The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 28, 2022, 11:34:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 83672 times)
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1500 on: August 09, 2021, 01:56:01 am »

mums come down with some bug that has a fever involved. she's have her vaccinations though so hopefully it's not the worst case, though she is edging up on 80, so even if it's a bit of flu or something it can still be bad for her.

I am finding it difficult to hope which way to go - I hope that if your mum does have Covid, that it is a really mild case. If she does have it and it is a mild case, then it could be a good thing, because it means she will be over the worst of it and have even more antibodies to protect her going into the future. Here's hoping she is OK and does well.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1501 on: August 09, 2021, 02:59:01 am »

mums come down with some bug that has a fever involved. she's have her vaccinations though so hopefully it's not the worst case, though she is edging up on 80, so even if it's a bit of flu or something it can still be bad for her.

Best wishes for her! May she recover quickly. I live in fear, for my mom is not vaxxed and she's 70. Luckily she's now in medical care.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1502 on: August 09, 2021, 05:15:50 pm »

My employer's sole customer have extended their "2-week" summer shutdown by yet another two weeks, for a total of 9 (so far.) I will now have been laid off for more than half of 2021.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1503 on: August 09, 2021, 07:25:41 pm »

In other news, three weeks ago I and the rest of a certain oldtime music club's membership were informed that one of our number had been hospitalized with pneumonia and covid, despite having (supposedly) been vacinated-

Two days after our latest meeting, which that person attended.

I've so far come out on the far end of it with no infection; I can only hope that the others, who have yet to respond to queries, can say the same (as I have already stated on here, I have had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine).

Wish me luck for the third (and hopefully final) week of self-isolation, please. On tenterhooks, etc., over here.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 07:30:52 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #1504 on: August 09, 2021, 10:35:00 pm »

My dacha radio has broken down.

The part that is responsible for tuning to medium, long-range, short waves. Sometimes I listen to stations in the evenings that I don't know the language of.

This is not critical. A "daytime" radio station is available.

But this is not the order. We need to look for a repairman and carry this heavy box.

And besides that. I want to buy the same one. But a new radio. A few years ago, they were still sold from army storage. But it's not visible now. This upsets me.

And I also feel sorry to spend money on this rather useless toy.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Cora Courcelle
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #1505 on: August 10, 2021, 04:58:54 pm »

In other news, three weeks ago I and the rest of a certain oldtime music club's membership were informed that one of our number had been hospitalized with pneumonia and covid, despite having (supposedly) been vacinated-

I've so far come out on the far end of it with no infection; I can only hope that the others, who have yet to respond to queries, can say the same (as I have already stated on here, I have had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine).

Wish me luck for the third (and hopefully final) week of self-isolation, please. On tenterhooks, etc., over here.

Wishing you much luck.
Over here isolation is 10 days, so hopefully if no symptoms have shown up in two weeks you'll be ok.  Even if you get it, the Pfizer vaccine is very good at preventing serious illness and hospitalisation in 90% of cases.  Your fellow musician has been very unlucky (yes, I know statistically someone has to be in that other 10%).

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1506 on: August 11, 2021, 02:21:50 am »

I'll wish you the best, but I think you'll be fine. But as Reagan said "Trust but Verify." You needto be careful, suspend the visits for the appropriate time period.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #1507 on: August 17, 2021, 10:57:46 pm »

replacement for the car that blew it's engine in june is now idling hard and the check engine light kicked on, took it for a check and it's throwing code for cylinder misfires detected. so it's at a service center over night because 5 different garages can't do anything all week.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Cora Courcelle
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #1508 on: August 19, 2021, 07:41:59 pm »

At least they found a fault to fix; it's those unexplained and intermittent faults that are the frustrating ones - you know, the ones that never happen when the mechanic is test driving it ...

My own gahhhh today is that our neighbours have come home a day early from their holiday.  This means we've had to turn down the stereo instead of playing our favourite pieces very, very, very loudly, something that we only do when they are away as they are good neighbours and who wants to be upsetting nice people; but there are some things that need more volume ... 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 07:50:29 pm by Cora Courcelle » Logged
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1509 on: August 20, 2021, 05:26:30 am »

Our "2-week" Summer shutdown has just been extended again, from 9 weeks to 11 weeks. I may have to give in and dust off my resumé.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1510 on: August 21, 2021, 03:50:40 pm »

My doctor and my pharmacist have been disagreeing for a month now on the correct dosage for my antidepressants.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1511 on: August 21, 2021, 04:16:21 pm »

My doctor and my pharmacist have been disagreeing for a month now on the correct dosage for my antidepressants.

The pharmacist is not a medical doctor or qualified psychiatrist. Change pharmacy if you can.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1512 on: September 02, 2021, 07:38:26 pm »

Our "2-week" Summer shutdown has just been extended again, from 9 weeks to 11 weeks. I may have to give in and dust off my resumé.
And again, for a total of 13 weeks, due to the ongoing semiconductor crisis.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1513 on: September 03, 2021, 04:46:59 am »

If it makes you feel better, my job situation went south real fast. I'm working alright, but the physical conditions are brutal and I'm constantly exhausted to the point of falling asleep anywhere I lay to rest. Worse my Covid infected boss is coming to work without a mask. I'm one blink away from walking off the job. I've never done that before in over 30 years of adult life.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1514 on: September 17, 2021, 05:52:23 pm »

Two more weeks! (That's 15 and counting!)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1515 on: September 18, 2021, 12:26:56 am »

Two more weeks! (That's 15 and counting!)

You need to go get another job. Don't even bother telling them now. They won't miss you until they're good and ready.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1516 on: October 14, 2021, 04:01:30 pm »

Exactly a week ago I got a callback to work, to start October 18th. A few minutes ago they called again to say the restart had been postponed for another two weeks, and that it might only be one shift.

Definitely time to dust off the resumé and look up the number of my Agency.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1517 on: October 15, 2021, 02:09:46 am »

Exactly a week ago I got a callback to work, to start October 18th. A few minutes ago they called again to say the restart had been postponed for another two weeks, and that it might only be one shift.

Definitely time to dust off the resumé and look up the number of my Agency.

Man! They're treating you like a rag doll  Undecided

Well if it makes you feel better, I just lost Saturdays at my job. The shop in the ghetto is closing for good, sales are not picking up, in spite of the fact that sales normally rise in Fall by 15% and keep that way through winter.

So my workload now goes below 40 hours to 35 in a good week, and I lose two hours of overtime. Equivalent loss 9 hours for the week. I have to go back to rationing food and discretionary expenses, and forget about saving money or paying school loans

I don't know if I can go back to selling stuff online. I'd have to build on Saturdays and Sundays. And October is already gone. Good sales happen in October through end of November. .
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1518 on: October 15, 2021, 02:13:48 am »

To be fair, it's not my employer that's being a dick, it's their ultimate customer, an auto manufacturer in Ingersoll, ON which I shall not name.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1519 on: October 15, 2021, 02:16:49 am »

To be fair, it's not my employer that's being a dick, it's their ultimate customer, an auto manufacturer in Ingersoll, ON which I shall not name.
Still. No job security. At least my job move a couple of months back brought me into production. The only place where I'm sure I won't lose my job (roof over my head, food in my belly, but nothing else) !
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1520 on: October 16, 2021, 02:43:18 am »

Nope, I'm not dead.
I never caught Covid, and just had my Covid Booster shot.

Folks are vaxxed anxd scheduled to get their boosters.

Musically, I jam with a bunch of diehard bluegrassers once a week, and perform monthly for the Dulcimer Society's ZOOM meetings (about five other people do so as well; the home-isolated ZOOMsters say they love having a whole "band" to play along with instead of just one person. I face away from the mic whenplayingthe banjo so as not to overpower it (strummed multistring instruments tend to do that). I hope the suggestions for me to go out in the hall and fifty feet down are just jokes...

Fiddle-wise, they love my playing, even though i'm nowhere near as accomplished as our star fiddler, who still hosts meetings, but unfortunately invjured her hand and can no longer play. teh flute's always  well-received. Teh flute and teh fiddle are single- or double-note instruments, at leas the way I play them, so there's less possibility of overpoweringthe mic; Though inexplicably, my harmonicas also do not tangle up teh sound either (?).

We're back to doing occasional public period performances, though not nearly so many as before, mainly due to event planners not wanting tio risk extra bodies exhaling germs whilst making music (understandable, yet still kind of aggravating  Wink). We always require our musicians to be fully vaxxed, and are masked except in windy outdoor situations where the audience is kept at a safe distance. Oddly, I canplay the harmonica behind a large bandana-folded cloth, but not the flute.

So, I guess the Gaaagghhh here is the relative abnormality of our return to relative normalcy...  Huh
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1521 on: October 16, 2021, 03:16:21 am »

Nope, I'm not dead.

Musically, I jam with a bunch of diehard bluegrassers once a week, and perform monthly for the Dulcimer Society's ZOOM meetings (about five other people do so as well; the home-isolated ZOOMsters say they love having a whole "band" to play along with instead of just one person. I face away from the mic whenplayingthe banjo so as not to overpower it (strummed multistring instruments tend to do that). I hope the suggestions for me to go out in the hall and fifty feet down are just jokes...

Fiddle-wise, they love my playing, even though i'm nowhere near as accomplished as our star fiddler, who still hosts meetings, but unfortunately invjured her hand and can no longer play. teh flute's always  well-received. Teh flute and teh fiddle are single- or double-note instruments, at leas the way I play them, so there's less possibility of overpoweringthe mic; Though inexplicably, my harmonicas also do not tangle up teh sound either (?).

We're back to doing occasional public period performances, though not nearly so many as before, mainly due to event planners not wanting tio risk extra bodies exhaling germs whilst making music (understandable, yet still kind of aggravating  Wink). We always require our musicians to be fully vaxxed, and are masked except in windy outdoor situations where the audience is kept at a safe distance. Oddly, I canplay the harmonica behind a large bandana-folded cloth, but not the flute.

So, I guess the Gaaagghhh here is the relative abnormality of our return to relative normalcy...  Huh

Good to hear. So it's the abnormality of the normality? Or the normality of the abnormality?

Still. No job security. At least my job move a couple of months back brought me into production. The only place where I'm sure I won't lose my job (roof over my head, food in my belly, but nothing else) !

I was listening to a newscast on the current supply chain problems in the US. The entire supply chain or well, anything in the US is all out of whack. Los Angeles Port will start operating 24/7 to try to aleviate the glut of products waiting off shore in containers. There's not enough time and port workers to unload the shipping containers. I hear there's great demand for workers and drivers. Your own auto manufacturer customer customer probably is being forced to stop production due to some other supply chain that is interrupted.

If so, the solution is too move upwards in the supply chain, where there's demand for workers.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1522 on: October 22, 2021, 05:16:01 am »

Nope, I'm not dead.

Good to hear. So it's the abnormality of the normality? Or the normality of the abnormality?

A bit of both, I think.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1523 on: October 23, 2021, 03:41:18 am »

During my layoff, I've been working on a Contact Manager database application for a community group to which I belong. Now I think I've run out of things to do to it.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1524 on: October 23, 2021, 07:12:47 am »

During my layoff, I've been working on a Contact Manager database application for a community group to which I belong. Now I think I've run out of things to do to it.
I know the feeling. I just spent the last 10 weeks copying the 5 carpet pages from the Book of Lindisfarne to fill my time. I've now finished but the laser cutter that is needed to take the next step still isn't working (after 18 months Sad ) so I'm at a loss what to do.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: