Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 92781 times)

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
So, Zathras wuz a wiz?

Wun of them wuz.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
So, Zathras wuz a wiz?

And will be too! But Zathras doesn't like to brag.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
My current future former employer expect to wrap up operations tomorrow night. I've been there a little over four years, but, since I resigned in December and came back in February, I don't qualify for severance. (To be fair, I was already expecting this.) However, I do get pizza and a nice letter of reference.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure I'd be there for the pizza, though. In our business,it was barbecue.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure I'd be there for the pizza, though. In our business,it was barbecue.
Southwestern Texas is known for barbecue. Southwestern Ontario is not.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
On Monday, we were told production would probably end Wednesday. Wednesday we shut down after lunch (the company provided pizza), but were told to come in Thursday (yesterday.) Yesterday we loaded four bins of product produced by the previous shift, sat around for 3½ hours, then were told to come back today (Friday) unless we heard otherwise. I just heard otherwise, so I am now officially unemployed.

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
On Monday, we were told production would probably end Wednesday. Wednesday we shut down after lunch (the company provided pizza), but were told to come in Thursday (yesterday.) Yesterday we loaded four bins of product produced by the previous shift, sat around for 3½ hours, then were told to come back today (Friday) unless we heard otherwise. I just heard otherwise, so I am now officially unemployed.

Sorry about that. Perhaps something will surface soon in your favor.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer

Sorry about that. Perhaps something will surface soon in your favor.

I plan to take a few days to collect myself, then begin studying cybersecurity. Failing that, although forklift drivers are plentiful, good drivers are considerably rarer & in some demand, and I like to think I fall in to the latter category. (My supervisors have told me they agree with that assessment.)

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
Good luck on what ever direction ends up working best.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
I'm going to have a moan about technology........

I've had my mobile synced with windows for ages, this morning it crapped out and refuses to connect no matter how many prompts I follow. The program sucks.

I may be able to connect via a usb but i am so fed up with trying, I am going to the workshop to hit something with a very large hammer or cut some wood or something.

All this is great and convenient IF it works as it should, but it just dose not.

I've also cancelled my landline home phone, paying a fortune for a phone that I never use and the only calls I receive are scams or advertising............ Ding it, gone.

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!
    • The Writings of A.J. Smith
Can't shake the bronchitis. Struggling with a Migraine as well. One so bad my eye is watering and I'm seeing spots. Bugger all I'm feeling rough today.
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
Here's hopin' you're feeling better, Xenos!

On my front, a lot has been happening.

Fierst off, a major Gahhh, or soit seems to me, followed by a bit of hell yeah.

Major Gaaagghh: My car died. Took  it to the mechanics' and they got the engine light to turn off, we picked it up, I drove it to a jam session, next day the check engine light's back on on the xx'n freeway, so off to the shop it returns. Upshot of the second visit? They think it' s the timing chain. Turns out it wasn't, so they gave a prognosis and waited on approval to start a major hunt-the-problem-and-fix-everything-that-pops-up-or-fails-so-to-do. Turned out the price tag was more than we felt like spending (talking multple thousands, here) on a car that's nearly at 100,000 miles. So, we tell them, make it driveable so we can get it home in our garage, so we can donate it to charity. We get it about 3/4 of the way home and it literally dies at a stop sign, and will not crank although it has plenty of battery (a brand new one, or nearly so). Had to call a wrecker, and donated it to the local public media station (And gawd, if we'd known how much of a hassle that would be we never would have tried it!).

So, I'm now basically without a car of my own, but here's the "hell, yeah!": The Folks have let me have the use of their (Dad's) old-but-low-mileage Chevy in exchange for driving them everywhere, as they're getting long in the tooth and don't want to drive as much.

So, things have more or less balanced out. Somewhat, anyway.

Mercury Wells

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

So a Zathras moment/event then?.   ;D
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
Here's hopin' you're feeling better, Xenos!

On my front, a lot has been happening.

Fierst off, a major Gahhh, or soit seems to me, followed by a bit of hell yeah.

Major Gaaagghh: My car died. Took  it to the mechanics' and they got the engine light to turn off, we picked it up, I drove it to a jam session, next day the check engine light's back on on the xx'n freeway, so off to the shop it returns. Upshot of the second visit? They think it' s the timing chain. Turns out it wasn't, so they gave a prognosis and waited on approval to start a major hunt-the-problem-and-fix-everything-that-pops-up-or-fails-so-to-do. Turned out the price tag was more than we felt like spending (talking multple thousands, here) on a car that's nearly at 100,000 miles. So, we tell them, make it driveable so we can get it home in our garage, so we can donate it to charity. We get it about 3/4 of the way home and it literally dies at a stop sign, and will not crank although it has plenty of battery (a brand new one, or nearly so). Had to call a wrecker, and donated it to the local public media station (And gawd, if we'd known how much of a hassle that would be we never would have tried it!).

So, I'm now basically without a car of my own, but here's the "hell, yeah!": The Folks have let me have the use of their (Dad's) old-but-low-mileage Chevy in exchange for driving them everywhere, as they're getting long in the tooth and don't want to drive as much.

Sorry to hear that. I think you've heard this story before. A late 80s Ford compact, I turned down a $900 timing belt change, because it sounded too expensive for a 22 year old clunker. But the issue was they wanted to change the water pump, which they claimed was standard procedure as the timing belt is seldom replaced, and which I thought wasn't needed.  Changed the timing belt myself for $27 with help from a friend

But... The mechanics were right. The water pump was slowly leaking and I didn't notice until many months later. The engine block was overheating even though the thermometer didn't indicate a problem. The head gasket which separates the fuel, oils, water and exhaust pipes cracked (common in old cars), and the small leak which just created blue smog before, suddenly gave way to a flood in the cylinders. The engine died while I was driving over a bridge, with no way to stop...  I coasted to a hotel parking lot. Three days later, the wrecker bought it from me for $300 for parts, and they picked up the vehicle from the hotel parking lot.

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
On the weekend, our washing machine died. A nearby whitegoods shop had 4 different brands for sale with different efficiency ratings. I go to the store and look at them, ranking them in order of preference then talk to a staff member. He checked all four options and told me that, other than the really cheap homebrand, the top 2 options are not available (and he doesn't expect them to be supplied from China very soon). So I pick the third option (which had actually become the second option once I saw the second most efficient one), which is practically the same as the one that broken (plus about 10 years), but the most expensive of the options.

At least we can now have hot water, because the old machine had hot water hose issues. We could have tried to fix the old one but even though the brand is "local", the cost of repairs and any time delays would remove any benefits, so we bought a new one instead.

Sorontar

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
I've been sat in the dark for about 30 minutes, trying to figure out why this Mountain Dew tasted off (I don't often drink soda, mind). Now bear in mind I got this soda out of the fridge about 45 minutes ago. Well, it hit me about 5 minutes ago why it tasted off.

It's not Mountain Dew at all. I grabbed a friggin' Coke.

I've been drinking Coke for 30 minutes, and couldn't tell. Johnny, I think I may be broken. Either that, or all these saccharine sodas taste the same.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
I've been drinking Coke for 30 minutes, and couldn't tell. Johnny, I think I may be broken. Either that, or all these saccharine sodas taste the same.

If it's diet pop, then yes they do all taste the same.

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral

Not diet, just the regular. Turns out I'm actually running a fever, and was the early warnings of me getting sick. Woke up throwing up, so my sense of taste is all out of whack. Doc said "Sipping on Coke may actually help the nausea," so looks like I'll be doing that today again. This time I know it's Coke and am expecting it, though! :D

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral

Not diet, just the regular. Turns out I'm actually running a fever, and was the early warnings of me getting sick. Woke up throwing up, so my sense of taste is all out of whack. Doc said "Sipping on Coke may actually help the nausea," so looks like I'll be doing that today again. This time I know it's Coke and am expecting it, though! :D

If you are upchucking, try lemonade with raspberry cordial - just the thing for gastric upsets. For some reason raspberry cordial settles nausea, and the lemonade provides all those lovely electrolytes and sugars you need. Lemonade - superfood if you are ill. Coke will either kill or cure - you will upchuck or you won't, depending on the cause of the nausea! Diabetic lemonade if you have diabetes.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude

If you are upchucking, try lemonade with raspberry cordial - just the thing for gastric upsets. For some reason raspberry cordial settles nausea, and the lemonade provides all those lovely electrolytes and sugars you need. Lemonade - superfood if you are ill. Coke will either kill or cure - you will upchuck or you won't, depending on the cause of the nausea! Diabetic lemonade if you have diabetes.

Hope you can soon chuck the upchuck

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral

If you are upchucking, try lemonade with raspberry cordial - just the thing for gastric upsets. For some reason raspberry cordial settles nausea, and the lemonade provides all those lovely electrolytes and sugars you need. Lemonade - superfood if you are ill. Coke will either kill or cure - you will upchuck or you won't, depending on the cause of the nausea! Diabetic lemonade if you have diabetes.

Seems to be stress related, have recently had a **major** life change, and a huge stress removed from our lives. Body decided to crash, not knowing what to do with this new... I mean, seriously, it's been... Yeah.

I'll have to keep the lemonade and raspberry cordial in the back of my head for next go, been sipping on ginger ale this go mostly, just tried a little Delta-8 as well (been using that for back pain recently, works a treat I tell ya what).

Seem to have for today at least. Well enough to move about the house in a puttering sort of way, anyroad...

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord

If you are upchucking, try lemonade with raspberry cordial - just the thing for gastric upsets. For some reason raspberry cordial settles nausea, and the lemonade provides all those lovely electrolytes and sugars you need. Lemonade - superfood if you are ill. Coke will either kill or cure - you will upchuck or you won't, depending on the cause of the nausea! Diabetic lemonade if you have diabetes.

Seems to be stress related, have recently had a **major** life change, and a huge stress removed from our lives. Body decided to crash, not knowing what to do with this new... I mean, seriously, it's been... Yeah.

I'll have to keep the lemonade and raspberry cordial in the back of my head for next go, been sipping on ginger ale this go mostly, just tried a little Delta-8 as well (been using that for back pain recently, works a treat I tell ya what).

Seem to have for today at least. Well enough to move about the house in a puttering sort of way, anyroad...

Several of the things I take by doctor's order can cause nauseous effects, so I've tried several things over the years to counterct it.

Zero sugar ginger ale (Big K or Canada Dry, both work about the same for me) is my current go-to for nausea and general mild stomach upset. I used to use ginger chews (we had a store that carried Chimes brand from England) until an experiment with a fresh, thick slice of actual ginger root burnt my insides out (or at least, it felt that way).

That effect lasted for about a year and a half, so I was off of ginger until just before the Pandemic shutdowns in '21, when I started drinking ginger ale for stomach upsets again (also eating ginger snaps as a diarrhea remedy on the advice of my doctor, as he didn't like me taking so much loperamide for the more or less constant intermittent diarrhea associated with one of my prescription medications.

(Disclaimer) Mind you, ginger/ginger ale/ (and other seasonings taken as medicine) and ginger snaps can take some getting used to. Ask your doc before you try it/them.

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral

Several of the things I take by doctor's order can cause nauseous effects, so I've tried several things over the years to counterct it.

Zero sugar ginger ale (Big K or Canada Dry, both work about the same for me) is my current go-to for nausea and general mild stomach upset. I used to use ginger chews (we had a store that carried Chimes brand from England) until an experiment with a fresh, thick slice of actual ginger root burnt my insides out (or at least, it felt that way).

That effect lasted for about a year and a half, so I was off of ginger until just before the Pandemic shutdowns in '21, when I started drinking ginger ale for stomach upsets again (also eating ginger snaps as a diarrhea remedy on the advice of my doctor, as he didn't like me taking so much loperamide for the more or less constant intermittent diarrhea associated with one of my prescription medications.

(Disclaimer) Mind you, ginger/ginger ale/ (and other seasonings taken as medicine) and ginger snaps can take some getting used to. Ask your doc before you try it/them.

Ginger is my go-to for most stomach upsets. I use candied ginger root when I can get it, helps take some of the burn out, and I've found the long strips the local place cuts 'em into is about the perfect dose size. When I can't get that, I drink the absolute spiciest of ginger ales. Red Rock is a good one, Fever Tree is a milder one. That, and munch crackers. If it gets really really bad, and I start getting dehydrated, I'll throw red Gatorade in the mix.

Doing much better today, actually. Have progressed to keeping solid foods down, and sipping on fruit juices.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
While I was struggling with upgrading the forum software, I got distracted and flooded my kitchen.  :-[

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
While I was struggling with upgrading the forum software, I got distracted and flooded my kitchen.  :-[

Oh, dear! Is the software ok? ;D