The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 11, 2020, 10:29:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 56513 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1050 on: July 14, 2020, 01:48:02 am »

was somebody axing you if you had an ask to grind?

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1051 on: July 14, 2020, 08:36:03 am »

"Ask" is not a noun!
Getting us to accept that is a big ask!

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #1052 on: July 14, 2020, 08:53:29 am »

aaaand no the laptop with ubuntu has somehow deleted all the charging/power monitoring, so that I have no idea if the battery is charging or running low etc. there is no charging light lit on the side when plugged in so I'm wondering if maybe the power port has lost a connection. But is it coincidence that it's happening now or did it delete the power setting when the connector broke?

maybe the heat if a factor? I just don't know any more. It just keeps breaking over and over again.

Rovingjack: the light on the connector has nothing to do with Linux. That is entirely a hardware issue. On computers it's common for some connections to be broken, such that temperature differences translate to sudden failures m

You said re-install. What's the original operating system? Is this a laptop or chrome book?

I used it off and on all day. powering it off and on a few times. Then about an hour ago it just cut off and went to black. I plugged it in and the two lights were both working again, then I turned it on and magically the charging indicator is back and the power percentage has returned. it's charging now. I think I will only let it sleep for now and not power it down or let it off the charger for a few days at least.

Once I've taken care of a few things I'll look in to opening it and potentially replacing the socket. It's just being a brat at this point.

It might simply be a semi-detached solder joint on the power socket. But depending on a laptop, it might be a pain in the hind end to open up. I for one have no friggin' chance of opening up my Lenovo N500 without having to completely take it to bits. And considering its age, it's not even worth it.

In too have been experiencing a similar power ther/power not problem with this very ancient frankentop. It turns out that the power cord wire broke an inch from the plug going into the laptop !

after realizing this I patched it, taped it, and .... the breaking continues. So i keep patching, soldering, etc etc... this last time aroud I embedded the entire wriing in hot glue as a strain relief from the plu almost 3 inches back, then taped it....

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1053 on: July 14, 2020, 01:39:54 pm »

aaaand no the laptop with ubuntu has somehow deleted all the charging/power monitoring, so that I have no idea if the battery is charging or running low etc. there is no charging light lit on the side when plugged in so I'm wondering if maybe the power port has lost a connection. But is it coincidence that it's happening now or did it delete the power setting when the connector broke?

maybe the heat if a factor? I just don't know any more. It just keeps breaking over and over again.

Rovingjack: the light on the connector has nothing to do with Linux. That is entirely a hardware issue. On computers it's common for some connections to be broken, such that temperature differences translate to sudden failures m

You said re-install. What's the original operating system? Is this a laptop or chrome book?

I used it off and on all day. powering it off and on a few times. Then about an hour ago it just cut off and went to black. I plugged it in and the two lights were both working again, then I turned it on and magically the charging indicator is back and the power percentage has returned. it's charging now. I think I will only let it sleep for now and not power it down or let it off the charger for a few days at least.

Once I've taken care of a few things I'll look in to opening it and potentially replacing the socket. It's just being a brat at this point.

It might simply be a semi-detached solder joint on the power socket. But depending on a laptop, it might be a pain in the hind end to open up. I for one have no friggin' chance of opening up my Lenovo N500 without having to completely take it to bits. And considering its age, it's not even worth it.

In too have been experiencing a similar power ther/power not problem with this very ancient frankentop. It turns out that the power cord wire broke an inch from the plug going into the laptop !

after realizing this I patched it, taped it, and .... the breaking continues. So i keep patching, soldering, etc etc... this last time aroud I embedded the entire wriing in hot glue as a strain relief from the plu almost 3 inches back, then taped it....

yhs
prof marvel

Some chargers specifically rely on a layer of shielding between the inner wires and outer insulation. (HP is known for that)

Also, wire failures in or near the "strain relief" (what a friggin joke) section of the plug tend to be pretty common with some brands.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1054 on: July 24, 2020, 11:42:24 am »

I got up at about 5am this morning and found my living room carpet under and around the fish tank soaking wet.

PANIC mode set in, water dripping on my Amp and Equalizer, water and elecrtics, NOT a good mix I thought.

An hour of mopping and investigation later, turns out my Oscar had managed to partially block the flow to the sump by destructive behaviour and gravel digging causing the tank to overflow.

Iv'e dried everything, the Amp works, thank gawd, the only casualty is the LED lighting, full of water and fried.

Cleared the potential problems from the tank, gravel and plastic plants etc.

The thing that gets me is, I've had him for ten years, the most passive Oscar fish ever, today he attacked my arm and hand and almost destroyed my stereo, Guppies next time methinks.  Roll Eyes Gaaaaggghh!

LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1055 on: July 25, 2020, 04:32:02 pm »

Rather minor but still GAH: I finally realised why my machine refused to boot with the replacement graphics card that I bought a while back. Smartarses at Sapphire made the 6-pin power connector the same colour as the shroud around the cooling fans and I hadn't noticed it (my eyesight is pretty poor).  Roll Eyes

Anyways, the graphics card is in the machine now, and works just fine.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1056 on: July 25, 2020, 11:47:56 pm »

Well, following review of the left ankle & foot MRI done a few weeks ago, what both my ortho surgeon and I thought would be a quick, 3 screw ankle stabilisation has turned into something a lot more serious.

I'm booked into hospital for a Distraction Arthroplasty, Arthroscopy, and PDGF (platelet-derived growth factor) injections.

I will have to apply for another Uni extension, too, as my cascade of orthopaedic issues over the past 3 to 4 months includes my left shoulder (I'm a leftie) and complications in my right ankle & foot!

Big GAH!! Grin
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1057 on: July 26, 2020, 04:37:57 am »

AC unit killed itself. and we'll be roasting and steaming for the rest of the month.

while making eggs on the stove top,  a wasp fell from the hood vent right into my cooking food.

New renter in the house is supposed to be on quarantine because one of his side job bosses has suspected covid19... so the new guy can't go to work until he gets a test saying he doesn't have it... so he took the day off to go golfing and go to a drinking party with friends.

Meanwhile my niece is graduating and having a birthday in 6 days, and they are keeping the invites to under 8 people, all to wear masks... and now I have to get tested, but my F-ing doctor is away until the 3rd of august, and the doctors office questioned if I really need to test ... before taking the weekend off.

rasum frassum, no good, terrible, very bad day.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1058 on: July 29, 2020, 01:58:03 pm »

Was informed by policeman this afternoon that my older brother (in NSW) passed away last night.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1059 on: July 29, 2020, 02:10:29 pm »

Was informed by policeman this afternoon that my older brother (in NSW) passed away last night.

Our condolences.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1060 on: July 29, 2020, 04:18:31 pm »

Very sorry to hear of your loss.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1061 on: July 29, 2020, 04:58:58 pm »

Very sorry to hear about your brother passing away.

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #1062 on: July 29, 2020, 09:48:31 pm »

Our condolences on the loss of your brother...

is it common by you for police to deliver such news?

with deepest sympathy
prof marvel
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1063 on: July 30, 2020, 12:07:09 am »

with deepest sympathy
prof marvel

Thank you all.

It is not uncommon for police to be the bearers of such news, especially when families live so far apart. My brother lived alone in a city some two hours travel away from where I live. And, when the deceased dies at home, with or without anyone else being in the home at the time, and the death is "unexplained" - i.e. where there is no obvious cause of death, and especially no recent medical history of any illness, the police must be informed, and things move on from there.

Because he died unexpectedly, from unknown, hopefully, natural causes there must be a post-mortem, and a report made to the Coroner before any other steps can be taken. This can sometimes take a while - I'm not sure if post-mortems are able to be conducted in Wagga at the moment, so my brother may have to be taken to Sydney, and then returned.

I live in Victoria, and my brother lived in New South Wales, so I'm not able to attend to any official business in person, but I am 'point of contact' - a lot will have to be done by phone. Our younger brother lives just over the border from Victoria in NSW, and close to me, so he will have to be the families' 'physical presence' with the funeral directors and so on. I'm not able to attend the funeral, as quarantining for 14 days in NSW before the event is not an option - especially as we don't know when the funeral can be held.

I'm booked into hospital for an orthopaedic procedure next Tuesday, and that will keep me out of action for the best part of 12 weeks!

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1064 on: July 30, 2020, 12:33:26 am »

with deepest sympathy
prof marvel

Thank you all.

It is not uncommon for police to be the bearers of such news, especially when families live so far apart. My brother lived alone in a city some two hours travel away from where I live. And, when the deceased dies at home, with or without anyone else being in the home at the time, and the death is "unexplained" - i.e. where there is no obvious cause of death, and especially no recent medical history of any illness, the police must be informed, and things move on from there.

Because he died unexpectedly, from unknown, hopefully, natural causes there must be a post-mortem, and a report made to the Coroner before any other steps can be taken. This can sometimes take a while - I'm not sure if post-mortems are able to be conducted in Wagga at the moment, so my brother may have to be taken to Sydney, and then returned.

I live in Victoria, and my brother lived in New South Wales, so I'm not able to attend to any official business in person, but I am 'point of contact' - a lot will have to be done by phone. Our younger brother lives just over the border from Victoria in NSW, and close to me, so he will have to be the families' 'physical presence' with the funeral directors and so on. I'm not able to attend the funeral, as quarantining for 14 days in NSW before the event is not an option - especially as we don't know when the funeral can be held.

I'm booked into hospital for an orthopaedic procedure next Tuesday, and that will keep me out of action for the best part of 12 weeks!

3 months!  Shocked
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1065 on: July 30, 2020, 01:03:58 am »

with deepest sympathy
prof marvel

Thank you all.

3 months!  Shocked

I will have crutches for at least three months, possibly four, unless I can pull off one of my more spectacular recoveries! The first couple of weeks are non-weight bearing, but I can rest my foot on the floor. After that is partial-weight bearing - up to 25%, & can then drive (right hand drive here!) and as things improve, more and more weight bearing as tolerated. The rehab programme says, "If it hurts, don't do it!"

I am having a Distraction Arthroplasty, one or more arthroscopies, and PDGF (platelet-derived growth factor) injections into my left ankle to try and grow new cartilage. There will be an external frame, and little hex-head nuts to adjust and all that fun stuff!
And this is my good ankle!! Later next year after I have my completely stuffed shoulder repaired (I hope) the same procedure will be happening to my right (bad!) ankle!

Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1066 on: July 30, 2020, 06:40:10 am »

If it's not too forward of me to ask....how did you manage to knacker BOTH ankles?
(A little too enthusiastic on the rugby field perhaps?)

Also I am sorry to learn of your brother's death, and also, that you cannot attend any funeral services, which sometimes make a death even more difficult.   

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1067 on: July 30, 2020, 07:35:43 am »

If it's not too forward of me to ask....how did you manage to knacker BOTH ankles?
(A little too enthusiastic on the rugby field perhaps?)

Also I am sorry to learn of your brother's death, and also, that you cannot attend any funeral services, which sometimes make a death even more difficult.   

Thank you Deimos.
I managed to 'knacker' both my ankles when I was involved in a car accident. Four fractures & multiple dislocations of the right ankle and foot for starters, and a ruptured LisFranc ligament. Subsequent bone scans a bit later on revealed Post-Traumatic Arthritis in both feet and ankles, primarily in the right, but significantly also in the left. As the most severely damaged, over time the right has been treated first, while the left was monitored. I had been having increased levels of instability in the left ankle over the past 12 months or so, and the MRI I had early in July showed why - the ankle is toast! Not quite bad enough to be fused just yet (the right was done some years back), the procedure next Tuesday is a last throw of the dice to save mobility etc. - if it fails, then fusion of the left ankle will become necessary.

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1068 on: July 30, 2020, 01:03:08 pm »

Sorry to hear of your loss Banfili and your physical situation. Hope the surgery succeeds and helps lessen the stress in every sense of the word.

Sorontar
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1069 on: July 30, 2020, 01:41:12 pm »

Sorry to hear of your loss Banfili and your physical situation. Hope the surgery succeeds and helps lessen the stress in every sense of the word.
Sorontar
Thank you, Sorontar.
As for my physical situation, I am fortunate I suppose, in that I am damaged, not ill - I would hate to have a chronic illness in the current plague climate!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1070 on: August 07, 2020, 05:10:18 pm »

Sorry about your brother Banfili
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1071 on: August 08, 2020, 03:27:27 am »

Sorry about your brother Banfili
Thank you, rovingjack.
Still in hospital post-op, likely to be here til Wednesday, now. Sigh, never ends'
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1072 on: August 08, 2020, 02:45:34 pm »

my condolences Banfili and hope you recover from the op' with little and no trouble!!

Not to moan, but my giiddy it's hot down south, 30/31 which for Blighty is foppin' hot! Tomorrow will be the same, might strip to my underpants and sit in the pond all day.  Undecided       Ok, maybe not, newts crawling in the nether regions and sunburn..................out with that huge propeller fan stowed in the loft methinks  Wink

So at 2PM it was 32c....
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 03:22:15 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1073 on: August 08, 2020, 03:22:53 pm »

I'm so sorry for your loss Banfili. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: