The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 06, 2021, 11:25:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 66707 times)
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1250 on: February 17, 2021, 08:46:32 am »

so
i've been walking around with horrendous back pain for MONTHS now and i finally decided to call a doctor
was referred to a physiotherapist...and they denied me telling me i didnt "meet the criteria for urgency"

i don't know what kind of insane criteria they have
because i can't stand for more than 10 minutes, or it feels like someone is slamming a knife in my back. it makes me cry. i can't properly shower because by the time i am undressed and the thing is warm im already in pain. i can't go to the store because of pain. i can't go outside on a walk, however much i'd want to because it was a beautiful day today.
but it's not urgent. nevermind that i am basically room bound right now. what is this nonsense!?
About 10 years ago I picked up a heavy chop saw and something popped in my lower back, couldn't move for 30mins. Ever since I have re-occuring pops which can be crippling. saw the quack and just gave me naproxen. Pain killers just hide what is really going on.
I do back stretches EVERY morning and haven't had a problem for almost a year now apart from a constant niggly ache. Heres a video of basically what i do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VuLBYrgG94
It really does help, so maybe try some gently to start.
I really feel for you!
Iv'e found a back support belt ( i use a leather weight lifting belt) can also be of benefit.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 08:53:14 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1251 on: February 17, 2021, 09:49:09 am »

About  10 years ago I picked up a heavy chop saw and something popped in my lower back, couldn't move for 30mins. Ever since I have re-occuring pops which can be crippling. saw the quack and just gave me naproxen. Pain killers just hide what is really going on.
I do back stretches EVERY morning and haven't had a problem for almost a year now apart from a constant niggly ache. Heres a video of basically what i do.
I really feel for you!
Iv'e found a back support belt ( i use a leather weight lifting belt) can also be of benefit.

Over the years my back has taken a lot of wear and tear, mostly from sports, but I finally really hurt it when I lifted something incorrectly.
It "resolved" itself over next 4 months or so, but I had to give up running, had to alter how I do certain strokes (swimming) and how much I could lean forward while riding a bike. It stayed pretty quiet for 18 years, with only an occasional ache.

Then it just went nuts  (2010) and within 6 months I had to have back surgery--fusion L5-S1, titanium hardware---best thing I ever did.
No more back pain. Still have to be careful with all those activities, tho'.  
L4 occasionally lets me know when I've done something I shouldn't have, but I pretty much have my life back.

And, like you, I do back exercises; there are 4 of them, do them every 3rd day.
And I walk a lot, even with the pandemic. (AZ has no rules forbidding walking, no time limits)  
But my back was healthy enough that I was able to do a Rim-to-Rim hike (North to South) of the Grand Canyon on my 60th birthday....14.5 miles down, 11.5 miles out.
Carried a 25 lb pack (half of it water  Grin), and it didn't bother me at all.
(Except I was really, really tired when I finished it. Wink)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 09:52:48 am by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1252 on: February 17, 2021, 09:57:23 am »

About  10 years ago I picked up a heavy chop saw and something popped in my lower back, couldn't move for 30mins. Ever since I have re-occuring pops which can be crippling. saw the quack and just gave me naproxen. Pain killers just hide what is really going on.
I really feel for you!

Over the years my back has taken a lot of wear and tear, mostly from sports, but I finally really hurt it when I lifted something incorrectly.
It "resolved" itself over next 4 months or so, but I had to give up running, had to alter how I do certain strokes (swimming) and how much I could lean forward while riding a bike. It stayed pretty quiet for 18 years, with only an occasional ache.

Then it just went nuts  (2010) and within 6 months I had to have back surgery--fusion L5-S1, titanium hardware---best thing I ever did.
No more back pain. Still have to be careful with all those activities, tho'.  
L4 occasionally lets me know when I've done something I shouldn't have, but I pretty much have my life back.

And, like you, I do back exercises; there are 4 of them, do them every 3rd day.
And I walk a lot, even with the pandemic. (AZ has no rules forbidding walking, no time limits)  
But my back was healthy enough that I was able to do a Rim-to-Rim hike (North to South) of the Grand Canyon on my 60th birthday....14.5 miles down, 11.5 miles out.
Carried a 25 lb pack (half of it water  Grin), and it didn't bother me at all.
Funnily enough, one of the most frustrating things was the simple task of putting on a pair of socks, my gawd, so awkward and could take up to 10 minutes because of the pain  Roll Eyes
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1253 on: February 17, 2021, 10:52:52 am »

Good grief! Now this. Lucky I'm charging my cellphone. I don't know what we'll do for heat if we get out power cut off, though...

Well, Texas has been on the news down here now for a few days - it sounds pretty bad - hope you are OK!

So... I guess I'll have to eat my own words. Things got pretty rough quickly, but not because of the weather, but rather because of how our electric network dealt with the weather. Bottom line. Some people blamed it on wind turbines freezing. Others say it was a sudden shortage of natural gas and other combustible. When the turbines stopped, injectors and other machinery were frozen solid and they had a hard time restarting enough plants to supply demand (opinion from University of Texas). Apparently wind turbines provide a small minority of power, but until the power company comes clean, we're all guessing.

On Monday morning and noon it was a beautiful day after all night snowing. It was cold but the snow powdery and a gorgeous day. The problem came at 5pm when power was shut down. At first we thought it was a "rolling blackout," as in the wee hours of the morning we were promised one by the authorities on account the system was overloaded and reaching maximum capacity.

The problem is that it was not a rolling blackout, but rather a catastrophic loss of power in the network, as I explained. Mind you, by then my cellphones were nearly empty of power. The water heater in spite of being a gas heater, won't operate without electricity (don't ask me). There is no land-line (telephone) as we all depend on cellular phones, which all predictably ran out of power simultaneously, because fate.

The temperature outside dropped down from - 6 C (21F) to about - 12C (10F) some people say temperature in some parts of town went to -17 C (0F).The temperature indoors dropped to a reasonable 10C (50F). Not deadly, but uncomfortable.

Learning overnight through a battery operated radio that this was no planned blackout, I ventured the next morning to the closest Walmart on foot. A couple of miles, a distance I easily cover at least 4 times a week. I made a pair of snow shoes by taking an old pair of boots and used 3/4 inch (around 1cm) hex-head screws all around the perimeter of the boot as makeshift cleats. Which by the way worked wonderfully over ice.

The problem is that under every footstep or tyre thread, the snow compacted and melted under the sun to make a chunky thick crust of ice. In the morning that was not a problem, and under the sun it got quite hot inside my clothes, like walking in 35C weather. So I enjoyed my walk to... An empty store. Which was closed without previous announcement.

The snow was 14 cm (5-½ in) over flat pavement, but could be as much as 10 inches or 12 (30 cm) over the curb of a garden, to give you an idea. One time Ifekk fell because I stuck a foot In a sunken planter outside of a burger joint  Roll Eyes. But the cleats held like a cat on velcro over ice... uunless the ice was hydroplaning over melted snow  Roll Eyes Gave me a couple of scares but didn't fall..

All well and good, but I had to return home, and go by a hardware shop to see if I could buy some gas powered implement to heat food and maybe batteries to jury rig a phone charger. The ice had by then been compacted into "rocks" over the driveways of businesses, and walking became much more difficult because these were very irregular large chunks of ice. Just like waking over volcanic rock around a volcano, or waking over large river rocks , if anyone of you have ever done that. By then the weather was turning.

So I get to the hardware shop, and tthere's 4 managers tending a line of about 100 people (what's "distancing"?). All generators gone, all heating implements gone. Some Mexican American customers buying a gas powered deep fryer (I guess they ate "Carnitas" tonight). By then I noticed that fluorescent light one of my eyes looked purple. I have an old eye injury whereby one of my irises (the colored part of the eye) is torn, and thus I have a large eccentric pupil in one of my eyes. I quickly recognized the effect of snow blindness. So I had to go back home to get sunglasses and report my failure to the roommates. Trying to walk in the shade, about a mile and a half.

After returning my roommates were busy cleaning the refrigerator, because when the Titanic is sinking, it's time to do Spring Cleaning. Actually they did that after taking all the food in the refrigerator outside, for obvious reasons (saved our food). So took a bite to eat and returned to the street donning a cheap pair of sunglasses. The weather had turned by now, but I wanted to charge my phone to let my mom know I was OK and be able to communicate with my boss. The entire streets now were covered in a dirty river of solid ice boulders, much more difficult to walk over. A few people were cracking the river of ice with their sliding cars and gracefully skating like a ballerina in between ice boulders. But the cleats held. Waited in line for 20 minutes in line to buy two batteries and a 12V USB charger (the voltage regulator inside lets you connect any battery over 9V up to 24V to a 5V USB device. You can choose your batteries as you see fit).

So I return home with my golden nuggets and a a carton of Coca-Cola, after crossing the road-brine Klondike, only to discover that power has been restored. We still don't know for how long we'll have power. I promptly showered. Word is that they haven't fixed the problem. Ice storm outside and more snow coming on Thursday. Me losing $100 for every day I can't work ($100 lost so far) likely another lost day on Thursday. On a "short month" (February). Good luck paying the rent this month.

So that was my Valentine's, plus Monday and Tuesday.  Undecided Cheesy

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1254 on: February 17, 2021, 10:59:31 am »

so
i've been walking around with horrendous back pain for MONTHS now and i finally decided to call a doctor
was referred to a physiotherapist...and they denied me telling me i didnt "meet the criteria for urgency"

because i can't stand for more than 10 minutes, or it feels like someone is slamming a knife in my back. it makes me cry. i can't properly shower because by the time i am undressed and the thing is warm im already in pain. i can't go to the store because of pain. i can't go outside on a walk, however much i'd want to because it was a beautiful day today.
but it's not urgent. nevermind that i am basically room bound right now. what is this nonsense!?
About 10 years ago I picked up a heavy chop saw and something popped in my lower back, couldn't move for 30mins. Ever since I have re-occuring pops which can be crippling. saw the quack and just gave me naproxen. Pain killers just hide what is really going on.
I really feel for you!

Yep. The quick fix is Naproxen Sodium. It's an analgesic at 220 mg and à powerful anti-inflammatory at 550 mg or above. You might want to try that while you get diagnosed. At 220 mg it's over-the-counter (no prescription) in the United States (marketed under the brand "Aleve." It's an old man's best friend and an athlete's buddy.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1255 on: February 17, 2021, 12:31:13 pm »

so

I really feel for you!

Yep. The quick fix is Naproxen Sodium. It's an analgesic at 220 mg and à powerful anti-inflammatory at 550 mg or above. You might want to try that while you get diagnosed. At 220 mg it's over-the-counter (no prescription) in the United States (marketed under the brand "Aleve." It's an old man's best friend and an athlete's buddy.

"The Quick fix is Naproxen Sodium." Sometimes.

Pain is caused by tissue pressing on nerves; i.e., nerve impingement (nerve "pinching").
Typically, as in a toothache or pulled muscle, the tissue (or tendons) have swollen and press on the the adjacent nerves, thus causing pain. 
But if there is no swollen tissue that is pressing on the nerve, yet there is pain, no NSAID will help.

A common example is shingles (which I have had). The nerves endings right below the skin are irritated by the virus, causing (believe me) excruciating pain.
When I first got the symptoms I thought I had pulled a muscle because the area ached, but no NSAID helped it, regardless of the dose.
The only thing that can alleviate nerve pain that is NOT caused by surrounding tissue tissue pressing on a the nerve is a narcotic.
Narcotics merely prevent the pain signals from reaching your brain.

When you slip a disc in your back it is generally caused by an injury that also inflames the surrounding muscles and other tissue, all of which press on the nerve(s) exiting  your spine via the vertebrae.
NSAIDS can help  at the time by reducing the swelling of the tissues.
But once the tissues return to normal (more or less), the pain can continue because the disc, which may be either bulging or herniated, is still pressing on the nerve.
And at that point no NSAID will help. 

What is usually done is a steroid injection that can reduce the swelling of the disc (again, sometimes).
Or sometimes PT (Physio) can help the disc get back to where it should be, again taking pressure off the nerve(s). But sometimes that doesn't work either.
Then you are looking at surgery.

I had a slipped VERTEBRA (not a disc), that was putting pressure on the nerve, and no NSAID could stop the pain, no PT could correct it.
I had to have surgery (fusion) to remove the pressure from the nerve.
And now I am fine.
I do have a slightly bulging disc (L4) but as long as I watch my posture, lift things correctly, and don't hyper-extend my back, it rarely bothers me.        
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1256 on: February 17, 2021, 01:40:38 pm »

One of the reasons I took up steampunkery was as an excuse to wear waistcoats all day, every day. After my first slipped disk I found that in a fairly tightly-strapped waistcoat my posture was much better (shoulders back, stomach in) and consequently I had far fewer back problems. Then I suddenly gained weight, none of them fitted and the back problems came back.
I'm not sure if this would work as well on the female form without some form of strapping.
And it was years before I found out about proprioception, a comorbid of my autism, but it suddenly made sense of why they were so comfortable.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1257 on: February 17, 2021, 05:35:54 pm »

Yay! More fun. We have a burst water pipe by the entrance of the house (interior wall, of course).

EDIT: OK, we lucked out. It was a fairly easy to reach copper pipe joint that ballooned and burst right next to the entrance door behind the facade brickwork. The water flowed into the garage and exited right away to the exterior under the garage door. *whew*. It does mean, however, we have no water in the house for the time being.

The 1969 house has been remodeled at least once, apparently, because behind and around the brickwork we found green packing peanuts used as insulation  Huh Roll Eyes Ill be out shovelling snow so we can have some water to flush the toilets  Grin
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:17:20 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1258 on: February 18, 2021, 12:01:53 am »

Luckily a neighbor friend of ours is an appliance handyman and he helped us repair the copper pipe. Here's the culprit:

Now my roommates are panicking because they hear that in South Austin there's widespread water mains breaks and thus water cutoffs...  Roll Eyes
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1259 on: February 18, 2021, 11:29:52 am »

Luckily a neighbor friend of ours is an appliance handyman and he helped us repair the copper pipe. Here's the culprit:

Now my roommates are panicking because they hear that in South Austin there's widespread water mains breaks and thus water cutoffs...  Roll Eyes

Not that it gets that cold & snowy here, but, being a belt & braces kind of person, I have a wood burner in my lounge room, and a 5500 litre water tank, not connected to the mains supply outside. The tap of the tank exits directly off the tank, so no pipes to freeze. I also have a wood burning camp stove, with a solar panel for charging electronic devices, and a sheltered from the weather but exposed to the light external spot to use it.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1260 on: February 18, 2021, 07:15:29 pm »

No "cold" problems here, no frozen pipes, no icy streets, no power lines and tree branches icing over and then breaking.
No sirree!
No, we have "Summer problems" like drought (bad for the last 30 years but really bad now), temps in the mid 40s C, power grid going down at the height of summer because everyone is maxing out the use of their A/C...but no winter problems!  Tongue
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1261 on: February 18, 2021, 08:33:04 pm »

Now my roommates are panicking because they hear that in South Austin there's widespread water mains breaks and thus water cutoffs...  Roll Eyes

Not that it gets that cold & snowy here, but, being a belt & braces kind of person, I have a wood burner in my lounge room, and a 5500 litre water tank, not connected to the mains supply outside. The tap of the tank exits directly off the tank, so no pipes to freeze. I also have a wood burning camp stove, with a solar panel for charging electronic devices, and a sheltered from the weather but exposed to the light external spot to use it.

Well, that's the thing. People are not prepared. In Mexico, where power outages and interruption of services is far more common, people are prepared. Even in fancy neighborhoods with mansions and all-underground services like my 1970s Era childhood home, houses always feature a large tank on the roof ("Tinaco" in Mexican Spanish) like every single house and hut in the poor part of town. All people boil the water, period. You don't trust to have potable water, even if the authorities say it's potable - we were not millionaires, but I did know quite a few and there's always a pot of clean boiled water in the kitchen, even if it was prepared in a large mansion by the cook maids-not joking!

At the basement of our house we had an electric generator, which we used if blackouts lasted for a long time. Naturally we had all sorts of lamps. We had electric and gas stoves. A wood fireplace in the center of the house. I don't think everyone had a generator, but the one thing many people had in the city was gas tanks - because some parts of the city are so old there are no gas lines underground, like Roma Borough which was built in the turn of the 19th Century. We did have underground gas service; it all depends when the neighborhood was built. By the 1960s overhead electric power lines were no longer used and all services became subterranean in new neighborhoods. It struck us as strange that in the US overhead power lines were so ubiquitous, even by the 1990s when we were living in the US.

And rolling cutoffs never lasted more than a couple of hours. The Federal Electric Commission in that country was pretty good at rotating power cutoffs (in contrast Texas' ERCOT officials here, who insist power cuts were deliberate  Roll Eyes and measured, have left some people in Austin without power since Sunday, we only got cut 24 hrs - cross fingers - and some people never got their power cut off.. Why? - completely random. CDMX outages never lasted that long, exept perhaps in the 1985 earthquake that killed 10s of thousands (there's a large discrepancy between official government estimates and other estimates by rescue organizations and universities - but deaths were in the 5 figure range).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 08:55:11 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #1262 on: February 18, 2021, 09:45:26 pm »

Eat more fatty foods.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1263 on: February 18, 2021, 10:12:47 pm »

Eat more fatty foods.
More?
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #1264 on: February 18, 2021, 10:57:19 pm »

Yes. If there is no heat outside, then you need more fuel for the internal heat.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1265 on: February 19, 2021, 02:25:47 am »

The battery in my laptop has croaked. It's only 21 years old!  Cry

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1266 on: February 19, 2021, 02:50:21 am »

I think you got your money's worth out of it..... Roll Eyes Wink
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1267 on: February 19, 2021, 03:41:12 am »

I think you got your money's worth out of it..... Roll Eyes Wink
Ha, ha, ha ! Share the brand. I want to buy one.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1268 on: February 19, 2021, 03:58:46 am »

Eat more fatty foods.

That might be a challenge. The situation is turning more absurd by the minute. Now there's a food shortage. Supermarket shelves are empty.

Today I walked 2.5 miles (not a bad walk, normally 45 minutes) to my local supermarket. The walk was made possible by ice cleats I made from an old pair of boots. I'm quite sure this is nothing compared to a Michigan or Minnesota winter, let alone a Russian winter, but Texas is just not prepared for it. They were caught off guard. The snow has fused into irregular ice between 5 cm to about 30 cm over the sidewalks, so it's similar to walking over the rocks in a river. It's good exercise  Grin. That makes it tiresome to walk. It took me an hour to get there (not too bad). The shelves were nearly empty.

The Texas Agriculture Commissioner is now saying there's a big impact on local livestock. "Many dead cattle, pigs and chickens" as he said it. Also produce (vegetables) were severely affected. He said during an interview that we should expect shortages for the next few weeks.

That will affect the "all mighty" supermarket chain "HEB" which I prefer over others, like"Randall's" which is a national chain, (affiliated with "Safeway"). Unfortunately, it's more difficult to walk to Randall's (5 miles? ), and Walmart is closed.

I did get most of what I needed, but I'll need to use my emergency 45 day Covid-19 food stash. I have beer though  Grin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 05:09:23 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1269 on: February 19, 2021, 04:17:49 am »

...The situation is turning more absurd by the minute. Now there's a food shortage. Supermarket shelves are empty.
Today I walked 2.5 miles (not a bad walk, normally 45 minutes) to my local supermarket. ...
I did get most of what I needed, but I'll need to use my emergency 45 day Covid-19 food stash. I have beer though  Grin

Kind of pointless to drink beer if you gots no chips and salsa, juneau..... Wink
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1270 on: February 19, 2021, 05:00:30 am »

...The situation is turning more absurd by the minute. Now there's a food shortage. Supermarket shelves are empty.
Today I walked 2.5 miles (not a bad walk, normally 45 minutes) to my local supermarket. ...
I did get most of what I needed, but I'll need to use my emergency 45 day Covid-19 food stash. I have beer though  Grin

Kind of pointless to drink beer if you gots no chips and salsa, juneau..... Wink

And who told you that I don't have chips and Salsa? The world might come to an end, but I'm not uncivilized. I didn't walk 2.5 miles over the rocky ice for nothing!  Grin

« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 05:04:03 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1271 on: February 19, 2021, 05:15:32 am »

And who told you that I don't have chips and Salsa? The world might come to an end, but I'm not uncivilized. I didn't walk 2.5 miles over the rocky ice for nothing!  Grin

I could live on chips and salsa and beer. It would be a very healthy diet:
The chips (preferably TJ's  white corn) provide carbs.
The salsa (I make my own: romas, onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeños, chunks of avocado, lime juice, salt) has all the green stuff and the fats (the good kind)
And the beer (Dos Equis Amber) provides the protein (1.6 gm per 12 oz)  Grin
So I'm good to go indefinitely  Grin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 05:18:12 am by Deimos » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1272 on: February 19, 2021, 05:22:39 am »

I could live on chips and salsa and beer. It would be a very healthy diet:
The chips (preferably TJ's  white corn) provide carbs.
The salsa (I make my own: romas, onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeños, chunks of avocado, lime juice, salt) has all the green stuff and the fats (the good kind)
And the beer (Dos Equis Amber) provides the protein (1.6 gm per 12 oz)  Grin
So I'm good to go indefinitely  Grin

Good choice. With all that's been going on I wasn't paying much attention to the produce section. When I didn't find ground beef, I didn't have the need for the side dishes. And I only had 30 minutes to shop before they closed at 5pm. The beer was brought by a bartender who is friend of my roommate. So we're good on beer (Shiner Bock).
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1273 on: February 20, 2021, 12:03:18 am »

Still sounds bad in Texas - people are dying now - hope it gets better real soon - sending heat from Australia...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1274 on: February 20, 2021, 01:52:17 am »

Still sounds bad in Texas - people are dying now - hope it gets better real soon - sending heat from Australia...

Thank you!

Things are turning in Austin. Keep in mind that Dallas and the Texas "Panhandle" are colder (it always snows a bit in winter, compared to Austin). But we broke the freezing mark today and reached 5 C / 40 F during sunlight hours. All the ice is melting now. Buses are now transiting for limited hours. I think I will go to work this Saturday. The problem is water systems are compromised (many still don't have water) and now food shortages will ensue due to impact to farms.

For myself I can say I'm all fine, just missed about $200 in wages which will mean another tight month for me. My roomate (idiot that he is) came in screaming he "found gold." I asked him "What are you talking about?"  "Oh," he says, "I found this 3 ft long 1/2 inch copper pipe. Everyone will be looking for one now." So he thinks he's going to scalp a 3 ft long copper pipe on eBay or Craigslist. *facepalm* If he wasn't the owner of the house/lanlord I'd slap him good. That's what we can expect from his college marketing degree.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 01:56:15 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: