The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 24, 2021, 11:10:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ladylike bottoms  (Read 3919 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2016, 01:57:26 am »

Maori Women dress reformers 1906

steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2016, 08:42:02 pm »

I had the perfect pair of jodphurs back in the '80s, just didn't know they were steampunk. 
They were straight leg trousers with contrasting panels in the sides from waist to knee; the straight legs fastened with big brass snaps to hide or reveal the contrast.  Fully unsnapped, they looked like jodphurs.
Made by Bugle Boy as I recall; you might find them on eBay...
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 01:13:08 pm »

Thank you very much everyone, I shall now take to Ebay and search frantically for some vintage jodhpurs. I must admit I was terribly confused when everyone started suggesting them. I am probably one of the babies on this thread (18YO) and I used to have a horse I would ride and had only ever seen the very modern tight fitting style. I feel a tight pair of jodhpurs would give a more lady bottoms look than a lady like bottoms look Cheesy
Captain Trellis
Snr. Officer
England England

Auspicium melioris ævi

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 09:00:47 pm »

"I feel a tight pair of jodhpurs would give a more lady bottoms look than a lady like bottoms look."

...again with all the lady bottoms.

I need a lie down.

Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2016, 01:04:37 am »

Does this thread get confused often with "Bottom Explorers"?  Shall we merge the two?

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2016, 03:49:57 am »

That's going straight to NSFW.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2016, 11:06:13 pm »

What about a ladies split riding skirt. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are a few variations and I have seen some patterns out there.
(apologies if I have copied someone else's suggestion)

Also the cheap way to get jodhpurs is to get baggy corduroy pants at a thrift store and tailor the lower leg - and if necessary the waistline.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 03:37:22 am »

This ladies' pattern has jodhpur type pants that look rather strange, I think its wide leg section is too high. (I just love the jacket worn with the peplum, though!)
http://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-pattern-8114-misses-steampunk-costumes/8114.html

This men's pattern looks exactly as it should.
https://butterick.mccall.com/b6340

Old-style jodhpurs were exactly what I was thinking of.  The men's pattern here looks excellent, the ladies' rather lacking. 

As for temperature, it has been my experience that clothing made of a very lightweight wool worsted fabric (often called "tropical wool" and sold for mens suits) is more comfortable and cool than even cotton.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2016, 03:38:47 am »

That is a very interesting photograph.  Thank you for sharing.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2016, 03:56:51 am »

That is a very interesting photograph.  Thank you for sharing.

I don't know about "Latina Cowgirls," as those would be American ethnic and occupational classification terms (Latina and Cowboy) which would not have been used back then (or even now) in relation to Mexican women and Mexican farmhands, respectively. Perhaps the more accurate term would be Ranchera or "[Lady] Rancher."

Let's not forget either the rare but certain participation of women in the Mexican Revolution (Civil War) or 1910:

Besides the housewives who opted to follow their husbands to their camp and tend the men, you also had a few soldiers, as well as professional journalists, spies, and even military commanders.

https://www.belelu.com/2013/11/las-mujeres-de-la-revolucion-mexicana/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:13:08 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 08:28:10 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
A fascinating photo, Hurricane Annie!

You can find German military cadet jodphers in military surplus shops (G. I. Jane has an online shop for international trade)
They're fabulous.

I've made bloomers using this pattern
http://babayagamusic.com/Dance-Costumes/harem-pants-and-pantaloons.htm

but using two meters of cloth per leg, as the ATS dancers recommend.
I pleat the waist, rather than using gathers so my corset fits smoothly over them and voilà- comfortable, capricious and splendid!

I remain yours,
Prof Cecily
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 10:18:31 am »

I  discovered this blog  on line today . The vintage culotte pants  are to die for.

http://www.messynessychic.com/2016/06/14/a-photographers-forgotten-muse-on-the-french-riviera/
Rolan_Kraps
Deck Hand

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 12:05:27 am »

"Super warm" and "Wales" doesn't really add up as I live outside of Atlanta, Georgia.  A new definition of "hot and humid".  I would look at Victorial Swim ware or (as already stated) Jodhpurs.

Cheers.

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2017, 02:25:53 pm »

Until I get a decent computer making proper posts is impossible. I can't access my photobucket I'm afraid. so just have to post links instead of actual pictures. Still although it's been mentioned before, it is worth repeating. You don't have to suffer in heat at all. Light fabrics such as cotton, linen, seersucker etc are perfectly period correct (for those that care). And just because some of those crazy C19th folks insisted on wearing umpteen layers in tropical temperatures doesn't mean we have to. If you want to get your legs out feel free, much as many folks will tell you hotpants and mini skirts didn't come along for decades, well they're just plain wrong. Sure you probably couldn't wear 'em on the street without being arrested, but we live in the modern world (at least in the west) with no such restrictions.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://flavorwire.com/195225/fascinating-photos-of-19th-century-vaudeville-and-burlesque-performers&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjSkIq15bLSAhWqJcAKHdbQC9IQwW4IGjAC&usg=AFQjCNEzgGO

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: