Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 92951 times)

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
Bonus points from me to you for the Zathras reference.
Though even better if you had said your knees give you gyp (I suspect that's an old kid's tv show reference and saying that no-one but British or Aussies of my generation will get).

Sorontar

Don't know the gyp. Then again, I grew up in Africa/the Middle East, with limited access to the tele. Glad you got the Zathras reference! Speaking of B5, they're in talks for a reboot. However, Zathras won't be in it. He's being replaced by Zathras.

It was a favourite phrase of the Granny from Metal Mickey and the only time I heard it said. Just a sign of my youth I guess and how much the ABC showed British kids shows.

Yes, I had heard of the potential B5 reboot. It will be interesting how they do it (if they do it). I could talk about it for hours. Pity Bruce Boxleitner never got his Lantern City really into production. That was steampunk-themed but I don't think it got any further than small production comics - http://lanterncitytv.com/ 

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!
    • The Writings of A.J. Smith
OK
But get it checked anyway, just as a favour to us all, please?
Oh alright, suppose I'll have to now...  ;)

Devil's advocate here. Or, the guy who always pipes up with his own arsehole opinion, take your pick.

I have a long history of keeping my ailments mostly to myself. Rest assured, before I bare my symptoms anyplace online or to a friend or to my parents or a relative, it's usually been ongoing for a while. Why? because nine times out of ten, what hurts this hour, this day, this week, or whatever, usually stops hurting in about another of the same time periods.

When it doesn't, That's when I talk to others, or call the doc.

If it's been a week or more, and if your pain under the ribs is still persisting tonight, call the doc in the AM. Get it checked out and listen to HIM/HER. Not somebody on a forum.

(No Offense, folks)

Keep us posted.
Week? Oh, nah, this has been well over a month now. Just was **very** unbearable the night I posted about it here.  Hel's Bells, it's been going on so long I'm not... I'm not actually sure **when** it started, now that I ponder it. That's probably not a good sight, eh?

It was a favourite phrase of the Granny from Metal Mickey and the only time I heard it said. Just a sign of my youth I guess and how much the ABC showed British kids shows.

Yes, I had heard of the potential B5 reboot. It will be interesting how they do it (if they do it). I could talk about it for hours. Pity Bruce Boxleitner never got his Lantern City really into production. That was steampunk-themed but I don't think it got any further than small production comics - http://lanterncitytv.com/ 

Sorontar

I'll have to see if I can find clips of the show. Never heard of it.

I do love Boxleitner. He's like a big kid, basically. And aye, I'm surely hoping they manage to get the B5 reboot off the ground--it's my second favorite show of all time (right behind Firefly, and tied with M*A*S*H and DS9).

GAH for today is I'm likely going to the bleeding bloody doctor. Which... Not too keen on. Urgent care or ER... Urgent care or ER...

ER costs more but can treat me if it's super cereal, urgent care is outpatient. Hrm...
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
    • Sorontar

First scene, first episode, Granny at her best, regardless of her knees - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMkhfbIKjg0

Sorontar

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral

First scene, first episode, Granny at her best, regardless of her knees - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMkhfbIKjg0

Sorontar

Will watch it when I'm back from the hospital--the wife is taking me, we leave the house in 5 minutes. Called the after hours nurse, it's either acute pancreatitis. appendicitis, both, or my liver. Or none of that. They don't really know. It just hurts like hells.

So off I go! You lot take care, I'll check in (or the wife will) with news when I have it!

EDIT: Well... The results are in. I have non alcoholic liver fibrosis (i.e. the first stage of cirrhosis of the liver). Of everything it could have been, that's basically the worst option.

So uh... Yeah. My life expectancy just dropped by about 15 years, give or take.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 03:22:35 pm by Xenos »

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
So off I go! You lot take care, I'll check in (or the wife will) with news when I have it!

EDIT: Well... The results are in. I have non alcoholic liver fibrosis (i.e. the first stage of cirrhosis of the liver). Of everything it could have been, that's basically the worst option.

So uh... Yeah. My life expectancy just dropped by about 15 years, give or take.
I read this to my wife, who has similar liver issues. Her response was "Air fryer, rapeseed (canola) or olive oil only, milkthistle. And go veggie."

Thank you for getting it checked out. Sorry about the result.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
Parasites who call themselves "friends".

Just had a phone call from someone who had not called me for about 2 years.

Not asking how the family is, or little daughter or me...
Just asking if I could fix a "robot sheep" (automower).

WTF?

I asked where she had bought it.

No, not mine, for someone else.

WTF?

[Another person] has already opened it and checked and disassembled.....
You must check that for me what is wrong.

I must? no.
You just said it was not for you.
Someone else has been taking it apart? He shall put it back together.

Well, there is [even another person] who can look at it if you don´t want to.

I said ok, let him take care of it.

The she went through the whole "why don´t you do it for me" routine, trying to give me a bad conscience,....
I eventually hung up.

What to these people expect?

I love helping friends, neighbours (we live in a small village) and generally people I trust.

But folks like that one, forget it!

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Parasites who call themselves "friends".

Just had a phone call from someone who had not called me for about 2 years.

Not asking how the family is, or little daughter or me...
Just asking if I could fix a "robot sheep" (automower).

WTF?

I asked where she had bought it.

No, not mine, for someone else.

WTF?

[Another person] has already opened it and checked and disassembled.....
You must check that for me what is wrong.

I must? no.
You just said it was not for you.
Someone else has been taking it apart? He shall put it back together.

Well, there is [even another person] who can look at it if you don´t want to.

I said ok, let him take care of it.

The she went through the whole "why don´t you do it for me" routine, trying to give me a bad conscience,....
I eventually hung up.

What to these people expect?

I love helping friends, neighbours (we live in a small village) and generally people I trust.

But folks like that one, forget it!

I'm with you on that one, some people just take the £$%^ you give an inch and that mile is on their radar, I have similar issues of neighbourly interaction  and I've come to the conclusion let them wallow in thier own misery and not to sort out any problems they may have, there is give and take, but some people just have it in them it to take.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46052.msg1013811.html#msg1013811

LukeHogbin

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Steamcat
I cut people like that out of my life a long time ago. My uncle being one of them. Only ever called me if he had any computer problems. And I'm not walking across the city only to plug in a cable that he unplugged or something stupid like that.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
I have done really well through the pandemic to stay indoors, not get overstimulated, and handle the fact I have autism pretty damn well. Today, to celebrate the fact my kid had their first pro bowler league yesterday, we went out to dinner, bought them some new (goth) clothing, and spent far more on books than we should have (I regret nothing).

Yeeeeeeeeah. It's a minor GAH, but I now remember why I hated going in public before the pandemic, and what being overstimulated in public does to me.

I do not like it.

At all.

Chest pains, breathing trouble, and minor panic attack. Yeah.

I'm home now, and coping. But gods above...

At least my kid had a great day! And that's what really matters.

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
I have done really well through the pandemic to stay indoors, not get overstimulated, and handle the fact I have autism pretty damn well. Today, to celebrate the fact my kid had their first pro bowler league yesterday, we went out to dinner, bought them some new (goth) clothing, and spent far more on books than we should have (I regret nothing).

Yeeeeeeeeah. It's a minor GAH, but I now remember why I hated going in public before the pandemic, and what being overstimulated in public does to me.

I do not like it.

At all.

The enforced social isolation of the pandemic has been the greatest blessing for my Aspergers! I don't go out unless I have to for med appointments and the odd social (meeting), and, for once, I don't get slagged off about being anti-social, or worse! Honestly, I consider "my" Asperger's a blessing no longer in disguise!!  ;D

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Thanks to my next door neighbours Beaker and Banshee and thier past spawning efforts to create the perfect nuclear family, I don't think I have had a full nights sleep for almost 2 years now, woken yet again at 2AM by the screaming offspring and the banshee shrieking counter attack.

I have taken to going to bed when it is silent, sometimes during the day at weekends or around 7PM during the working week.

As a result I constantly feel tired and worn out, on the plus side I cleaned my fish tank and had breakfast by 3AM this morning.  ::) ::)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 08:53:33 am by SeVeNeVeS »

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
Thanks to my next door neighbours Beaker and Banshee and thier past spawning efforts to create the perfect nuclear family, I don't think I have had a full nights sleep for almost 2 years now, woken yet again at 2AM by the screaming offspring and the banshee shrieking counter attack.

I have taken to going to bed when it is silent, sometimes during the day at weekends or around 7PM during the working week.

As a result I constantly feel tired and worn out, on the plus side I cleaned my fish tank and had breakfast by 3AM this morning.  ::) ::)

Beaker and Banshee sounds like the name of a rock band.

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
So what happens when a nuclear family reaches critical mass?
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral

I do not like it.

At all.

The enforced social isolation of the pandemic has been the greatest blessing for my Aspergers! I don't go out unless I have to for med appointments and the odd social (meeting), and, for once, I don't get slagged off about being anti-social, or worse! Honestly, I consider "my" Asperger's a blessing no longer in disguise!!  ;D

It's exactly my Asperger's that was the cause of the overstimulation. Not been in public since, and have no immediate plans to go back out before the 21st (the wife's birthday) outside a doctor's appointment on the 13th for my liver. I will say I've loved the fact that for basically 2 years I've been able to tell people "Bugger off, no, I do NOT feel the need to socialize!" and have got a free pass!

That said, the extended family are all "COVID is over! It's a hoax!" type people, and my da's 60th birthday is coming up, so I'll be fully expected to attend... and outside my wife, child, and myself, no one in my family is vaccinated. Between the heart condition, the liver condition, my lungs being pretty well screwed, and all the other health issues, I'm only moderately paranoid my going to this gathering is basically *asking* to contract the virus.

Secretly hoping to get sick beforehand so I can *not* go.

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
Though even better if you had said your knees give you gyp (I suspect that's an old kid's tv show reference and saying that no-one but British or Aussies of my generation will get).

Sorontar

Don't know the gyp. Then again, I grew up in Africa/the Middle East, with limited access to the tele. Glad you got the Zathras reference! Speaking of B5, they're in talks for a reboot. However, Zathras won't be in it. He's being replaced by Zathras.

It is unfortunate that they aren't bringing back Zathras; however I understand Zathras will still be a part of the story. Sadly, Tim Choate will portray none of them, as (according to Wikipedia) he achieved symmetry in 2004.

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
    • Sorontar
It is hard for them to bring back the original actors for many of the characters - the longevity of them is worse than the red shirts in ST:TOS. At least we will remember them all fondly. Unfortunately Ed Wasser is still alive, but I think he'll find his character hard to bring back as generally bodies without heads are hard to revive.

Sorontar

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral

Sorontar

It is unfortunate that they aren't bringing back Zathras; however I understand Zathras will still be a part of the story. Sadly, Tim Choate will portray none of them, as (according to Wikipedia) he achieved symmetry in 2004.

I have it on good authority (from JMS himself) that he can neither confirm nor deny the rumors of Zathras being replaced by Zathras, as he has a gag order placed on him by the legal firm representing the talent, Zathras, Zathras, Zathras & Zathras (no joke, he actually responded to me about it with that reply).

Here's to hoping the show does find a home, I'd love to see what they're able to do with CGI now that Unreal 5 is out. Hel's Bells, I saw the tech demo for that recently, and me oh my, oh my oh me, if you've NOT, and are inclined to such things, suffice to say it's a bleeding gamechanger (pun absolutely intended)!

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 01:42:50 am by MWBailey »
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral

I do not like it.

At all.

It's exactly my Asperger's that was the cause of the overstimulation. Not been in public since, and have no immediate plans to go back out before the 21st (the wife's birthday) outside a doctor's appointment on the 13th for my liver. I will say I've loved the fact that for basically 2 years I've been able to tell people "Bugger off, no, I do NOT feel the need to socialize!" and have got a free pass!

That said, the extended family are all "COVID is over! It's a hoax!" type people, and my da's 60th birthday is coming up, so I'll be fully expected to attend... and outside my wife, child, and myself, no one in my family is vaccinated. Between the heart condition, the liver condition, my lungs being pretty well screwed, and all the other health issues, I'm only moderately paranoid my going to this gathering is basically *asking* to contract the virus.

Secretly hoping to get sick beforehand so I can *not* go.

Xenos, please don't hope to be sick, it might just happen! Just don't go to your da's 60th - a tough ask, but one that won't kill you! You have enough health problems to get a pass, surely? Talk to your da first, and explain to him why it's not in your best health interests to go to a group gathering of unvaccinated people.  You may be unpopular for a bit, but at least you will be alive!

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude

Sorontar

I have it on good authority (from JMS himself) that he can neither confirm nor deny the rumors of Zathras being replaced by Zathras, as he has a gag order placed on him by the legal firm representing the talent, Zathras, Zathras, Zathras & Zathras (no joke, he actually responded to me about it with that reply).

Here's to hoping the show does find a home, I'd love to see what they're able to do with CGI now that Unreal 5 is out. Hel's Bells, I saw the tech demo for that recently, and me oh my, oh my oh me, if you've NOT, and are inclined to such things, suffice to say it's a bleeding gamechanger (pun absolutely intended)!

"It was easy to pass the bar exam. Zathras knows everything!"

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
Xenos, please don't hope to be sick, it might just happen! Just don't go to your da's 60th - a tough ask, but one that won't kill you! You have enough health problems to get a pass, surely? Talk to your da first, and explain to him why it's not in your best health interests to go to a group gathering of unvaccinated people.  You may be unpopular for a bit, but at least you will be alive!

As it stands, it's looking like I have an out. My liver has uh... well, it's progressing faster than anyone anticipated. I'm now at the point where I've got the constant leg pain, and despite diet changes, daily cardio (intense, "dear gods why am I sweating so much I can't breathe please let me DIE" cardio), and as much walking as my broken body can take, I've actually GAINED 5kg... I've cut out all sugars, processed foods, etc... So really, the out is "guys, I've got cirrhosis, you're not vaccinated. I have had two heart attacks. You're not vaccinated. I have a partially collapsed lung. You're not vaccinated. That doesn't even go into the two tumors they removed and my immune system being completely shot. I mean, I love you guys, but at this point, I'm already close to checking out 20 years early. If you'd like *me* to live to see 60, let me miss your'n."

Then they'll call me a scared baby, guilt trip me, and tell me that the reason my liver is shot is because I *got* vaccinated, and I shouldn't trust the media, and how I need to take some Hyper Male Vitality. The phone call will end with my mom crying about how she loves me, and then trying to manipulate/bully me into showing up anyway.

So, what'll more'n likely happen is I show up, fully masked, and try and stay outside as much as possible while keeping properly socially distanced. If anyone has an issue (particularly my brother or his wife, neither of which I've talked to in nearly 2 years), I'll explain as calmly and collectedly as I can about my health, and that as parents of a special needs child with a seriously compromised immune system, they of all people should understand my wanting to be cautious. I've been in the hospital twice this year already, and I'd prefer to not go again.

In other GAH news, somehow, my 3D printer leaked resin onto the UV screen, hardening it there. This is very bad. In fact, it can ruin the (very expensive) printer. Luckily, my beautiful, smart, talented wife was able to remove it without scratching the screen too terribly, and the printer is still fine. How this happened is still a mystery, as there are no apparent leaks anywhere in the vat. Very frustrating when you think you're going to have to spend another several hundred dollars to replace a piece of equipment you just bought. Obnoxious as well.

"It was easy to pass the bar exam. Zathras knows everything!"

See, now I NEED a comic or a webseries with Zathras as a lawyer. Would be even funnier if Ivanova was the judge!

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
Umm, who, or what, was/is Zathras?

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral

Quote from: Zathras
Zathras is good at doings. Not so good at understandings.

If you go, Zathras die. If you stay, Zathras die. Either way, is bad for Zathras.

Zathras is trained in crisis management!

Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have... very sad death. But at least there is symmetry.

That's about the best way to explain Zathras. Outside, ya know, experiencing him (WARNING: BABYLON 5 SPOILERS):
https://youtu.be/1j-76eLz1hc
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 01:42:20 pm by Xenos »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude

That's exactly right! Zathras simultaneously was and is!

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
So, Zathras wuz a wiz?