Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 93521 times)

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
Nineteen years ago I created a web site for a local cultural organization, and since then I have been their Webmaster as well as a member of the Board of Directors. Around a year ago we issued a Request for Proposals for a redesign of the site, and around six months ago we accepted a proposal from a consultant who also happens to be a recent addition to the Board.

Since then, I have personally not heard from the consultant regarding the site (Yes, yes, that should have concerned me, but I had other things to think about) until Monday, when they demonstrated their work in progress, which is nearly complete and is expected to be delivered before the end of August.

When I originally set up the site, and since then, I have made certain decisions regarding hosting, installed applications etc. based on what I judged in the best interest of the Society. The "consultant's" product has discarded virtually all of those decisions, without consultation or consideration. As a result of this, I am now seriously considering terminating my association with the Society over what I perceive as a lack of regard for my experience and expertise, and an utter lack of respect for me personally.

Am I being unreasonable in this?

I'd just politely retire from the position. If they ask why then you can explain.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
My Gah for today.  My work hours have fallen by about 50% in the last two weeks. As a result I have lost about $400 from my income in the last week or so. No one explained why. Yesterday I was told after asking that the previous delivery driver had lost merchandise for clients and as a consequence we lost two contracts, which explains the lack of work. The driver was fired because of that. BUT NO ONE TOLD ME ANYTHING FOR TWO WEEKS.

I've expressed my displeasure at the lack of communication and told my boss that I'm looking for a new job already. I'll continue working just to slow down the money drain. Maximum, I can do this for two months before I drain all my savings and can't pay my rent. The replacement driver is the same person who trained me for the job. O figure he can have his old job back, but now I need a new job, because I can't live on 50% income for very long.  Gaaah!

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
Nineteen years ago I created a web site for a local cultural organization, and since then I have been their Webmaster as well as a member of the Board of Directors. Around a year ago we issued a Request for Proposals for a redesign of the site, and around six months ago we accepted a proposal from a consultant who also happens to be a recent addition to the Board.

Since then, I have personally not heard from the consultant regarding the site (Yes, yes, that should have concerned me, but I had other things to think about) until Monday, when they demonstrated their work in progress, which is nearly complete and is expected to be delivered before the end of August.

When I originally set up the site, and since then, I have made certain decisions regarding hosting, installed applications etc. based on what I judged in the best interest of the Society. The "consultant's" product has discarded virtually all of those decisions, without consultation or consideration. As a result of this, I am now seriously considering terminating my association with the Society over what I perceive as a lack of regard for my experience and expertise, and an utter lack of respect for me personally.

Am I being unreasonable in this?

I'd just politely retire from the position. If they ask why then you can explain.

This weekend I'll be having dinner with my sister, who happens to be the President this year. I'll see what she has to say before I resign.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
My Gah for today.  My work hours have fallen by about 50% in the last two weeks. As a result I have lost about $400 from my income in the last week or so. No one explained why. Yesterday I was told after asking that the previous delivery driver had lost merchandise for clients and as a consequence we lost two contracts, which explains the lack of work. The driver was fired because of that. BUT NO ONE TOLD ME ANYTHING FOR TWO WEEKS.

I've expressed my displeasure at the lack of communication and told my boss that I'm looking for a new job already. I'll continue working just to slow down the money drain. Maximum, I can do this for two months before I drain all my savings and can't pay my rent. The replacement driver is the same person who trained me for the job. O figure he can have his old job back, but now I need a new job, because I can't live on 50% income for very long.  Gaaah!

When you worked at your grandfather's stone works, I don't suppose you had a chance to learn to drive a forklift? That's what I've been doing for the last five years, and I can tell you it's both fun and in demand.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude

When you worked at your grandfather's stone works, I don't suppose you had a chance to learn to drive a forklift? That's what I've been doing for the last five years, and I can tell you it's both fun and in demand.

Close. I learned to operate a very large "bobcat" style loader, with both forklift and bucket attachments, but somehow, I never operated a standard forklift. I don't know how I avoided that (actually I know, most stone pallets require larger sized forklifts, rather than standard size). Unfortunately, the bankruptcy took the equipment including a very useful New Holland LS - 120? Which was a real money maker.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
Current events in the United States are utterly boggling to outsiders and cause for considerable consternation in the neighbourhood. This is not a new state of affairs.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer

Close. I learned to operate a very large "bobcat" style loader, with both forklift and bucket attachments, but somehow, I never operated a standard forklift. I don't know how I avoided that (actually I know, most stone pallets require larger sized forklifts, rather than standard size). Unfortunately, the bankruptcy took the equipment including a very useful New Holland LS - 120? Which was a real money maker.

What are the licensing requirements for forklift operators in Texas? In Ontario minimum wage is $15/hr, and I can make closer to $20 as an experienced driver. I started out with no forklift experience but some experience with other equipment, which it sounds like you have as well.

Madasasteamfish

• A clanger waiting to be dropped......
  • Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
Offered without comment because, reasons
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!
    • The Writings of A.J. Smith

Concur, 100%. I just cannot into even these days.
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's

Concur, 100%. I just cannot into even these days.
In which case, stay odd. You know it makes sense.  ;)
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
Today is World Refrigeration Day, and it is 34° inside my apartment.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude

What are the licensing requirements for forklift operators in Texas? In Ontario minimum wage is $15/hr, and I can make closer to $20 as an experienced driver. I started out with no forklift experience but some experience with other equipment, which it sounds like you have as well.

I need to find out about licensing. But as far as hourly rates, it's definitely going to be above $18, because last year, during the pandemic California raised their minimum wage to $15, and immediately therafter $15 became the de-facto minimum wage for most food chains across the country, which is usually the bottom rate in any economy. This is over the$7.25? minimum wage in Texas  :-\ and at the federal level before our current administration (I think it's gone up at the federal level, at least for federal government jobs.

Right now, I'm grossly underpaid at $13, so I'm not sorry to let go of my job. For any kind of technical work such as computer moving or installation it already was $18 before the pandemic, so I'm expecting that to be the lower margin for warehouse, manufacturing and technical jobs.

Tomorrow I'm talking to  cabinet making company very close to home. They need a helper.

The City of Austin just announced it's going to increase their minimum wage to $22!  You have to remember that Austin is a perennial boomtown. It recently was ranked as the 2nd most overpriced city in the US. Perhaps not the 2nd most expensive, but the 2nd most overpriced.

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

I need to find out about licensing. But as far as hourly rates, it's definitely going to be above $18, because last year, during the pandemic California raised their minimum wage to $15, and immediately therafter $15 became the de-facto minimum wage for most food chains across the country, which is usually the bottom rate in any economy. This is over the$7.25? minimum wage in Texas  :-\ and at the federal level before our current administration (I think it's gone up at the federal level, at least for federal government jobs.

Right now, I'm grossly underpaid at $13, so I'm not sorry to let go of my job. For any kind of technical work such as computer moving or installation it already was $18 before the pandemic, so I'm expecting that to be the lower margin for warehouse, manufacturing and technical jobs.

Tomorrow I'm talking to  cabinet making company very close to home. They need a helper.

The City of Austin just announced it's going to increase their minimum wage to $22!  You have to remember that Austin is a perennial boomtown. It recently was ranked as the 2nd most overpriced city in the US. Perhaps not the 2nd most expensive, but the 2nd most overpriced.

Whoops. Sorry, the Folks saw that and told me kot to quote my relative.

Said without the direct quote:
Certain local people say that real estate folks intentionally make prices high in Austin in order to take advantage of the Californian transplants.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 10:12:58 pm by MWBailey »
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
SNIP
Certain local people say that real estate folks intentionally make prices high in Austin in order to take advantage of the Californian transplants.

Real estate is almost entirely driven by the perennial boom and transplants from mostly California. But we're reaching a point where rental prices at the low end (one -two bedroom flats) are approaching Southern California levels. High end prices converge, because multimillion dollar mansions are the same everywhere (1-10 million), and we got a very few famous people / tech moguls with houses in the tens and even hundreds of millions of dollars. So The biggest difference in pricing is in the middle class level and that gap is closing in every year and has been doing so for more than 2 decades.

Anyhow, out of desperation, and taking advantage of the 4th of July weekend (Saturday-Monday), I've decided to have a second interview with the Southeast Asian cabinet family business under the pretext of "I want to talk about training and I have a lot of interest," so as to buy a bit more time, try to recover from a severe tinnitus resurgence (which didn't help during the interview) apply for some more jobs in the vicinity and tell my boss to take my present job and put it where the sun don't shine.

Wish me luck. I don't know what I'm doing. I'm getting drunk tonight.

PS. I guess I can reveal what type of job I worked in now, the shame and bane of my existence: For eight f****** years I was a cashier at a Dry Cleaners shop and in the last year I was working in production, handling a machine to bag up to 900 pieces of clothes per day.  I am tired, old and angry and deaf. And I wanted to take a break this summer. That went the way of the dodo, because the driver, veteran in the company for 10 years, lost (lost???) a few racks of uniforms belonging to private security companies and we lost two major contracts. Each wheeled rack can hold 100 shirts if packed tightly... Naturally the driver was fired.

HOW THE F*** DO YOU "LOSE" A FEW RACKS OF CLOTHES?? Did the racks roll off into the Colorado River?!?

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
PS. I guess I can reveal what type of job I worked in now, the shame and bane of my existence: For eight f****** years I was a cashier at a Dry Cleaners shop and in the last year I was working in production, handling a machine to bag up to 900 pieces of clothes per day.  I am tired, old and angry and deaf. And I wanted to take a break this summer. That went the way of the dodo, because the driver, veteran in the company for 10 years, lost (lost???) a few racks of uniforms belonging to private security companies and we lost two major contracts. Each wheeled rack can hold 100 shirts if packed tightly... Naturally the driver was fired.

HOW THE F*** DO YOU "LOSE" A FEW RACKS OF CLOTHES?? Did the racks roll off into the Colorado River?!?

Didn't you already reveal this, or did I just guess based on your descriptions of Hell?

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
Cannot find electrical service panels anywhere locally, and online is a crapshoot. Prices on them are through the roof. $2500+ for a 400a service panel if you can find one (and most residential installations use a 200a around here). And don't get me started on the bus system they use on the ones you can find.

Why does this matter? While I'm mostly retired these days, I still do consulting work occasionally (I really should start charging for it, too), and I'll take the odd job here or there. But when you can't find the materials, and the prices on the materials are as high as they are? Being a shock jockey, even just for consulting work, in my area is not great.

My parents lucked out and we nabbed 'em the last meter my local supply house had, and we were only able to get that because of the relationship my dad and I have with the assistant manager.

25+ years of experience in electrical, and basically because materials can't be had the one "job" I was doing from home during this "retirement" bullsh*t is pretty much dead in the water until the supplychain rights itself.

Super obnoxious.

Still, far sight better than the factory work I had been doing (that ultimately forced me into retirement anyway) for a couple of years!

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude

Didn't you already reveal this, or did I just guess based on your descriptions of Hell?

T'was the giant boiler and steam that gave it away, wasn't it? I guess I was a real steamer all along... ;D

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
Well, my gaaaaah of the day: a community I was a member of for a while has decided I'm no longer welcome because I'm neurodivergent, and they don't appreciate that as it sometimes leads to interactions they don't quite understand. Like in a conversation instead of going A to B, I'll go A to R and that bothers them. So rather than talk to me about it, they decided to go to the community's head, and have strikes issued against me for each instance.

In other words, I can't be my normal self in the community anymore, despite assurances to the contrary. Probably the best part was when the head man told me "well everyone's a little bigoted," "I have autistic friends, so I can't be discriminating against you," and "You'll just have to be anxious whenever you post, it sucks, but that's how it goes."

Johnny, no. So today or tomorrow, I get to fill out a Discord discrimination report. Sucks, too, cause I do have some friends in that community--well, I thought I did, anyway.

To that end, ladies and gents of Brass Goggles: I'm autistic. I have ADHD. I have **extreme** PTSD. I am very, very neurodivergent. If I say something, or make a random connection you don't quite understand, rather'n blowing a gasket and reporting me, we're (mostly) adults here (and were all supposed to have been adults on that Discord), please, talk it out with me. I'm neurodivergent, not broken.

I've only spent the past many years trying to normalize these things in my regular life, to remove the stigma around those who have neruodivergencies, so we **don't** have to walk on eggshells all the time, and so in certain situations we **can** let drop the mask we wear every day of our lives (like I'm doing right now, and usually do with you lot, because I feel moderately safe around you).

Minor gaaaaaaaaah compared to others here, I know. I mean, "ND loses socialization avenue because they're different" in the grand scheme isn't huge. But I need to get it out of my system, especially before I sit down to make the report. Clear head, all that.

I too am "neuro-divergent" - on the high-functioning, high intelligence end of of the spectrum (think Sheldon Cooper!), with Autism and, apparently PTSD - it says so on my psych report. But I rarely ever notice other peoples attitudes or behaviours much - not even in school, which can be murder on the "different". Over my head it goes!

LukeHogbin

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Steamcat
> HOW THE F*** DO YOU "LOSE" A FEW RACKS OF CLOTHES?? Did the racks roll off into the Colorado River?!?

Wouldn't surprise me if the driver was paid off by some less than stellar people to "lose" them.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
Well, my gaaaaah of the day: a community I was a member of for a while has decided I'm no longer welcome because I'm neurodivergent, and they don't appreciate that as it sometimes leads to interactions they don't quite understand. Like in a conversation instead of going A to B, I'll go A to R and that bothers them. So rather than talk to me about it, they decided to go to the community's head, and have strikes issued against me for each instance.

In other words, I can't be my normal self in the community anymore, despite assurances to the contrary. Probably the best part was when the head man told me "well everyone's a little bigoted," "I have autistic friends, so I can't be discriminating against you," and "You'll just have to be anxious whenever you post, it sucks, but that's how it goes."

Johnny, no. So today or tomorrow, I get to fill out a Discord discrimination report. Sucks, too, cause I do have some friends in that community--well, I thought I did, anyway.

To that end, ladies and gents of Brass Goggles: I'm autistic. I have ADHD. I have **extreme** PTSD. I am very, very neurodivergent. If I say something, or make a random connection you don't quite understand, rather'n blowing a gasket and reporting me, we're (mostly) adults here (and were all supposed to have been adults on that Discord), please, talk it out with me. I'm neurodivergent, not broken.

I've only spent the past many years trying to normalize these things in my regular life, to remove the stigma around those who have neruodivergencies, so we **don't** have to walk on eggshells all the time, and so in certain situations we **can** let drop the mask we wear every day of our lives (like I'm doing right now, and usually do with you lot, because I feel moderately safe around you).

Minor gaaaaaaaaah compared to others here, I know. I mean, "ND loses socialization avenue because they're different" in the grand scheme isn't huge. But I need to get it out of my system, especially before I sit down to make the report. Clear head, all that.

I too am "neuro-divergent" - on the high-functioning, high intelligence end of of the spectrum (think Sheldon Cooper!), with Autism and, apparently PTSD - it says so on my psych report. But I rarely ever notice other peoples attitudes or behaviours much - not even in school, which can be murder on the "different". Over my head it goes!

It's not so much I notice them or whatever, it's suddenly the head bloke of the server is messaging me saying "Oi, yer out of line here." "What rules did I break?" "Well... none. But people don't like the way you interact." "How you mean?" "They don't understand the context." "So?" And so on. Ultimately the final word from him was literally (pardon me, direct quote here): "F*ck off, sp*rg." (yeah, went full on slur with it he did)

Socially I uh... Just tend to putter about and do my own thing, try my best to interact as I'm expected, and reel it in when the wife tells me "Oi, you're fixating" or some other such.

All that said, it's whatever. I'm learning how better to deal with these type things as a ND. Mostly now I just keep to my immediate circle. It's safe there. I can be myself, and even on days I have no spoons, being with them is OK.

So yeah.

---

In other news, speaking of mental health, mine's not doing great. I'm better today than yesterday, but won't lie, it's a bit touch and go. The Black Eyed Dog has me firmly by the throat, and uh... yeah. Depression is something I've struggled with many years, and here lately it's just bad.

No, I'm not a danger to myself or others, I'm just in a very dark place. Particularly with the way the world is right now, and my own history--the news and whatnot just doesn't play well with me. No real way to tune it out, either. Flashbacks are becoming a more common occurrence. The shorthand, as most of you can see, I keep my flag set as Sudan--that's where I grew up. Specifically, Darfur. I don't think I need to elaborate why the current world situation might be causing me issues.

Anyroad... I've not slept more than 2-3 hours a night for the past 2-3 months, it's wearing me down. I also managed to break my bedframe, so my already damaged back is worse.

In a nutshell, this past week in particular has been rough, last night was terrible, and I'm very, very tired.

May be about to take one of my hiatuses again...