The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 17, 2021, 10:15:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 64367 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« Reply #1200 on: December 31, 2020, 12:18:53 am »

A close friend from Wales died December 21st.
I will miss him.
That's always painful, wishing you and the people around you all the strength. My condolences

I struggle and arise
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1201 on: December 31, 2020, 11:35:49 am »

guess who's stuck in london because their home country did the equivalent of slamming the door shut in their face?

Bad luck Caledonian.  Hope you get home soon.

not much of a gaaah...though maybe... after paying some hefty sum for a covid test at a private clinic i could get onto a special christmas flight to get back home. thank god.
most rubbish christmas i ever did have (mom's shop had had to close and well, it had consequences) but at least it was spend with family

So glad you got home Caledonian. 

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1202 on: December 31, 2020, 03:21:21 pm »

I had to call the AA again, after 2 hours and a new battery for my van, the guy said "dunno"  So it got going eventually, half the electrics have gone, no lights or gauges on the dash, managed to limp it to my local garage, there 'til next week with no idea what's wrong and most importantly how much money it will cost.

Oh, poo and bugger! 150 down so far, for the battery, Happy New and a skint Year for me then.  Undecided

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1203 on: January 01, 2021, 11:04:09 am »

Just to finish the year off, my older brother was cremated yesterday - he died at the end of July, and has been in either the coroner's or funeral director's cold storage ever since. He lived interstate, so I wasn't able to do anything personally about arrangements, and my other brother wouldn't. I spent a fair whack of time in hospital, which didn't make the situation easier. It's a pity when one of a trio of siblings basically estranges himself for quite a few years. It left the other two with very few options.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1204 on: January 01, 2021, 11:07:13 am »

I had to call the AA again, after 2 hours and a new battery for my van, the guy said "dunno"  So it got going eventually, half the electrics have gone, no lights or gauges on the dash, managed to limp it to my local garage, there 'til next week with no idea what's wrong and most importantly how much money it will cost.

Oh, poo and bugger! 150 down so far, for the battery, Happy New and a skint Year for me then.  Undecided

I feel your pain, SeVeNeVeS! My car is sitting in the carport waiting for me to ring the RACV on Monday afternoon - new battery required!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1205 on: January 01, 2021, 01:19:11 pm »

Just to finish the year off, my older brother was cremated yesterday - he died at the end of July, and has been in either the coroner's or funeral director's cold storage ever since. He lived interstate, so I wasn't able to do anything personally about arrangements, and my other brother wouldn't. I spent a fair whack of time in hospital, which didn't make the situation easier. It's a pity when one of a trio of siblings basically estranges himself for quite a few years. It left the other two with very few options.

My condolences I hope 2021 will be a better year for you.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1206 on: January 01, 2021, 01:42:07 pm »

My condolences I hope 2021 will be a better year for you.

Thank you - I appreciate your concern, Ms Courcelle. Overall, while it did have one or two highlights, 2020 was not the best of years.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1207 on: January 06, 2021, 06:01:12 am »

I had to get the RACV to replace our battery a few months ago on account of me going nowhere during the lockdown. My more immeadiate problem is that I am getting the car serviced tomorrow 20 mins drive away from home. The problem is what I do while it is worked on. I don't want to travel home by public transport (will take at least an hour each way) during the pandemic. I don't want to sit in a public indoor area like a cafe or a local library. I have a laptop to do work on, but the battery will only last me a few hours. There is a public park about 20 minutes walk from the garage, so I guess I'll just sit there and read the book I got for Xmas until the garage calls me.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1208 on: January 06, 2021, 12:40:07 pm »

I feel your pain, SeVeNeVeS! My car is sitting in the carport waiting for me to ring the RACV on Monday afternoon - new battery required!

$220 later I have a new battery in my car! Now all I have to do is drive it a bit, but just now that's not going to happen - I shall have to get someone else to drive it around a bit for me, but it is only insured for me driving! Sigh!
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1209 on: January 06, 2021, 01:34:42 pm »

I had to get the RACV to replace our battery a few months ago on account of me going nowhere during the lockdown. My more immeadiate problem is that I am getting the car serviced tomorrow 20 mins drive away from home. The problem is what I do while it is worked on. I don't want to travel home by public transport (will take at least an hour each way) during the pandemic. I don't want to sit in a public indoor area like a cafe or a local library. I have a laptop to do work on, but the battery will only last me a few hours. There is a public park about 20 minutes walk from the garage, so I guess I'll just sit there and read the book I got for Xmas until the garage calls me.

Sorontar

$220 later I have a new battery in my car! Now all I have to do is drive it a bit, but just now that's not going to happen - I shall have to get someone else to drive it around a bit for me, but it is only insured for me driving! Sigh!
If you have a drive or off road parking (which I don't, my van could be parked in another postcode)  A trickle charger, optimate  kind of thing could save future grief and expense. Undecided
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1210 on: January 07, 2021, 02:51:27 am »

Since 2018 I have a carpark outside the front of my yard! It isn't large, but I could drive around & around for 10 or 15 minutes once or twice a week! Rarely a car in it, unless it's the greenskeeper for the bowling club next door - only used once or twice a week, so plenty of spare days for me!

I will add to the family gloom - a cousin, who lives interstate, died on the 24th of December, which also happens to be my birthday, and was buried yesterday - 2020 will be remembered!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 02:57:47 am by Banfili » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #1211 on: January 07, 2021, 04:16:23 am »

Had an extra day off, and decided to force myself to be productive, and started in my process of taking everything out to sort and organize everything over the next few day. once everything is spread around my bedroom and on the dining room table after a couple days of unpacking and partially sorting things, I get a text telling me tomorrow the landlord will be bringing in some people to take readings of the temperature in the house to try and assess what they will be doing for reinsulation. and somehow I have to undo 3 days work, get everything stuffed back in place, get a nights sleep, and work a full shift in the time between then and now.

I know it's not a comment on me spreading my stuff around, this is literally the same guy who managed to need to go into a room he hadn't been in for years right while I had set up some mead brewing in the corner out of the way where nobody would disturb it, and of course he accidentally knocked the stoppers out and left it like that for hours. He is a Mr. Magoo through and through.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1212 on: January 07, 2021, 09:00:09 am »

At least twice a week we get deliveries for next door (because Flat 8, No. 6 Our Street is the same as No. 8 Our Street, obviously). Yesterday we had 3 separate deliveries for them and on the last one the delivery driver sat on the doorbell for a count of ten. Not happy, I stormed to the door and picked up the package, saw it was for next door and stomped off to redeliver it. Not spotting the black ice on the steps. My slippers have no tread, so after 3 steps I come crashing to the stone steps, bashing my knee and landing hard on my... elbow (yes, I know the difference Wink ). I now have a foot-long plaster all the way down my forearm and a hoodie that I really hope I can get the blood out of. The only warm one I own, of course. And am hobbling everywhere. And didn't sleep last night because of the pain in my arm.

All because delivery drivers don't need to be able to read.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1213 on: January 08, 2021, 01:32:33 am »

"...I stormed to the door and picked up the package, saw it was for next door and stomped off to redeliver it. Not spotting the black ice on the steps. My slippers have no tread, so after 3 steps I come crashing to the stone steps, bashing my knee and landing hard on my...[REDACTED!]  Grin Grin Grin. I now have a foot-long plaster all the way down my forearm and a hoodie that I really hope I can get the blood out of..... And didn't sleep last night because of the pain in my arm.  All because delivery drivers don't need to be able to read."

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: