Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 98028 times)

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
Re: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!
« Reply #1575 on: January 29, 2022, 01:23:29 pm »
To recap, I quit my job after being laid off for 17 consecutive weeks (in 2-week increments) because our customer's customer's global supply chain was f***ed up. Two months into the new job, I'm about to be laid off again because our customer's global supply chain is f***ed up.

Say it with me now…
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

rovingjack

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack
    • rovingjack.com
Re: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!
« Reply #1576 on: January 30, 2022, 10:12:52 am »
I've probably made a mistake by participating in reddit group more lately. mostly for things like food, crafts, world building and writing.

In the last 24 hours I posted a writing prompt in the prompt group, about a character that was a short story I started a couple decades back.
Spoiler: ShowHide
Vampire who was turned a century ago, while pregnant and in the time the two can hear each others thoughts and the unborn has grown a cruel cold intellect, almost like being possessed by a demon. And the physical bond makes her more powerful and resilient able to heal rapidly enough that sun can't even kill her.
well the idea was very much disliked and downvoted.

okay, I wrote a story for somebody elses prompt about a pawn that makes it to the other side of the battlefield, did a story about a henchman of a supervillian called the chess king, who reaches the objective of the battle the villian started. It's been pretty much ignored.

And then in the writing group, I tried to start a topic about how there have been and continue to be efforts toward book burnings in our modern world and the desire I have to create works that would be burned by those, expressly because it's important to talk about things that book burners want to make disappear and silence. Half the responses miss the point, suggesting I sounded like I was trying to cause trouble and get glory. The topic itself got down voted into oblivion, and then it was removed after a mod accused me of trolling.

I don't know if I expected too much of a reddit community for writers, haven't communicated clearly, or if just in general am just genuinely exploring things that are so far from peoples experiences that they can't fathom how any of what I'm saying isn't thoughtful exploration of a topic and not just some kid with a keyboard trying to be Xtreeem.

Mostly I'm just disappointed.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Prof Marvel

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Above All Else, Do No Harm
    • Spare Goggles
« Reply #1577 on: January 30, 2022, 09:58:30 pm »
Ah my good RJ
It is reddit
What else can one expect?

It is very difficult to find quality on the web.
Like the SF author said, 90% of everything is crap.
And the more stuff, the more crap..

Prf mrvl
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #1578 on: January 31, 2022, 01:25:38 am »
I've probably made a mistake by participating in reddit group more lately. mostly for things like food, crafts, world building and writing.

In the last 24 hours I posted a writing prompt in the prompt group, about a character... Snip

Reddit groups can be extremely specific about what their interests are, and they won't necessarily indicate their interests well to the public. Do you know the exact nature of their writings? Sounds to me you bumped into a particularly prudish group. Maybe a religious group?

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #1579 on: January 31, 2022, 01:36:49 am »
Here we go again... I'm not worried about the ice, hail or snow, but the integrity of the power grid!

Brace yourself for some nasty winter weather this week that should bring Central Texas much-needed rain — but also a stretch of days with freezing temperatures that might seem a little too reminiscent of last February.

...But forecasters warned that freezing conditions are expected Wednesday night and Thursday across the Hill Country and I-35 corridor.

"Hard freezes in the low teens (> -10 °C)  to low 20s (> -6 °C) are forecast Thursday night and Friday night across all of South-Central Texas," they said in the Sunday bulletin. "Brisk northerly winds will produce bitterly cold wind chill values Thursday and Friday mornings."

https://www.statesman.com/story/weather/2022/01/30/forecast-austin-see-rain-cold-front-extended-freeze-week/9241002002/?utm_source=SND&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=statesman

« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 01:40:04 am by J. Wilhelm »

Prof Marvel

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Above All Else, Do No Harm
    • Spare Goggles
« Reply #1580 on: February 01, 2022, 09:30:54 pm »
Here we go again... I'm not worried about the ice, hail or snow, but the integrity of the power grid!

Oh holy crappola.

I am glad I got our LP tank filled up last week.

Prf mumbles

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
« Reply #1581 on: February 16, 2022, 05:26:05 pm »
So, we decided we needed to work on the bathroom. Dad insisted on doing a little extra. Now, he's recovering from a spell. EMTs were called, but he insisted on staying home *angst and nailbiting on my end*. Right now he's resting at teh kitchen table as I eat my lunch in the other part of the house (it's his preferred place to eat, nap, etc., as he has various muscle and arthritic coinditions that make finding a comfortable position a real cast-iron b!7c4. Mom's with him, says he's breathing normally and resting. I wish I could believe that, but...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1582 on: February 16, 2022, 08:31:38 pm »
To recap, I quit my job after being laid off for 17 consecutive weeks (in 2-week increments) because our customer's customer's global supply chain was f***ed up. Two months into the new job, I'm about to be laid off again because our customer's global supply chain is f***ed up.

Say it with me now…
The saga continues…

My former current employer laid me off the beginning of last week. I immediately called my former former employer and was asked, first, to work Tuesday and Saturday of last week, and then brought back full-time beginning this week, working six nights a week.

Monday of this week, I phoned my agency to inform them of my change in employment. Yesterday (Tuesday) the agency called me back to say that my former current employer (currently my former employer) wanted me back for a week. I respectfully declined.

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #1583 on: February 17, 2022, 12:16:42 am »
I am currently trying to finish one work project to a deadline and set up a new one to a deadline. Work is limiting how many hours I can get staff to work on new projects so it is hard to adequately fill all the roles. Furthermore, I had set up two deputy managers to work with me, both of them very experienced. Yesterday one of them contacted me to say that they couldn't commit the time to my project because they are managing another project, so I'll have one week to find another deputy from a team of staff who I mainly don't know well. At least I have been told that I am in charge of these projects for the rest of the year, but beyond that I don't know.

Meanwhile an old contact has said they may have their own project for me to work on. Not sure where that will go, but a little more longevity would be nice.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1584 on: February 24, 2022, 05:22:22 am »
Father von Corax passed away this evening.

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
« Reply #1585 on: February 24, 2022, 07:06:21 am »
My condolences. I hope it was painless.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Rockula

• Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
  • Nothing beats a good hat.
« Reply #1586 on: February 24, 2022, 11:23:43 am »

You have my condolences.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #1587 on: February 24, 2022, 11:31:36 am »

I’m so sorry to hear this.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #1588 on: February 24, 2022, 01:17:21 pm »

Sad news indeed, condolences my friend.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1589 on: February 24, 2022, 03:29:25 pm »
Thank you all.

Miranda.T

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #1590 on: February 24, 2022, 05:35:07 pm »

I am so sorry to hear that. I lost my father last year (damn Covid), so I know full well it feels like Hell. It's prbably of no consolation, but eventually time does help; you never, ever stop missing them but at least the pain dulls.

Thinking of you,
Miranda.

James Harrison

• Immortal
  • Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences
« Reply #1591 on: February 24, 2022, 08:05:17 pm »

I'm so sorry.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!
    • The Writings of A.J. Smith
« Reply #1592 on: February 24, 2022, 09:12:48 pm »

Condolences mate. I am so sorry.
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
    • Sorontar
« Reply #1593 on: February 24, 2022, 10:45:46 pm »
Sorry to hear that. Best wishes to all.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1594 on: February 25, 2022, 04:01:44 am »
Again, thank you, all of you.

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
    • Sorontar
« Reply #1595 on: February 25, 2022, 05:28:55 am »
My gah is I am doing too much for work. I am trying to finish one project. I am doing all the work but my superior has to sign off on everything, so I have to tell them what to do to sign it off. I am also trying to update documentation for their next project, but that relies on finding copies of old documentation when we only have backups that are looked after by a third party and I have to make a list of what backups I need copies of. I am setting up a new project in the meantime that I have full responsibility for with a team of about 20 staff, some of whom have never worked in this area before.

Oh, and I just said yes to joining another project (part-time) that is exactly what my expertise does well (where as the other projects are just about areas that I am a semi-expert in) but run by another organisation.

Did I mention that none of these are fulltime work, so I have to timesheet all of it, but at least they have to pay me casual rates. My weekend will be filled with designing and recording an instructive video, planning another and preparing a workshop for later next week.

Sorontar

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1596 on: February 25, 2022, 05:48:40 am »
My gah is I am doing too much for work. I am trying to finish one project. I am doing all the work but my superior has to sign off on everything, so I have to tell them what to do to sign it off. I am also trying to update documentation for their next project, but that relies on finding copies of old documentation when we only have backups that are looked after by a third party and I have to make a list of what backups I need copies of. I am setting up a new project in the meantime that I have full responsibility for with a team of about 20 staff, some of whom have never worked in this area before.

Oh, and I just said yes to joining another project (part-time) that is exactly what my expertise does well (where as the other projects are just about areas that I am a semi-expert in) but run by another organisation.

Did I mention that none of these are fulltime work, so I have to timesheet all of it, but at least they have to pay me casual rates. My weekend will be filled with designing and recording an instructive video, planning another and preparing a workshop for later next week.

Sorontar
When my father retired (the second time) he printed off a note which he taped to his office wall, and a copy of which he kept in his wallet. This was to remind him of the proper response to those making demands on his time.

The note said, simply, "No! No! No! No! No!"

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #1597 on: February 26, 2022, 08:07:17 am »

I'm very sorry to hear that. Please accept my condolences.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1598 on: February 26, 2022, 02:31:29 pm »

I'm very sorry to hear that. Please accept my condolences.

Thank you, JW. Everyone's support means a lot to me.

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #1599 on: February 27, 2022, 09:26:22 pm »

Sincere sympathies for your loss, von Corax