The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 18, 2021, 12:30:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 68836 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1300 on: March 13, 2021, 10:59:18 am »

Historic snowfalls, flash flooding and tornadoes affecting 20 million Americans from the Rockies to the Mississippi River Valley will make travel 'impossible' over the weekend. This slow-moving system could produce the biggest snowfall in decades for the eastern Rockies and western Plains through the weekend. Two feet and even three feet of snow expected in parts of Colorado and Wyoming.

A severe threat is also expected to develop Friday across parts of western Texas and western Oklahoma, as a cluster of strong to severe storms with embedded supercells is forecast to move northeastward from the vicinity of Lubbock into the southeastern Texas Panhandle during the early to mid-evening," said the Storm Prediction Center. "In addition to large hail, wind damage will also be a possibility with the stronger cells within this cluster.

CNN: 'Impossible travel conditions' as spring storm delivers historic snow and severe storms.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/12/weather/snow-storm-travel-rockies-central-plains/index.html

Texas:  "See what I can do now?"
Colorado: "Pffft! You have much to learn. Hold my beer... And hold on to your hat! "

Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1301 on: March 13, 2021, 11:02:08 am »

And Arizona will be hit with.....none of it.
Or very little of it, and certainly not where it is most needed.

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
FallenFantasy174
Deck Hand
Scotland Scotland

All that we see or seem

« Reply #1302 on: March 13, 2021, 06:03:29 pm »

It has started to snow at mine again and.... I just can't handle more snow.

These are pictures of the snow we had in Febuary:

That snow's not even fully gone yet and it's been snowing again. I just can't cope with the idea of it. It's highly unlikely to last for long but the idea of it is sending me spiraling.

The wood shed's destroyed from last time, the roof above my bedroom has sunk enough to let the wind rattle around our hollow uninsulated walls, water is dripping into my bedroom and I have a broken window.

The old goblin Laird died recently and the new solicitors are freaking out over how illegal all the rented houses are, which also means they're trying to ignore all the problems this winter has causes the houses......who knows they may have to instal smoke alarms or something if they look too close.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1303 on: March 13, 2021, 07:24:10 pm »

Snow is no longer real to me.
I see it (from a distance) on the mountains, I hear about, read about it, see pictures (such as yours FallenFantasy), but it may as well be a totally imaginary phenomenon.
Now heat, on the other hand, searing, withering, blast-furnace heat..... that is very real to me.    
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1304 on: March 13, 2021, 07:54:13 pm »

We can send you a "care package" of hailstones via FedEx. Then you can simulate the event by throwing the hailstones at your car, make a couple of dents, and maybe break a window. You can then go to your insurance adjustors and claim that a "Texan Travelling super-cell dropped rained hail only over your car.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1305 on: March 13, 2021, 08:11:43 pm »

In other news, I'm already having discussions about mask requirements with customers. Not everyone has heard that that a state judge successfully prevented an emergency injunction request by the State of Texas to stop all City of Austin mask requirements.

People are not smart enough to realize that private businesses can establish their own rules as they see fit.

I just want to get my vaccine, because things are getting ugly.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 08:13:18 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
FallenFantasy174
Deck Hand
Scotland Scotland

All that we see or seem

« Reply #1306 on: March 14, 2021, 12:35:39 am »

We can send you a "care package" of hailstones via FedEx. Then you can simulate the event by throwing the hailstones at your car, make a couple of dents, and maybe break a window. You can then go to your insurance adjustors and claim that a "Texan Travelling super-cell dropped rained hail only over your car.

I can provide spears of ice should desire something that'll cause a little more damage.
AnnaElizabeth
Deck Hand

Either you believe in yourself, or you don't

« Reply #1307 on: March 14, 2021, 12:52:27 am »

@J Wilhelm - I had to go for some imaging today, we're getting some rain and snow here in Southern Colorado but nothing to worry about.

I was complimented on my mask-style by the CT Technologist. I've been having health issues, last month I was in the ER and I found that my blood oxygen levels are the same breathing through a thick cloth mask as without one.

Masking and staying in mostly are the things I can do to help prevent the spread of COVID. I'll get vaccinated as soon as my age group is eligible.

I've had two friends whom I met through the internet die of COVID-19. I am very weary of the deniers, the people carping about their "rights", and the like. I'd like to hear more about all of us acting on our responsibilities as citizens, and to our fellow human beings. I hope you can stay safe.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1308 on: March 14, 2021, 02:29:02 am »

@J Wilhelm - I had to go for some imaging today, we're getting some rain and snow here in Southern Colorado but nothing to worry about.

I was complimented on my mask-style by the CT Technologist. I've been having health issues, last month I was in the ER and I found that my blood oxygen levels are the same breathing through a thick cloth mask as without one.

Masking and staying in mostly are the things I can do to help prevent the spread of COVID. I'll get vaccinated as soon as my age group is eligible.

I've had two friends whom I met through the internet die of COVID-19. I am very weary of the deniers, the people carping about their "rights", and the like. I'd like to hear more about all of us acting on our responsibilities as citizens, and to our fellow human beings. I hope you can stay safe.

Well today I learned I'm definitely not safe from our customers. Without asking, a middle age man, a construction worker, told me that he will not get the vaccine nor wear a mask, as he thinks that medicine is a scam to make people sick so they can cure them later (like a crooked mechanic  Cheesy), and has been since the time of the Egyptians (!). As proof he gave me an anecdote that as a young man he fell off a building and broke multiple bones and a hip, and got told he'd never walk again, But he took off the casts and now walks, thanks to the "power of his mind." Given his age, I'd be very surprised if Mr. Superman doesn't get sick and die before the end of the year.

I told him to wear his mask, which he pulled just under his nose while he used about half an hour to tell me about his mental powers. I'm not backing down, even if I get fired. I've come too far without getting sick, and I'm eligible starting on Monday. I'll be damned if I'm going to die in the last yard of the gridiron!

About 1 mile from where I live there's an avenue with multiple shopping centers. You can start to see groups of 100 of more in close proximity without protection sitting at restaurants, The next two weeks are going to be pure dynamite. And let's not forget that Austin is a college town with a little something called "Sixth Street" (google it if you have to) and this happiness to be Spring Break + St. Patrick's Day.

Another customer, another construction worker told me that an employee *in a pharmacy* told him it would be OK to take the mask off, as the mandate was lifted..."

Me thinks, I'll avoid going to my local pharmacy to get the shot this year. Someone behind the counter might have "strong ideas" about vaccines, and be keeping the vaccines warm on a hot plate...  Roll Eyes

Cheers, Hook 'em Horns! Let's die for Texas!!

A little less deadly because we missed South X Southwest 2020, and 2021 which happens... you guessed it, on Spring Break, with hundreds of thousands of people converging from all over the world.

PS. Oh yes, I forgot. The City of Austin still has the mask mandate, but was sued by the State of Texas, and the State asked the court system for an "Emergency Injunction" to suppress the City's mandate. The judge sided with the City, and denied the injunction pending further action at the end of the month (the judge probably saw the Spring Breakers, or has children themself). That's not stopping anyone from being an anal retentive to front desk employees, though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 02:41:33 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1309 on: March 14, 2021, 02:51:32 am »

I can provide spears of ice should desire something that'll cause a little more damage.

Nothing like an ice stalactite through the roof of your car to convince the insurance adjuster.
AnnaElizabeth
Deck Hand

« Reply #1310 on: March 14, 2021, 03:51:20 am »

I have willpower myself. Three years ago I had my immune system rip the myelin off of my spinal column in the lumbar region. Cause still unknown. I was paralyzed from the navel down. I spent a month in hospital, another month in rehabilitation learning to walk again, and half of 2018 in a wheelchair. I'm at around 85% of what I had before my illness. But it was science and medicine that got me to the point where my willpower and determination to recover made a difference.

Superstition and denial may yet be the death of us all. I shudder to think of the coming surges of cases in the states like Texas that have ended mask mandates.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1311 on: March 14, 2021, 05:25:52 am »

I have willpower myself. Three years ago I had my immune system rip the myelin off of my spinal column in the lumbar region. Cause still unknown. I was paralyzed from the navel down. I spent a month in hospital, another month in rehabilitation learning to walk again, and half of 2018 in a wheelchair. I'm at around 85% of what I had before my illness. But it was science and medicine that got me to the point where my willpower and determination to recover made a difference.

Superstition and denial may yet be the death of us all. I shudder to think of the coming surges of cases in the states like Texas that have ended mask mandates.
  Ugh! Sorry to hear that.You never know what's going to happen.That's why we need to stop it as soon as possible. There's a lot of weird stuff we've never seen following this virus.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1312 on: March 15, 2021, 04:16:57 am »

Transverse myelitis? Auto immune disease...sorry to hear that as I guess there is no cure, just some means to prevent a recurrance. 
AnnaElizabeth
Deck Hand

« Reply #1313 on: March 15, 2021, 04:25:01 am »

Thank you.

The official diagnosis is "myelitis, unspecified". The times I've seen doctors or been in the ER since, doctors read my chart and say "Wow."
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1314 on: March 15, 2021, 12:33:53 pm »

I was the 24/7 palliative caretaker of my mother and all I can say is... if I never see our central hospital it will have been all too soon.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1315 on: March 21, 2021, 06:16:58 am »

This might be an interesting dollop of news-stuff...

Due to my nacent snark and other character flaws, I have been given a project: fix the bathroom exhaust fan in our front bathroom. Sounds simple, right? Welll...
Things to be done before the actual project begins:
1. Get vaccinated with the second dose of Pfizer vaccine, and recuperate from the predicted adverse effects thereof.
2. Help Mom and Dad through same.
3. Whilst recovering from said side effects, accumulate and/or fabricate from scratch, parts of
   a. The floor to be added to the existing maintenance-path/storage flooring in the attic in the area of both the fan itself and the path that the new duct itself is
       supposed to follow, starting at the edge of the aforementioned existing attic flooring, as ceiling sheetrock and plasterwork is not sufficient to hold my own or in
       fact anyone's personal weight. Last thing we need is 260 pounds of MW breaking through the ceiling.
   b. The supports for said floor(as the rafter stringers are merely 2x6s set on edge and thus are not sufficient to hold the individual pieces of wood flooring of
       whatever kind becomes necessary/we can afford), as it will have to be done piecemeal over time, since I can not be up in the horrifically hostile environment of
       the attic for more than perhaps an hour at a time, due to healt and heat-related problems (we've waited for our various health and othe rissues to rectify
       themselves, so we have almost waited too late into the spring season to avoid wiorking in the heat of the warming days.
   c. The ducting itself, which has to be put together in pieces, as it has to jink around, over and under rafter supports, clusters of pipes, wiring, and A/C
       components, etc.
   d. make a better scabbard for my Iphone sp that Ican carry it into the attic with me in case I do myself a catstrophic injury and need assistance (which Dad and Mom
       will be unable to proveide due to their advanced ages and physical condition). Yes, I knkow, everybody carries them in their back pocket or fromnt pocket or
       wherever thesed ays, but I tend to squeeze things out of my pockets, and I have a bad habit of actually resting my full weight on both glutes when sitting.

Then, once we're all recuperated, I will begin working in the attic on the next stage of the project. Putting in the flooring, first of all. No, that's not really as simple as it sounds. A bit of a hassle, to put it lightly.

Aaand then, once the floor is all there (probably a matter of at the very least a couple of weeks if I work every chance I get at it, while doing just about every other physical thing around the house and yard that I can pry out of Dad's hands before he hurts himself, and taking care of him when i'm not in time to do so), I'll be crouching around on said working floor and installing the ductwork, and attaching it to the (thankfully) already existing butterfly vent to the outside of the house. I can't crouch very well these days, and my feet and legs don't like to work properly in such conditions, hence the need for the floor, so that at least I don't need to balance on the edges of the ceiling joists while working.

All of this to be done in the relative cool of morning, which means that it may in fact take a year or longer to complete, due to my various existing health concerns (bad back, respiratory problems [mainly chronic hayfever and an annoying allergy to airborne particulates, for which I will be wearing a cartridge mask, which of course makes the heat angle that much more of an issue, wouldn't you just know] and also other health and back issues, etc.) and etc.).

Sounds like I'm complaining and wishing I'd kept my mouth shut, right?

Nope.

I actually enjoy work like this (Come on, you all already knew that I was crazy, don't look at me like that!  Cheesy ). Have to wait and see if I still love it a month into it, lol...

And besides, it has to be done so that my and others' showers will stop setting off the smoke/heat/Carbon Monoxide alarm that a certain person recently installed across from the door to said bathroom (Nope, wasn't me). I can endure lukewarm showers (some folks these days don't even have that!), but nobody wants to wake up the entire neighborhood at 11PM when they take a shower.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 06:44:48 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #1316 on: March 21, 2021, 07:17:08 am »

Got mad enough I could have bit the heads off carriage bolts. Nearly put my jacket on and walked to my car and drove away in the middle of a double shift.

1) Manager from another store filling in for the boss who is out with a heart attack, coming to the back up register a long time after I call for back up... and an hour after my first 10 minute break should have been: "Do you want to take your half hour lunch now?"
me: 'No, it's too early for me too eat if I'm going to be here for a double shift. And I'll need to get groceries from here since I won't get out before everything else is closed, and I'd rather use my lunch for that close to when we close so it doesn't sit in the car for more than an hour.' and realising she stopped listening after no.
Her: You can go on your lunch now, that makes it work better for everyone. (there literally is just me, her and the manager I'll be closing with, working today).

2) Two hours later Shes gone and it's just me and the other manager left. Other Manager ansers the phone and takes an order of balloons for the next day, as I hear the whole conversation.
Her to herself: 'I've got to remember to make that order of balloons before we leave tonight'
Her to me: {name}

I turned and looked at her. Now this might seem like a weird tangent, but it's relevant.
I'm one of those folks that can remember word for word a conversation days ago, and exactly where I saw a thing once on my way past. I can focus like a laser and am borderline compulsive about making sure things are done that need doing.

She then says to me in the most condescending tone I've been talked to by anyone at this job: {name} I need you to focus on me. Focus right here (pointing at her eyes), I need you you pay attention and...

Me: 'Do Not Speak To Me Like That.' (no snarl, no heat or terseness. Just level even locked eyes, and cold crisp certainty in my tone that a line has been crossed).

You could see the moment of 'WTF just happened' in her face as she tried to reassemble what she was trying to do.

Me like nothing has happened: (Quote the balloon order back to her and that she needs to remember it before we close) I'm going to break down the cardboard from the cases I stocked and then in about 45 minutes Sweep the floors before close. Like we discussed an hour ago.

3) Me: I need to see my schedule for this coming week {literally tomorrow through a week from today}(I should have a schedule for the next two weeks, but these fools never seem to get that through their heads).
MoD: I don't know that we can do that right now.
Me: Right, so I'll just show up when I feel like it.
MoD: What was that?
Me: If you cannot tell me when my next shift is, then I'll just show up when I feel like coming in.
MoD: I'll see if I can print something out for you after my break.
-two hours later- hands me a folded paper. It has another surprise double shift later in the week, and they've scheduled me for my non-available tuesday, which I've made it quite clear are for my medical appointments and have never worked and will never work a tuesday for them.
Me: I don't work tuesdays, you know it and they have it in writing.
MoD- You'll have to contact {the District Manager} but he's off tomorrow (sunday) he's able to set the schedule.

But, whew, they just about lost half their f Lips sealed ing workers (aka me because two have quit in the last month, they fired another manager a month and a half ago for complaining about this sort of treatment. Ones out with covid, the store manager is out with a heart attack, One of the other managers has another job and only works a day a week and was training the one out with covid to take his place. one person working my job only works 2 shifts a week and the only other person doing my work was a great worker (we got along great because we f Lips sealed ing carry that store) burnt out and went and got an old job back, switching to a single shift per week at our job as a trial basis before deciding if she's gonna leave completely. They've literally had to call in managers from neighboring cities to cover managment and grunt work shifts.

and no matter the assertions that they are trying to hire new folks, it won't amount to anything useful, cuz there are 4 stores within 300 meters that pay a base rate of $15/ hour, which is about double what we get paid. and those jobs have far less BS in them.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1317 on: March 22, 2021, 11:37:31 am »

My desktop machine is pretty much dead. Something went tits up with the motherboard's power rail and the darn thing refuses to boot. So guess who's in the market for a new mobo, cpu and ram.

Also guess who doesn't have the money for a new mobo, cpu and ram.

So for the foreseeable future I am stuck with using my 17 y/o machine for *very basic* web stuff and my Kindle Fire for the rest.

Somebody please shoot me.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1318 on: March 22, 2021, 12:28:20 pm »

Sorry Luke, our laws don'r permit us to shoot people!!
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #1319 on: March 22, 2021, 02:20:20 pm »

Sorry Luke, our laws don'r permit us to shoot people!!

Unless it's out of a cannon, and or into a volcano.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1320 on: March 25, 2021, 06:57:01 pm »

Not my GAAH!, but someone's definitely having a bad day.

Traffic Jam In The Suez Canal; Container Ship Run Aground

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1321 on: March 26, 2021, 10:27:51 am »

Sort of reminds of a dog trying to get through a door with a very large stick in it's mouth. Roll Eyes

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1322 on: March 26, 2021, 12:12:50 pm »

Sort of reminds of a dog trying to get through a door with a very large stick in it's mouth. Roll Eyes

Saw that on the telly - how embarrassment for the captain and the pilots!
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1323 on: March 31, 2021, 12:44:14 pm »

This morning my hot water wasn't exactly very hot, luke warm at best cold at worst.

On further investigation the diverter valve seems to be stuck in my Combi and most of the valuable heat is going to the heating system when a hot tap is turned on.

Ordered a new part from e-bay but until the end of next week no showers or baths, will have to strip wash from the basin filled with the kettle.

Oh, plop!, still, worse things can happen, a week of no hot water I can live with, never the less.
GAAAAAHHHHH!  Roll Eyes

(I used to be a gas fitter so the job should take 2 hours methinks, fingers crossed)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1324 on: April 01, 2021, 01:05:59 am »

This morning my hot water wasn't exactly very hot, luke warm at best cold at worst.

On further investigation the diverter valve seems to be stuck in my Combi and most of the valuable heat is going to the heating system when a hot tap is turned on.

Ordered a new part from e-bay but until the end of next week no showers or baths, will have to strip wash from the basin filled with the kettle.

Oh, plop!, still, worse things can happen, a week of no hot water I can live with, never the less.
GAAAAAHHHHH!  Roll Eyes

(I used to be a gas fitter so the job should take 2 hours methinks, fingers crossed)

Lukewarm is passable, but not cold water. Did you remove the diverter, or must you go to camping styled shower for the week?
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: