Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 98030 times)

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
Re: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!
« Reply #1600 on: February 28, 2022, 06:52:51 pm »
Father von Corax passed away this evening.

I'm very sorry for your loss, and chagrined that I haven't been paying enough attention while lurking to notice this. I'm Very, very sorry, Sir.

I've been dealing with my own father having to be hospitalized for a bad drug interaction, and his subsequent release and ongoing convalescence at home (he's very, very weak, but improving rapidly). That is of course, no excuse. I should have noticed yoour post anyway. Again, my depest apology.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!
    • The Writings of A.J. Smith
Got my 3D Printer set up, started my first print.

It failed.

Why did it fail? Because idiot me forgot to take off the damn protective plastic from the build plate.

Running the test print again. Hoping it works.

EDIT:

It did not. I repeat, the Test Print Mk II was also a failure (but a different way).

Resetting, and going big: Damn the torpedoes! FULL SPEED AHEAD! Time to start printing minis!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 07:56:36 am by Xenos »
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

LukeHogbin

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Steamcat
I'm not trying to discourage you, but be prepared to have Mk III, IV, and V fail as well. Filament printers take a lot of fiddling to set up.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
Resetting, and going big: Damn the torpedoes! FULL SPEED AHEAD! Time to start printing minis!

Printing torpedoes might pose a few rather dangerous problems...

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
Not a good day.
Spent the first 2 hours failing to find anywhere in this city that sells 4mm router bits (except for Screwfix whose bits have a 50% chance of making it all the way along 1 metre of pine and 0% chance of cutting 36m of assorted hardwoods).

Got to the Hackspace (which has no heating and was barely above 2 degrees C for most of the day) and my wife rang to say that we just got a tax bill of £3,500 (about 25% of last year's earnings).

Spent the next two hours repairing the router table and then failing to get the router working.

Then the friend I was working with asked for a lift to the station so spent over an hour sitting in rush hour traffic, only to get home to discover that the house we set our hearts on buying has been taken off the market with no explanation.

[e.t.a. ...and the eczema I've developed in the last month has doubled in coverage in the last 48 hours]

I chose the wrong week to stop swearing.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 10:44:59 pm by Sir Henry »
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
Father von Corax passed away this evening.

I'm very sorry for your loss, and chagrined that I haven't been paying enough attention while lurking to notice this. I'm Very, very sorry, Sir.

I've been dealing with my own father having to be hospitalized for a bad drug interaction, and his subsequent release and ongoing convalescence at home (he's very, very weak, but improving rapidly). That is of course, no excuse. I should have noticed yoour post anyway. Again, my depest apology.

Thank you, MW, and I know only too well how easy it is to put things off, especially when you have something on your mind.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
I'm not trying to discourage you, but be prepared to have Mk III, IV, and V fail as well. Filament printers take a lot of fiddling to set up.

This one's resin. Even more finicky. And yeah, so far all 4 attempts have failed. Have joined a discord support group, hopefully can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Gah for today is while Worker's Comp is drawing to a close, and it's more than their initial offer, it's decidedly less than my injury is worth (considering I can barely walk). Also found out my employment didn't technically terminate yet, meaning my insurance could have continued. The lawyer initially handing my employer's side lied about that, and was pocketing the $100 sign off fee that employees get. That's why she's no longer with that firm.

Yay embezzling!

Boo losing my dental insurance when I've got an abscess in my GUM.

Ah well, after 3/4 of a year, this nightmare is FINALLY drawing to a close. I'll be able to pay off my auto slip, pay up my house for nearly a year, and buy a few nice things for the wife and kid, so not all bad news, I suppose.

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
Not a good day.
Spent the first 2 hours failing to find anywhere in this city that sells 4mm router bits (except for Screwfix whose bits have a 50% chance of making it all the way along 1 metre of pine and 0% chance of cutting 36m of assorted hardwoods).

Got to the Hackspace (which has no heating and was barely above 2 degrees C for most of the day) and my wife rang to say that we just got a tax bill of £3,500 (about 25% of last year's earnings).

Spent the next two hours repairing the router table and then failing to get the router working.

Then the friend I was working with asked for a lift to the station so spent over an hour sitting in rush hour traffic, only to get home to discover that the house we set our hearts on buying has been taken off the market with no explanation.

[e.t.a. ...and the eczema I've developed in the last month has doubled in coverage in the last 48 hours]

But the right week to start swearing again, Sir Henry!

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
My 22-year-old laptop's 14-year-old hard drive has gone south, and I can't find my backup hard drive. >:(

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
My 22-year-old laptop's 14-year-old hard drive has gone south, and I can't find my backup hard drive. >:(

I am REALLY impressed that your laptop lasted 22 years. I could never manage to get more than a decade on any of my laptops.

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
Not a good day.

You chose the wrong day to be awake. The best thing to do in that case (if you recognize the bad luck storm early enough) is to simply go back home and crawl back to bed. I blame it on entropy jet streams.

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
My 2004-ish Windows XP laptop is still going strong! As is my 2012 Netbook, & my Vista machine. Primarily, I use my Mac, but the others all have applications that don't work on the Mac, like Paint Shop Pro, my ArcGIS app, and ERMapper!

LukeHogbin

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Steamcat

I am REALLY impressed that your laptop lasted 22 years. I could never manage to get more than a decade on any of my laptops.

I still have a working Toshiba T5200 that was released in 1990. The only thing that needs replacing is the 3.5" floppy drive. And I use it semi-regularly for retro stuff. (Darn thing runs MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 in English/Arabic)

As for my daily driver computers, both my laptop and my desktop are i5 Sandy Bridge machines. So about a decade old. Both running purrfectly.

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
Someplace around here I still have an old aftermarket external floppy drive that I used with our current machine for moving files off of floppies.

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
Somewhere I probably have cassette tapes of old recordings of a Monty Python movie that I made of the tv, because they hadn't invented VHS yet.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Rockula

• Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
  • Nothing beats a good hat.
I still use the same Nokia 3210 mobile phone that I bought in 1999.
I still get use out of my Philips DVDR630VR DVD/VHS recorder from 2005.
I still play vinyl records I've been buying since 1971.  ;D
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

LukeHogbin

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Steamcat

I'm surprised your network still supports 2G TDMA.

Rockula

• Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
  • Nothing beats a good hat.

No problem with a 'dumb' phone. No internet connection. It's just a non-contract. pay-as-you-go for calls and texts.

LukeHogbin

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Steamcat

No problem with a 'dumb' phone. No internet connection. It's just a non-contract. pay-as-you-go for calls and texts.

Not what I was aiming at, I am surprised that 2G TDMA is still in use somewhere in the world.

Non-sequitur, my current gah is my sad repeated deterioration of everything I've worked so hard to improve in the field of my mental health, thanks to *points at everything. again.*

"At the temple, there is a poem called 'Loss' carved into stone. It has only three words, but the poet scratched them out. You cannot read loss, only feel it."

F-word my f-word-ed up braincell. I'm nearing the edge of my capabilities.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
VIRGIN MEDIA!!!!!

Now, they keep putting up the price, so after a bill of 57 quid I decided to give them a call, 2 hrs to India with a lovely lady that I could not understand, I'm sorry and I am really patient in these circumstances but why do they employ people with such heavy accents, I was struggling to understand her every word and not really sure of the new deal.

I think I got it down to 29 quid, but I could also have signed up for an 18 month nightmare, your guess is as good as mine atm.

We shall see. :P

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

My dear mother still has a Nokia for calls and texts, not sure of model but got to be 15-20 years old, I could not trust her with a smart phone, always forgetting to close safari on her Ipad, if a mobile, credit would be frazzled in a day, pay as you go.

In some depths of her house is a working reel to reel tape recorder, my Dads pride and joy with recorded Goons show from the radio.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
On Tuesday evening I was given "eight weeks' working notice," which means that my current employer will be shutting down April 30.

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
Stupid People! (again)
Had a faulty module.
Wrote one page of text describing the installation situation, power supply, error mode, all boundary conditions I could think of and sent the module to the manufacturer.
I even gave my phone number if they had any questions.
Module was returned yesterday.
Over my page of descriptions, someone had scribbled "module has no error".
OK, connect it to the testbench, same error as before.
Tried around a bit and found it was working on 9V DC and the error came up as soon as 10.5V dc was reached.
The module is specified as 12 to 24V AC or DC.
So I phoned them, asked if they had actually READ my description.
The answer was: "We tested it and it worked".
Which voltage did you use as supply?
"Well, we do not have a dedicated power supply on the test rack, only a fixed voltage."
I explained that the error comes up over 10.5 Volts DC and that the modul is specified for 12 to 24
"Oh, that is a good hint, the module will have a fault in the internal voltage regulation then, send it in, we will fix it."
Why do they test a 12 to 24V module on a 9V block?
I gave them precise descriptions how it is connected in my system.
Will think twice about buying there again...

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
My GAH, and it's a GAH of a GAH.

I've been dealing with this bloody Worker's Comp situation for yonks now, it's nearly done and dusted--i.e. I've got the Final Clincher paperwork ready to go--but there's some... issues with it I'm none too sure about, so I'd like my lawyer to go over them with me, right? So I fire them off the PDF. They call me back *today,* two days before the papers are due, *after* their offices close, saying the file was corrupted, and they've not been able to read it. Lovely.

I go to email them again. 550 Blocked. OK. I try from my Gmail account. 550 blocked. I try from my phone. 550 blocked. I try from my phone. 550 blocked. I call up my tech buddy who works in IT. He explains what's going on. My primary email is Yahoo. There's no reason it should be blocked. But let's face it, right now, the world is in a very not usual situation. I'm trying to send a PDF file to a lawfirm. There's very likely an overzealous IT individual who's set their filters to uh... filter out certain things from free email accounts like Yahoo and Gmail (the only two accounts I have that the firm recognizes at the moment), and as I can send emails to everyone else in the world (hyperbole), it's very very likely on their email server end. Kind of like Yahoo doesn't deal well with Wordpress password reset requests, filters them right out.

That's all well and good, except the Clincher Form is due FRIDAY.

So that means everything is coming down to the very barest of wires. I'm stressed as hell. I could just sign the papers, but again, there's some very, *very* tetchy language in there that...

Why does it matter I have 25+ years experience as an electrician for the purposes of the settlement? That has zilch to do with my injury. Why do they need to know that? Why does my level of education matter? I mean, for all I know, that could be bog basic standard practice on something like this, or I could be about to tell them "yeah, and you lot get my kidney in exchange for the payoff." I DON'T READ LAWYERSPEAK.

Either way, it's nearing the finish line, so the silver lining of it all is that well, I'm going to get a small payout in exchange for having busted my back into a million tiny pieces, having to relearn to walk, and basically, I'm now going to be, let's call it "retiring." I don't like the term "being disabled," (even though that's for all practical purposes what I am now, not just from this, but also from the epilepsy, and all the other neurodivergencies I have (not least among them the bipolar and ASD)) because that implies I'm broken beyond use, at least the way my parents tell it. So I'll officially be retiring early, and 100% being a stay at home dad. I would say I'll be driving the kid to their bowling league (they made the Pepsi somethingorother in our state--a major, MAJOR thing, and have two sponsors! I don't know much about bowling, but I'm learning!), but as an epileptic, I no longer have a valid license.

That's the next hurdle--applying for disability in my state based on epilepsy, ASD, C-PTSD, nerve damage, and a whole *host* of physical issues.

I uh... Didn't see my life going this way 5 years ago. No I did not.

Sorry for the rant.

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
My GAH, and it's a GAH of a GAH.

I've been dealing with this bloody Worker's Comp situation for yonks now, it's nearly done and dusted--i.e. I've got the Final Clincher paperwork ready to go--but there's some... issues with it I'm none too sure about, so I'd like my lawyer to go over them with me, right? So I fire them off the PDF. They call me back *today,* two days before the papers are due, *after* their offices close, saying the file was corrupted, and they've not been able to read it. Lovely.

I go to email them again. 550 Blocked. OK. I try from my Gmail account. 550 blocked. I try from my phone. 550 blocked. I try from my phone. 550 blocked. I call up my tech buddy who works in IT. He explains what's going on. My primary email is Yahoo. There's no reason it should be blocked. But let's face it, right now, the world is in a very not usual situation. I'm trying to send a PDF file to a lawfirm. There's very likely an overzealous IT individual who's set their filters to uh... filter out certain things from free email accounts like Yahoo and Gmail (the only two accounts I have that the firm recognizes at the moment), and as I can send emails to everyone else in the world (hyperbole), it's very very likely on their email server end. Kind of like Yahoo doesn't deal well with Wordpress password reset requests, filters them right out.

That's all well and good, except the Clincher Form is due FRIDAY.

So that means everything is coming down to the very barest of wires. I'm stressed as hell. I could just sign the papers, but again, there's some very, *very* tetchy language in there that...

Why does it matter I have 25+ years experience as an electrician for the purposes of the settlement? That has zilch to do with my injury. Why do they need to know that? Why does my level of education matter? I mean, for all I know, that could be bog basic standard practice on something like this, or I could be about to tell them "yeah, and you lot get my kidney in exchange for the payoff." I DON'T READ LAWYERSPEAK.

Either way, it's nearing the finish line, so the silver lining of it all is that well, I'm going to get a small payout in exchange for having busted my back into a million tiny pieces, having to relearn to walk, and basically, I'm now going to be, let's call it "retiring." I don't like the term "being disabled," (even though that's for all practical purposes what I am now, not just from this, but also from the epilepsy, and all the other neurodivergencies I have (not least among them the bipolar and ASD)) because that implies I'm broken beyond use, at least the way my parents tell it. So I'll officially be retiring early, and 100% being a stay at home dad. I would say I'll be driving the kid to their bowling league (they made the Pepsi somethingorother in our state--a major, MAJOR thing, and have two sponsors! I don't know much about bowling, but I'm learning!), but as an epileptic, I no longer have a valid license.

That's the next hurdle--applying for disability in my state based on epilepsy, ASD, C-PTSD, nerve damage, and a whole *host* of physical issues.

I uh... Didn't see my life going this way 5 years ago. No I did not.

Sorry for the rant.

That's ok, rant away! That's one reason we are all here - for the bad times, as well as the good! I can sympathise, even though my stuff went through like a dream here. Now, I've "migrated" to the Aged Pension (AP) (not that I'm that "aged" - just over 66.5 when the AP kicks in for my age cohort!), and life rolls on just the same. I had my Disability Support Pension paperwork filled in by a clinical psych, not my GP or Ortho Specialist (he just had to add some notes at the end), which made my path so much easier! I'm assuming the process is different over there where you are, and I believe it's tightened up something fierce here now since I went through the process. Good luck with the battle, & I hope it all works out as you wish.