The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 28, 2020, 05:59:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 61512 times)
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #1000 on: April 30, 2020, 08:04:53 am »

I can manage to wrap my brain around the snap traps because

1) I TOLD THEM.
     I went out and specifically told all the local mice and The Mouse Nation that they were welcome on the property
     If And Only IF they stayed out of the house, sheds, garage. cars, attics, crawlspaces, walls, ceiling, pipes ....
     I was quite specific.
    And I told them if they followed the rules they   could share the birdseed.

I came out once and moved a stack of woof and found a mouse frozen in place staring at me, so I told it
"it's OK, you are outside and the woodpile is not forbidden"

2) Circle of Life and all -
I feed the dead mice to the Ravens.
I was trapping 3-5 mice daily and feeding the Ravens, Now they recognize me and talk to me.
After I started getting the holes plugged and not catching any  I usually greet them and tell them, sorry, no mousey's today!

Sooooo after a week a Raven came and put a dead lizard in a bowl on the porch for me. Awfully kind creatures!

yhs
pof mlv

Too funny, your spelling out the rules to the mouses.  Grin
And as for the raven and the lizard, I think it was offering to trade. You said  you hadn't had any dead mice for the ravens for a while . So I can see the Raven's actions as: "Here's a lizard for you, 'cause I sure do like mouse better than lizard (when I can get it)."   

Oh My yes!
I also have a special relationship with the Pack Rats. Most folks complain tha tthe Pack Rats steel anything pretty and shiny -
screws, coins, small tools, etc.

Our packrats trade!  If they take something, they always leave pinon nuts, seeds, or such right on the same spot!
Sooo, if they invade the peoplespace, they get livetrapped and relocated :-)

yhs
prof marvel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1001 on: May 02, 2020, 07:36:26 am »

As a landlord I am legally required to perform a number of tasks on my properties, one of which is a yearly "Gas Safety" certification. This involves a registered "Gas Safe" technician visiting the property and inspecting / testing all natural gas appliances in the home (gas cooker / hob, hot water heater / central heating boiler etc.). Landlords and/or managing agents can be convicted for non-compliance, the standard penalty is a £6,000 fine for each item and/or 6 months imprisonment. In the most serious cases charges of manslaughter could be brought. Also insurance cover could be invalidated for non-compliance to the regulations.

In other words : NOT AN OPTION.

However one of my tenants is not allowing anyone in due to the C-19 virus pandemic - which to be honest is fair enough, I do get it. BUT I don't have a choice in this, and no matter what I say or explain to the tenant, they are having non of it. I even pointed out that he should be safe now as he cancelled the original test date due to "Having caught the virus infection and so self isolating" about two months ago....  Nope, not having it.  Roll Eyes

Yesterday I spend several hours dealing the county council, who are NOT HAPPY with the expired safety cert. However they agree there is little I can do at the moment, but that still does not absolve me of the legal issues - and the council can't help here as this is a UK law created by the government. Several groups have been pressuring the government to ease the rules for this, perhaps a 6 month extension - but so far they have resisted and insist that all safety checks are completed.

And so here I sit collecting all the evidence of attempted compliance to check one of my properties. Tenant has not replied to SMS text messages or paper letters through his door (though I think he is probably burning all mail...), and instead he phones me to grumble about the issue. I can't really record him and have it legally usable in court without his permission to do so, and I know he wont be keen on that either.  Undecided

Even with the complete evidence, or even a signed statement by the tenant he "understands the issue and safety aspect yet still refuses entry", I am still facing a possible large fine and / or imprisonment.....   Huh

Gah does not even cover it.  Sad

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1002 on: May 02, 2020, 09:31:33 am »

Can you get the gas disconnected as a safety hazard until the tenant complies?
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #1003 on: May 02, 2020, 09:47:53 am »

Oh My I like that!

I don't know if you can do this in the UK, but over here....
we can get a court order to go onto the premises for specific xyz purposes ( ie inspect the gas) and get the sherrifs
office to send a deputy with the landlord and technician to serve it.

Sooo. you can explain to the moron,
 "the tech is coming on day date time, with mask & gloves. You can let the ONE  tech in to inspect -OR-
I will get a court order and me and a bunch of coppers and the tech will come in by FORCE, and you will have
to deal with 5 or more of us breathing into your apartment....."

or you could hire the Pirhanna Brothers.  Doug and Dinsdale.

yhs
prof marvel
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1004 on: May 02, 2020, 03:36:18 pm »

Nope, that's a big NO-NO. It would be illegal for me to interfere with the supply as the gas supply is between the tenant and the energy supplier, it's the landlord supplied appliances that I am legally responsible for, as they are my property.

Same thing applies with electrical appliances supplied by the landlord (again a yearly safety test), and every five years I have to have a full inspection of all the electrical infrastructure of the property past the electric meter (the meter and incoming service belong to the district network operator). Luckily all my electrical certs are up to date.

As for court order.... dunno about that. Certainly not at the moment though, most of this type of court work is off the cards until after the C-19 lockdown ends, and even then there is a huge backlog, so will be MONTHS before this gets to a judge.  Undecided

My thinking is: the tenant is all talk but has the fortitude of a wet paper bag, so if I can convince the council to send a letter on their headed paper to him, something that LOOKS like it's important (the council really don't have much pull here) and simply mentions "...further action will be required...", then that MIGHT just be enough to freak him out and get him to comply. I have already tried to get the Landlord / Housing section of the council to do so, but they avoided the request and kept changing the subject. I think I will have to go a bit harder on the social engineering...
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1005 on: May 03, 2020, 12:07:20 am »

Nope, that's a big NO-NO. It would be illegal for me to interfere with the supply as the gas supply is between the tenant and the energy supplier, it's the landlord supplied appliances that I am legally responsible for, as they are my property.

Same thing applies with electrical appliances supplied by the landlord (again a yearly safety test), and every five years I have to have a full inspection of all the electrical infrastructure of the property past the electric meter (the meter and incoming service belong to the district network operator). Luckily all my electrical certs are up to date.

As for court order.... dunno about that. Certainly not at the moment though, most of this type of court work is off the cards until after the C-19 lockdown ends, and even then there is a huge backlog, so will be MONTHS before this gets to a judge.  Undecided

My thinking is: the tenant is all talk but has the fortitude of a wet paper bag, so if I can convince the council to send a letter on their headed paper to him, something that LOOKS like it's important (the council really don't have much pull here) and simply mentions "...further action will be required...", then that MIGHT just be enough to freak him out and get him to comply. I have already tried to get the Landlord / Housing section of the council to do so, but they avoided the request and kept changing the subject. I think I will have to go a bit harder on the social engineering...

What I really should have added to my original comment is Grin, as it really was meant as a bit of dark humour! I know you can't do that, but it can be used as a threat!
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1006 on: May 11, 2020, 12:42:43 pm »

Just been informed by my boss I will be in lockdown for another 3 weeks at least. 10 weeks with no income............. GAAAAAHHH!!!! Could be time to hit that government support supposedly on offer for self employed and see what happens me thinks  Roll Eyes

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1007 on: May 11, 2020, 03:58:13 pm »

Just been informed by my boss I will be in lockdown for another 3 weeks at least. 10 weeks with no income............. GAAAAAHHH!!!! Could be time to hit that government support supposedly on offer for self employed and see what happens me thinks  Roll Eyes
What happens? They ask you to wait...
You cannot access the financial support yet. We’ll send you another email soon to tell you when the claim system is available for you to use. We expect this to be between 13 and 18‌‌ May.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1008 on: May 11, 2020, 04:50:01 pm »

What happens? They ask you to wait...
You cannot access the financial support yet. We’ll send you another email soon to tell you when the claim system is available for you to use. We expect this to be between 13 and 18‌‌ May.

I'm a lucky one, I have a little savings to fall back on, not a lot, could last another few months.

Don't mind waiting and play the red tape game if I could possibly get a fraction of earnings lost, but I somehow feel slightly guilty in claiming when I know so many people are in a much more desperate situation than me, but my accountant says I'm a fool not to do it. Undecided
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1009 on: May 11, 2020, 08:52:07 pm »

SeVeNeVeS,
There are always people less well off than you but that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply. Ask for help before you go broke. Whatever you don't use pass on, e.g. lockdown food parcels which I got as an asthmatic without a car. Anything I can't use goes to the nearest Food Bank. Buy what you need then make a donation or a purchase towards community help.  Volunteer time, work, etc. as you can.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1010 on: May 12, 2020, 02:20:15 pm »

I'm having a Ken Loach film scene experience with the situation, no joy with the website, I've been paying in for over 30 years, given all relevant info, but I am suddenly not recognized as a person.

......... I, Daniel Blake........... if you have not seen it, then seek it, just about sums up claiming any kind of support in this country, depressing film but rings oh, so true . Good luck to any-one trying.

One last try with the aid of my accountant tomorrow, then fuck it.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1011 on: May 12, 2020, 03:02:09 pm »

I'm having a Ken Loach film scene experience with the situation, no joy with the website, I've been paying in for over 30 years, given all relevant info, but I am suddenly not recognized as a person.

......... I, Daniel Blake........... if you have not seen it, then seek it, just about sums up claiming any kind of support in this country, depressing film but rings oh, so true . Good luck to any-one trying.

It's not so different on this side. The issue being that most software used by the states is written in COBOL  Roll Eyes I first learned to use computers in 1987, and even I didn't even get to see COBOL in college  Roll Eyes

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1012 on: May 13, 2020, 03:21:14 am »

It's not so different on this side. The issue being that most software used by the states is written in COBOL  Roll Eyes I first learned to use computers in 1987, and even I didn't even get to see COBOL in college  Roll Eyes

COBOL's what they used to teach us basic programming, using the Univerity of Houston (UH)'s Data Processing dept.'s rather antiquated mainframe, on which we were each assigned an account and given a very very simple (yet still rather maddening) "beancount" program to study, debug and write a certain subroutine for. In other words, we typed in the code and the people in the Main Processing Room (or whatever they called it, I can't really remember) punched the cards and ran the program. Turnaround was about a week, since the machine the stuff ran on was also the Dept.'s fancy grade and University business system; only then, after 5 or more days, could you peruse your cards to find out why the code didn't run correctly (only one person's ever did  the first time, or so I heard), make the right (hopefully) changes, and have then run it again, in order to find out a week later if you screwed it up again *sigh*. That was about 1980 or 81, if I remember correctly. Unhappily.

I was also a student in the last Math class at UH in which use of the slide rule was taught, in about 1981 (or was it '82? I forget; unrelated to the Computer anecdote). We even had the ginormous classroom visual aid slide rule up front that the professor (I forget his name) did examples on.

About all I really remember of it (unwillingly) is the way the COBOL logic was structured and how to map it out ("flowcharting," they called it. Yes, I do realize that was a  a typical noob word for it even back then. As I said, I was a student, and a very bottom-of-the ladder beginner at that). I might be able to learn how to write code in it again, but to be perfectly honest, I don't really want to! (lol). I also have yet to lose my visceral revulsion for those green-on-black CRT monitors, The white-on-black was even worse...

Trust me, COBOL's a deadly tedious, GAAAGGHHH-inspiring language.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 03:39:47 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1013 on: May 13, 2020, 05:16:24 am »

Took two semesters of COBOL in '93 on a VAX 11/780. One thing COBOL has going for it, though, is that it's not BASIC. Tongue

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1014 on: May 13, 2020, 06:20:42 am »

I did see Basic, but as a teenager, and the only time I used it was on a Tandy programmable calculator.

I learned FORTRAN 77  in 1989 first in San Diego. Then, when I moved to Austin in 1994 I continued the Fortran classes on a mainframe computer called "bongo." No punch cards. Just a dumb terminal and when you did your homework, the printout was issued on the building across the street. I'd have to go down 2 flights of stairs, cross the street into the computation center, and they'd have these giant wire hangers where they'd hang the perforated dot matrix printout like if it was linen at a dry cleaners!  Cheesy

Bongo was retired only one semester after in 1995.  By 1996 professors at the Engineering Mechanics department were playing with arrays of 4 x4 Linux desktop computers to see if they could implement "massively"  parallel computation. For homework I was using old AlphaDEC and Sun SPARC workstations, and for everything else desktop PCs. I went trough 486 thorough to Pentium III while in school. In graduate school I was sharing some nodes in a Cray T3E mainframe doing parallel computation, and that is when I learned that we could have 64 bit AMD laptops, I made the move to Linux, consolidating my Windows and Unix work. I had a Pentium 4 at home.

It's amazing how fast things were changing back then. I guess because of college, I never gave it a second thought.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1015 on: May 13, 2020, 06:53:17 am »

The website opens today at 8am, apparently. Best of luck... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52642197
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1016 on: May 13, 2020, 01:56:35 pm »

Took two semesters of COBOL in '93 on a VAX 11/780. One thing COBOL has going for it, though, is that it's not BASIC. Tongue

HAHA....One and only programming class I ever took was Basic....1977, University of Hawaii....(got an A) Grin

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1017 on: May 13, 2020, 02:38:16 pm »

Did some BASIC just out of curiosity in the late 80s. Didn't have a computer of any kind, learned it from a very hard to work with book, and wrote it out by hand!
My first computer course of any kind was in 1986, word processing on an Apple Apricot, so called, I think because the print was not the green on black version, but dark orange on what was supposed to be black but very often had the palest tint of orange colour background on it's very small 12" screen!!
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1018 on: May 14, 2020, 12:26:52 am »

Started in Basic on Commodore 64 and Tandy/Radio Shack Colour Computer in the 1980s. When I started at uni, I would have two VT100 terminals open - one with vi open so I could edit the progam, and the other running the program (so two colours, no graphics). Now teaching R and Python and how to make pretty graphs about data.

I was exposed to COBOL but never used it. I have however used Prolog as the main language for a job.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #1019 on: May 14, 2020, 01:04:02 am »

At UBC in Vancouver, Canada, we learned programming in FORTRAN; this would have been about 1976 or 77. We punched our own cards (does anyone remember those newspaper ads - "BECOME A PUNCH CARD OPERATOR!! AN ASSURED CAREER FOR LIFE!!!) and ran them through the WATFIV compiler down in the basement of the Computer Science building; the process would then usually stop halfway and issue a message in impenetrable jargon, usually meaning that we'd misplaced a comma somewhere. The computer, an IBM 360, filled the entire basement and the printer for student use on the ground floor was about the size of a small diesel locomotive. I sometimes suspected that the computer was installed first and then the building was constructed around it.

Later I taught myself the elements of BASIC, which was similar to FORTRAN in some ways, and HPL, which was only of use on Hewlett Packard machines of course. As with their calculators, HP did everything different; at least you could write more than one command per line. This would have been about 1981 or 82. Since when I've never had any occasion to do any coding, so I've almost certainly forgotten most of it; I just remember punching up huge armloads of cards for relatively simple programs, which was probably the most tedious stuff I've ever had to do. And of course if you dropped your stack of cards on the floor, you were done for . . . .

And, yes, I too remember, back in the 1960s, using tables of logarithms and doing engineering calculations in pounds and inches with a slide rule, back when BR was still maintaining steam locomotives and woolly mammoths still roamed the Earth. We were a lot more innocent in those days I guess . . . . .

Athanor

Vero vobis dico, qui quaerit, inveniet eius. Et saepius, parum volet.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1020 on: May 14, 2020, 06:31:23 am »

You guys are making me feel young! Keep it up!!  Grin
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1021 on: May 14, 2020, 09:50:14 am »

Have a read of some research articles by Dr Paul Beynon-Davies about early information technologies
- Informatics and the Inca - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0268401207000783 ,
- Neolithic informatics: The nature of information - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/240433797_Neolithic_informatics_The_nature_of_information

They will make you realise what youngsters have missed!

Sorontar
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1022 on: May 14, 2020, 04:05:45 pm »

Have a read of some research articles by Dr Paul Beynon-Davies about early information technologies
- Informatics and the Inca - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0268401207000783 ,
- Neolithic informatics: The nature of information - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/240433797_Neolithic_informatics_The_nature_of_information

They will make you realise what youngsters have missed!

Sorontar

Well you're not THAT old!  Grin Although I love to read about ancient tech. The subject of Neolithic through Bronze Ages informatics is quite fascinating, and in particular Amerindian cultures because they span both eras and they stretched across the same Eras in Europe (eg Germanic /Scandinavian through Ancient Greece), but because of their isolation their period skipped across the Western Middle Ages, and Early Renaissance people (ie Spain) ended up coming in contact directly with these two long forgotten eras.

Some information is not only archeological in nature, but rather historically recorded (ie Aztec, early 1520s) and sometimes from first written accounts (ie "Broken Spears" / Visión de los Vencidos) when Natives were taught to write in the Latin Alphabet and translate into Spanish. Symbols were used to signify locations, organizations, even tax collection and revenue (Aztec). Both spoken word and logographic writing were translated into Spanish. The Classic Maya were long gone by then, but by the 1970 their complex Japanese-  like hybrid writing system would begin to be deciphered. The calendar probably being their most sophisticated device for computation, the Aztec being more simple than the Maya, but the Maya being of higher complexity (3 layered cyclic computation) thanks to their cosmological belief system and their development of a base 20 number system with the zero, which according to archeological finds precedes any example of a number system with zero in the old world.

You can't get any closer to the ancient world than that. I think that the Classic Maya probably being the most developed one, by far, but all levels of development in the Americas give you a clear glimpse of the development of informatics from the ground up.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #1023 on: May 14, 2020, 08:32:41 pm »

Not sure if I'd call this a Gahh, so much as a, "sure, lets see where this goes. don't say I didn't warn you."

So on saturday I go into my expendable essential job, Take a photo of my scheduled week this week. I've got tuesday and thursday off. I work my shift, go home. I come back in on monday and do my shift, talk with an assistant manager about the coming week, look at the schedule to verify when I will work with them again. wednesday, I come in and work my shift and head home. I get a text thursday, one of my days off this week.

So basically I'm scheduled for two days off this week, and while I'm on one of my days off, she just decides she's going to take away my other day off to fill a shift, and neither asks me or tells me that's what's been done, and then when I'm following the schedule I've got, blames me for not abiding by changes she made when I wasn't there, with less than 48 hours before the changed shift.

So basically I'm not taking that BS, and I'll tell her to her face. I'll not quit. But she's more than welcome to fire me. I don't take the heat for the the problems of others. She and the job do not own me. I make a place for it in my life, voluntarily. I treat the job with respect, and I give it priority in scheduling my life around it, but I will not be ordered to drop the rest of my life on a days notice because somebody else deems my life unimportant enough to not ask if I could be available when I'm not scheduled.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1024 on: May 15, 2020, 02:10:09 am »

Not sure if I'd call this a Gahh, so much as a, "sure, lets see where this goes. don't say I didn't warn you."

So on saturday I go into my expendable essential job, Take a photo of my scheduled week this week. I've got tuesday and thursday off. I work my shift, go home. I come back in on monday and do my shift, talk with an assistant manager about the coming week, look at the schedule to verify when I will work with them again. wednesday, I come in and work my shift and head home. I get a text thursday, one of my days off this week.

So basically I'm scheduled for two days off this week, and while I'm on one of my days off, she just decides she's going to take away my other day off to fill a shift, and neither asks me or tells me that's what's been done, and then when I'm following the schedule I've got, blames me for not abiding by changes she made when I wasn't there, with less than 48 hours before the changed shift.

So basically I'm not taking that BS, and I'll tell her to her face. I'll not quit. But she's more than welcome to fire me. I don't take the heat for the the problems of others. She and the job do not own me. I make a place for it in my life, voluntarily. I treat the job with respect, and I give it priority in scheduling my life around it, but I will not be ordered to drop the rest of my life on a days notice because somebody else deems my life unimportant enough to not ask if I could be available when I'm not scheduled.

Is that transcript accurate down to the tone of voice used? If the work relationship is that adversarial, then that's definitely not a good place to be. Find another shop who needs night stockers or cashiers. I don't let anyone talk to me that way, under any conditions.

PS. Sounds like a bad apple to me. Similar to the owner's assistant I've had to deal with for years and the one my boss assured me was not over me... What's next? She grabbing you by the neck and knocking on your head , saying "Hello...hello? Anybody there?" Classic Biff style bully move. Don't let them fire you or quit. Just give notice and go on your terms, there's plenty of need for people at supermarkets, it's just that the available jobs suck and are dangerous during the pandemic. Don't let them affect your unemployment or hiring prospect.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:21:30 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: