The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 21, 2019, 06:59:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We Stand with Orlando  (Read 974 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: June 12, 2016, 08:08:45 pm »

We stand with Orlando against ignorance. Against the forces of intolerance and hate. Against totalitarianism and absolutism, and violence, the very tools of evil whatever you may call it.

To the people in Orlando, LGBQT or not, we are all one and the same. As we walk through the valley of darkness, hatred and radical ideology seems to be sprouting all around the world, including right here at home.

Stand against those who would put words in the mouth of God, and use His name in vain, in order to murder, control and abuse millions of people.

Stand together now and let the world know we are not going back to the age of darkness and fear.

Stand against both, terrorists and demagogues who would have you go back in time to an era where you could be controlled by fear, because in the end, that's all they want.

J. Wilhelm

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 08:41:35 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 09:31:24 pm »

I'll note that the shooter did not identify as Christian, but a certain other religion.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 09:38:50 pm »

Perhaps it's better to keep that off the board, as regards the no politics/religion rule.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 10:14:01 pm »

The no swearing rule prevents my first response and the no firearm/politics stymies my second.

There are cruel people in this world, people who use distortions of faith or ideologies to needlessly inflict pain, misery and suffering on their fellow man. They need to be opposed, not in kind because violence in response to violence just breeds more of the same. But opposed with education, outreach and the disarming of those who'd endeavour to forge others into weapons.

What we require is less fear, less anger and self-righteous fury, and more of the opposite of war.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 11:25:50 pm »

Terrorists, Racists, Queerbashers etc. keep claiming that their targets weren't real people and that they don't deserve to be safe, happy ,alive.

Diminishing those around you does not make you more worthy.

Murderers are not demonstrating love for a faith any more than rapists are expressing love for those they abuse.

Everybody everywhere is a real person, not a target.

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 02:24:52 am »

If your choice of action is to target a group of unarmed innocent people because you dislike them, whether it is for personal, cultural or religious beliefs, and your misguided thinking makes you confident that your actions will pave the way to make that other group of people stop being / doing what it is you hate, and begin acting within and following your own belief system.....
YOU ARE F***ING DELUDED AND REQUIRE PSYCHIATRIC CARE! Roll Eyes

You are not a martyr to your cause - you are nothing but a pus filled hemorrhoid on the ass of all humanity. Something we would all live better lives without.

Anyone with firearms who attacks unarmed innocent civilians, is nothing more than a COWARD.  Angry

My sympathies and condolences go out to all the families affected by this tragic incident.

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 10:10:09 am »

I say a hearty "amen" to ALL of the above. There is NEVER any legitimate reason whatsoever for this kind of reprehensible action, at any time.

While there are those whose actions and/or beliefs I cannot support, that does not permit me to take things into my own hands. One thing that lets me sleep at night is that I heartily believe that in the end justice will be done, whether in this life or in the one to come.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:10:41 am by creagmor » Logged

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 01:25:04 pm »

As a proud and out steampunk who literally wears it on his chest I say I couldn't give a fig about the perpetrators religion as other mainstream ones have implicitly aided and abetted the warped mindset that I and other LGBT people are less worthy than they are to exist.

Many are using this awful event to attack one particular faith when many are guilty and I will not live in fear because of their books and their way of life.

I will not be afraid of their hatred and they will never beat me and others back into the closet.

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Nephele
Zeppelin Captain

MISTRESS OF NAMES

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 01:43:21 am »

J. Wilhelm, I was searching the forum for any of your postings about the Luftschiffengel and I came across this.

Very well said.

And I stand with Orlando, too.

-- Nephele
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 10:42:24 am »

Je suis Orlando
Nous somas Orlando
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 05:42:39 am »

It's too early to attribute motive. We now know that the shooter had been visiting the club for three years, and was on Grindr, Jack'd, and Adam4Adam, the gay dating apps. Now it turns out his wife helped him buy ammo. WTF?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 12:57:39 pm »

For one reason or the other the motive was hate - whether of himself or everyone else. If it hadn't been the nightclub it would have been some other place full of innocents.

Still stand with Orlando, whatever the motivation.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 09:45:11 pm »

Let's not discuss the motivation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: