentists this morning and as I'm coming down a hill I tap the brakes just to slow down a bit.  Brake pedeal goes about halfway down to the floor and then feels very feeble and spongey.  "That's odd", I think, and come off the brake and then tap it again.  This time, pedal goes straight to the floor....

S*** S*** S***

I'm suddenly thinking 'I can't stop I can't stop', the car isn't slowing down and there's a pedestrian crossing at the foot of the hill... there's also a turning into a housing estate and I decide that I'd sooner deal with this on the quieter estate road rather than the busy main road.  Obviously being unable to slow down I take the bend far too fast... so I come around on the wrong side of the road and hit the curb.  Hard.  Car rides up onto the pavement (luckily there aren't any pedestrians around), front drivers side tyre bursts, nasty gouge in the front drivers side wheel.  Funnily enough it stopped quite quickly with a flat tyre.

Rang up the recovery company, there wasn't any fluid pouring anywhere at that point but by the time they arrived there was a puddle of the stuff around my back wheels.  One of the brake lines had fractured in the cold. 

I'm fine, just a bit shook up... 20 miles an hour doesn't feel very fast until you suddenly find you can't stop.   

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #247 on: November 19, 2016, 12:37:55 pm »

The hand brake is your friend. Glad you are Ok and not in an emergency ward, once had a steering wheel come off the shaft whilst turning a bend in an old Vauxhall Viva, so I feel your anguish.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #248 on: November 19, 2016, 12:46:41 pm »

James, be careful!

Old cars, odd problems. My dad had a Singer - fun!
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #249 on: November 22, 2016, 07:01:08 pm »

I spent two hours on the bus today (one hour in one direction) to go fix a simple computer problem on my uncle's computer. (Read: some config stuff went derp with the latest windows update; about 10 minutes worth of work).

Did he offer to pay for my bus ticket at least ? No.

Apparently "Would you like a banana ?" is payment enough.

I'm so done being tech support to my relatives it's not even funny. I spent six euros on that damn bus which I know might not sound much to a lot of you, but I'm literally applying for welfare tomorrow because I am broke. -.-;
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: