The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 27, 2020, 11:51:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 61502 times)
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1150 on: November 11, 2020, 02:21:10 pm »

I drive a forklift for a living. This is surprisingly hard on the hands, so I wear impact gloves to protect my hands from getting beat up.

My current pair of gloves have shown a tendency to stain my knuckles Trump-coloured.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1151 on: November 11, 2020, 09:45:31 pm »

I drive a forklift for a living. This is surprisingly hard on the hands, so I wear impact gloves to protect my hands from getting beat up.

My current pair of gloves have shown a tendency to stain my knuckles Trump-coloured.

I used to drive a New Holland LS-120 compact loader w/ dozer/forklift attachments for our family business. This was larger than most "Bobcat" type vehicles, almost like a full size Caterpillar. Fun times. It had tires, so if you decelerated quickly, the whole vehicle would start rocking front and back, bouncing on the tires   Grin

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1152 on: November 12, 2020, 03:14:56 am »

I used to drive a New Holland LS-120 compact loader w/ dozer/forklift attachments for our family business. This was larger than most "Bobcat" type vehicles, almost like a full size Caterpillar. Fun times. It had tires, so if you decelerated quickly, the whole vehicle would start rocking front and back, bouncing on the tires   Grin

In a previous life (haha), I drove a rather smaller indoor gasoline-powered hyster-style unit in a home improvement store (nope, not joking, they had us using a gasoline engined unit inside of a building. I sometimes wonder if that contributed to the extreme respiratory allergies I have now). Smaller - but still just tall enough to injure one's feet if one jumped out of the seat to take care of pallets and lumber bundles the way I usually did. I have foot trouble today in the same ball-of-the-foot areas that I kept landing on 'way back when. for a while, it got to where if they had trouble with a long stack of lumber (16 feet or so) or weirdly-stacked pallet, they'd call me to take care of it. The thing was incredibly prone to dumping loads, however, especially on the woefully  less-than-perfect surface of our parking lot. Fun (?) times...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1153 on: November 12, 2020, 03:17:02 am »

In other news, Youtube is refusing to work on my end now. The "is it only me" site says it's only me, but lots and of posts dating from tonight make a lie of that verdict. Gaaaaggghhh....

Aaaandd... Wouldn't you just know that as soon as I posted that, I decided to check back, and now it's working again. *makes the bubbbleebubbleebubblee noise with his lips and forefinger*

I pride myself on my tech savvy, but sometimes the danged computers STILL make me me look STUPID! GGGAAAGGGHHH...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 03:23:24 am by MWBailey » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1154 on: November 12, 2020, 07:06:15 am »

In other news, Youtube is refusing to work on my end now. The "is it only me" site says it's only me, but lots and of posts dating from tonight make a lie of that verdict. Gaaaaggghhh....

Aaaandd... Wouldn't you just know that as soon as I posted that, I decided to check back, and now it's working again. *makes the bubbbleebubbleebubblee noise with his lips and forefinger*

I pride myself on my tech savvy, but sometimes the danged computers STILL make me me look STUPID! GGGAAAGGGHHH...

It was a problem with You Tube. They issued an explanation, which I glanced at a few minutes ago.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1155 on: November 12, 2020, 08:17:26 am »

My son has a similar/inverse problem. He's not allergic to latex, it's allergic to him. After a few minutes wearing latex gloves they start turning orange, and after a while longer they start falling apart.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1156 on: November 12, 2020, 04:39:28 pm »

My son has a similar/inverse problem. He's not allergic to latex, it's allergic to him. After a few minutes wearing latex gloves they start turning orange, and after a while longer they start falling apart.

How interesting....does whatever is on(in?) his skin also repel mosquitoes, flies, bees, midges, etc?  If so, that is quite the blessing.  

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1157 on: November 12, 2020, 05:32:39 pm »

How interesting....does whatever is on(in?) his skin also repel mosquitoes, flies, bees, midges, etc?  If so, that is quite the blessing.  
We're fairly sure it's his sweat. As for also keeping wee flying, blood-sucking beasties at a distance, I'm not sure, we've always found that living in Yorkshire does that for us.  Wink
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #1158 on: November 14, 2020, 01:36:48 am »

We're fairly sure it's his sweat. As for also keeping wee flying, blood-sucking beasties at a distance, I'm not sure, we've always found that living in Yorkshire does that for us.  Wink
might be the oils in his skin/sweat, rubbing some oils on certain synthetic materials starts to break them down.

My Gah of the day. I've worked this job for a little over a year but finally snapped at a customer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Whatever. I'm just fed up with the entitled rude and hostile idiots that parade through the store like they rule over us peons.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1159 on: November 14, 2020, 05:10:02 am »

We're fairly sure it's his sweat. As for also keeping wee flying, blood-sucking beasties at a distance, I'm not sure, we've always found that living in Yorkshire does that for us.  Wink

Had to look up Yorkshire climate. Wow..... pretty nice, mild.....extremes aren't even that bad. The article I read describes it as a "maritime climate".
York ( I picked it as an sample city) is much farther north than any large cities in the US (contiguous 48 states) and places like Toronto and yet is still very temperate, not getting inundated with snow 5-6 months out of the year like all those North American (and Canadian) cities at lower latitudes than is your county.  
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1160 on: November 14, 2020, 10:47:53 am »

We're fairly sure it's his sweat. As for also keeping wee flying, blood-sucking beasties at a distance, I'm not sure, we've always found that living in Yorkshire does that for us.  Wink

Had to look up Yorkshire climate. Wow..... pretty nice, mild.....extremes aren't even that bad. The article I read describes it as a "maritime climate".
York ( I picked it as an sample city) is much farther north than any large cities in the US (contiguous 48 states) and places like Toronto and yet is still very temperate, not getting inundated with snow 5-6 months out of the year like all those North American (and Canadian) cities at lower latitudes than is your county.  

Well, how much longer that continues is questionable. The UK as a whole enjoys a far more temperate climate than other places at similar latitudes in a large part thanks to Gulf Stream bringing up warm water (and air) from the equatorial Atlantic, which could well be disrupted by climate change. If that were to be disrupted the UK could easily end up far more like Siberia.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1161 on: November 17, 2020, 04:28:40 am »

I've caught a stomach bug so all I've been doing for the past two days is mostly sleeping and throwing up a few times. Today my entire upper body aches like a Lips sealed and it's not even remotely fun.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1162 on: November 21, 2020, 05:12:38 pm »

There have been a number of things not going well lately, but I can deal with that despite the stress.

However, my pet cat Dibnah went missing in the early hours of Friday. He was last seen on my CCTV camera at the back door around 1:30am and disappeared between then and around 3am. I have searched all over, at all hours including late at night when it is quiet in the hopes I could hear him if he is trapped somewhere in the yards surrounding my house. Not a single sign of him.

Not in a good place at the moment.  Cry

Knowing if he's dead is one thing, but the not knowing what has happened or where he is is killing me. I fear the worst, and I will never find him or know what happened to him.

My house is so empty.

[Server Prayer]
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1163 on: November 21, 2020, 06:01:48 pm »

There have been a number of things not going well lately, but I can deal with that despite the stress.

However, my pet cat Dibnah went missing in the early hours of Friday. He was last seen on my CCTV camera at the back door around 1:30am and disappeared between then and around 3am. I have searched all over, at all hours including late at night when it is quiet in the hopes I could hear him if he is trapped somewhere in the yards surrounding my house. Not a single sign of him.

Not in a good place at the moment.  Cry

Knowing if he's dead is one thing, but the not knowing what has happened or where he is is killing me. I fear the worst, and I will never find him or know what happened to him.

My house is so empty.

Sorry to hear that. I'm thinking of found, perhaps it'd be a good idea to have a GPS enabled collar? I don't have a pet, but since we have similar products for humans, I imagine these do exist for pets.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1164 on: November 22, 2020, 10:10:25 am »

My Gah of the day. I've worked this job for a little over a year but finally snapped at a customer.

Whatever. I'm just fed up with the entitled rude and hostile idiots that parade through the store like they rule over us peons.

WHen that finally happened to me (realizing I was getting livid at customers, I mean) I realized it was time I got out of retail. I was working in an industrial hardware store at the time. Convincing my boss at the time to let me go back to college was a bit of a challenge, as they had an anti-moonlighting clause in the employee contract. In the end, they decided to sack me, I quit before they could, and went back to the university.

I still believe that it was the best course; I was on the point of punching out some of the more irritating dimwits (customers) that kept coming in, especially the  know-it-alls who kept telling me they could do things like throw a lit cig into a bucket of toluene/gasoline/MEK/What have you, and nothing would happen  - and then a week later would get burnt or killed when they lit up in a tank they were cleaning.

To this day I still get ticked when somebody asks me a leading and/or insinuating question about a product I'm looking at in a store, or laughs at the precautions on the label, and proceeds to tell me how stupid it is/they (the instructions) are; apparently, I still look like I work there, 40-odd years on... *irritated laugh*
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:26:28 am by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: