The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 03, 2020, 02:49:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 61840 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #1025 on: May 15, 2020, 02:49:35 am »

I was using my day to sign up to donate plasma to the red cross Covid 19 treatment efforts. and yes that is pretty much a transcript of the texts I got today.

I'm not quitting yet, though I've been contemplating it since they started lifting the closing in our area and the company told us not to prevent people without masks from coming in, and even made us remove the signs the state had businesses put up. I figure if they are so bothered by me, they can fire me and I can go get unemployment. Otherwise they can suck an egg and I will tell them when they are full of crap. Otherwise I'll look at some other options, but leave the unemployment doorway open for myself.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1026 on: May 15, 2020, 03:47:05 am »

I was using my day to sign up to donate plasma to the red cross Covid 19 treatment efforts. and yes that is pretty much a transcript of the texts I got today.

I'm not quitting yet, though I've been contemplating it since they started lifting the closing in our area and the company told us not to prevent people without masks from coming in, and even made us remove the signs the state had businesses put up. I figure if they are so bothered by me, they can fire me and I can go get unemployment. Otherwise they can suck an egg and I will tell them when they are full of crap. Otherwise I'll look at some other options, but leave the unemployment doorway open for myself.

I'm in a similar situation in that customers are now openly defying the rules which by now are not mandatory per State orders, but still applicable per city ordinance. The governor is threatening to legal actions against the city and the mayor for "overstepping their authority." Bottom line, it's open political warfare in the middle of the pandemic. Once society chooses to fight itself rather than fight a common enemy, it's all over... COVID has won the war already.

Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1027 on: May 16, 2020, 08:22:35 pm »

SNIP
Once society chooses to fight itself rather than fight a common enemy, it's all over... COVID has won the war already.

Let the culling begin! Grin

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1028 on: May 16, 2020, 08:52:45 pm »

SNIP
Once society chooses to fight itself rather than fight a common enemy, it's all over... COVID has won the war already.

Let the culling begin! Grin

If it only were that easy.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1029 on: June 08, 2020, 01:43:16 am »

laptop/primary computer destroyed it's HD, taking a year and a half of projects with it.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1030 on: June 08, 2020, 03:08:15 am »

laptop/primary computer destroyed it's HD, taking a year and a half of projects with it.

Bad fortune Sir.  Sad

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1031 on: June 15, 2020, 02:15:18 pm »

Oh, that's bad.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1032 on: June 16, 2020, 12:05:30 am »

Would you try to get a solid state drive for the next one?
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1033 on: June 17, 2020, 07:49:31 am »

Would you try to get a solid state drive for the next one?
Instead of spending close to a $600-$1000 for a laptop with the same stats or even just a little better, I found that I could get a refurbished desktop computer with a quad core i5 instead of a dual core i3, and I could get more ram. The desktop comes with a keyboard and optical mouse, the hardest part was tracking down a DVI-D cable for the computer to the monitor I have. I got a 3 year warranty with it, and buy a refurbished Hard drive of the same model of the one that broke. total cost for now having a desktop and laptop both with the same or slightly better stats... about $300.

I installed Ubuntu on the laptop, it's gonna take some getting used to. Took me about an hour just to get it to load to the hard drive and boot up right. Managed to use the web cam and it's mic to livestream to youtube as a test run. The screen flickered a bit at first but I went into setting and fiddled a bit, seems to have settled the issue.

I'll spend a little time futzing with the new desktop tomorrow. Get it dialed in to my needs. After that I will see if I can fix the screen on the backup computer, and then eventually see about replacing the cooling system, resecuring the keyboard cable, and the battery latch for the laptop that broke before I went across country, and I've got something that will let me use the harddrive of the laptop before that one as an external hard drive. I also have an external hard drive with stuff from my trip across country and some projects from more than a year and a half ago backed up on it.

But I think besides having a regular backup day each month I'm also going to start keeping some stuff online, and other stuff I'll see about printing hard copies of. I still have documents I printed out 25 years ago. so that's the gold standard for saving things for me.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1034 on: June 17, 2020, 11:27:58 am »

But I think besides having a regular backup day each month I'm also going to start keeping some stuff online, and other stuff I'll see about printing hard copies of. I still have documents I printed out 25 years ago. so that's the gold standard for saving things for me.

Nothing beats a paper copy!! I still have paper copies of print stuff from Uni in the 1980s - invaluable, even if I do find myself surrounded by piles of articles, I still prefer to read and work from hardcopy.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 01:46:27 pm by Banfili » Logged
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #1035 on: June 20, 2020, 08:03:19 am »

Still GB is not accessible from Germany.
The only way is TOR browser which is quite slow....

Could someone go down to the engine room and put on some coal?

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1036 on: July 05, 2020, 05:24:56 pm »

The Admiral can concur, I'm sure. Texas is populated partly by legalistic, selfish, politically and idealogically clueless IDIOTS! Most folks are fine, but some more than make up for the good people by being total D!@#%$&ds!

Horses' posteriors in the most virulent form of the term, who are more concerned about the governor mandating masks and the fact that he didn't convene a month-long (as that's about how long it would take to gather the legislators, have them meet, debate the issue and pass a resolution) before arbitrarily mandating masking for eveybody, on pain of steep fines for noncompliance. Several are even talking about mounting protests at the capitol about the fining part, insisting that the governor does not have the right to fine people for noncompliance, yadda, yadda, yadda, ad nauseum... than the fact that we need to wear the damn things to protect each other. *pant, pant*

HELLO, maybe we should be worrying more about massive rises in cases instead of who has the right to crank out what mandate? Am I missing something here?

GAAAAHHHHGGGHHHHH!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 05:28:28 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1037 on: July 06, 2020, 12:51:23 am »

The Admiral can concur, I'm sure. Texas is populated partly by legalistic, selfish, politically and idealogically clueless IDIOTS! Most folks are fine, but some more than make up for the good people by being total D!@#%$&ds!

Horses' posteriors in the most virulent form of the term, who are more concerned about the governor mandating masks and the fact that he didn't convene a month-long (as that's about how long it would take to gather the legislators, have them meet, debate the issue and pass a resolution) before arbitrarily mandating masking for eveybody, on pain of steep fines for noncompliance. Several are even talking about mounting protests at the capitol about the fining part, insisting that the governor does not have the right to fine people for noncompliance, yadda, yadda, yadda, ad nauseum... than the fact that we need to wear the damn things to protect each other. *pant, pant*

HELLO, maybe we should be worrying more about massive rises in cases instead of who has the right to crank out what mandate? Am I missing something here?

GAAAAHHHHGGGHHHHH!

I'm convinced that people in both sides of the political spectrum are hell-bent on all of us getting sick. It is very alarming. I just saw an interview with Austin Mayor Adler. We are 15 days from running out of hospital beds in Austin. 10 away from running out of ICU beds. Over 8k cases per day in Texas??

I'm really scared about this one. I'm having strong thoughts about parting to California to visit, and possibly live with my mother while I still have a little money (although getting along with her will be nigh impossible and what about isolation when moving from one state to another? ), but things are not much better there. All I can hope is that Governor Newsom can reign in things in California soon. Governor Abbot in Texas screwed up by opening too soon. To his credit he's shutting bars down as well as dining halls.

My fear is being locked in the State, without a way out or a hospital bed if need be. México is no better, they are hiding figures, and they just surpassed France and Spain in the number of cases. I couldn't get my citizenship last year and so the border is closed to me. My mother is still a citizen, with no passport, but if the consulate is open she could cross the border to San Diego in 30 minutes if she wanted. But the COVID situation is dire in Tijuana. And the political situation down there is ridiculous (you can read Forbes latest articles on President AMLO, it's not pretty), so even going there would be a challenge even if I asked to get in on humanitarian terms.

Maybe it's time to finda an RV and mount a Steampunk expedition to West Texas? The weather in the Van Horn and Davis Mountains area is nice...

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:07:04 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1038 on: July 09, 2020, 02:55:48 am »

Ubuntu OS just  Lips sealed ed itself in an update, and refused to reinstall without erasing everything first. I'm unimpressed with this OS.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1039 on: July 09, 2020, 08:37:57 am »

Ubuntu OS just  Lips sealed ed itself in an update, and refused to reinstall without erasing everything first. I'm unimpressed with this OS.

Ubuntu is not all that it's cracked up to be because it's always "trying too hard." They've added so many bells and whistles that I spend a good time turning them off. There is an option to erase the previous installation. It's usually the very first step or second, and it shows you a graph of a hard drive or a laptop - that's where the error happened. It doesn't just happen spontaneously.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1040 on: July 09, 2020, 10:43:53 am »

My problem isn't my Kubuntu OS, or even my Windows 7 OS (dual OS). It's my entire desktop. With working from home, I need it updated so I have bought Windows 10. Of course, these days you don't get anything physical so I had to download it, so I did and put in on a USB flash drive. I tried to check that is was a good copy but my Win 7 partition couldn't help. Tried to install it, but no, the USB isn't set up for booting. Talked to a techie from work, ran some software and found the download was broken. Also tried to remove the Linux parts off the HDD, but now the desktop won't boot anything.

So I will have to go to work next week and get the techie to fix things... means actually seeing another human being in person. <shiver>

Sorontar
in lockdown

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1041 on: July 10, 2020, 04:29:43 pm »

GAAAAHHHHGGGHHHHH!

Just reread this and realized what a complete grammatical clusterfornication it is. I was in a bit of a rage when I typed it, but still. My apologies and congratulations to anyone who read this and actually figured out what I was trying to say...  Embarrassed .
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1042 on: July 12, 2020, 12:16:07 am »

aaaand no the laptop with ubuntu has somehow deleted all the charging/power monitoring, so that I have no idea if the battery is charging or running low etc. there is no charging light lit on the side when plugged in so I'm wondering if maybe the power port has lost a connection. But is it coincidence that it's happening now or did it delete the power setting when the connector broke?

maybe the heat if a factor? I just don't know any more. It just keeps breaking over and over again.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1043 on: July 12, 2020, 01:07:02 am »

aaaand no the laptop with ubuntu has somehow deleted all the charging/power monitoring, so that I have no idea if the battery is charging or running low etc. there is no charging light lit on the side when plugged in so I'm wondering if maybe the power port has lost a connection. But is it coincidence that it's happening now or did it delete the power setting when the connector broke?

maybe the heat if a factor? I just don't know any more. It just keeps breaking over and over again.

Rovingjack: the light on the connector has nothing to do with Linux. That is entirely a hardware issue. On computers it's common for some connections to be broken, such that temperature differences translate to sudden failures m

You said re-install. What's the original operating system? Is this a laptop or chrome book?
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1044 on: July 12, 2020, 01:40:37 am »

The Admiral can concur, I'm sure. Texas is populated partly by legalistic, selfish, politically and idealogically clueless IDIOTS! ..... Several are even talking about mounting protests at the capitol about the fining part, insisting that the governor does not have the right to fine people for noncompliance, yadda, yadda, yadda, ad nauseum... than the fact that we need to wear the damn things to protect each other. *pant, pant*....Am I missing something here?
GAAAAHHHHGGGHHHHH!

Just reread this and realized what a complete grammatical clusterfornication it is. I was in a bit of a rage when I typed it, but still. My apologies and congratulations to anyone who read this and actually figured out what I was trying to say...  Embarrassed .

It seems you were upset about something.....I think.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1045 on: July 12, 2020, 06:02:59 am »

Rovingjack: the light on the connector has nothing to do with Linux. That is entirely a hardware issue. On computers it's common for some connections to be broken, such that temperature differences translate to sudden failures m

You said re-install. What's the original operating system? Is this a laptop or chrome book?

I used it off and on all day. powering it off and on a few times. Then about an hour ago it just cut off and went to black. I plugged it in and the two lights were both working again, then I turned it on and magically the charging indicator is back and the power percentage has returned. it's charging now. I think I will only let it sleep for now and not power it down or let it off the charger for a few days at least.

Once I've taken care of a few things I'll look in to opening it and potentially replacing the socket. It's just being a brat at this point.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1046 on: July 13, 2020, 04:08:12 pm »

I used it off and on all day. powering it off and on a few times. Then about an hour ago it just cut off and went to black. I plugged it in and the two lights were both working again, then I turned it on and magically the charging indicator is back and the power percentage has returned. it's charging now. I think I will only let it sleep for now and not power it down or let it off the charger for a few days at least.

Once I've taken care of a few things I'll look in to opening it and potentially replacing the socket. It's just being a brat at this point.

It might simply be a semi-detached solder joint on the power socket. But depending on a laptop, it might be a pain in the hind end to open up. I for one have no friggin' chance of opening up my Lenovo N500 without having to completely take it to bits. And considering its age, it's not even worth it.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1047 on: July 13, 2020, 09:07:35 pm »

"Ask" is not a noun!

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1048 on: July 13, 2020, 09:41:02 pm »

It might simply be a semi-detached solder joint on the power socket. But depending on a laptop, it might be a pain in the hind end to open up. I for one have no friggin' chance of opening up my Lenovo N500 without having to completely take it to bits. And considering its age, it's not even worth it.

yep, I suspect that is part of it. why ubuntu would disappear the power settings of all kinds when that happened IDK. it's like it immediately switched over to assuming it was a desktop with no battery or ac adapter. and then just a unexplainedly brought it back. whatever. when I have some time I'll pop it all open and fiddle with the power socket.

in the mean time I went to file my taxes and found that the document I had from Social security from february was not infact the document I need from them. I tried signing into my online account, that I haven't used in years and the password for which is gone... so they locked me out for 24 hour, 50 some odd hours before I have to file the taxes. So I called their offices and waded through their terrible automated machine maze, and requested a new 1099... it'll be here in time for august... which does me no good. So I tried talking to somebody and was told it would be a 3 hour wait. I don't have that kind of minutes on my phone.

Guess I will try angain tomorrow, and failing that I will file an extention. Pain in the butt.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1049 on: July 13, 2020, 10:44:52 pm »

"Ask" is not a noun!

Huh

Why, haven't you ever heard of the "Ask of the Covenant?"  and "Egypt's terrible ask"?
Just asking...

Grin
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: