The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 17, 2021, 09:51:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 64366 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1175 on: December 06, 2020, 05:23:49 pm »

Iceland sometimes do a 'cook from frozen' turkey crown, just follow the instructions on the packet and its much easier than working out how long to defrost etc (and you cook it in the foil tin it comes in too, so no having to find/buy a roasting tin that only gets used once a year ...)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1176 on: December 06, 2020, 08:24:33 pm »

This may be sacrilegious but you can also buy frozen Brussels sprouts (at least you can in the US).
Thaw them in the microwave (do you all call it a microwave? [M/W for short]) and then saute them in a skillet in butter and garlic, until brown/ caramelized.
Serve with grated Parmesan (not the stuff in the can, please) 

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1177 on: December 06, 2020, 11:35:01 pm »

In Wales, a microwave can either be known as a "Popty Ping" (colloquial) or "Popty Microdon" or just a plain microwave.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« Reply #1178 on: December 07, 2020, 03:23:09 am »

As a student, the microwave is my best friend

I struggle and arise
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1179 on: December 07, 2020, 07:05:38 am »

In Wales, a microwave can either be known as a "Popty Ping" (colloquial) or "Popty Microdon" or just a plain microwave.

Popty Microdon sounds like a prehistoric creature. Some sort of Dinosaur

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #1180 on: December 07, 2020, 06:39:38 pm »

it was, why do you think the dinos died, and there is that layer of radio isotopes at that layer in the fossil bed. There bones are what we use in magnetrons to cook food.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1181 on: December 07, 2020, 06:55:53 pm »

it was, why do you think the dinos died, and there is that layer of radio isotopes at that layer in the fossil bed. There bones are what we use in magnetrons to cook food.

Oh no, not more fossil fuels!  Grin

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1182 on: December 19, 2020, 12:37:34 am »

rough night sleeping. woke with severe back pain that just got worse and worse... until i remembered a few times over the last few years where not getting enough to eat results in a sensation like somebody has taken a bat to the back of my pelvis and upper thigh bones. ate some chocolate and rocked back and forth for about 40 minutes until it kicked in and the pain eased off.

anybody else get bad back/leg nerve pain when they go long periods without food? or is this just another one of those things my body does which make no sense.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #1183 on: December 21, 2020, 12:58:55 pm »

guess who's stuck in london because their home country did the equivalent of slamming the door shut in their face?
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1184 on: December 21, 2020, 01:55:44 pm »

guess who's stuck in london because their home country did the equivalent of slamming the door shut in their face?

Well, that does suck. But unfortunately, it's because of our govt. basically mishandling and practically destroying almost anything and everything they get their hands on.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1185 on: December 21, 2020, 02:41:41 pm »

Well, that does suck. But unfortunately, it's because of our govt. basically mishandling and practically destroying almost anything and everything they get their hands on.
I know the Govt. has many faults but you can't really blame them for other Countries closing their borders due to the mutant strain of Covid in the UK and thus halting international travel.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 03:21:12 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1186 on: December 21, 2020, 07:41:43 pm »

Bad luck Caledonian.  Hope you get home soon.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1187 on: December 22, 2020, 02:47:34 am »

I know the Govt. has many faults but you can't really blame them for other Countries closing their borders due to the mutant strain of Covid in the UK and thus halting international travel.
True, but you can't really blame Other Countries for being cautious either.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1188 on: December 23, 2020, 05:21:27 pm »

My good lady wife has found a remarkable new invention - the self-opening Christmas present!
I was wrapping the presents in a rather natty dark red with gold decorations wrapping paper earlier. After wrapping four items I noticed that the first had become unwrapped. As I restuck the tape, the second one opened itself up too. To be followed by the other two.
On inspection it turns out that the paper is ever-so slightly waxed, so after about 3 minutes any sticky tape becomes unstuck! Waaah! Why do they do these things? It serves one function, so if it can't do that, why sell the stuff?! Grrr!

This year, I shall mostly be wrapping my presents with gaffer tape.

Note: wife was equally upset.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1189 on: December 23, 2020, 06:34:33 pm »

You could always wrap it like your average Ebayer, far too much, over the top padding and cardboard, so much parcel tape, it takes you an hour of precious time and 2 stanley blades to get into the bloody thing.
A box the size of a house, repeatedly filled with smaller boxes, those all so annoying polystyrene chips that seem to get everywhere, no matter how careful you are....... and bubble wrap....... finally to reveal your ordered prize.......... a 3 amp fuse. That's the way to wrap a christmas present.........or just encase the bugger in expanding foam.....

Always here for advice, me.......... Wink

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 07:10:53 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1190 on: December 23, 2020, 08:46:59 pm »

You could always wrap it like your average Ebayer, far too much, over the top padding and cardboard, so much parcel tape, it takes you an hour of precious time and 2 stanley blades to get into the bloody thing.
A box the size of a house, repeatedly filled with smaller boxes, those all so annoying polystyrene chips that seem to get everywhere, no matter how careful you are....... and bubble wrap....... finally to reveal your ordered prize.......... a 3 amp fuse. That's the way to wrap a christmas present.........or just encase the bugger in expanding foam.....

Or enclose the present within the box you received it in, in another box addressed to the wife (that's my experience of Ebay sellers).
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1191 on: December 23, 2020, 11:40:46 pm »

how to wrap gifts without tape https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLP-WZEe0OU
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1192 on: December 24, 2020, 01:10:03 am »

My good lady wife has found a remarkable new invention - the self-opening Christmas present!
I was wrapping the presents in a rather natty dark red with gold decorations wrapping paper earlier. After wrapping four items I noticed that the first had become unwrapped. As I restuck the tape, the second one opened itself up too. To be followed by the other two.
On inspection it turns out that the paper is ever-so slightly waxed, so after about 3 minutes any sticky tape becomes unstuck! Waaah! Why do they do these things? It serves one function, so if it can't do that, why sell the stuff?! Grrr!

This year, I shall mostly be wrapping my presents with gaffer tape.

Note: wife was equally upset.

Must have been developed by those same crafty folk who invented pre-sealed envelopes!
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1193 on: December 24, 2020, 10:07:53 am »

Whilst on my rant about parcels, I forgot to mention the other end of the scale.

You buy the equivalent of a Ming vase and it arrives wrapped in a single piece of tissue and a carrier bag from Sainsburys.

You rip the bag and get that sinking feeling when you hear the sound of chinking and broken pieces moving.

Blooding idiots, a lot them.  Roll Eyes
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1194 on: December 24, 2020, 02:10:56 pm »

I always overwrap parcels.
The family are now so used to this they look forward to a present from Aunt Cora as a sort of personal challenge ...
and although it is nice to get lots of presents it's not so good when they should have been in one piece  Cheesy
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1195 on: December 25, 2020, 03:23:25 am »

I always overwrap parcels.
The family are now so used to this they look forward to a present from Aunt Cora as a sort of personal challenge ...
and although it is nice to get lots of presents it's not so good when they should have been in one piece  Cheesy
If there isn't more tape than paper, you haven't wrapped it enough.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1196 on: December 29, 2020, 02:25:00 pm »

Just as I thought that 2020 couldn't be any more of a rubbish skip fire, I received news that a good friend of mine from Scotland had passed away.  Sad

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1197 on: December 29, 2020, 02:42:41 pm »

Commiserations to you & their family.  Sad
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #1198 on: December 29, 2020, 11:39:28 pm »

Bad luck Caledonian.  Hope you get home soon.

not much of a gaaah...though maybe... after paying some hefty sum for a covid test at a private clinic i could get onto a special christmas flight to get back home. thank god.
most rubbish christmas i ever did have (mom's shop had had to close and well, it had consequences) but at least it was spend with family
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1199 on: December 30, 2020, 10:11:29 am »

A close friend from Wales died December 21st.
I will miss him.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: