The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 16, 2019, 11:49:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simplicity 1558 corset- anyone else had this problem?  (Read 1490 times)
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

Lady Aveline Tamara Claudia Read III... or Madam T

« on: June 09, 2016, 02:48:20 pm »

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anybody else has made this pattern and if you've run into the same problem I have
Simplicity 1558:  http://images.patternreview.com/sewing/patterns/simplicity/1558/1558.jpg

So I'm making the corset-style cincher belt from this pattern at my sewing class, and as I was stitching the panels together, I realised that one seemed to be way too small to fit in with the others (I think it was the corset side front piece, the third panel from the front). Now this might be my first corset style garment but I am by no means a rookie dressmaker and even my teacher who is really experienced could not work out how it went on. Since it was the length of the panel that was the problem, and the fact that I had cut all my pieces to the proper size anyway, we have come to the conclusion that it's just a flaw in the pattern.

Anyway, I have a back up plan (fortunately I'm OK at altering patterns and I plan to just re shape the top a bit) I just wondered if any of my fellow steampunk dressmakers had problems with this pattern as well, and if you found any other way to get around it? If its not just me my teacher suggested trying to get in touch with simplicity to let them know there's a flaw in the pattern...

Thanks,
Madam T

Medicate with tea ♥

......don't piss me off.....or I shall put you in my next book.....
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 09:17:33 pm »

Why not just google it.  There are a number of dressmaker sites that do criticism of commercial dress patterns.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 04:16:23 am »

Why not just google it.  There are a number of dressmaker sites that do criticism of commercial dress patterns.
y

Well, that's the thing, I did. And the only thing I could find that actually mentioned the corset wasn't very informative. I figured I should take one last stab and ask here before just shrugging it off and getting to work with the scissors. I don't think as many people have tried this pattern as some of the others though.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 04:08:07 pm »

I haven't made that particular pattern, but I know that Simplicity patterns can have odd instructions. I know when I made the historical corset pattern, I had to do a lot of adjusting. There was a corset making group on LiveJournal, I don't know if they are still active, but they had some good information.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 06:36:46 pm »

I don't have that pattern so I can't comment directly but is there any chance of posing up a picture of the offending part (laid out next to the pieces that go either side of it) so we can have a look at the problem?

Yours,
Miranda.
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 03:18:59 am »

What I would say is mock up the offending piece and see how it fits the rest. Be sure to use no stretch fabric for the mock up otherwise fitting is going to be very difficult.   Corsets have some odd pattern shapes sometimes and with the mock up you can see if there are any problems before you cut your more expensive fabric.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 09:34:16 pm »

This pattern is actually on the top of my dressmaking work pile at the moment as the corset belt is the next thing I want to have a go at.  I was hoping to get a chance to do something with it this weekend but, as always, things haven't gone quite according to plan.  However I should be looking at it in the next few days so I'll let you know how I go on. 
And I'll be cutting it out in cheap fabric as a trial run just in case ....

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 09:35:20 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
I have two friends who work with corset patterns (not me, corset patterns me me nervous) and I'll ask their advice on the subject.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 05:23:02 pm »

Well, I had an hour yesterday so I had a go at this pattern and haven't had any problems getting the pieces to fit together as they should. ( I will have to tweak it to make it fit me perfectly but that's a different matter.)
If you can't extend it to fit please feel free to PM me an address and I'll send you a copy of the offending pattern piece - hope this is of help.

Regards,
Cora
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 07:42:23 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Both my corseteering friends say they had no problem with the corset pattern.

A mystery
I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 02:19:37 pm »

Thanks all for commenting. I've gone and made the lining first just in case anything is messed up, and I've found that hardly any if the panels are the right height x.x maybe they've fixed the pattern and my copy is just an earlier one...I can't see anywhere where I've obviously screwed up. The only thing I can think is that they miss-printed the names of the different panels (there is a miss-print on my instructions) and I cut the larger size of some panels and the smaller size of others without knowing? Seems unlikely though
However, this is my first 'corset' so perhaps I have gone wrong somewhere. I think the best solution is to just put them together and trim it down to fit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: