The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 18, 2021, 12:33:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 68837 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1325 on: April 01, 2021, 01:08:32 am »

Not my GAAH!, but someone's definitely having a bad day.

Traffic Jam In The Suez Canal; Container Ship Run Aground

Sort of reminds of a dog trying to get through a door with a very large stick in it's mouth. Roll Eyes

Saw that on the telly - how embarrassment for the captain and the pilots!

The worst part about it is that rescue efforts seemed futile for the size of the ship.

SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1326 on: April 02, 2021, 08:49:21 am »

This morning my hot water wasn't exactly very hot, luke warm at best cold at worst.

On further investigation the diverter valve seems to be stuck in my Combi and most of the valuable heat is going to the heating system when a hot tap is turned on.

Ordered a new part from e-bay but until the end of next week no showers or baths, will have to strip wash from the basin filled with the kettle.

Oh, plop!, still, worse things can happen, a week of no hot water I can live with, never the less.
GAAAAAHHHHH!  Roll Eyes

(I used to be a gas fitter so the job should take 2 hours methinks, fingers crossed)

Lukewarm is passable, but not cold water. Did you remove the diverter, or must you go to camping styled shower for the week?
Left it limping along, sometimes tepid is better than cold, it's not until you lose such a simple thing as hot water, you suddenly realize how much you depend on it and expect it to be there on demand. 

morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #1327 on: April 02, 2021, 05:50:36 pm »

Left it limping along, sometimes tepid is better than cold, it's not until you lose such a simple thing as hot water, you suddenly realize how much you depend on it and expect it to be there on demand. 

We understand this every year. When the hot water is turned off in the summer for preventive and repair work on the centralized water supply.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1328 on: April 11, 2021, 05:24:51 am »

I think that this is in the right place?

Moscow's palatial Yeliseyevsky food hall closes after 120 years Sad

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1329 on: April 11, 2021, 05:42:18 am »

There's no link there.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1330 on: April 11, 2021, 06:52:44 am »

Easily found:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56683249
https://www.newyorkglobe.co/2021/04/10/moscows-palatial-yeliseyevsky-food-hall-closes-after-120-years/

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1331 on: April 11, 2021, 07:05:43 am »

Now that's what a supermarket should look like!
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1332 on: April 11, 2021, 02:42:56 pm »

Sorry about the lack of a proper link.  Embarrassed
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #1333 on: April 11, 2021, 07:09:32 pm »

I wanted to go there on Saturday, but I didn't get there. But everyone hopes it's temporary. And it will not be subjected to "restoration".
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #1334 on: April 11, 2021, 10:39:14 pm »

getting over a bout of existential crisis, called my mum to check on her. she seems to be doing okay... but my aunt who had a stroke last year 'is lucky' when she went in for an angiogram they found one artery 99.1 percent blocked, another 78.6 percent blocked and a third artery more than 63 percent blocked. they put in the first of two stents, and will medicate for the third. Many of us seem to be getting through the pandemic but under threat of getting picked off by other threats to our health.

Also saw my first deer tick of the season. yay! parasitic critters that can carry diseases that can wreck your life.

so profound sense of my own mortality, and mild sense of existential dread are back on the menu for the day if not week.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1335 on: April 11, 2021, 10:55:22 pm »

getting over a bout of existential crisis, called my mum to check on her. she seems to be doing okay... but my aunt who had a stroke last year 'is lucky' when she went in for an angiogram they found one artery 99.1 percent blocked, another 78.6 percent blocked and a third artery more than 63 percent blocked. they put in the first of two stents, and will medicate for the third. Many of us seem to be getting through the pandemic but under threat of getting picked off by other threats to our health.

Also saw my first deer tick of the season. yay! parasitic critters that can carry diseases that can wreck your life.

so profound sense of my own mortality, and mild sense of existential dread are back on the menu for the day if not week.
So you're "pandemic fine," then? Wink
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1336 on: April 12, 2021, 12:16:25 pm »

I managed to break my favourite glass yesterday. The sucky part is that it can't be replaced, as the pub I got it from closed down over a decade ago. It's now some hipster rubbish sandwich place.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1337 on: April 13, 2021, 01:55:06 am »

I managed to break my favourite glass yesterday. The sucky part is that it can't be replaced, as the pub I got it from closed down over a decade ago. It's now some hipster rubbish sandwich place.

Hey - my ancestor got transported for taking a tankard from a pub... See you in Australia soon?
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1338 on: April 13, 2021, 09:12:04 am »

Hey - my ancestor got transported for taking a tankard from a pub... See you in Australia soon?

Note where I wrote "got it", not "stole it". It was given to me by the pub owner, as I was a regular customer.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1339 on: April 13, 2021, 09:52:28 am »

I'd risk it for a nice earthenware Seidel / Humpen (i.e. Beer Stein), but not for glass.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1340 on: April 14, 2021, 02:05:20 am »

So you're "pandemic fine," then? Wink
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1341 on: April 14, 2021, 02:52:52 am »

Note where I wrote "got it", not "stole it". It was given to me by the pub owner, as I was a regular customer.

My ancestor was also a regular customer... He was also young, fit and had a trade, so he was given the option of a filthy prison cell or transportation to Australia. That's really what they were looking for - healthy petty thieves who could be bullied into transportation.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1342 on: April 14, 2021, 07:19:58 am »

Well, bloody good thing I neither live in the UK, nor was I born several centuries ago.  Grin
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1343 on: April 15, 2021, 01:28:00 am »

Well, bloody good thing I neither live in the UK, nor was I born several centuries ago.  Grin

Nah... it's not so bad here.  Wink
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1344 on: April 15, 2021, 01:35:57 am »

Well, bloody good thing I neither live in the UK, nor was I born several centuries ago.  Grin

Nah... it's not so bad here.  Wink

I'd be OK with living in Oz except for one thing, and it is a rather big thing (with me):
I'd miss seeing the Big Dipper...lots.

Yes, I know you all have the Southern Cross and the Magellanic Clouds, (the MCs are too cool for words), but I doubt that I would ever get used to the night sky minus old Ursa Major.
And, naturally, I think the B-D superior in beauty (if perhaps just a teensy bit) to the Southern Cross. Wink
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:38:03 am by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1345 on: April 15, 2021, 11:17:50 am »

There are other things I disagree with about Australia, but they are not to be discussed in polite company.  Grin
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1346 on: April 16, 2021, 04:52:50 pm »

I go to bed, and find myself waking up 3 hours later, and unable to fall asleep again. 3 hours after waking I'm laying there exhausted but unable to sleep. I must get up and get ready for work. I'm tired and barely functional for my shift, get back here make something to eat, work on some things, maybe have a panic attack about roof leaks, bugs, or illness in one fashion or another. Try to relax, feel a bit better go to bed with 10 hours before I have to be up, it takes me 1 and a half to fall asleep... and I wake up 3 hours later unable to fall back asleep. I might after a few hours get 3 more hours, I might not.

Every now and then I get an okay day of sleep in there.

this is driving me mad.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1347 on: April 16, 2021, 11:40:59 pm »

Well, bloody good thing I neither live in the UK, nor was I born several centuries ago.  Grin

I'd be OK with living in Oz except for one thing, and it is a rather big thing (with me):

Yes, I know you all have the Southern Cross and the Magellanic Clouds, (the MCs are too cool for words), but I doubt that I would ever get used to the night sky minus old Ursa Major.
And, naturally, I think the B-D superior in beauty (if perhaps just a teensy bit) to the Southern Cross. Wink

"For Southern Hemisphere dwellers who want to see the Big Dipper, you must go north of latitude 25 degrees South to see it in its entirety. Across the northern half of Australia, for instance, you can now just see the upside-down Dipper virtually scraping the northern horizon about an hour or two after sundown."

So, you can see the Big Dipper from Oz! So, LukeHogbin, pack yer bags!!
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1348 on: April 17, 2021, 02:04:56 am »

"For Southern Hemisphere dwellers who want to see the Big Dipper, you must go north of latitude 25 degrees South to see it in its entirety. Across the northern half of Australia, for instance, you can now just see the upside-down Dipper virtually scraping the northern horizon about an hour or two after sundown."

Ummmm.... pax Banfil, but an inverted Dipper just scraping the horizon for a couple of hours, quite simply, will not do. Sad

Where I am I can see it every night of the year, weather permitting.
And since the AZ deserts have about 300 cloudless, or nearly cloudless, days per year, there are not too many nights where I can't see it at some point circling Polaris (the North Star).

And...AND ....just north of me about a mile or so is the beginning of the Pima Indian (i.e. Native American) reservation on which there are almost no light producing (and star gazing destroying) structures.
And north and east of the Rez, and also 20 miles due east of me is Tonto National Forest, so no lights there at all.  

What all this means  is that despite living well inside (on 2 sides, West and South of me) the 10th largest metro area in the US , I am lucky enough to have more than 1/3 of the night sky fairly dark, at least for a huge metro area.
I can even see the Milky Way, especially in winter, after midnight.

So I shant be moving south anytime soon, at least not willingly.
However, that doesn't rule out visiting Oz and/or NZ.
I should very much like to see the Magellanic Clouds and the Southern Cross, and all the Southern Hemisphere constellations and deep space objects that are not the least bit visible from my latitude.  

"Under the wide and starry sky
                                      Dig the grave and let me lie..."

--from Requiem by RLS  

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:48:58 am by Deimos » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1349 on: April 17, 2021, 12:10:13 pm »

Ummmm.... pax Banfil, but an inverted Dipper just scraping the horizon for a couple of hours, quite simply, will not do. Sad

Where I am I can see it every night of the year, weather permitting.
And since the AZ deserts have about 300 cloudless, or nearly cloudless, days per year, there are not too many nights where I can't see it at some point circling Polaris (the North Star).

And...AND ....just north of me about a mile or so is the beginning of the Pima Indian (i.e. Native American) reservation on which there are almost no light producing (and star gazing destroying) structures.
And north and east of the Rez, and also 20 miles due east of me is Tonto National Forest, so no lights there at all.  

What all this means  is that despite living well inside (on 2 sides, West and South of me) the 10th largest metro area in the US , I am lucky enough to have more than 1/3 of the night sky fairly dark, at least for a huge metro area.
I can even see the Milky Way, especially in winter, after midnight.

So I shant be moving south anytime soon, at least not willingly.
However, that doesn't rule out visiting Oz and/or NZ.
I should very much like to see the Magellanic Clouds and the Southern Cross, and all the Southern Hemisphere constellations and deep space objects that are not the least bit visible from my latitude.  

"Under the wide and starry sky
                                      Dig the grave and let me lie..."

--from Requiem by RLS  

Under the wide and starry sky,
    Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
    And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you grave for me:
    Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.

One of my favourites! Also,

Sea Fever  BY JOHN MASEFIELD

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:12:10 pm by Banfili » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: