The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 21, 2022, 12:13:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 83178 times)
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1525 on: October 24, 2021, 12:21:05 am »

During my layoff, I've been working on a Contact Manager database application for a community group to which I belong. Now I think I've run out of things to do to it.
I know the feeling. I just spent the last 10 weeks copying the 5 carpet pages from the Book of Lindisfarne to fill my time. I've now finished but the laser cutter that is needed to take the next step still isn't working (after 18 months Sad ) so I'm at a loss what to do.

I made a Tudor house out of cardboard... bored now... so bored...
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1526 on: October 25, 2021, 10:14:25 am »

During my layoff, I've been working on a Contact Manager database application for a community group to which I belong. Now I think I've run out of things to do to it.

Write a manual or do a series of how-to videos for it.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1527 on: October 25, 2021, 12:06:31 pm »

Write a manual or do a series of how-to videos for it.

Sorontar

Not THAT bored…
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1528 on: October 25, 2021, 06:52:11 pm »

And my return to work has been put off yet again. Last week I was told I should report for work Nov. 1 because two guys above me in seniority weren't answering the phone. Apparently this morning one of them answered.  Angry

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1529 on: November 01, 2021, 05:00:44 pm »

My microwave oven just died, with much spitting and smoke.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1530 on: November 01, 2021, 05:42:03 pm »

Time for Walmart or Goodwill.

von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1531 on: November 01, 2021, 06:13:26 pm »

Canadian Tire, I think.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1532 on: November 01, 2021, 11:48:43 pm »

Canadian Tire, I think.

Ohhh, Canadian Tire!

When we were in BC we went to a Canadian Tire just to have a look. First surprise - they sell more than just tires! Couldn't believe what a huge place it was and they sold everything.

It was just after Halloween, and they were putting out the Christmas stuff. There was one double sided row which was just wreaths. Just. Wreaths! (For Australians, imagine a big Bunnings only cleaner, and one row going from the front to the back that had nothing on the shelves but wreaths! Every kind of Christmas wreath you could ever imagine! On. Both. Sides! )

I went and asked permission to take a photo, (in my defence, Canadians have guns too...). This caused much laughter and I got; *loudly* "Honey, you take all the photos you want!" (aside; "They're from Australia and thought they needed permission to take a photo! Aren't they cute!") (Again, in my defence, see above...)

It is always fun to see what is in the stores in other countries. That is where you realise just how different they are. (No Cherry Ripes in Canada!) Four rows of snack foods (chips and stuff) in the supermarket.

Other things that were different - no picnic tables along the roads! We couldn't work it out - in Australia, we have picnic tables just off the side of the road all along our roads - sometimes with toilets - where people can take a break from driving. Apparently in Canada they don't do that! We thought it was just bad manners, until someone explained about the bears. (Then it made sense.)

I still have that photo somewhere.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1533 on: November 02, 2021, 12:22:39 am »

I went and asked permission to take a photo, (in my defence, Canadians have guns too...).

In Canada, every citizen has the right to carry a piece of paper stating that he has a gun locked up at home.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1534 on: November 02, 2021, 11:17:06 am »

(No Cherry Ripes in Canada!)

No Violet Crumbles or Polly Waffles, either!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 11:22:16 am by Banfili » Logged
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1535 on: November 04, 2021, 06:53:14 pm »

On again, off again. The new job has been postponed indefinitely.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1536 on: November 06, 2021, 05:50:50 am »

On again, off again. The new job has been postponed indefinitely.
My agency had another opportunity for me, but that one fell through as well. Still, that's two in the same week, which is more than I had had.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« Reply #1537 on: November 08, 2021, 07:02:05 pm »

the worst part of being an adult...is that when you're sick there's nobody there to pamper you and bring you tea.
I hate feeling miserable and realising i'll have to get out of bed if i need something

Passion is like a Peatfire
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1538 on: November 09, 2021, 08:19:21 am »

the worst part of being an adult...is that when you're sick there's nobody there to pamper you and bring you tea.
I hate feeling miserable and realising i'll have to get out of bed if i need something

Take care and get well soon.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1539 on: November 09, 2021, 10:19:53 pm »

Not so much the being an adult bit, Caledonian, but more about being an adult on your own!
Get well soon!
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

« Reply #1540 on: December 03, 2021, 11:25:11 am »

I've spent the last week working 13hr days, 2 hrs drive from where I live putting up a huge glass roof conservatory in Dorset, I'm totally Knackered and rapidly approaching 60, I think it could be time to seriously find another form of employment, I just can not physically do this no break, eat as you work, up at 4.30am home at 7.30pm. Ok it's a one off, but it almost killed me. (one labourer put his back out lifting the glass roof sheets)

Gaaagh, ouch, ache and Zzzzzzzz for a while...........  Roll Eyes

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1541 on: December 03, 2021, 03:18:07 pm »

I've spent the last week working 13hr days, 2 hrs drive from where I live putting up a huge glass roof conservatory in Dorset, I'm totally Knackered and rapidly approaching 60, I think it could be time to seriously find another form of employment, I just can not physically do this no break, eat as you work, up at 4.30am home at 7.30pm. Ok it's a one off, but it almost killed me. (one labourer put his back out lifting the glass roof sheets)

Gaaagh, ouch, ache and Zzzzzzzz for a while...........  Roll Eyes

Usually after the 10th hour, I have no energy. I was happy when the second shop where I worked on Saturdays finally closed, so I could have a proper weekend. Luckily help at the main shop quit, so I could recover the 40 hr week paycheck. Now I can drop dead on Saturday and still have time on Sunday.

But, my commute per day is 3 to 5 hrs. Makes a 40 hr week feel like a 70 hr week. Exploitation jobs, basically.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 03:19:47 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

« Reply #1542 on: December 04, 2021, 12:28:48 pm »

Usually after the 10th hour, I have no energy. I was happy when the second shop where I worked on Saturdays finally closed, so I could have a proper weekend. Luckily help at the main shop quit, so I could recover the 40 hr week paycheck. Now I can drop dead on Saturday and still have time on Sunday.

But, my commute per day is 3 to 5 hrs. Makes a 40 hr week feel like a 70 hr week. Exploitation jobs, basically.

As much as I moan and groan, I should be grateful that I actually still have a job to grumble about and a roof over my head. Many people in current times are left unemployed, relying on benefits, food banks and charity, facing eviction, thanks to Covid and the employers are taking full advantage of the situation, crap money for really crap hours.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1543 on: December 04, 2021, 07:31:19 pm »

As much as I moan and groan, I should be grateful that I actually still have a job to grumble about and a roof over my head. Many people in current times are left unemployed, relying on benefits, food banks and charity, facing eviction, thanks to Covid and the employers are taking full advantage of the situation, crap money for really crap hours.

I mostly agree with you, because of my age. However,on this side of the pond, people are quitting their jobs in droves,looking for better pay.  There's a very severe shortage of workers at all levels across society, because the pandemic made people realize they were earning too little. The purchasing power of the average American has been going down adjusted for inflation since the late 1960s, and the bottom of wage earners saw their inflation adjusted income go down to less than ½ that of their parents and grandparents. Economists are saying that the largest wage increases are happening in bottom wage workers,but at around 15% increase max, that hardly makes up for the 50% wage loss since the 1960s.

It should be no surprise. The job market was due for a correction for more than half a century!! Workers don't want to work for crap wages any longer.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1544 on: December 04, 2021, 09:51:03 pm »

Second year of looking for a specific model of e-reader I used to have here in my country proves fruiteless. They pop-up on ebay every now and then but I can't exactly buy stuff online. :/

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1545 on: December 06, 2021, 07:33:33 pm »

A week after I start with a new employer, my (now) previous employer (who had laid me off in July) called this morning wanting me back. They're offering a nice shift premium, but their current campaign only runs to the end of March, so I think I'll stay where I am.

Still, it's nice to be wanted.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

Above All Else, Do No Harm

« Reply #1546 on: December 06, 2021, 09:12:13 pm »

I mostly agree with you, because of my age. However,on this side of the pond, people are quitting their jobs in droves,looking for better pay.  There's a very severe shortage of workers at all levels across society, because the pandemic made people realize they were earning too little. The purchasing power of the average American has been going down adjusted for inflation since the late 1960s, and the bottom of wage earners saw their inflation adjusted income go down to less than ½ that of their parents and grandparents. Economists are saying that the largest wage increases are happening in bottom wage workers,but at around 15% increase max, that hardly makes up for the 50% wage loss since the 1960s.

It should be no surprise. The job market was due for a correction for more than half a century!! Workers don't want to work for crap wages any longer.

I am constantly intrigued at the triggers of such events. History is full of hints, but still surprises me.

Yhs
Prf mumbles

No Matter How horrible the situation
No Matter How Dark the Times
No Matter How Many We Lose
We Who Remain must Bravely Press On!

RIP Maets ,
Maker of Things
Warrior for Good
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1547 on: December 06, 2021, 09:13:41 pm »

Second year of looking for a specific model of e-reader I used to have here in my country proves fruiteless. They pop-up on ebay every now and then but I can't exactly buy stuff online. :/

What exact tablet thingy are you looking for?
And, if I may so bold and nosey as to I quite, why are you unable to purchase online?

Yhs
Prof mumbles
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1548 on: December 12, 2021, 04:26:54 pm »

And, if I may so bold and nosey as to I quite, why are you unable to purchase online?

Yhs
Prof mumbles

Sony PRS-650 and the reason why I can't purchase online is because my type of bank account doesn't accomodate online purchases.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1549 on: December 12, 2021, 10:47:34 pm »

And, if I may so bold and nosey as to inquire, why are you unable to purchase online?

Yhs
Prof mumbles

Sony PRS-650 and the reason why I can't purchase online is because my type of bank account doesn't accomodate online purchases.

Ah I see. I had hoped I might be able to assist, but Yes I see that model is difficult to find.
And I forgot how difficult international online purchases can be.

I had in the back of my mind the hope that you might be looking for an old Nook.
I have two of those useless things. Once the battery runs down too far, it will not recharge
Any more because it requires the battery to power the smart charging system.

I had delusions of modding the heck out of them, but until I can force charge the battery or disassemble and replace the battery it would be futile.

The only saving grace is that I saved off all the nook books to my laptop, so at least I still have them!

I hate being held hostage by technology

Yhs
Prof mumbles
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: